Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

ALL 5 STADIA CONTROLLERS (all working as well!)

quote:

Yes. Exclusive to the launch team. (I'm not in the launch team) just a consumer fanboy. ;)

quote:

The story to how I got it has nothing to do with knowing someone personally on the team. ;)

quote:

It's the ultimate flex. As far as I know the only other working one is from Stadia UI Lead, John McDole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fantastic that they have to emphasize that they're all working too.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine being the fanboy of a mass produced consumer product from a soulless multinational megacorp.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ohhh, that would be the best thing if Google paid a click farm to shill their product.

Actually, I sold my playstation to pay Filipinos to shill for Stadia, because I love it so much

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

Actually, I sold my playstation to pay Filipinos to shill for Stadia, because I love it so much

Brb, combing HA’s post history for very specific typos.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Just a appreciation post for what Google created! posted:

I was so down on it initially, tried ps now, xcloud, streaming was bad all around, when the free version of stadia dropped I was like "what the hell, why not?" Since then I've bought about 6 games on incredible deals and got the premiere edition for $80 still in the wrap off of Facebook and I've loved every moment. So much better then every other streaming service I've tried. I'm hooked!

LMAO I thought the same thing after I tried it, I wish I would've bought the founders edition, but ultimately I'm super impressed, I've had zero issue, the premiere edition is flawless and playing on my laptop, 4k TV, and pixel 4 XL has been amazing, I guess I shouldn't listen to the media's opinion on everything because this is one thing they have WAY wrong!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Sandweed posted:

Imagine being the fanboy of a mass produced consumer product from a soulless multinational megacorp.

From a different, unrelated thread:

quote:

Might get a glass case for the founders controller

:allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

From a different, unrelated thread:

:allears:

Giving me severe Bioshock vibes for some reason.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Still cannot believe I have been tuned to stadia to learn that some dude in optimal conditions played a game slightly better than an xbox...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Reminder as we get into the summer announcement season: Don't take the lack of a Stadia logo on a game trailer as a dire omen or portent posted:

We're getting into that time when we the E3 et al. conferences would be starting up and trailers-a-plenty are going to start dropping, so it's very important to keep this in mind: Don't take the lack of announcement of a game coming to Stadia as any indication of a developer's level of support for the platform or even the reality of whether or not Stadia will get that game.

Stadia is a brand new platform. If you ask a director at a studio how long it takes to create a game with X / Y / Z characteristics on PlayStation or Xbox or PC or Switch, they're going to give you a range of months that will probably be accurate to within 2-3 months of development time. Because they've done it dozens or hundreds of times before.

With Stadia, most studios have only released one or two games on the platform. Ubisoft and Square are the diehards that are really getting the workflows down and are porting more and more games, plus putting future games on the platform, but other studios are still learning the ropes and building processes.

In one or two years once studios have a wealth of institutional knowledge of development on Stadia, you'll start to see more simultaneous release dates because they know they can hit that target based on their pipeline.

Stadia is not dead, it's not declining, no one's losing faith in it. Don't contribute to that mindset. Meanwhile, they're adding new and library games all the time so keep it positive!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Still cannot believe I have been tuned to stadia to learn that some dude in optimal conditions played a game slightly better than an xbox...

they didnt they just tested it in a completely different way and then compared the measurement to one which will have a higher result because of the method used

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sandweed posted:

I'm not sure Stadia controllers count as "mass produced"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

emgeejay posted:

I'm not sure Stadia controllers count as "mass produced"

Yeah, strike the m.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

gschmidl posted:

Yeah, strike the m.

:eyepop:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Stadia is literally magic.

quote:

If Google upgrades the hardware in the future, what happens with exisiting games?

I wonder if Google contacts all game developers so they can adjust resolution and details based on the new hardware. It wouldn't be that easy to convince all developers to do so in every game, but it would be a shame if the ressources wouldn't be utilized too.
Or does Google have access to detail settings and resolution settings?

I hope we will see graphical updates with new hardware even on older games which aren't currently running in max details or 4k.

quote:

Google could do this, I am sure there is a hidden menu they can access that offers the same as PC settings

quote:

That would be great for not only devs but all customers!

Devs don't need to worry about changing old titles every time the hardware gets upgraded since Google could do this by itself without communicating, waiting for responses or declines from the developers and so on. And all Players would have a better looking game from one day to another.

I hope you are right then.

quote:

Dude I'm pretty sure google knows, either they are going to up the settings or devs will.

quote:

It's a mainly a frame rate problem and a graphics settings not a whole restructuring of the engine

Google just twist some knobs and boom! Better performance! Easy!

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
stadia has the last laugh as we all stay tuned for another 10 years and it's 2030 and negative latency is now possible by using quantum computing to poll a future alternate reality version of the user before sending the inputs back in time to the present

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Am so sick of listening to people talking about latency as if it's a loving issues I mean does anyone actually know how latency works or do they just mention it and say ohh stadia has latency it's bad!! Latency on stadia is higher but its not much higher and for a casual gamer or me myself I class myself as a hard-core gamer I play lots of first person shooter games and even the latency didn't feel that much higher so people need to stop going on about latency because it's not an issue unless your playing e sports where every ms counts and the lower the better for games like CSGO but stadia isn't aimed for them people.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I do remember the Switch getting an awful lot of hate when that launched too. People seem to have forgotten that by now...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My own hot take: the switch isn’t that good either.

It’s actually the only console I’ve ever sold. It’s not stadia bad but it’s not good.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Stadia needs a mascot!

A bonkers idea that may actually be of massive help to appeal. (And no not Stadia-chan! 😆)

If I could draw I would make something a bit like the wonderful dog who found Stadia 😁

What do you all think? Too childish? Could be fun? A sensational stroke of genius? (Oh stop)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Console mascots are usually from a popular first party exclusive game, like Mario or Sonic.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork for stadia's gaping void of disappointment mascot

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Chalks posted:

Console mascots are usually from a popular first party exclusive game, like Mario or Sonic.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork for stadia's gaping void of disappointment mascot

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chalks posted:

gaping void of disappointment mascot

Kirk Johnson confirmed as stadia mascot?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

...! posted:

Stadia is literally magic.

Google just twist some knobs and boom! Better performance! Easy!

Its not far from the truth - its basically a PC port. With future hardware they can up the native resolution, or texture details with pretty minimal work.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

With future hardware
:cawg:::holy::derp::laugh::holy:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

We might be pushing it a bit with "mass produced", though, given how bad they were at sending things out on time around launch.

Edit:beaten

gschmidl posted:

Yeah, strike the m.

:golfclap:

Bofast fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 16, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hostile apostle posted:

Its not far from the truth - its basically a PC port. With future hardware they can up the native resolution, or texture details with pretty minimal work.

how about ray tracing support

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

Except they're going to have to test each of the games again and make sure the performance is up to snuff. Since you know, I don't think the developers of the games would be happy if Stadia tweaked some settings and now the game has horrible performance.

That is going to be a lot of work for each game. Who's going to pay for that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's cool that Stadia has basically completely wasted their launch "window" and their hardware is going to be out of date in about 6 months and some schlub is going to have to go to his boss with an expense report of 250 million dollars to upgrade the servers and show him a sheet that lists 400 thousand current subscribers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

American McGay posted:

It's cool that Stadia has basically completely wasted their launch "window" and their hardware is going to be out of date in about 6 months and some schlub is going to have to go to his boss with an expense report of 250 million dollars to upgrade the servers and show him a sheet that lists 400 thousand current subscribers.

Bit optimistic subscriber count there. Though I'd assume Google would do the same thing WWE did with the WWE Network for a while and heavily promote a free trial before their financial reports so they could report all the people on free trials as subscribers. Even then though...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Except they're going to have to test each of the games again and make sure the performance is up to snuff. Since you know, I don't think the developers of the games would be happy if Stadia tweaked some settings and now the game has horrible performance.

That is going to be a lot of work for each game. Who's going to pay for that?

you could test stadia's entire library in an afternoon

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

hostile apostle posted:

When are they planning to blow the “less latency” novelty slide whistle?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

oh of course, just like how pc games get free texture packs and engine updates every time a new generation of GPUs comes out.

that's definitely how this industry works, yep.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

American McGay posted:

400 thousand current subscribers.

it's unlikely that it's much more than a tenth of that

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oh of course, just like how pc games get free texture packs and engine updates every time a new generation of GPUs comes out.

that's definitely how this industry works, yep.

I think you'll find Google is putting, nay, POURING resources into AI algorithms that will automatically up-res all old games. Stay tuned, bud.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Bit optimistic subscriber count there. Though I'd assume Google would do the same thing WWE did with the WWE Network for a while and heavily promote a free trial before their financial reports so they could report all the people on free trials as subscribers. Even then though...

That could explain the timing for the Pro trial :thunk:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

hostile apostle posted:

Except the whole basis of the technology is based on streaming which means there's always going to be compression making even the best rendered graphics look muddy and flat by the time it's gets to the end users eyeballs.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Google are so committed to their industry-leading compression algorithm that they even use it on their game library!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hostile apostle posted:

Lol, that's not how literally any of this works. Remasters require replacing existing assets in the source code and recompiling (along with a whole lot of under-the-hood work for new platforms/hardware/engine iteration/etc), and there's no loving way literally any developer on Stadia is going to let Google have their assets and source code.