Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psiox posted:

imo the aws cli makes a lot of sense and at least it's easy to deal with json from a normal-rear end shell that isn't trying to be more than a shell

powershells json support is pretty drat strong though, just pipe through ConvertFrom-JSON and you get an actually structured object (or a stream of them if an array) you can then actually safely operate on (e.g. selects and aggregates and whatnot)

i mean, again, powershell is not very nice, but as far as microsoft things go it is way more fit for purpose than a lot of their server admin tools of the past. obviously no for-fun linux user will touch it much, but e.g. to manage azure it is not weird at all to have the port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
multiple people have tried to make "structured shells" a thing to various degrees of unsuccess. plain text sucks as an interface but we're gonna be grepping and cutting and awking until the day we die

blink polyfill
Feb 29, 2020

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

installed the linux

tried to update my graphics driver on the linux

the linux would not start

help how do I get good at the linux?

this happened to me today

it's good to see that linux desktop hasn't made progress in 6 years lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

for some reason the nvidia control panel has decided that one of my monitors should be fixed at 30hz until i toggle a setting and nothing i do to try to get it to stick across reboots works

good think i only pop in occasionally and just use windows on it most of the time

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

blink polyfill posted:

this happened to me today

it's good to see that linux desktop hasn't made progress in 6 years lmao

graphics driver woes are the pillar of the desktop Linux experience, even more so than the audio and WiFi problems. it is a constant.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Tankakern posted:

haha composting

State of the Linux on the desktop 2020: slowly composting

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

There's always this

aaAgh

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
but can it execute vbscript

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
sed 's@HKLM@/etc/@g'

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
PowerShell has exceptions and it can awkwardly use generics.

Suck it golang.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are these two things competition in your mind

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
they're both used by tedious posters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

psiox posted:

i've personally written all kinds of glue for this sort of thing in shell script that is readable and maintainable.

psiox posted:

but i have a feeling that the kinds of people that are writing powershell to manage their cloud resources are prone to all kinds of layering violations and/or being dumbasses in general

the main difference between bash and powershell is that powershell has a debugger

everything else is cosmetic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

multiple people have tried to make "structured shells" a thing to various degrees of unsuccess. plain text sucks as an interface but we're gonna be grepping and cutting and awking until the day we die

grepping cutting and awking is fine until you try to plumb them together using a programming language with no debugger or sdk

if your main problem is calling grep cut and awk and piping poo poo around maybe you should move your bash commands into a p-lang script

the p-lang script will be much more debug-able even if you are just aggregating unix pipeline inputs/outputs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my main problem with powershell is that it was clearly designed by people who never used a CLI. all the commands are like Get-Exchange-Mail-Recipients, etc. yes, that's far more verbose/"user friendly" than something like mailq or grep, but you're gonna have to read the docs to be able to use it anyway. why not make them commands that work with a keyboard interface and tab completion??

like, i wanted to like powershell, but it's incredibly loving clunky to interact with

e: i'm sure the scripting experience is better with a proper IDE or something too, but that's not here nor there either, if i want more than 3 lines of CLI script i'll use a python

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 19, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the main difference between bash and powershell is that powershell has a debugger

everything else is cosmetic

lol no. powershell has a full type system since its built on top of c#. bash is just lovely string manipulation.

powershell is not great, but its infinitely better than bash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Truga posted:

my main problem with powershell is that it was clearly designed by people who never used a CLI. all the commands are like Get-Exchange-Mail-Recipients, etc. yes, that's far more verbose/"user friendly" than something like mailq or grep, but you're gonna have to read the docs to be able to use it anyway. why not make them commands that work with a keyboard interface and tab completion??

like, i wanted to like powershell, but it's incredibly loving clunky to interact with

e: i'm sure the scripting experience is better with a proper IDE or something too, but that's not here nor there either, if i want more than 3 lines of CLI script i'll use a python

why would you make the commands opaque and stupid when you can make them descriptive? powershell has tab completion.

also every CLI before powershell has been a complete shitshow, so anything they do differently is probably better

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Truga posted:

if you're using it as a daily driver and typing the same commands often, most commands will have a standardized alias matching the initials. eg. get child item is 'gci', invoke web request is 'iwr', and so on.

infrequently-used commands are much better as verbose but intuitive long statements. easier discovery, easier error checking, easier readability

ps-readline (tab completion and more) has shipped as a standard module for years now, so if you want to get something related to email you can just go get-exch{tab} and browse instead of having to google

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
help in powershell is also standardized w/ Get-Help <commandname> to further improve discoverability

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

ps-readline (tab completion and more) has shipped as a standard module for years now, so if you want to get something related to email you can just go get-exch{tab} and browse instead of having to google

i know there's tab completion, but it is also 300% useless because typing get-exch<tab> you get to tab through 30 trillion commands because they all start with the same 15 characters. you'll end up typing 80% of the command either way.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way i do think it is entirely fair to say that powershell makes a pretty dubious direct replacement for bash for the day-to-day operating of your computer. what it does is make a good replacement for a lot of rolling even worse specialized clis (i.e. instead of a wonky commandline client for your sql server, which can't be integrated with anything else, just add composable commands to your existing shell in a structured and type-safe way), which also makes it a good replacement for some of the worst misuses of bash.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah that's true. powershell has some really nice stuff in it. although linux has now already replaced the feature i liked in powershell the most: being able to sift through logs programmatically, rather than trying to | sed | sort my way through a bunch of logs which might or might not have compatible timestamps. powershell had the edge there for a bit, but then journald happened.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

if you're using it as a daily driver and typing the same commands often, most commands will have a standardized alias matching the initials. eg. get child item is 'gci', invoke web request is 'iwr', and so on.

infrequently-used commands are much better as verbose but intuitive long statements. easier discovery, easier error checking, easier readability

It's dumb that they allowed stuff like "ls" as an alias for get-childitem and then had to break it on linux because it would clash with the external command.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

It's dumb that they allowed stuff like "ls" as an alias for get-childitem and then had to break it on linux because it would clash with the external command.

its dumb that a command humans were supposed to type regularly was spelled "get-childitem"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

its dumb that a command humans were supposed to type regularly was spelled "get-childitem"
As NihilCredo said, it was probably (?) intended that people would write "gci" most of the time. It may be slightly unconventional to have these aliases built into the langauge, but maybe if every command had exactly one short alias it wouldn't be terrible? However, the actual way they implemented it with multiple aliases for commands is pretty bad.

If you see other people's code that uses other aliases it makes it hard to read, but not using aliases at all makes it too verbose, especially if you don't use ? and % which just makes it gross.

It has to be said that powershell still works a ton better than bash/sed/whatever for a lot of stuff, though.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

good job to microsoft finding something worse than unix cli tool names though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its get-childitem because it can be used for other providers than the file system like the registry, certificate stores, sql server, etc...

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

the irony of fighting over who's shell is better in the "Linux on the desktop" thread is *chefs kiss*

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I said "loving Linux" out loud yesterday and my wife said "yeah why are you using a garbage operating system". Pretty sure she's operating the Shaggar account.

For the record I'm using Linux on the desktop because I'm an idiot but also because my cheap rear end computer runs faster on Linux and I don't wanna spend :10bux: on new hardware. Also I'm using Ubuntu which barely counts as Linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tell her to text me.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

the irony of fighting over who's shell is better in the "Linux on the desktop" thread is *chefs kiss*

the idea that anyone would willingly engage in powershell apologia is so lol

good page for updating your do-not-hire spreadsheets

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the irony is that it took Microsoft to make the first working shell for Linux.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it kinda makes sense theyd port ps when you consider windows is EOL and will soon be replaced with linux

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mods please swap the titles of this thread and the Microsoft thread

simble
May 11, 2004

i just wish they would've gone with noun-verb instead of verb-noun in powershell. the verbs used are inconsistent across modules so it makes discovery (usually with tab completion) more difficult.

like, i'd rather type fart-<tab> and see what i can do with the farts than have to know the verb first.

this is the primary reason that i use the azure az-cli rather than the powershell module for azure janitoring. with the az cli i can usually figure out what i need through discovery, but with the powershell module i have to have the docs open.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
THE YEAR

OF LINUX

ON THE DESKTOP

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/19/21263377/microsoft-windows-10-linux-gui-apps-gpu-acceleration-wsl-features

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm excited tbh after previously setting up intellij-under-wsl2 with some third party x server and having it work shockingly well

apparently unlike all the windows x servers, this is gonna use wayland and RDP, which is how it's gonna get GPU acceleration

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jenny Agutter posted:

Mods please swap the titles of this thread and the Microsoft thread

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wtf

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Microsoft-DX12-WSL2

edit: yeah i know it's the same news as above

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
is there any actual first-party blog posting or other announcement so I don't have to go to either of those two garbage sites