Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember one pre-prequel theory was that while the blade itself was massless, it had a sort of gyroscopic effect that made it harder to swing around

swinging around an impossibly sharp sword whose blade had no mass seems like it would be difficult enough w/o filling it w gyroscopes. when you cant get a sense of where the dangerous parts are by feel, youd better goddamn well be loaded up w psychic wizard powers or else you are gonna chop yrself in twain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

While I also agree that an infrared lightsaber would be visible to the naked eye, the question if would be bright enough to feel toasty nearby

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SlothfulCobra posted:

Of course, in the old EU any goddamn crystal would work, so Luke's new jedi could use old family heirlooms and junk.

I seem to recall that occasionally newbie Jedi would fry their first lightsabers by putting in crappy crystals, so you obviously couldn't just huck a chunk of quartz in there and go to town. I think Corran Horn killed his once by using cubic zirconium, thinking it was a real diamond (he pulled it off of some pirate treasure or something).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Luke cooked his crystal up using an easy-bake he found in Obi-Wan's hovel like a meth head.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

galagazombie posted:

The amount of times I've seen people play at lightsabers (or even real life fencing) and hit themselves or even unknowingly graze a limb is all the proof you need that using a lightsaber without being a wizard is suicide.

The gap between "trained since a young age with swords" and "a dumbass swinging around what they know with a toy" is already pretty large, even without wizard powers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Polaron posted:

I seem to recall that occasionally newbie Jedi would fry their first lightsabers by putting in crappy crystals, so you obviously couldn't just huck a chunk of quartz in there and go to town. I think Corran Horn killed his once by using cubic zirconium, thinking it was a real diamond (he pulled it off of some pirate treasure or something).

Tennel Ka, from the Young Jedi Knights series, constructed her first lightsaber by making a bunch of beautiful engravings on a rancor tooth that she used for the handle, then just crammed all the other stuff into it haphazardly at the last minute, including a flawed focusing crystal from a volcano near the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. She was rushing it because she'd been dicking around doing physical training while her friends were actually taking their time to construct their lightsabers properly, because she believed that a well-trained warrior could easily make up for any deficiencies in their weapon.

Her lightsaber promptly malfunctioned and shorted out during her first sparring session against Jacen Solo, leading to her arm getting cut off and blown up when the lightsaber exploded a few seconds later. :v:

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Her lightsaber promptly malfunctioned and shorted out during her first sparring session against Jacen Solo, leading to her arm getting cut off and blown up when the lightsaber exploded a few seconds later. :v:

Emrikol posted:

They're plasma swords used by space wizards, that they made out of junk and crystals.

Jedi are basically just Orks when you get right down to it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are the humans in Star Wars actually humans despite being from a different galaxy? Or is it a Barsoom style thing where they look exactly like humans but actually lay eggs or whatever?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Originally Lucas wanted to set the film in the 33rd century, so the humans likely would have originated from Earth, though obviously that went out the window when he decided to give it the fairy tale intro text.

In the old EU there was a cancelled book that would have revealed that the humans in Star Wars were the descendants of the characters from American Graffiti who were fleeing Earth to escape the dystopian society of THX-1138, and then fell into a wormhole that also sent them across space and time, where they crash-landed on prehistoric Corellia. This was never published though, so I think the closest they got was saying the human homeworld was ultimately unknown, though archeologists found evidence that they evolved from a different species on Coruscant after evicting the race that would go on to become the Mandalorians 100,000 years before the films.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I always kinda liked the idea that Tatooine was the human homeworld. I think that was implied in KotOR.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, that had the story about Tatooine once being a lush world with an advanced society. They attracted the attention of the standard Bioware ancient aliens, who then came and abducted them and bred them as slaves across the galaxy before glassing the planet into a desert. The abductees became modern humans, and the survivors on the planet became the Jawas and the Sand People.

The EU had a bunch of human offshoot species. Any alien with a rubber mask for a head is considered "humanoid" and is it's own being, but any of the ones that are just humans with purple skin or poo poo coming out of their heads are "near-human", and either an evolutionary branch from ancient human explorers, or the result of genetic experimentation (apparently Twi'Leks and Zabraks are the latter).

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm going to be honest, most of the stuff EU explains is stuff I never wanted explained in the first place. The Mandelorian is a great because, while it happens in the same universe, it doesn't depend on the events of the movies to move along.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Despite how they'd later be portrayed, Lucas wanted the Y-wings to feel light and fast so they were designed to resemble stripped-down hot rods. An earlier draft of the script where Luke flew one (with Threepio as his gunner) even had a crewman mention the weight reduction before the battle.

The latest in-universe explanation is that most of the Rebels' Y-wings were stolen from salvage yards that had already begun stripping them for parts, and keeping the armor plating off was the easiest way to keep the 20 year old ships running. This version of Y-Wings became so popular that the ones used in Episode 9 were apparently manufactured without armor plating specifically to be marketable to people with Rebel nostalgia.

making purchasing decisions about military hardware based on nostalgia seems like a bad idea

it would have been funny if the US fought the first Gulf War with a bunch of Sherman tanks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in the battle at Hoth, the AT-ATs shrug off fire from everything the Alliance ground forces can muster, even the big cool dish weapons:

is this because:

A) these don't actually represent heavy artillery and were never intended to win against Imperial walkers, maybe just against raiders or a local warlord

or

B) the Rebels' field artillery would have been hot poo poo years ago, but the AT-AT is new and substantially deadlier than prior walkers

?

(even though they don't do poo poo to the imperials, i still love the big glowy dish guns :3: )

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

in the battle at Hoth, the AT-ATs shrug off fire from everything the Alliance ground forces can muster, even the big cool dish weapons:

is this because:

A) these don't actually represent heavy artillery and were never intended to win against Imperial walkers, maybe just against raiders or a local warlord

or

B) the Rebels' field artillery would have been hot poo poo years ago, but the AT-AT is new and substantially deadlier than prior walkers

?

(even though they don't do poo poo to the imperials, i still love the big glowy dish guns :3: )

I think it just doesn't have enough fire power, same goes for the white gun towers. So I think A is spot on. Like a .50 cal gun emplacement could tear a car apart or suppress soldiers on foot, but if you had a bunch of tanks rolling up on you, you're going to need something with a lot more punch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it's a bit weird that the Rebels managed to get the massive anti-ship cannon but didn't have any heavy artillery for use against ground targets, but the plan was to just put up a fight long enough to bug out anyways. Maybe the gun emplacements could hold off some AT-STs and the ground infantry, but the AT-AT armor was too thick.

There was an even more obscure third type of gun emplacement on Hoth other than the dishes and the white ones that apparently in the EU was actually originally cutting lasers that they carved the base with in the first place.

Their only appearance outside of way off in the backgrounds of Empire Strikes Back has been in lego form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa3vDAB47f4

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I've seen the EC Henry vids and, tbh are those sleds stopping anything the other guns aren't?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
iirc most of the big guns the Rebels had in the field were the equivalent of a 50 cal or a 20mm cannon and the walkers were basically a Space Abrams

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Those ion cannons on Hoth and the ones used in Rogue One seem pretty OP. Just a few blasts and a capitol ship is disabled. Why weren't they used more?

If I had access to them, I'd blast everything, everywhere, all day long with ion cannons.

Edit: Upon reading, the large cannons that can disable ships draw too much power and can only be used with dedicated reactors on planets, or something. And Rogue One had ion torpedos not a cannon.

So rephrasing...why don't all ships just have massive banks of ion torpedo launchers?

And I won't bother to mention that in the X-Wing/TIE Fghter games, fighter-ship mounted ion cannons exist and like a dozen shots disable Star Destroys, Mon Calamari Cruisers, and other capitol ships...except I did mention it, though I guess those cannons aren't officially CANON. :haw:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 20, 2021

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Those ion cannons on Hoth and the ones used in Rogue One seem pretty OP. Just a few blasts and a capitol ship is disabled. Why weren't they used more?

If I had access to them, I'd blast everything, everywhere, all day long with ion cannons.

Edit: Upon reading, the large cannons that can disable ships draw too much power and can only be used with dedicated reactors on planets, or something. And Rogue One had ion torpedos not a cannon.

So rephrasing...why don't all ships just have massive banks of ion torpedo launchers?

And I won't bother to mention that in the X-Wing/TIE Fghter games, fighter-ship mounted ion cannons exist and like a dozen shots disable Star Destroys, Mon Calamari Cruisers, and other capitol ships...except I did mention it, though I guess those cannons aren't officially CANON. :haw:

From my experience playing TIE/Xwing/Squadrons games, it's either ion torpedoes or reg weapons. It takes a few ion torpedoes to take down shuttle, let alone a capital ship. With a coordinated strike and right wingmates ion torpedoes/cannons can absolutely gently caress up an enemy, willing your wingmates are coordinated enough to take advantage of the disabled starcraft. All in all, ion weapons are very dangerous given you and your squad know what the gently caress you are doing. I believe this is the case even outside of games.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well they don't exist outside of games so you're wrong on that count

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

indigi posted:

well they don't exist outside of games so you're wrong on that count

You got me there.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DrBouvenstein posted:

Rogue One had an ion .50cal in the kickass U-wing dropships

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Who What Now posted:

Rogue One had an ion .50cal in the kickass U-wing dropships

do we actually know it's an ion weapon, or is it just blue?

DrBouvenstein posted:

it took a lot more ion cannon shots than that in X-Wing/TIE-Fighter to disable a big capital starship

I think the ion torpedoes only went in after one of the shield domes on the Star Destroyer was popped? So maybe they can't punch through full shields on an impstar.

One question would be, how rare/expensive are those ion torpedoes? Can they actually chuck those around willy-nilly, or did Gold group spend half the Alliance's entire ion torpedo inventory to disable a single impstar? And how easy are they to intercept? Those Y-Wings got pretty dang close, comparatively speaking, before shooting.

That said we haven't actually seen a lot of instances of the Alliance going toe-to-toe with the Imperial Starfleet, so it's possible that they were using ion torps at, say, Endor, and we just didn't see them because that's not where the camera was pointing at in the brief interludes we did get.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

it took a lot more ion cannon shots than that in X-Wing/TIE-Fighter to disable a big capital starship

I think the ion torpedoes only went in after one of the shield domes on the Star Destroyer was popped? So maybe they can't punch through full shields on an impstar.

One question would be, how rare/expensive are those ion torpedoes? Can they actually chuck those around willy-nilly, or did Gold group spend half the Alliance's entire ion torpedo inventory to disable a single impstar? And how easy are they to intercept? Those Y-Wings got pretty dang close, comparatively speaking, before shooting.

That said we haven't actually seen a lot of instances of the Alliance going toe-to-toe with the Imperial Starfleet, so it's possible that they were using ion torps at, say, Endor, and we just didn't see them because that's not where the camera was pointing at in the brief interludes we did get.

Boring answer: Story

Sci-fi answer: Ion torpedoes are special ordinance. They probably cost a pretty credit when they're implemented, with a whole team of strategists behind when and where they're deployed.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wookiepedia says it's a M-45 repeating ion blaster

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ion torpedoes are always unguided, so you have to get close, or the opposing ship just moves out of the way. Any slight deviation from dead center on your boresight is going to be magnified at larger distances, so it's easy to just plain miss with them too. Regardless of cost, you wouldn't throw them around willy nilly, because you've got a limited loadout and you'd only use one if you were sure to get a hit.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Finger Prince posted:

Ion torpedoes are always unguided, so you have to get close, or the opposing ship just moves out of the way. Any slight deviation from dead center on your boresight is going to be magnified at larger distances, so it's easy to just plain miss with them too. Regardless of cost, you wouldn't throw them around willy nilly, because you've got a limited loadout and you'd only use one if you were sure to get a hit.

Don't tell me how to shoot my space guns, you're not my real dad!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Don't tell me how to shoot my space guns, you're not my real dad!

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Finger Prince posted:

Since when are the torpedoes unguided? Ion rockets sure, but wouldn't a missile or torpedo by definition be guided?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

Since when are the torpedoes unguided? Ion rockets sure, but wouldn't a missile or torpedo by definition be guided?

I mean it's star wars. Lasers are pretty much particle weapons.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Contemporary boat torpedoes, maybe. Space torpedoes? Impossible. Must be something to do with the ionizing radiation payload interfering with standard target tracking technologies.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Linux Pirate posted:

I mean it's star wars. Lasers are pretty much particle weapons.

Blasters aren’t lasers, they fire a burst of superheated plasma held together by a magnetic field. That’s why lightsabers deflect them

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Blasters aren’t lasers, they fire a burst of superheated plasma held together by a magnetic field. That’s why lightsabers deflect them

Always with the magnets. Can't explain how space tech (as opposed to space magic) works? Must be magnets. Might as well be superheated bolts of midichlorians.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Cage Kicker posted:

sorry I was talking about turbolasers being called lasers even though they aren't.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Finger Prince posted:

Always with the magnets. Can't explain how space tech (as opposed to space magic) works? Must be magnets. Might as well be superheated bolts of midichlorians.

if they were lasers there’d be no way to deflect them due to the whole light speed thing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, in theory with the force you could react faster than the speed of light with precognitive reflexes. Which I think it's implied that you still need force-assisted reflexes to block slower than light projectiles with a pretty thin implement.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why not make a riot shield out of lightsaber technology

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's a few things that are similar.

The gungans have personal shields that can deflect blasters.

The droid army used something similar, taking advantage of the "you can move through them slowly" element of gungan shields to fire from behind cover.

Then there's smaller wrist-mounted laser shields used by bounty hunters like Durge and the Mandalorians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hypothetical: instead of returning to Naboo, Queen Amidala continues to try shifting the Senate into action, and ineffectually at that. would the Trade Federation actually have literally starved the entire Naboo population to death?