Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Typical Canadians, try to do something honouring a group and just end up creating more work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Thanks snowbirds. I feel better about things now

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It's a metaphor for reopening the country.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arivia posted:

why the gently caress are we flying the goddamn snowbirds right now

why do we even have them in the first place

two excellent questions

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

why the gently caress are we flying the goddamn snowbirds right now

why do we even have them in the first place

The pilots need so many hours so they can stay trained, so they're flying either way, why not have them help people look up and go "ooooo" for a moment

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jan posted:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jan posted:

They even crashed into a house (Canadian real estate market)

can't make this up

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, at least the snowbirds make use of retired airplanes that would just be rusting away in a field somewhere otherwise. Honestly, I have nothing against them, and I think the worst that can be said about them is that they do air shows. Hell, the planes they use aren't even combat aircraft, they're trainer planes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

The pilots need so many hours so they can stay trained, so they're flying either way, why not have them help people look up and go "ooooo" for a moment

i don't think this is really helping

also I'm okay with the pilots losing their trained status on "flying jets to look cool"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

i don't think this is really helping

oh it's totally not

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
daaaamn that ejection seat didn't slow down at all

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Randalor posted:

Eh, at least the snowbirds make use of retired airplanes that would just be rusting away in a field somewhere otherwise. Honestly, I have nothing against them, and I think the worst that can be said about them is that they do air shows. Hell, the planes they use aren't even combat aircraft, they're trainer planes.

It’s really bad for the environment, they burn a lot of fuel

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
it’s very canadian that something called operation inspiration would end in a fiery crash

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

it’s very canadian that something called operation inspiration would end in a fiery crash, as long as at least one indigenous person is killed as a result

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

daaaamn that ejection seat didn't slow down at all

Did the parachute even have time to properly deploy?

Disband the CF replace the air force with publicly owned heavy-lift booster rockets

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Why is Jason Kenny picking fights with China?

Isn't that the place the oil goes to through the pipelines he keeps going on about.

Or does it matter anymore to him? Just endless pipelines full of oil going nowhere.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
because china is bad. i mean thanks for buying our oil but bad. also thanks for buying our oil companies but bad. no i would not like to explain further

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Isn't that the place the oil goes to through the pipelines he keeps going on about.

Or does it matter anymore to him? Just endless pipelines full of oil going nowhere.

As evidenced by the place he governs, he is not a good politician.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Noblesse Obliged posted:

culture war

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I am so loving jacked up on inspiration right now

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Because his fan base is dumb as poo poo and will eat up this new victimization narrative. Everything bad that happens in Alberta is someone else's fault, why not add China to the list of who's behind this province's problems.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

pilot she dead

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Tighclops posted:

Did the parachute even have time to properly deploy?

Disband the CF replace the air force with publicly owned heavy-lift booster rockets

For whatever reason, they ejected while the plane was descending, launching the seats horizontally. FYI, they only work if they go up when they're that close to the ground.

That this happened shortly after takeoff is likely an engine problem. Considering these planes are over 50 years old, going on 60..... yeaaaaaaaaahh....

Checking wikipedia, they are planned to keep flying them another decade and update the avionics in 2 years. Somehow I very much doubt that now.

Edit: This isn't the first Snowbird crash this year, wtf

Isizzlehorn has issued a correction as of 09:12 on May 18, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Isizzlehorn posted:

For whatever reason, they ejected while the plane was descending, launching the seats horizontally. FYI, they only work if they go up when they're that close to the ground.

That this happened shortly after takeoff is likely an engine problem. Considering these planes are over 50 years old, going on 60..... yeaaaaaaaaahh....

Checking wikipedia, they are planned to keep flying them another decade and update the avionics in 2 years. Somehow I very much doubt that now.

Edit: This isn't the first Snowbird crash this year, wtf

Thanks for posting this, I know someone writing a piece about the crash and this info is going to be immensely helpful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally got to apply for my Trudeaubucks. :toot:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Coulda done over the weekend like I did! :toot:
I'm also interviewing for a job in my field this week too so having it might be moot!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm also interviewing for a job in my field this week too so having it might be moot!

mortician?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
Is there a non-propaganda reason for the Snowbirds?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

America have plane that do trick

Canada need plane to do trick

it’s the reason why we do a lot of things here

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

Making the military seem cool enough to hit recruitment quotas.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

So no? The Snowbirds are just for propaganda, then?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're half century old jet trainers, so unless we're preparing an elite squad of fighter pilots to time travel back to the 1970s, it's probably safe to assume they don't do much other than look cool and make loud noises

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Every dollar the CAF can't dedicate to killing brown people in the sand is a dollar well spent. Making loud whoosh sounds and smoke trails is the least problematic thing the CAF does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

his previous nemesis, the federal government, is now literally the only thing that can save the province from catastrophically collapsing, so he's busy looking for another target to shift the blame to

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Vermain posted:

his previous nemesis, the federal government, is now literally the only thing that can save the province from catastrophically collapsing, so he's busy looking for another target to shift the blame to

So we will know he has cancer the day he starts getting mad at oncologists

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guest2553 posted:

my nephew tried to join the canadian military. the recruiter kept giving him the run around and dodging his calls

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ouch. poor kid, that's gotta hurt.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Goosed it. posted:

Flight hours requirement for military pilots

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rutibex posted:

my nephew tried to join the canadian military. the recruiter kept giving him the run around and dodging his calls

brutal, you hate to see it.

They let me join at 16 and were extremely happy to have my unfit dumb rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sage Grimm posted:

Yup, noticed that this morning only. :argh:

Got an interview two weeks ago, still no answer. Apparently I did well but there's a bunch of other interviewees and only one spot.