Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pants Donkey posted:

Remember when people thought mobile games would threaten Nintendo’s reign over handheld gaming?

Which...it did at one point, but then every developer decided to drown their mobile games in monetization bullshit.

Mobile gaming has seriously cut into Nintendo's handheld gaming business, and will continue to do so. Compare 3ds sales to Nintendo DS sales. I don't think anything like the success Nintendo achieved with the DS could ever happen again, mostly because of mobile gaming. A whole audience of casual and light game players who absolutely ate up poo poo like Nintendogs and Brain Age can find experiences like that on the ios and Android app stores. There's a reason why Nintendo is essentially positioning the Switch Lite as their new handheld, even at the cost of cannibalizing the end of the 3ds's life cycle. I doubt Nintendo is going to release a dedicated handheld independent of the Switch anytime soon either, and is likely to stick with their hybrid portable console strategy for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

robot roll call posted:

Play Miku? Dorks!

Play Miku!
- Dorks

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pants Donkey posted:

Remember when people thought mobile games would threaten Nintendo’s reign over handheld gaming?

Which...it did at one point, but then every developer decided to drown their mobile games in monetization bullshit.

Mobile games were the biggest reason why Nintendo's casual audience cash cow with the Wii and DS went away. Nintendo just managed to Nintendo and adapt to the changing market with the Switch.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Weedle posted:

nvidia made a really good one called the shield k1 that had a bunch of legitimately good ports of pc and console games like half-life 2, portal, borderlands 2, metal gear rising, tomb raider, etc. and they were going to make a shield k2 but then nintendo was like "make the switch for us instead" so they did

The Shield Tablet was great. Unfortunately, Nvidia eventually stopped updating it, and the hardware couldn't keep up with more modern games. It was a good couple of years, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

There's a reason why Nintendo is essentially positioning the Switch Lite as their new handheld, even at the cost of cannibalizing the end of the 3ds's life cycle. I doubt Nintendo is going to release a dedicated handheld independent of the Switch anytime soon either, and is likely to stick with their hybrid portable console strategy for a while.

The Switch Lite is 100% their new handheld. The thing is the size of a GBA and it fits in my pocket, why would I need anything smaller? I honestly wasn't even interested in Switch until the lite came out. The normal one is just slightly too large.

Its a brilliant strategy really, to merge the console and handheld. Computer power and graphics have really started to taper off over the last few years. The leap to PS5 is much less impressive than PS4, and lots of modern games have a style that isn't graphics intensive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheMadMilkman posted:

Remember how Second Life was supposed to be the future of online entertainment, with digital equivalents for real life events?

We’re getting all of that now, except it’s happening in a game where you live on an island with a grumpy anthropomorphic bear and shake furniture out of trees.

2020 is amazing.

It's Litter Removal Service: The Video Game

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So Monster Hunter Gen U just went on crazy good sale. The last one I played before world was MH4U which was amazing but I feel like World might have soured my experience on the traditional ones. How is GU on the switch? Worth getting?

This is NZD, so USD equiv: 20USD

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

So Monster Hunter Gen U just went on crazy good sale. The last one I played before world was MH4U which was amazing but I feel like World might have soured my experience on the traditional ones. How is GU on the switch? Worth getting?

it owns

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
By the way if you're getting the new Miku game there's a bundle that comes with all the dlc that has been released up to now, if you think you'll eventually want all of it that's a good value.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm actually disappointed at the preformance in portable (or Switch Lite mode)? Like I know they had to downgrade the graphics from a PS4 game quite a lot, giving it a toon shader which I actually think looks nice, but the frames just start to chug when it's a song with more than one vocaloid. It's distracting as hell to me, and I can't imagine how a song like DECORATOR handles having all the vocaloids on screen at once

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm pretty disappointed that a bunch of songs that even in the 3DS game had alternate vocals, now don't seem to. Can't do a Rin Electric Angel or a Luka Romeo and Cinderella.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiteski posted:

It’s the ultimate pre-World MH. It’s great and packed full of content.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

If you played an old one and enjoyed it, Gen U is amazing. It's a lot closer to World than, say, 3U or something. As soon as you grab it, get all the free DLC: it's a huge chunk of money and materials that will keep you from needing to do much mat grinding in the early game. I played 400 hours of GenU and:

1: Never did an egg quest (unless there was a key quest I'm forgetting)
2: Never went on a specific honey run
3: Never was seriously gated by money
4: After I got the farm going, never needed to spend time focusing on anything other than killing the monsters I wanted to farm or doing key quests

And this is soloing halfway through G rank. I played 300+ hours each of 4U, World, and Gen U in that order and if I were going to fire one up tonight to play, it would be Gen U.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s really good if you’ve never touched MHW.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Sweet, I bought the bullet (and the game). Even if I don't jam it for long, MonHun was a great pickup game for me onthe 3DS for killing 30-60 minutes so this should see plenty of use.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've touched a lot of MHW and it's still really good :colbert:

It has an absolute ton of stuff MHW doesn't, including the very important ability to play as a cat.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
If you've enjoyed the earlier ones before, I found it really easy to go back. Hell, you might actually dislike some of the "QoL" changes once you relive playing the old ones. Maybe, I know I did.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tempura Wizard posted:

Play Miku!
- Dorks
Being a dork, I'm seriously considering getting it despite playing Future Tone for more than 100 hours...but maybe the cheaper option would be just to delete my save game in Future Tone and set all my records again.

I'm approaching that much time with Groove Coaster Waiwai Party though anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Being a dork, I'm seriously considering getting it despite playing Future Tone for more than 100 hours...but maybe the cheaper option would be just to delete my save game in Future Tone and set all my records again.

I'm approaching that much time with Groove Coaster Waiwai Party though anyway.

Right there with you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I agree with this.

It’s a steal at $20 though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ogmius815 posted:

Compare 3ds sales to Nintendo DS sales.

It's insane to see that 2/3 of sales were the DS Lite

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
MHGU has an absolute fuckload of content. Don't forget to download the free DLC, the item packs have a ton of crafting materials and sellables that can carry you to G-Rank easily. There's a bunch of DLC quests too with monsters and hunts that used to be limited to online events in previous games.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do I have to start a new game to download the DLC im about 10 hours in can I still claim it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kvlt! posted:

Do I have to start a new game to download the DLC im about 10 hours in can I still claim it?

You can claim it any time

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

You do not. Talk to the chamberlyne (or whoever is your housekeeper) and there should be an option to claim the dlc packs.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Chronojam posted:

It's insane to see that 2/3 of sales were the DS Lite

is it? the lite was way nicer than the original ds and i bet they got a ton of upgrades in addition to the usual cohort that waits for the hardware revision

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I remember the Lite feeling like a massive upgrade over the original DS. The aesthetics and screens were miles better. The dpad was better on the original though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it amusing that the game caused so much controversy back in the day only to be rated T for Teen by today's standards.
The developers of Carmageddon were extremely amused when they did a mobile port of their controversial original game, and it got a mere 12+ age rating from Apple...

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I got a lite about a month ago and only have ACNH and smash. There’s like 15 games I plan to get eventually but I think for now I’m leaning toward Mario tennis lol. I have always loved the series.

Is it worth paying full price for it? I still need to play botw, fire emblem, and every game, but for some reason tennis feels like what I want right now.

I also learned about joycon issues with drifting after I’d bought the light. If/when that starts happening can it be repaired? If I knew about that I’m not sure I would’ve gone with the lite and not be able to replace the controller..

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 16, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mario Tennis Aces is worth about $40 if you really like playing online fighting games and maybe $20 if you just like Mario Tennis games.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is the Switch port of The Messenger really bad or do the controls really just not work very well for me personally? I've played Celeste and Hollow Knight and consider myself pretty competent at action platformers but the movement in the Messenger feels terrible to me and I can't seem to stop dying even to extremely early basic stuff. Is there input lag or is the problem me?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i think you can repair the lite but you obviously would have to send your whole system in, and Nintendo (NA) isn't open for repairs right now.

if it starts drifting I think you can just use a pro controller or something?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i think you can repair the lite but you obviously would have to send your whole system in, and Nintendo (NA) isn't open for repairs right now.

if it starts drifting I think you can just use a pro controller or something?

Oh you’re right, I was under the impression the lite didn’t support external controllers.

I’ll probably try and find a used copy of Aces and get a nice single player game for now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tetramin posted:

I got a lite about a month ago and only have ACNH and smash. There’s like 15 games I plan to get eventually but I think for now I’m leaning toward Mario tennis lol. I have always loved the series.

Is it worth paying full price for it? I still need to play botw, fire emblem, and every game, but for some reason tennis feels like what I want right now.

I also learned about joycon issues with drifting after I’d bought the light. If/when that starts happening can it be repaired? If I knew about that I’m not sure I would’ve gone with the lite and not be able to replace the controller..

I think it’s worth getting. The mechanics are fantastic once you get used to them and the online is pretty good.

Nintendo will fix your drift for free if it starts happening, although they’re closed down for repairs at the moment due to the pandemic.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

Is the Switch port of The Messenger really bad or do the controls really just not work very well for me personally? I've played Celeste and Hollow Knight and consider myself pretty competent at action platformers but the movement in the Messenger feels terrible to me and I can't seem to stop dying even to extremely early basic stuff. Is there input lag or is the problem me?

Controls are fine, game is bad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My wife had a ds and 3ds but doesn’t have a switch. She plays stardew valley on her phone and if she wants to play a switch game has mine.

Some people did switch to phones!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How does Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee hold up?

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 16, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Fallom posted:

Controls are fine, game is bad

I was really shocked when I tried the messenger after all the hype and found it to be tremendously boring

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kart Barfunkel posted:

How does Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee hold up?

I played the original and thought the controls felt dated even back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Al-Saqr posted:

I was really shocked when I tried the messenger after all the hype and found it to be tremendously boring

Who had Messenger hype