Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Whip sounds real good, and it's great to have an actual weapon now that does summoner damage. And the targeting is a nice bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dackel posted:

Whip sounds real good, and it's great to have an actual weapon now that does summoner damage. And the targeting is a nice bonus

Summoner is my preferred playstyle as it generally lets me focus on not getting my face caved in by obvious attacks I'd have dodged had I not been trying to make sure I'm shooting in the right direction. So it's fun to be able to weave a little extra damage in in the downtime.

I'm bad at Terraria, y'all.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Bad Munki posted:

"Well I'm getting close to broke and this one is only a LITTLE worse than what I started with, guess I'll stop here'

...too many times...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Saxophone posted:

Summoner is my preferred playstyle as it generally lets me focus on not getting my face caved in by obvious attacks I'd have dodged had I not been trying to make sure I'm shooting in the right direction. So it's fun to be able to weave a little extra damage in in the downtime.

I'm bad at Terraria, y'all.

Same here, I love summoners. And this update has a LOT of good stuff for us. One of the big ones others mentioned is less interference with immunity frames of your summons hitting enemies. Perfect for mp. Also the new finch summon which seems to spawn in chests of Living wood biome.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

https://www.twitch.tv/badger

Badger's also doing a discovery stream too and having an extremely wholesome blast right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do Journey-Master or just go straight in with Master so I'm forced to engage with everything "normally".

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

are there going to be goon servers? will any be amenable to a guy who hasn't played since like 2012? my conception of Terraria is "dig down and find cool stuff and build a house"

I used to like to make houses underwater by displacing water with blocks and that's my highlight

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are there going to be goon servers? will any be amenable to a guy who hasn't played since like 2012? my conception of Terraria is "dig down and find cool stuff and build a house"

I used to like to make houses underwater by displacing water with blocks and that's my highlight

This is still exactly what the game is, only moreso.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Game is basically the same except there's actual variety going sideways for a bit before digging down and there's plenty more options for everything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Buddy if you don’t know all the crazy speed run min-max tricks and just want to drown while building a house you’ll fit right in, don’t be shy

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I second grieving for Gandalf, it would be pretty cool to play Journey's End on a goon server. I have been starting to re-familiarize myself with the game, but multiplayer is something I don't know much about.

Is there currently a way to do a world that doesn't involve 3rd party server software or having everyone be Steam friends?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Is there currently a way to do a world that doesn't involve 3rd party server software or having everyone be Steam friends?

Yes, either via just Hosting in-game, or by hosting via the dedicated server executable in the game folder.
Either way, players will be able to connect using your IP. (And if you are hosting a dedicated server on the same computer, you can connect to your own server by typing in localhost instead of an IP address.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

The guy with an one hour rant on twitch? Forgot about him, what a douche.\

Edit: Here is the video, don't waste time watching it or do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m78EGWgvN0

"No my girlfriend didn't leave me, I have a humongous dick, and I'm good looking and I make decent money" Around 1 minute in.

quote:

EDIT AS OF 9/29/19: It has also come out that HERO was, and from what I know is still, suffering from a horrible disease that has not only crippled him physically, but mentally changed him. It appears he has a bacterial infection in his brain from an dangerous bacteria called Bartonella. All of the details are on his twitter but this poor man has been suffering for years before this incident. After reading the details of the disease it's clear to see that it had definitely caused him to end up where he is now, and to act how he acted. I still feel terrible for leaving this video up but at this point it is he best option for HERO's image, other content creators have uploaded shorter clips that cherry-pick what he said making him look even worse.
Well that takes the fun out of that, a bit.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Well that takes the fun out of that, a bit.

drat....

Edit:

Video uploader posted:

I think I need to say something here. I truly regret uploading this video. I took advantage of a man having a breakdown and posted it for the world to see, this is exploitation at its finest. I apologize to HERO for uploading this video. While the things he said were pretty crazy, this is just exploitation. If he wants this video removed I would be happy to do so. The argument of "if you didn't do it someone else would have" definitely applies here, but I still feel bad about it. Please try to be respectful and look at this situation from his point of view. He was a man having an episode, this is not a reflection of who he is as a person at all, please try to remember that.

some rando posted:

doesn't make the meltdown any less funny.

benzine fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 16, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hey new topic

new topic?

can't wait to... use a flail

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How about the fact that Quality of Life changes take up several pages of changelog by themselves? Even something as simple as reducing duplicate rewards from the Angler and letting you get the fishing guide items even more easily goes a long way.
Or ooh, the Picksaw now drops independent of other reward drops from the Golem, making it way easier to get without grinding.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

How about the fact that Quality of Life changes take up several pages of changelog by themselves?

Just with block swap is more than enough to have me exited.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm actually bummed that they differentiated drills/pickaxes, because I always preferred pickaxes because the repetitive BRR BRR BRR noise the drills make drives me insane but now drills dig faster(which is more important than the extra reach of pickaxes, IMO).

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've never used a drill or chainsaw and I still don't have any reason to; I prefer the sound and rhythm of pickaxes over the speed and cacophony of drills.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Any recommended specs for a large world multiplayer server? Dedicated. I’m guessing ram is the biggest demand?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Kanos posted:

I'm actually bummed that they differentiated drills/pickaxes, because I always preferred pickaxes because the repetitive BRR BRR BRR noise the drills make drives me insane but now drills dig faster(which is more important than the extra reach of pickaxes, IMO).

if i understand it correctly they drill faster unbuffed but can’t be buffed or something like that

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It might be a math tweak? It didn't say you can't buff drills. Maybe it's a case of what happens at the high end when you factor in pickaxe range.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I personally love drills, but that's mostly due to having a lot of fun with one before, back in the day when there were sequence-skipping mechanics they used to encourage as a gift to Mobile players

My best moment in Terraria was finding a (Hallow ore tier) Drax in a chest during early game before I even had my first armor, and skipping a ton of tiers. With it I could blast away tunnels as fast as I could run, and even attack bosses with it quite effectively. Killed Wall of Flesh with the drill, and it was overpowered all the way to the Mechanical Bosses.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Patware posted:

It might be a math tweak? It didn't say you can't buff drills. Maybe it's a case of what happens at the high end when you factor in pickaxe range.

“All drills and chainsaws now dig faster than their non-mechanical counterparts, but have shorter range. Additionally, optimized digging loadouts still perform better on pickaxes/axes, but drills and chainsaws will be faster on non-optimized loadouts”

yeah seems like they still can be buffed but they’re not as optimal. either way i don’t think it’s gonna be something worth fretting about unless you’re like doing speed runs or something?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Dangit when is it going live I want to play new Terraria!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

E-Tank posted:

Dangit when is it going live I want to play new Terraria!

4½ hours?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
10AM Pacific time.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mayveena posted:

10AM Pacific time.

He should release it early, in honor of his game getting leaked the first time, haha.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

watho posted:

“All drills and chainsaws now dig faster than their non-mechanical counterparts, but have shorter range. Additionally, optimized digging loadouts still perform better on pickaxes/axes, but drills and chainsaws will be faster on non-optimized loadouts”

yeah seems like they still can be buffed but they’re not as optimal. either way i don’t think it’s gonna be something worth fretting about unless you’re like doing speed runs or something?

Yeah, to me that reads like "drills will by default be faster, but the difference is less than what a good modifier will get you."

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Any plans for goon multiplayer servers yet? I do know for master mode, I want a good connection (aka, a close server) or to play singleplayer since lag can be a very real game killer...

How do we want to coordinate this?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can just throw up a server on my home machine with a gigabit connection but I'm sure there's a better solution

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it is now the beginning of the end

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ll be running one hosted in Chicago, I think it was. Maybe St. Louis? I’ll double check in a bit.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I’ll be running one hosted in Chicago, I think it was. Maybe St. Louis? I’ll double check in a bit.

mine's DC, but I wouldn't wanna split a population for nothing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

:ohdear: Same, I was really happy when the hardmode ore stuff implemented pickaxes.

I think this specifically doesn't work anymore. You need to get rid of the water by other means.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zereth posted:

I think this specifically doesn't work anymore. You need to get rid of the water by other means.

no........ how could they

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wow, even just those graphic tweaks are pretty incredible. I haven't touched this game in years but I am back in for this.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Is there enough new content to give this another go since last playing it in 2015 and pretty much completing it 80 or 90% back then?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Medieval Medic posted:

Is there enough new content to give this another go since last playing it in 2015 and pretty much completing it 80 or 90% back then?
They added like 1000 items in this update alone, plus something like 200 pages of new changes, rebalances, and quality of life improvements. Also, if you haven't played since early 2015 you'll also get to witness the new final boss and a couple events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

no........ how could they
You'll just need to build the house then set up some pumps and wiring to pump it out like everybody else.