Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Absolutely love this game, don't have the DE edition though but I did get the HD version when it released and got like 30 hours in a few days.. I didn't have really good internet back in the day so I didn't play online as much, I would just do lan with friends and my brother.

Probably will get it during next sale since I hear this is a massive improvement and has all the dlcs.

The community for this game is so amazing, there is still streamers, competitive tournaments, youtube content and custom maps/modes being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is the only competitive AoE 2 match I know about
https://youtu.be/1Czb64v3WMY

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Ulio posted:

Absolutely love this game, don't have the DE edition though but I did get the HD version when it released and got like 30 hours in a few days.. I didn't have really good internet back in the day so I didn't play online as much, I would just do lan with friends and my brother.

Probably will get it during next sale since I hear this is a massive improvement and has all the dlcs.

The community for this game is so amazing, there is still streamers, competitive tournaments, youtube content and custom maps/modes being made.

There was recently a sale on all Xbox Game Studios games on Steam and the sale amount (%25) did not stack with my discount for already owning the HD version (also %25), so $15 might be the cheapest you'll see it for a while. You might have a coupon in your Steam inventory for the DE, but if not you can still get the discount by buying this bundle (it includes both the DE and HD versions at 25% off, but since you already own the HD it will subtract that from the price).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did anyone else complete all the quests

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE0z1Yr4Fb4

Pretty impressive mod

It's also just funny all around if you're familiar with lotr

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 14, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I kind of look at the quests as rewards for things you're already going to do if you're going to play, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. Maybe some other people are really into cheats/icons/visual mods though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 15, 2020

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I haven't done any of the quests yet but I'll probably try to at least get that cheat code for 256x tech upgrades before it's gone. I saw a gif of someone using that on trebs to launch projectiles almost all the way across the map, leveling every building within like a 2 screen radius.

e:

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 15, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Sadly I think all the quests are gone, as of a few days ago.

Speaking of, picked the game back up for the first time in a month or so and tried to face the Hard AI only to get repeatedly owned. I think based on my performance I could probably beat Moderate with decent regularity if I moved back a level, but the best I can do on Hard is raid the AI a bit to stall out getting crushed by a vastly superior army in Imperial. I know what i'm supposed to be doing, I just can't move efficiently enough to compete with the AI, which is kind of a bad sign for future progress as opposed to being completely clueless but easily fixed.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 15, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The cheat code doesn't seem to work for me. How is it supposed to work?

Also I pretty much stick with moderate and its a crapshoot over how much of a challenge it'll be

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I like playing AOE2 as a compstomp and just making hundreds of villagers and being the resource breadbasket for my human cohorts

until late game when I take my amassed riches and swarm the remaining enemy with whatever my most dumb expensive units are

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think I'm gonna make the move to hard. Moderate's been pretty much one sided these last few times. Comp can't keep up with my now sub 16 fast castle.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

i vomit kittens posted:

There was recently a sale on all Xbox Game Studios games on Steam and the sale amount (%25) did not stack with my discount for already owning the HD version (also %25), so $15 might be the cheapest you'll see it for a while. You might have a coupon in your Steam inventory for the DE, but if not you can still get the discount by buying this bundle (it includes both the DE and HD versions at 25% off, but since you already own the HD it will subtract that from the price).

Cool, I think I will wait till summer steam sale probably will be cheaper then and I might have more time by then. Until then I might reinstall AoE2hd. Been watching some pro players do 3v3 /4v4 its so freaking intense.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Despite unlocking the Going above and beyond cheat, I have no clue how to make it work. Do I have to download a patch or something? All my bombards are already gold...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Beat a hard comp 1v1! As opposed to teams.

Berserks feel much improved for some reason. Still, wish vikes had Halbs and there's no excuse in them not having herbal medicine, unique tech or not

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
This game rules.

I was terrible as a kid but with the videos and information available now I understand why and I'm soaking up as much as I can to try and improve. I'm blown away by the depth of strategy and its even better with the monthly patches that continually tweak the meta. I remember how I used to think that it was lame that there was really one "race" in the game unlike Starcraft, but now that I've dug into it I can really appreciate the diversity that the selective tech trees and bonuses provide between the civs.

Anyone else been playing ranked matches? I've made it a quarantine goal to break 1000 ELO in 1v1 but the player base seems to be improving and growing at a ridiculous pace. Hard to keep up. Around 900 currently.

whiggles fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 21, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh don't worry actually 900 in AoE2 is pretty impressive just cause there is so many experienced players even in lower elo due to how old the game is and how active older players still are. Like I have some people I just played 3v3s with when HD launched and those guys have been playing AoE2 through this whole time.

I really need to get back and read some guides, I been watching a competitive tournament thats been going right now. The high level gameplay of AoE2 is so underrated compared to C&C/StarCraft/Warcraft or Company of Heroes.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
That's nice, glad to hear I'm not trash status (even if I place an inefficient lumber camp or two). The biggest area for improvement I see is in my late game production. Most games that go to Imperial age usually end with me sitting on lots of excess resources regardless of if I win or lose. Been trying to use the market more until I can develop better eco balance.

The competitive scene is great. I haven't really participated in any online gaming communities before but from what I can tell it seems like the AOE2 group is super chill and supportive. Even the chat during streams is pretty devoid of the usual toxic tropes that sometimes show up.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I haven't played many ranked games but the ones I have played have been incredibly inconsistent in terms of how good I thought my opponent was despite them being around the same ELO. I doubt smurfing is really an issue in this game, so I don't know if it's just:

1) I'm a little under 1000 ELO which is where everyone starts out at, meaning I get matched up both with people who are very new to the game and those who have been playing for a while and are actually at 1000 ELO.

2) The people I play against who I think are "good" have some fundamental flaw in the way they're playing that I am also too bad to capitalize on, but it keeps them from progressing any further.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

I haven't played many ranked games but the ones I have played have been incredibly inconsistent in terms of how good I thought my opponent was despite them being around the same ELO. I doubt smurfing is really an issue in this game, so I don't know if it's just:

1) I'm a little under 1000 ELO which is where everyone starts out at, meaning I get matched up both with people who are very new to the game and those who have been playing for a while and are actually at 1000 ELO.

2) The people I play against who I think are "good" have some fundamental flaw in the way they're playing that I am also too bad to capitalize on, but it keeps them from progressing any further.

It's definitely a bit of both, I'm only just as around 1000 Elo after playing roughly 100 ranked 1v1 games since launch. Some games are done in less than 15min when they just collapse to a scout rush or fall way behind. Then others I feel like I'm completely outplayed, but even in those games there's usually obvious mistakes I've made or things I didn't capitalise on. Definitely feels like the 1000 Elo range has less beginners than before which makes sense, but I'm sure new people are jumping on still.

It's interesting to look at replays sometimes, especially for the games that I've lost. A lot of games I've felt like I had no chance once knights rushed me, then watching the replay their whole base will have been open with no real military before the castle age. Or other things that could have been easy to take advantage of.

The main thing I'm still working on is actually using scout information to make decisions - I'm good at scouting their base and finding where they are, but I always forget to think about things like whether they've got a safe gold/stone in the back, or if certain spots can be easily pressured.

Getting in with some scouts and then later knights generally works best for me at this level, especially on big open maps. Lots of players handle it badly even if they make some spearmen, since you can just keep running around and hitting other areas if they're not fully walled in. As long as I don't get too distracted and ignore my own economy it works pretty well, even with just idling a bunch of villagers and not being able to take any out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I haven't played any online matches yet. Trying to master beating comps first. Otoh, probably learning some bad habits. Love plinking at a town center with korean towers and watching the ai garrison and release all its vills in between salvos

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Well just took down 3 1v1s in a row and almost back at 950. Nice to see improvement.

My basic strat on most maps is playing mayans and rushing with archers while queuing up a few eagle scouts to pull up at their base right as they bring out the skirms. I think improving my feudal time by even just a minute or so has most players scrambling to respond and I can usually catch them before they have military out.

Oh and finally getting in the habit of full walling during my up time has been huge in being able to keep the pressure on.

It's definitely cheesy but I'm sure I'll hit a wall pretty soon and have to start experimenting again

Toast King posted:

It's interesting to look at replays sometimes, especially for the games that I've lost. A lot of games I've felt like I had no chance once knights rushed me, then watching the replay their whole base will have been open with no real military before the castle age. Or other things that could have been easy to take advantage of.

It's always funny whenever the revealed map pops up at the end and I see there was a completely open back of the base with an exposed woodline the whole time I was dying under castle fire in the front.

whiggles fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 22, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

3 wins in a row against hard comp!

...via korean tower rush cheese. It almost feels like cheating and it's definitely taking advantage of the AI. That said, I can see how it'd be strong as hell against real people, especially bad ones. If you can drop a forward castle (or even one at home so you won't be totally exposed) get some WW out to raid where your towers aren't, a few pikes/skirms to take some hits and some mangonels to start chipping away at their main it's pretty much over.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

lmao, according to the person who made the original 256x tech mod, the game devs just rolled over his mod into the base game for the cheat code and he thinks that's a very bad idea because he said there were a lot of bugs in it, one of them being that it might end up allowing you to research things more than once even in games where the cheat isn't enabled. Apparently he's already had people tell him that this has happened since the addition.

quote:

As I don't regularly play the game, it only recently came to my attention that the mod had been implemented into the game as a cheat code. My first thought of course was "cool", but then it reminded me of some of the headaches I had with all the bugs caused by the mod. I haven't looked at the implementation from the developers, but according to my friend the new cheat code already caused a lot of bugs in normal multiplayer games, such as technologies being researchable more than once.

This doesn't suprise me at all, as making it a cheat code means it is loaded in the same Data Mod as the base game, which is a really bad thing. If the developers haven't inherently changed how technologies are being loaded within the Genie Engine, the mod's implementation will cause weird anomalies now, but also in the future when making changes to the game. Tracking these bugs down can take a lot of time, due to the mod making the technology section very polluted among other annoyances.

I really recommend the developers to revert adding the cheat code and offer the mod as a loadable Data Pack, just like they did with the Small Trees. If they don't, the mod will probably be the cause of many more bugs in the future and possibly slow down development, but also open up the game to more cheating and exploits.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Milo and POTUS posted:

3 wins in a row against hard comp!

...via korean tower rush cheese. It almost feels like cheating and it's definitely taking advantage of the AI. That said, I can see how it'd be strong as hell against real people, especially bad ones. If you can drop a forward castle (or even one at home so you won't be totally exposed) get some WW out to raid where your towers aren't, a few pikes/skirms to take some hits and some mangonels to start chipping away at their main it's pretty much over.

Congrats!

Tower rushing got nerfed a bit in DE: they now have lower HP in Feudal age. Tower rushing can still work but it's much easier to beat it back than it used to be. You can't just drop some towers, hang back and go to castle anymore. I remember a ranked game a while back someone built like 5-6(!) towers on my woodline in Feudal age. I just walled a bit, took a different woodline, then rolled over him as soon as I got to castle age since he had so much economy on stone (and no military).

On dropping castles since I had this come up in a few (really good) games this week: It can be really greedy to go for it too soon and your opponent can punish you for it. I had a Hillfort game as Spanish and tried rushing straight for Conquistadors and got smacked around in Feudal for it. I eventually fended it off with a big mango hit:

Then tonight (Hillfort again) I figured that's what the other guy would go for: we're walled and he's Goths so he'll probably go straight for a castle. I went full-feudal and just busted through the gates with archers. By the time he reached Castle age I had a dozen archers standing on his gold/stone/half his farms and he never recovered.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's all that going on with the green boxes

i vomit kittens posted:

lmao, according to the person who made the original 256x tech mod, the game devs just rolled over his mod into the base game for the cheat code and he thinks that's a very bad idea because he said there were a lot of bugs in it, one of them being that it might end up allowing you to research things more than once even in games where the cheat isn't enabled. Apparently he's already had people tell him that this has happened since the addition.

Good news! I can't seem to get the cheat to work anyway!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a sperg mod so you never miss holes in your woodline.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No clue man what the gently caress some of these rewards are

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

lol

i'm feeling very torn between my desire for optimal efficiency and my appreciation for the pastoral aesthetic of the game.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Any online co-op stuff in the game?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

whiggles posted:

lol

i'm feeling very torn between my desire for optimal efficiency and my appreciation for the pastoral aesthetic of the game.

What are you talking about? The norman invaders used green cubes to mark trees at every motte and bailey.

domhal posted:

You can whale on comps? There's probably some scenarios for this but it really seems like custom maps aren't a huge scene from what I've seen. DM either :(

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

domhal posted:

comp stomps are a aoe2 tradition and even GBS can usually get enough gamers going to do it if games can't

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

domhal posted:

Do you mean "specific scenarios for co-op play" or just "fighting the AI with other human players"?

Because:

Statutory Ape posted:

comp stomps are a aoe2 tradition and even GBS can usually get enough gamers going to do it if games can't

It's Friday and so there will almost definitely be games happening if you wanted to join.

You don't have to be good. Our skill levels range from "above average player" to "not contributing at all" to "someone do a wellness check I think he passed out at his keyboard (again)."

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Harveygod posted:

Do you mean "specific scenarios for co-op play" or just "fighting the AI with other human players"?

Because:

It's Friday and so there will almost definitely be games happening if you wanted to join.

You don't have to be good. Our skill levels range from "above average player" to "not contributing at all" to "someone do a wellness check I think he passed out at his keyboard (again)."

lol i bet i know who

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Major nerf on 11. This is really gonna shake up the taunt meta.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
wait where is this happening?
steam id: onaicuL

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The problem I'm having with the compstomps I keep seeing is they love Ludicrous sized maps. BF especially and doubly so if it's a noob game. If all you want to do is wall up and eco boom why not just do a wonder race or something like that. And if all you want to do is tech to mass pals, why not just DM? Especially against the moderate comp

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Greatest Living Man posted:

wait where is this happening?
steam id: onaicuL

Request sent. Probably around 8PM (eastern US). There are usually 2-4 of us around.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The problem I'm having with the compstomps I keep seeing is they love Ludicrous sized maps. BF especially and doubly so if it's a noob game. If all you want to do is wall up and eco boom why not just do a wonder race or something like that. And if all you want to do is tech to mass pals, why not just DM? Especially against the moderate comp

Ludikris sized maps are exactly that: ludicrous. It sounds fun and epic but it ends up just being unnecessarily drawn out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It'd probably be a lot more fun with a much larger max pop (assuming the game doesn't become a laggy unplayable mess like mine does) and you were good enough to be able to control the gigantic armies and villagers all over the map it'd require but even so it's primarily so they can turtle up and boom unimpeded. Boooooring. And BF is a lot more fun as a DM map

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

For anyone interested in tournaments: Battle of Africa 2 is happening right now and wrapping up next weekend. It's the first major team game tournament since Definitive Edition was released and has a $20000 prize pool.

It's hosted by membTV but is also being cast by T90 (and a few other people).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya been watching this tournament pretty closely and competitive 3v3 is a treat. Also there is rule to not sling before imperial so you can't tribute or just play for econ. Forces every player to be active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Why not just rush mid