Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I would also like to see fire spread much further in woods and grasslands in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Yes, exactly! Make it so that it will spread uncontrolled until rain or snow hit that area.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sarcastro posted:

Yes, exactly! Make it so that it will spread uncontrolled until rain or snow hit that area.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hyrule unites to resurrect Calamity Ganon because it turns out he was less destructive over all

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

The point of the champion weapons is to display them in your house

You mean the DLC weapons.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i hate the rods with my life. i found very little use for them that just Sword did not fulfil

it's me, I'm the guy who cheesed every single combat shrine with blizzard rods

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just saved every combat shrine until I had a strong 40+ weapon and then used my prize weapons to do the next one. Super easy!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's the weird thing about this game's difficulty curve, a switch flips from "NOPE, turn and leave" to trivially easy once you're more powered up.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So during quarantine I've done a playthrough of OoT and I'm in the middle of Majora's Mask. Just wanted to stop by and say that even though I've done ~3 playthroughs of Majora's mask over the years, this was the first time I noticed that the two fairies are named Tatl and Tael. Tatl Tael.

Tattle Tale.

:vince:

Mind blown.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The only gripe and change I'd want on weapons regarding them degrading is a loving durability stay so I know how how many swings are left on a weapon before breaking.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

So during quarantine I've done a playthrough of OoT and I'm in the middle of Majora's Mask. Just wanted to stop by and say that even though I've done ~3 playthroughs of Majora's mask over the years, this was the first time I noticed that the two fairies are named Tatl and Tael. Tatl Tael.

Tattle Tale.

Mind blown.

lol i felt like a genius when i revealed this to my friends in 4th grade

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

jisforjosh posted:

The only gripe and change I'd want on weapons regarding them degrading is a loving durability stay so I know how how many swings are left on a weapon before breaking.

Sword icon red, throw at monster head
Sword icon white, weapon health all right

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It was clearly a very deliberate decision to conceal the exact durability of items. I feel like it was done to make players naturally micromanage the inventory less. if there's concrete numbers on what's about to break, you get a natural instinct to optimise the poo poo out of your inventory and stare at those durability stats like a hawk, which would just lead to wasting a lot of your time in the menu.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It also helps that the weapon breaking does double (?) danage.

They thought about it a lot, but I still wish it was optional. My wife is interested in BotW but I'm unsure if she can handle durability.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I just finished Link Between Worlds and enjoyed the shadow painting mechanics
It was short but still a solid game
Link's Awakening on the Switch was very similar but I found Link's Awakening less forgiving
I haven't played any of the pre-N64 Zelda games

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Ice Fist posted:

Tattle Tale.

Mind blown.
Whoa this is like when I only realized decades later that it's Diddy's Kong Quest not Diddy Kong's Quest.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

snoremac posted:

Whoa this is like when I only realized decades later that it's Diddy's Kong Quest not Diddy Kong's Quest.

Because it's a pun on Conquest?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still grinding through LTTP. As a first timer to the series, I have had to use guides in a few occasions like Thieves hideout(dark world) but man it's such a satisfying feeling when you figure out a dungeon/puzzle by yourself. The game's design is so simple and complex but at the same time you can figure out things on your own if you pay attention.

I think I am done with LTTP soon, I only have the last 2 dungeons left from what I saw. Hope those dungeons are fun. The Ice Lake dungeon was kinda lame,since the boss room is at the beginning area but you have to go really deep to get the key then make your way all the back to the start. This is like the first dungeon where the mirror would have been useful but I completely forgot the mirror puts you back in room 1 inside dungeons so I didn't remember till I finished the boss.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm curious how you feel about the Skull Woods and Misery Mire dungeons as a newcomer. There are a few that I feel like I just wander through confused until I beat them without ever really getting a sense of an overall design, those two seem like the worst in that respect.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Merkinman posted:

Because it's a pun on Conquest?

Yeah, but most people think the name is completely wrong and not a pun, I sure as poo poo did.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

sigher posted:

Yeah, but most people think the name is completely wrong and not a pun, I sure as poo poo did.

Lmao no, anyone over the age of 12 realized they wouldnt have printed it “wrong” on the box

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never owned the game so I only heard about it in passing on the schoolyard where everyone called it "Diddy Kong's Quest," it wasn't until sometime on SA that someone pointed it out that I realized my reality was a lie.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao no, anyone over the age of 12 realized they wouldnt have printed it “wrong” on the box
I only ever rented it and it came in a plastic box!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

sigher posted:

I've never owned the game so I only heard about it in passing on the schoolyard where everyone called it "Diddy Kong's Quest," it wasn't until sometime on SA that someone pointed it out that I realized my reality was a lie.

I’ve owned the game since it came out, and caught the pun, but if I’m not looking at the title, it’s still Diddy Kong’s Quest in my head.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyhow, enough about Resident Evil: Revelaitons

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I started a Master Mode playthrough of Breath of the Wild - not intending to finish it, just kinda exploring the world all over again to keep myself busy for the next couple weeks. So far I'm at around 15-ish shrines found, which I'm putting all into Stamina this time to see what all the buzz is about. I think I'll probably switch back to hearts when I get the first wheel completed just because I'm tired of everything one-shotting me if I make a single mistake. I grabbed the Phantom Hourglass armor in Central Hyrule so hopefully fights will go a bit quicker now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

at a certain point on the power curve master mode becomes mostly identical to the base game except for how battles take way too long because of all the golden HP sponges hanging around everywhere, so it's just as well to not finish it. the best parts are at the beginning.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Peco: Still good

https://twitter.com/Switch_movie_SS/status/1263148994756317184?s=20

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

And that's the level with a couple of dozen mounted bokoblins and a sentinel up a pillar that he must have dealt with before finishing off the lynel.

o7

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Zelda serious mathematics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hs451PfFzQ

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Most Zelda games are lauded immediately upon their release, but I'm curious about the last few.

I've beaten the original, LTTP, Awakening, OOT, Wind Waker, and LBW, and I've played through significant chunks of the Oracle games, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. I've absolutely loved the games I've beaten, and I really liked the Oracle games, but I found Majora's concept anxiety-inducing and my TP save got corrupted two-thirds through and it put me off that game. I haven't played BOTW yet, and I played SS for a couple of hours but just didn't find it interesting.

What's the modern consensus on WW, TP, SS, and BOTW now that some time has passed? Personally, I feel like WW has only gotten better and better in hindsight; it's tied with LTTP for my favorite Zelda. I feel like TP is fine but pretty middle-of-the-road, and I'm not familiar enough with SS and BOTW to speak on those.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

surf rock posted:

Most Zelda games are lauded immediately upon their release, but I'm curious about the last few.

I've beaten the original, LTTP, Awakening, OOT, Wind Waker, and LBW, and I've played through significant chunks of the Oracle games, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. I've absolutely loved the games I've beaten, and I really liked the Oracle games, but I found Majora's concept anxiety-inducing and my TP save got corrupted two-thirds through and it put me off that game. I haven't played BOTW yet, and I played SS for a couple of hours but just didn't find it interesting.

What's the modern consensus on WW, TP, SS, and BOTW now that some time has passed? Personally, I feel like WW has only gotten better and better in hindsight; it's tied with LTTP for my favorite Zelda. I feel like TP is fine but pretty middle-of-the-road, and I'm not familiar enough with SS and BOTW to speak on those.

As far as I can tell for BOTW, the general consensus upon release was "Instant Classic."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think it'll be tough to get a good newer consensus of SS for the time being because of how tied it is to its specific console and controller. I remember liking some of the story and dungeon design, but even the last time I played it I got sick of some of the handholding and enforced side quests. I have no idea how it'd fare a few console releases later, but I'm curious if they somehow ever made it happen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think it'll be tough to get a good newer consensus of SS for the time being because of how tied it is to its specific console and controller. I remember liking some of the story and dungeon design, but even the last time I played it I got sick of some of the handholding and enforced side quests. I have no idea how it'd fare a few console releases later, but I'm curious if they somehow ever made it happen.

SS would be infinitely better if you could just turn off the handholding nonsense like the rupee descriptions and Fi giving away the coolest puzzles before you even have a chance to attempt them

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

surf rock posted:

WW and BOTW are great, TP has really good dungeons, and SS stinks. I hate SS's muddy impressionistic art style, bad controls, endless tutorial, and it's also just so dang boring. Dunno if that's the general consensus.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

SS rules but it is probably the most divisive game in the series. The motion controls, lack of real exploration and some padding in the later game really rub some people the wrong way.

The fantastic dungeons, beautiful art, and good (for a Zelda game at least) story make it my 2nd favorite in the series, but that’s a minority opinion

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Ollu posted:

WW and BOTW are great, TP has really good dungeons, and SS stinks. I hate SS's muddy impressionistic art style, bad controls, endless tutorial, and it's also just so dang boring. Dunno if that's the general consensus.

Oh, I'd forgotten that, but I do remember that one of the things that turned me away from SS was that I just thought it looked ugly as sin, oof.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think SS looks great, but that's all down to personal preference. It had some great dungeons, maybe some of the best in the series. The controls (when they worked) were excellent. I loved the aiming with the bow in that game, and the sword play was cool (again, when it worked.) But I do think it won't be remembered fondly. It's the "Mario Sunshine" of the series.

WW was near my favorite for a long time. But these days, I would dread having to play the non-remastered version due to the sailing mechanics. Either version has the problem of a lack of dungeons and the fact that despite how many islands there are to explore, more than half of them feel like they don't really have anything to do on them.

TP...well...it's just kind of *there*. It's by no means a bad game. It's a Zelda game! Midna is awesome, definitely the best part. But the wolf mechanic felt really half assed. The art style is just kinda meh. Hyrule Field despite being so much larger than OoT's has the same issue of not really having anything to do. And a lot of the game felt formulaic. It's another one that hasn't held up as well.

MM is still near perfect. A short game, sure, but the story, mood, characters, masks and just overall tightness still make it a joy to play to this day. I know some people *can't* play it, and I feel bad for you. If you push yourself to do it, it's really not an anxiety inducing game (it's very generous with time) and feels so drat rewarding.

BotW is, as someone else stated, an instant classic. There are criticisms of it for sure, but the game feels genre-defining in the same way OoT did in '98 and that's so much harder to say today than it was back then. You have to give it a try.

LBW should be played by anyone with even a passing interest in Zelda, especially the 2D ones. I've played LttP a dozen times...LBW is better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm surprised to see a few complaints about the SS art style, I thought that was generally pretty well-liked. I liked the style, and (mostly) the change in character looks, I felt like it was a good midpoint between the realistic ones and the overtly cartoonish style of WW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

overtly cartoonish style of WW.

I thought you said overly at first and was about to throw down