Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Haha ok but seriously what should we do about the entrenched Bowsetteers
This poll is closed.
Join them 106 13.23%
Convince them to move on, to Melinda Megamelons 39 4.87%
Abstain 16 2.00%
28 3.50%
14 1.75%
32 4.00%
429 53.56%
Flame grenadegg 112 13.98%
10 1.25%
15 1.87%
Total: 801 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Stux posted:

literally any program that polls info from hardware monitoring which are all far more common and a much bigger security threat

could you give some examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
threadnought

Also, has anyone ever referred to a musician or other artist as having "Medically Induced Talent"? Cause I just came up with that one and it would be funny if nobody had ever said it before

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looper posted:

cheating in single player games is great, cheating in multiplayer where someone can break your game isn't very fun usually

other people having rights is often not fun but idk seems like the right thing to do anyway

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

precision posted:

threadnought

Also, has anyone ever referred to a musician or other artist as having "Medically Induced Talent"? Cause I just came up with that one and it would be funny if nobody had ever said it before

does tony iommi cutting his fingertips off count as "medically induced"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

could you give some examples

cpuz, hwmonitor, msi afterburner

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stux posted:

cpuz, hwmonitor, msi afterburner

naive queston, but can you not block outgoing traffic for those?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean in reality its all of them, you cant get the temp data from the cpu or whatever else without ring 0 access and most of them are very lazy in how they go about it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

real stuxbrain post here, yeah cpu-z is as big or bigger of a security threat as a driver that's constantly resident in kernel space and exposes god knows what kind of interface to user space lmao

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hello fbi, how's the weather up there ha ha nerd

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

naive queston, but can you not block outgoing traffic for those?

you mean block network traffic? thats not the issue, its that the access itself if poorly managed can potentially give the ability to do stuff like write abritrarily to physical memory at which point you cant really do anything about it, thats why the anti-cheat programs come down so hard on exploitable drivers and stop the games theyre attached to from running until its fixed, which then makes people mad at the anti-cheat program instead of just like, updating the driver or turning off the program running the vulnerable driver.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last time I updated my drivers it made windows be very confused and start defaulting to running games on integrated graphics

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

real stuxbrain post here, yeah cpu-z is as big or bigger of a security threat as a driver that's constantly resident in kernel space and exposes god knows what kind of interface to user space lmao

things like cpu-z are also using a ring 0 driver, stuff like OC utils you will have constantly open. the only reason anticheats are moving to kernal now is specifically because there are so many of these garbage drivers that are insanely vulnerable that its become one of the most common methods to exploit to get around traditional anticheat, and theyre also a risk for anything else but no one cared until the anticheat made them turn off their Sick Gamer Plugins or update a driver they downloaded 5 years ago and never updated.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

wow maybe its like you shouldn't just run a bunch of poo poo to increase the cross section of your kernel, like dozens of kernel anti-cheat drivers

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah obviously but the issue is gamers are fundamentally the most stupid people on this planet and are all running all sorts of bizarre garbage on their computers and now anti-cheat has to dive into drivers to account for it, so once again, the people at fault are The Gamers.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
blaming The Gamers is the first thing I've understood in like 20 posts and I'm down.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the only kernels I'm interested in go in the microwave, now that's a good Friday night

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the only good anti-cheat was punching your friend for screenwatching in goldeneye

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Looper posted:

the only kernels I'm interested in go in the microwave, now that's a good Friday night

i just got power back and the first thing i did was make popped kernals

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

up next why we need everyone to port games to linux so i can stop using windows for anything

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

truly 2020 will be the year of the linux desktop

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

commodore 64 designer spotted

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
*swinging an n64 controller over my head like a flail*

i swear to god dylan if you don't stop picking kirby i'm gonna clobber you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

people who complain about the true Chads who know to pick a main in a fighting game are cruising for a swirly

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Stux posted:

people who complain about the true Chads who know to pick a main in a fighting game are cruising for a swirly

only 1 thing to do: pick a top tier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZDzf_wguQU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pick a low tier but play them in a way that makes your friends swear theyre a top tier and then chaos dunk them with tier lists

May 8, 2006

sure are a lotta dylans coming out of the woodwork

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Can't wait for the next Doom to come out so I can hear about how it's good that a single player game is online only.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

seems lovely that you need to install the denuvo driver even if you're only interested in single player. and that as far as i can tell, none of this was mentioned before.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

ur being a real breandan

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

who are the 5 best smash players of all time

think about it

dylan
dylan
dylan
dylan
dylan

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

seems lovely that you need to install the denuvo driver even if you're only interested in single player. and that as far as i can tell, none of this was mentioned before.

yeah the handling of it is complete trash as to be expected of a bethesda property

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

i have a horrible habit of typing my ffxiv password into discord

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stux posted:

i main random

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

truly 2020 will be the year of the linux desktop

seems like a twilight zone episode waiting to happen. a man sits down by his penguin computer and boots it up, he clicks an icon his desktop. he smiles, amazed he can simply click an icon and suddenly be playing a game, like the other kids with normal computers. the camera pans around and zooms out from his room, showing an earth devoid of all people, nothing but smoldering corpses and rubble of a world torn apart by the last console war

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

linux is cancelled since systemd took over, 2020 will be the year or the templeos desktop instead

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

i main random

:same:, a friend who picks the same character every round is not a friend, but a tryhard cuckmeister

May 8, 2006

i usually random in smash unless i'm playing online

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

homeless snail posted:

commodore 64 designer spotted

no thats KERNAL

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

:same:, a friend who picks the same character every round is not a friend, but a tryhard cuckmeister

if a friend loves one character and has the most fun playing them, i support them in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If I want to transition from Smash to a traditional fighting game, how do I choose which one? One of the main things I'm looking for is good netplay, and interesting characters. I do not mind anime (in fact I love it) as long as the game is popular , and has a lot of players of a lot of different skills so Matchmaking doesn't pair me against turbo nerds as I'm trying to learn how to play.