Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LingcodKilla posted:

Good lord why does the president hold this power? Was the presidency really this broken?

Don't answer that I already know.

You know all that poo poo about Norms and Traditions? Those get destroyed when you have an amoral president that doesn't give a poo poo about scandal. Bonus points when the Senate is too scared of his effects on their reelection to do anything about it.

The outrageous stuff isn't what's illegal, it's what's legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

everyone that flies the confederate flag should die IMO

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PookBear posted:

But 99% of them don't fly it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ded posted:

But 99% of them don't fly it

Some of them wear confederate flag banana hammocks.

Just because it looks like a flag, doesn't mean you should put it on your flagpole.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Bonus points when the Senate is too scared of his effects on their reelection to do anything about it.

That's a facade. They agree with him

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They also enjoy having a monkey run around and fling poo poo everywhere to distract everyone while they do the dirty work for their benefactors.

Sure, the poo poo smell is annoying sometimes, but the lack of spotlight is fantastic for their agenda.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Good lord why does the president hold this power? Was the presidency really this broken?

Just a reminder that he's been talking about this for a long time

https://www.voanews.com/press-freedom/trumps-voa-criticism-shows-us-funded-news-doesnt-mean-us-approved

quote:

Last month, President Donald Trump joined some of his predecessors who have taken issue with VOA's news coverage – but with unprecedented intensity and shrillness.

"If you heard what's coming out of the Voice of America, it's disgusting. What – things they say are disgusting toward our country," Trump said during a coronavirus news briefing in the Rose Garden on April 15th.

Trump's complaint essentially was two-fold: First, that the VOA had used dubious Chinese government data on the coronavirus infections and deaths in China in its reporting – an accusation vigorously disputed by the news organization.

And second, the president was irate that he had been unable to install a new head of VOA's parent organization – the U.S. Agency for Global Media – for over two years because of Democratic obstacles to confirmation in the Senate.

Trump has lamented before that he lacks control of a government-owned media outlet that reflects his values and those of his supporters. Last November, Trump suggested that the U.S. should create a state-run, global news network to counteract what he calls "unfair" and "fake" coverage from CNN and to show the world how "great" this country is.

It really goes to show how much tradition and self restraint have shaped politics that the closest to a caudillo America has seen is a spray tanned buffoon who never has had majority support.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Congress learned after the Iraq war that votes can have consequences for elections.

Why take a chance and vote for something that might get you kicked out of office, when you can muddle through and not actually do anything?

Then they passed along any real decision making to the White House and feigned helplessness. "Sorry, I'd really like to help with the heroin problem back home, but that darn Obama just won't let me!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PookBear posted:

Good news: everyone dies eventually, so mission accomplished I guess.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
hey cool. pretty much all of the states are going to do super deep cuts to medicaid and schools because mitch says let them go bankrupt.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How else are you going to train up the next generation of moron conservatives

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

hey cool. pretty much all of the states are going to do super deep cuts to medicaid and schools because mitch says let them go bankrupt.

McConnell has already flipped on that, now saying another stimulus bill is likely, but he wants tax cuts to go along with the state/federal funding, because of course he does. Tax cuts make number go up. Hell, even Senator Cornyn, a shitbag, said HEY, GOOD THING WE HAVE OBAMACARE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE the other day.

Ol' Turtleface and others flipped because the red states are now getting their budgets creamed by COVID, and plus:

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1261040872659001348?s=19

It just took COVID a little while to get out of the cities. Now it's in the Trump counties. Suddenly, more aid is needed!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

facialimpediment posted:

McConnell has already flipped on that, now saying another stimulus bill is likely, but he wants tax cuts to go along with the state/federal funding, because of course he does. Tax cuts make number go up. Hell, even Senator Cornyn, a shitbag, said HEY, GOOD THING WE HAVE OBAMACARE FOR HEALTH INSURANCE the other day.

Ol' Turtleface and others flipped because the red states are now getting their budgets creamed by COVID, and plus:

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1261040872659001348?s=19

It just took COVID a little while to get out of the cities. Now it's in the Trump counties. Suddenly, more aid is needed!

lmao

err

wait im not supposed to feel good about suffering

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
People reap what they sow. I only feel bad for the innocent people they needlessly risked infecting.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

lmao

err

You're more than welcome to feel good about it, I just ask that you don't actively revel in it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

lmao

err

The ability to delight in the misfortunes of others is the root of all humor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNally posted:

You're more than welcome to feel good about it, I just ask that you don't actively revel in it.

The pro move is to revel in it but not post about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I passively revel in it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mustang posted:

Lets just gerrymander the Republican party into a husk of its former existence. I personally don't give 2 shits about the thoughts or opinions of the illiterate hillbillies holding the richest nation on Earth hostage.

They're responsible for the last 4 years so we clearly can't trust them to not try to destroy the country at every opportunity.

I agree with this and I will continue to call out all my local politicians that want “fair” districts and not districts that will destroy the Republican Party forever

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I agree with this and I will continue to call out all my local politicians that want “fair” districts and not districts that will destroy the Republican Party forever

Adding to this, all the redistricting in the world still won't fix the Senate. Something like 25% of the voting population controls 60% of senators (or 12%-ish if you count only the winning votes). Rough numbers, I can't find the last article I read on mobile. It's hilariously undemocratic and it's only going to get worse as the flyover states lose population

E: Even with DC / Puerto Rico statehood we're still kinda hosed

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 15, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know how West Virginia broke from traitor Dixieland?

It would be a shame if something like that happened again.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Platystemon posted:

You know how West Virginia broke from traitor Dixieland?

It would be a shame if something like that happened again.

I don’t know if more feinsteins is going to be a net gain in the long run, though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Betsy DeVos: still the loving worst.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1261321107388366849?s=20

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When the expanded Patriot Act passes for warrantless search engine records, I'll let you guys know how my local FBI field office thinks of me.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

bulletsponge13 posted:

When the expanded Patriot Act passes for warrantless search engine records, I'll let you guys know how my local FBI field office thinks of me.

Dear Congress,

Please take it back, I didn't want to see any of that poo poo.

Very respectfully,
The FBI

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

2A doesn’t protect your digital guns so therefor,

I wish 2A people were as fervent about literally any other amendment.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 15, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

in this house

we DON'T quarter troops

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hey he at least followed the leader.

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1261327409304879104

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

in this house

we DON'T quarter troops

What about drawing and quartering?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Good riddance.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Doc Hawkins posted:

in this house

we DON'T quarter troops

Yeah, well in THIS house slavery and involuntary servitude are abolished!

Unless convicted of a crime, of course.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

piL posted:

Dear Congress,

Please take it back, I didn't want to see any of that poo poo.

Very respectfully,
The FBI

https://youtu.be/lzAuXuxD0Oo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1261357256127455233?s=20

Congrats on the flag Space Force

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to go back in time and tell starry-eyed teenage me that yes, in 20 years there will be a US Space Force, but it's going to be a half-assed PR stunt by an idiot reality show president.

Who knows, it might stop me from joining the Air Force.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That E9's uniform is approaching late stage dictatorship levels of flair.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Optimist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats on the flag Space Force

Apparently Trump was also talking about the new development of "a super duper missile".

I'm not making that up.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

A Bad Poster posted:

That E9's uniform is approaching late stage dictatorship levels of flair.

Standard for AF SNCO

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ah, the day after one of Space Forces' officers was found dead. Good timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Netflix viral marketing is getting more and more intense.