Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Definitely 'eventually'. We arent welcome in America right now. Might give them the 'rona or something.

I meant eventually as in next time I'm looking for work. So in about 3 years at most, maybe less.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

getting paid around 30% less in wellington than i was getting in the bay area, but life is way better and we're living like kings as dual income programmers. for example, using the proceeds from selling the shithole in la honda, we just bought a 2br apartment in the middle of the city with views all around, plus cash left over that we're thinking of using to buy a few hectares an hour out of town within biking distance of a train station

but it does seem like if you wanna really get paid, the strategy here is to work for places that hire remote. so far i know people here who are working remote for github, ubuntu, and apple so there seem to be plenty of options if you're good at codin

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

page 1

The Management posted:

drat, London devs are getting owned big time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

drat

sports
Sep 1, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what's your ocaml question

for ocaml jobs not ocaml questiosn

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

some folks would probably take a significantly lower salary for a competent government but that’s definitely not the uk lol
yeah, london combines the incompetent fascist government with a cost of living about the same as san francisco/nyc while senior tech positions pay like 40-60k pounds

this is why I laugh when british cop shows have a detective living in a brand new 2 story condo

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is london like vancouver in being a preferred vacation destination and wealth parking place for money launderers?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

No, London has an economy that's not based around house trading.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

sports posted:

well, you could work for facebook, or you could work for jane street, or you could work for bloomberg, or you could go gently caress yourself. sound about right?

i actually programmed professionally in ocaml at two different companies. one of them doesn't use ocaml anymore and the other doesn't exist anymore. at this point i gave up on an ocaml-based career. there are vanishingly few jobs. if you can get a few like-minded folks together, you can do a startup... and all the stuff with fb's "reason" is raising ocaml's profile as a serious language, but still you'd probably have an easier time immigrating to france than finding an ocaml job outside of france

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qirex posted:

yeah, london combines the incompetent fascist government with a cost of living about the same as san francisco/nyc while senior tech positions pay like 40-60k pounds

this is why I laugh when british cop shows have a detective living in a brand new 2 story condo
yeah london is loving weird, i could make about 15% more in return for paying about 3x what i do now for the privilege of a roof over my head, also it would be 5x the distance from my workplace probably

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
an old coworker is trying to poach me and i'm curious whether his minnesota finance company is going to try to compete with my current nyc tech figgies (no way i'm moving)

sports posted:

er, maybe try to find an f# shop? not that that's easy either and i don't actually know how similar they are in practice

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

raminasi posted:

an old coworker is trying to poach me and i'm curious whether his minnesota finance company is going to try to compete with my current nyc tech figgies (no way i'm moving)

update: idk how this will end up but it's really nice to start tasting the career stage where job interviews consist of director-level hiring managers reaching out to say "based on my past experience working with you you'd be great for this position i just created"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

a bit unrelated but I did find it funny when the aforementioned multinational didn't even bother having someone local talk to me first and I'm having only calls with hiring managers and engineers in the US

which also makes me a bit nervous since I'm definitely not that experienced yet, but apparently they don't have a firmware team locally yet and I'd have a senior position in it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 15, 2020

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Just had a phone interview with a company that saw my 1.5 years of development experience and thought I would be a fit for a senior software engineer. It went well and they're moving me on to step two. Keep your fingers crossed for me because this would nearly double the ol salary

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Asleep Style posted:

Just had a phone interview with a company that saw my 1.5 years of development experience and thought I would be a fit for a senior software engineer. It went well and they're moving me on to step two. Keep your fingers crossed for me because this would nearly double the ol salary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oLqMwzvBY

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
a recruiter reached out to me for a much better job in the middle of this pandemic. i wasn't even really looking but i thought i'd hear him out. turns out computer touching is a good place to be when nobody can go anywhere. this is the first time i get to start from a strong position in a job interview and that's thanks to this thread. i would never have thought to interview when i was happy with my job before

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

greps of wrath posted:

a recruiter reached out to me for a much better job in the middle of this pandemic. i wasn't even really looking but i thought i'd hear him out. turns out computer touching is a good place to be when nobody can go anywhere. this is the first time i get to start from a strong position in a job interview and that's thanks to this thread. i would never have thought to interview when i was happy with my job before

excellent. try “well, i like my current role, so it would really have to be something special for me to leave”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a boss i had 10+ years ago reached out yesterday to offer me to do a pretty neat little research software project for them. very timely (tiny money, but i had nothing much going on, and it does seem really cool), and once again demonstrates the value of maintaining your past professional contacts a bit.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

raminasi posted:

if they're even sorta competitive I already like living here

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Munkeymon posted:

if they're even sorta competitive I already like living here

turns out they have a nyc office anyway so i wouldn’t have to move

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i thought some basic ops knowledge would look good on a cv but in retrospect now people think i can't program?

maybe i should tone it down a bit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

job hunting quantum physics: every company is looking for someone with either a wider or more specialized skill set than you present but you can’t know which one until the waveform collapses when you get rejected

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

suffix posted:

i thought some basic ops knowledge would look good on a cv but in retrospect now people think i can't program?

maybe i should tone it down a bit

if you’re a developer, do not mention anything that would make you sound like an ops person, a build engineer, a tester, a sysadmin, DBA, program manager, or anything else that isn’t developer. not even in passing, unless you want to do these things.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qirex posted:

job hunting quantum physics: every company is looking for someone with either a wider or more specialized skill set than you present but you can’t know which one until the waveform collapses when you get rejected

call forums poster bob dobbs is dead

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
whole point of my thingy is that it does xorsat instead of wavefunction collapse

so you just gotta satisfy hr. maybe involves lying

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

The Management posted:

if you’re a developer, do not mention anything that would make you sound like an ops person, a build engineer, a tester, a sysadmin, DBA, program manager, or anything else that isn’t developer. not even in passing, unless you want to do these things.

If you're in ops and know development, and the interviewer asks you to create an application that responds to 3 specific URIs and then create the Terraform/Ansible to deploy the application, they're probably just trying to get you to do their job.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

drunk mutt posted:

If you're in ops and know development, and the interviewer asks you to create an application that responds to 3 specific URIs and then create the Terraform/Ansible to deploy the application, they're probably just trying to get you to do their job.

I don’t know what any of this means. sounds like an ops person, we were looking for a developer, deleted.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qirex posted:

Look for SRE jobs, maybe even use that language in your resume/cover letters. Or call it "production experience"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if you're resume isn't just a list of npm packages you've created sorted by downloads it's going in the trash

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

Look for SRE jobs, maybe even use that language in your resume/cover letters. Or call it "production experience"
that was a joke, not a complaint. I'm a designer but I know sres and I'd rather work retail

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

drunk mutt posted:

lol the number of times i've run into exactly this. strange how they each ghosted me after i asked for an assurance it wasn't going to be used in production

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol the number of times i've run into exactly this. strange how they each ghosted me after i asked for an assurance it wasn't going to be used in production

You didn't do the weird stand up and go, "uh, so I think we're done here" thing?

I totally did once, it was not well received and I'm pretty sure bridges were burnt. So yea, this actually happened to me and I was totally taken back and mad at the recruiter for putting me into that poo poo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
lol i got the official job description for the position the hiring manager reached out to me specifically for, and several "requirements" i don't meet

always ignore listed job requirements

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

london is a joke don't go to london

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My understanding is that London is even more of an absurd exclusionary playground for the rich and their offspring than NYC is

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

3rd party recruiters are incentivized to get people hired at the lowest possible salary, right? I just had a tech screen that went well. The recruiter texted me afterwards and was super pushy about my current base salary, even after I said that based on the responsibilities of the position it wouldn't be worth it to me to switch for less than $number.

I guess mostly I'm curious how they structure their business. I assume they're given a target range from the company and when they place someone they get a flat commission plus a fraction of how much lower they get the candidate compared to the target range. Is that roughly correct?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

no, they're incentivized to get butts in seats at any rate, any salary, anything, they get some percentage of the first year salary

it's hiring managers that want the salary as low as possible

the incentive to get butt in seat means they want you to lower your ask and the hiring manager to raise theirs as fast as possible, and knowing your current base is a great way for them to do that

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
Unless it's a contracting or temp company. Then they're incentivized to lower your salary so they can keep the rest of the money they're charging the end company.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

That all tracks, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

silvergoose posted:

they get some percentage of the first year salary

note that slimier recruiters will loudly advertise this fact to convince you that they're 100% on your side and hope that you don't understand that their BATNA for a placement is zero dollars. when a third-party recruiter negotiates on your behalf, they are negotiating from a position about as strong as you being unemployed, and every hiring manager who can tie their shoes knows it.