Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TK-42-1 posted:

Mine specifically says if the cover is missing it’s stolen. I’m not at home otherwise i’d take a pic.

That's hosed up bullshit what happens iirc is if a store can't sell books but they're cheap they mark them as destroyed and make the employees rip the cover off and throw them in the trash. They get some kind of credit with the publisher and the whole thing is some how more cost effective for everyone involved than sending them back would be.

Books like that are "stolen" the same way people could "steal" day old bead a bakery throws out.

It's fuckin crazy but if you know someone who works at a place like that deff have them scoop some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

SniperWoreConverse posted:

That's hosed up bullshit what happens iirc is if a store can't sell books but they're cheap they mark them as destroyed and make the employees rip the cover off and throw them in the trash. They get some kind of credit with the publisher and the whole thing is some how more cost effective for everyone involved than sending them back would be.

Books like that are "stolen" the same way people could "steal" day old bead a bakery throws out.

It's fuckin crazy but if you know someone who works at a place like that deff have them scoop some

It's pretty nuts and journalists should put book/magazine retailers on blast if not just for the carbon footprint of such a process

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They've been stripping books for decades, probably 50+ years or whenever trade paperbacks were invented. When I was a kid my mom would snag them from work if they seemed like something I'd like.

Normal paperbacks and hardcover ones get remaindered and sold off in bulk. If you buy a book with a sharpie mark on the page edges whoever sold you it probably paid a buck or less. I guess trade paperbacks are so cheap it's not feasible to bother trying to remainder them?

I'm pretty sure both things are done partly because it results in a business loss they can put on their taxes. There was a court case where a company was like "well we hosed up and made too many sprockets I'm gonna write them off" and the irs won when the judge told them to get hosed, they couldn't write off perfectly fine sprockets just cause they didn't sell.

But if they are physically destroyed it somehow counts. It doesn't make sense to me but apparently this happens in other situations where good products are ruined for no sensible reason

Someone who actually works at a book store or publisher or a tax goon probably gets it and could explain for real

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's an arcane and confusing jumble of legal shenanigans, economic necessity and sheer wastefulness driven by hunger for wealth. So it's very on-brand for Dune at least.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm pretty sure both things are done partly because it results in a business loss they can put on their taxes... if they are physically destroyed it somehow counts. It doesn't make sense to me but apparently this happens in other situations where good products are ruined for no sensible reason

Hey man, :capitalism:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The point of stripping is that the bookstore sends the cover back to a publisher for credit, and then destroys the book. Why send the whole thing back? That these books make their way into bookshelves is just people pulling them out of the trash.

Edit: so trash books end up in landfill and good books that happened to have a print run that was slightly larger than optimal disappear. It's fine. How many copies of sandworms of dune do you think were sneaked out of the rubbish bin?

exmachina fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 16, 2020

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I don’t know man, we’re talking a book by the New York Times bestselling author of the Dune series.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I hope Sandworms got used as Toilet Paper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Makers are smooth as hell

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I hope Sandworms got used as Toilet Paper.

May its passing cleanse the hole

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
No one told me just to rip the covers off, so whenever I was asked to destroy unsalable books I just went to town on them before dumping the bits back in the trash. I guess it was kind of cathartic when 90% of the rest of the job was gently adjusting stacks of brand new textbooks on their shelves.

Got in trouble when a customer asked if we could recycle their old book since we weren't buying it back, and I told them "No, but I can destroy it for you."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

exmachina posted:

The point of stripping is that the bookstore sends the cover back to a publisher for credit, and then destroys the book. Why send the whole thing back? That these books make their way into bookshelves is just people pulling them out of the trash.

Edit: so trash books end up in landfill and good books that happened to have a print run that was slightly larger than optimal disappear. It's fine. How many copies of sandworms of dune do you think were sneaked out of the rubbish bin?

My hippie rear end wants them pulped for toilet paper and colouring books

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They probably are, if they are in a polity with a decent recycling service

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

YoursTruly posted:

No one told me just to rip the covers off, so whenever I was asked to destroy unsalable books I just went to town on them before dumping the bits back in the trash. I guess it was kind of cathartic when 90% of the rest of the job was gently adjusting stacks of brand new textbooks on their shelves.

Got in trouble when a customer asked if we could recycle their old book since we weren't buying it back, and I told them "No, but I can destroy it for you."

Yeah stripping is a slightly archaic practice now and big distributers just report sales and receive credit for the rest but smaller sites still send a big ol' envelope packed with covers, sometimes just the title to save space

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finished the first three books. Paul dies. Now I'm off to Wikipedia so I can find out if I actually understood the plot correctly

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tricky D posted:

it's going to be sting again because he stopped aging in the early 90s

If this doesn't happen I'll be seriously disappointed.

Phlegmish posted:

Finished the first three books. Paul dies. Now I'm off to Wikipedia so I can find out if I actually understood the plot correctly

I had to do this after watching the movie and ended up reading the summaries of all the books, it gets very trippy and confusing.

Some parts of the film that made me laugh:

Stilgar sounding like Zapp Brannigan when he says Muad'Dibuh
Stilgar sounding sassy/flirty when he exlaims "Muad'Dib!" at Paul being able to weird without the device
Alia saying "how could this be? He is the Kwisatz Haderach!" when it starts to rain at the end. I'd been so long since that had been mentioned and I was having trouble keeping up with all the words so I thought for a second it was another entirely new concept that hadn't been brought up before at all.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Movie Stilgar rules.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I was like 24 when I read the book but I first saw the Lynch movie when I was fuckin 7 and I found it in my grandmother's huge VHS hoard while I was staying with her one summer and I immediately loved it, even more than the og star wars flicks (which she had too), so despite becoming aware at some point that the movie was a bad adaptation, for nearly two decades my only exposure to Dune was occasionally rewatching that fuckin thing + looking over my brother's shoulder sometime in my early teens watching him play through one of the Emperor: Battle for Dune campaigns.

"For he IS the kwisatz haderach!!!" is high grade schlock but it gave me chills every time when I was a kid ngl.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

My only exposure to Dune before watching the movie was the Iron Maiden song.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That reminds me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37fxQtulXUg

Arjen Lucassen refuses to read books so here's Dune: The Movie: The Early 2000s Prog Metal Banger

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

While I'm at it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SBGbbJ8ifY

:rock:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hell yeah, the move's soundtrack is awesome. I keep listening to the haunting Prophecy Theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4onBqilHvc

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Don't worry, he comes back in the sequels. First as ghola paul and then as ghola ghola paolo and then there's the ultraspice. Thank the maker @duneauthor did such a good job preserving his dad's real, actual intent and totally for realsies extensive notes that were faithfully followed to give us such great books after dune 6.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Someone tap the sign, please.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

exmachina posted:

They probably are, if they are in a polity with a decent recycling service

Aren't most city recycling programs just a front facade, and the bins all just get dumped regardless?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Someone tap the sign, please.

*taps sign and sheds water*

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

He gives water to the memes!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Johnny Aztec posted:

Aren't most city recycling programs just a front facade, and the bins all just get dumped regardless?

To a degree the idea of recycling certain things was just a PR scheme to hide the fact that we were putting poo poo on a boat and sending it to China...until they decided to stop taking it all that is, some materials can be recycled very efficiently tho, but it really depends on the level of biotic contaminants in a batch. It's all very sobering.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

THE BAR posted:

You mentioned bland?

This is the absolute worst cover but this is the one my mum bought for me on a whim. She has no idea about SF but got it for 14 y/o me and I've loved it ever since.

It's a hideous cover but means much to me

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Johnny Aztec posted:

It depends on your waste district

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

To a degree the idea of recycling certain things was just a PR scheme to hide the fact that we were putting poo poo on a boat and sending it to China...until they decided to stop taking it all that is, some materials can be recycled very efficiently tho, but it really depends on the level of biotic contaminants in a batch. It's all very sobering.
The breakdown I dimly recall is:

* Aluminium: Wonderful and easy to recycle
* Paper: Easily reused to at least some extent
* Glass: Not easily recycled but very reusable (shame we don't have bottle deposit programs still)
* Plastic: Bad
* Water: yes, unless individual Abomination or otherwise tainted

e: Like even Penn & Teller's Libertarian Propaganda Hour (With Jokes) admitted recycling aluminium is a good plan, I think.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Please do not feed the @duneauthor

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

Nessus posted:

The breakdown I dimly recall is:

* Aluminium: Wonderful and easy to recycle
* Paper: Easily reused to at least some extent
* Glass: Not easily recycled but very reusable (shame we don't have bottle deposit programs still)
* Plastic: Bad
* Water: yes, unless individual Abomination or otherwise tainted

e: Like even Penn & Teller's Libertarian Propaganda Hour (With Jokes) admitted recycling aluminium is a good plan, I think.

I would imagine the bulk of aluminum recyclables are chips from machined parts.
The dumpsters full of aluminum spirals coming out of machine shops has got to be the easiest poo poo in the world to melt down and realloy.
Granted, the US only does so much manufacturing, but any and all aluminum headed toward military or aircraft applications (often ITAR controlled) will have scrap associated with manufacturing.

Consumer grade applications rely on waterfat commoners to sort.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

"Some goon upthread that I can't find now" posted:

Well Lord theres nothing on Dune like a genuine, bonafide, electrified, Ix-made Royal Cart!

What'd I say?
-Royal Cart!

What's it called?
-Royal Cart!

That's right, Royal Cart!

[crowd chanting]
♪Royal Cart
Royal Cart
Royal Cart♪

I hear the Emperor’s weight is vast
-Suspensor globes can lift that mass

Is there a chance my life you’ll take?
-Not for the last time, my ghola friend

What about we insurrectors?
-You’ll be tested in the desert

Do you defy the Jihad?
-Machine-like thinking is what’s bad

Stagnation leads to extinction
I’ve seen through oracular vision
-♪Royal cart
What's it called?
-Royal cart♪
Once again
-♪Royal cart!

But Leto bade that I play traitor
-Watch Duncan climb a wall later

♪Royal Cart!
Royal Cart!
Royal Cart!♪

Royal- doh!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I saw that episode of the Letosons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh my god-emperor, you killed Duncan!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Kull wahad, what is happening in there!?

...the Golden Path?

Th- The Golden Path? In the year 10,191, at this delicate time, on this desert planet, localized entirely in the place where women fear to look?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Since we're listening to the Lynch movie soundtrack, I just want to point out a good portion of it was written/performed by TOTO, of Africa fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WMy-AStPhE

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I know there are different styles in there, but I thought for sure Toto did all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

THE BAR posted:

I know there are different styles in there, but I thought for sure Toto did all of it.

Brian Eno, the guy that wrote the Windows 95 startup sound, did some of it.