Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

as a counterpoint, Dickeye was kind of a giant unhinged rear end in a top hat basically everywhere but the Finer Arts subforums. i miss her contributions and i don't think she was a bad poster, but i also really cannot find it in me to be against her getting a "consistent rear end in a top hat" perma, which unless you think every single mod who's commented on it including Fran is lying, was the rationale.

like, are y'all forgetting how basically every time Lurdiak said something she'd pop up out of the woodwork to scream "gently caress YOU" at him over some beef that literally nobody outside the two of them understood, and even Lurdiak himself seemed to barely grok? because that's more or less how she behaved in every other subforum towards everybody.

Ehh, Lurdiak was better at dropping it when told to by a mod, but both of them said horrible things to each other completely unprompted over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Lib_Librarian/status/1262119928410157057?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lurdiak has tried to keep the feud going even after Dickeye got banned, which is amazing and I respect the hell out of her for it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ahhh, lovely. Thanks.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Yeah that did my heart good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gripweed posted:

Lurdiak has tried to keep the feud going even after Dickeye got banned, which is amazing and I respect the hell out of her for it.

I really haven't, but feel free to spread weird lies. I am quite used to it from you. Like I've made no attempts to contact Dickeye outside the forums, ever, and I've mentioned them maybe once since they got banned, except for the times like now where people try to drag my name through the mud to make the case for unbanning them. I know you're really mad at me because you think everyone who doesn't like manga is a racist or whatever your stupid beef was, but you don't need to make up easily disproven nonsense.

I gotta say, it's pretty wild that people are defending Dickeye's honor by bringing me up, even though they literally do not post here anymore and cannot see your posts because they were banned for being a huge jackass. Like you'd think one of the participants being perma'd would put this to rest. But no, people still insist on "but Lurdiak"-ing this situation every time Dickeye comes up, or lying about how Dickeye got banned over an evil conspiracy in a subforum no one reads.

It's kinda rude, to be honest!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 18, 2020

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
She was kind of an rear end in a top hat but she was our rear end in a top hat

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I know it doesn't matter (especially in this age, when one should be more cognizant of not just assuming everyone on the internet is a man), but wait, Dickeye was a woman?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I know it doesn't matter (especially in this age, when one should be more cognizant of not just assuming everyone on the internet is a man), but wait, Dickeye was a woman?

Dickeye came out as trans some time back.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The whole “there are no girls on the internet” era was super weird in retrospect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Turns out the girls was the friends we made along the way.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is there an internet acronym for "a sense of warm satisfaction and deep fulfillment?" My mind went to "lmao" first but I don't think that quite does it

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has anybody ever proposed a Purple Rose of Cairo x Last Action Hero double feature?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Actually gently caress that: Purple Rose of Cairo x Enemy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Wrong thread

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Rewatching the X-Files and Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose is such a standout episode.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Rewatching the X-Files and Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose is such a standout episode.

It’s a perfect hour of TV, Boyle kills it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I made an '80s music mix a while ago that I finally uploaded if anyone cares for a gander

https://archive.org/details/wake-up-its-the-80s

Includes selections from:

- Cyndi Lauper
- Echo & the Bunnymen
- Eddy Grant
- Electric Light Orchestra
- Extra T's
- Heavy Metal soundtrack
- Keith LeBlanc
- Leonard Cohen
- Malcolm McLaren
- The Mantovani Orchestra
- Mariya Takeuchi
- N.W.A
- Oingo Boingo
- Pretty In Pink soundtrack

As well as dialogue from Ghostbusters, Do the Right Thing, and the trailer for American Pop

That weird, garbled racist rant you hear at the end of one of the songs is called "excerpts from interview," is credited to someone called "Mr. Butch," and comes from the 1986 compilation tape Son of Madness!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

K. Waste posted:

I made an '80s music mix a while ago that I finally uploaded if anyone cares for a gander

https://archive.org/details/wake-up-its-the-80s

Includes selections from:

- Cyndi Lauper
- Echo & the Bunnymen
- Eddy Grant
- Electric Light Orchestra
- Extra T's
- Heavy Metal soundtrack
- Keith LeBlanc
- Leonard Cohen
- Malcolm McLaren
- The Mantovani Orchestra
- Mariya Takeuchi
- N.W.A
- Oingo Boingo
- Pretty In Pink soundtrack

As well as dialogue from Ghostbusters, Do the Right Thing, and the trailer for American Pop

That weird, garbled racist rant you hear at the end of one of the songs is called "excerpts from interview," is credited to someone called "Mr. Butch," and comes from the 1986 compilation tape Son of Madness!

Nice. This seems like good vibing material.

Speaking of archive.org, apparently the first like day of MTV programming got uploaded. Has anyone checked that out yet? I’m on a telephone and don’t feel like doing it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I really haven't, but feel free to spread weird lies. I am quite used to it from you. Like I've made no attempts to contact Dickeye outside the forums, ever, and I've mentioned them maybe once since they got banned, except for the times like now where people try to drag my name through the mud to make the case for unbanning them. I know you're really mad at me because you think everyone who doesn't like manga is a racist or whatever your stupid beef was, but you don't need to make up easily disproven nonsense.

I gotta say, it's pretty wild that people are defending Dickeye's honor by bringing me up, even though they literally do not post here anymore and cannot see your posts because they were banned for being a huge jackass. Like you'd think one of the participants being perma'd would put this to rest. But no, people still insist on "but Lurdiak"-ing this situation every time Dickeye comes up, or lying about how Dickeye got banned over an evil conspiracy in a subforum no one reads.

It's kinda rude, to be honest!

I should note, I wasn't exactly defending her honor by bringing you up (and, to my knowledge, I'm the one who did). I was using that whole bizarre situation as an example of how Dickeye, while in many respects a valuable and missed presence, could also be a giant rear end in a top hat for no apparent reason, to the point where outside CD and BSS, that was basically her thing on the forums.

The perma was, as stated, because she wouldn't stop being a huge rear end in a top hat to people for little to no reason. In light of the fact that, even here, in one of the places she was capable of making really good posts, she still did that poo poo, I can't actually argue with the logic, even if I miss when she would make normal non-rear end in a top hat posts.

e: Honestly SA in general has turned back into a really arch and hostile place, though, to the point where I've been tempted to just straight up bail. The only thing really keeping me from doing it is that I don't get a huge amount of human interaction nowadays, and if I did leave I'd mostly still just be talking to goons anyways, just on Discord and Facebook instead of here.

In that light, I especially can't argue with attempting to purge out people who make a habit of enforcing that atmosphere, but it also makes me wonder if trying to do so is Sisyphean.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 18, 2020

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

It might be my favourite, either that or "Jose Chung's From Outer Space". I'm just a huge fan of any of them written by Darin Morgan.

He was basically the only person to write really good episodes for the revival seasons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

It might be my favourite, either that or "Jose Chung's From Outer Space". I'm just a huge fan of any of them written by Darin Morgan.

He was basically the only person to write really good episodes for the revival seasons.

Jose Chung's From Outer Space is my favorite X-Files ep.

youd for i
Mar 24, 2006

Please enter your password, then press pound

Franchescanado posted:

Jose Chung's From Outer Space is my favorite X-Files ep.

That one or X cops for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Darin Morgan's episodes are all instant classics. Beyond The Sea, Home, The Post Modern Prometheus, those are all classics too. Then there's the ones that are just loving hilarious, like Bad Blood. I laughed so hard at that opening.

youd for i posted:

X cops rules.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I should note, I wasn't exactly defending her honor by bringing you up (and, to my knowledge, I'm the one who did). I was using that whole bizarre situation as an example of how Dickeye, while in many respects a valuable and missed presence, could also be a giant rear end in a top hat for no apparent reason, to the point where outside CD and BSS, that was basically her thing on the forums.

The perma was, as stated, because she wouldn't stop being a huge rear end in a top hat to people for little to no reason. In light of the fact that, even here, in one of the places she was capable of making really good posts, she still did that poo poo, I can't actually argue with the logic, even if I miss when she would make normal non-rear end in a top hat posts.

e: Honestly SA in general has turned back into a really arch and hostile place, though, to the point where I've been tempted to just straight up bail. The only thing really keeping me from doing it is that I don't get a huge amount of human interaction nowadays, and if I did leave I'd mostly still just be talking to goons anyways, just on Discord and Facebook instead of here.

In that light, I especially can't argue with attempting to purge out people who make a habit of enforcing that atmosphere, but it also makes me wonder if trying to do so is Sisyphean.

You're not the one I was cross with.

And I don't know if SA has become more or less toxic in recent years or if it's just that our collective tolerance for toxic behavior has gone drastically down. There's always been weird cliques, performative cruelty, pointless oneupmanship, and a competition to care the least in online communities. But that stuff made a lot more sense to me as a teen than as a guy nearing his 40s. I'd like to think the forums are overall a positive place to be but sometimes it can be hard to believe it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

youd for i posted:

Oh, and "Mutato" and "Home".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Agua Mala is one I've always really liked along with the ones y'all named.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Remember the one where Will Sasso and the guy who throws up in Clerks 2 find a genie and Will Sasso's in a wheelchair and they're like "We could wish for a solid gold wheelchair!"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

There's always been weird cliques, performative cruelty, pointless oneupmanship, and a competition to care the least in online communities. But that stuff made a lot more sense to me as a teen than as a guy nearing his 40s. I'd like to think the forums are overall a positive place to be but sometimes it can be hard to believe it.

It feels like FYAD was shut down years ago

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Post-Modern Prometheus is still one of my favorites.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LesterGroans posted:

I didn't see many of the X-Files revival season episodes but I really like Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster. I would even put it up there as one of the best episodes of the X-Files overall. My favorite episodes were always the silly ones and this nailed the spirit of those and Rhys Darby is always hilarious and charming. I also like this bit:

This picture on the bottom is Carl Kolchak from the sadly short lived 70s series called Kolchak: The Night Stalker. It was quite popular and was spun off from two tv movies that got very high ratings but the actor who played the title character decided that he wasn't interested in further seasons. But the show was a huge inspiration for the X-Files which Chris Carter has acknowledged as he is a great fan. Kolchak was about a reporter who went around chasing paranormal creatures. Carter asked the actor who played Carl Kolchak to appear as the character in an episode of the X-Files but he didn't wnat to play him again. He did end up in an episode though. Anyway, this was just a fun reference for nerds.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CPL593H posted:

I didn't see many of the X-Files revival season episodes but I really like Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster. I would even put it up there as one of the best episodes of the X-Files overall. My favorite episodes were always the silly ones and this nailed the spirit of those and Rhys Darby is always hilarious and charming. I also like this bit:

This picture on the bottom is Carl Kolchak from the sadly short lived 70s series called Kolchak: The Night Stalker. It was quite popular and was spun off from two tv movies that got very high ratings but the actor who played the title character decided that he wasn't interested in further seasons. But the show was a huge inspiration for the X-Files which Chris Carter has acknowledged as he is a great fan. Kolchak was about a reporter who went around chasing paranormal creatures. Carter asked the actor who played Carl Kolchak to appear as the character in an episode of the X-Files but he didn't wnat to play him again. He did end up in an episode though. Anyway, this was just a fun reference for nerds.

Yeah, it rules. I don't know if you've seen it, but in the next season he wrote "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" which does a take on the Mandela Effect and it's absolutely a "silly one" and just legitimately good. It's one of... two or three episodes that season that would hold up with the best of them in the original run.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I got halfway through Sátántangó on Kanopy today and I forgot that when I first learned about it here someone mentioned how tough the cat scene is and ooh boy yeah it uncomfortable.

But the movie itself is phenomenal. Its chapters move back and forward in time to mimic tango steps, each shot is a painting, and it captures the languid and meditative yet epic feel of a novel.

Seven and a half hours is asking a bit much but at least it's got some comedy unlike Turin Horse which just felt like nihilism: the movie. Though also phenomenal.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, I'm rewatching X-Files now that I have Hulu again.

Hulu surprisingly has a lot of good movies and documentaries. There's more on there to watch than Netflix.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

It was quite popular and was spun off from two tv movies that got very high ratings but the actor who played the title character decided that he wasn't interested in further seasons.

Yes and no. The show was never wildly popular, and it was stashed in the Friday nights at 10 death slot, so the ratings were only mediocre at best. Darren McGavin was getting frustrated with the show, primarily because of a ridiculous shooting schedule, and decided to bail, which ABC always used as its justification for canceling the show even though they had already decided to can it because of nonexistent viewership.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Franchescanado posted:

gently caress it, I'm rewatching X-Files now that I have Hulu again.

Hulu surprisingly has a lot of good movies and documentaries. There's more on there to watch than Netflix.

A mind-bogglingly lovely UI though, atleast on roku.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah, it sucks. I still use Letterboxd to show me what's on Hulu from my To Watch list. I don't watch too many shows, but JustWatch helps with that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I don't hate Hulu's PS4 app, but it used to have a much better UX.

Amazon Prime, though, that's the service with a UX forged in the fires of Mount Doom. I canceled it almost two years ago and I don't regret it at all.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s terrible on Amazon Fire too. It’s the most unintuitive design ever

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kolcak is pretty much the definition of a cult classic. Pretty much no one watched it when it was on but it's influence is immense.

The term "monster of the week" was literally coined to describe the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The original Kolchak TV movie is excellent, you can see right away why they turned it into a show.