Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SRQ posted:

author/creation distinction is a thing.

Enders Game is an okay book despite the author being one of those chuds, etc.

I think they'd probably just fall back on "The SJWs got them."

theres a pretty convincing critical case that enders game is hitler apologia

i didn't really get that from the book but the case is actually quite surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it wasn't convincing at all unless you're grasping at straws for a reason to hate the book after discovering osc is a chud.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Grace Baiting posted:

plz say "trans" (or "transgender" if you must), thx friendo

I do myself actually but why....

Oh wait yeah, sex/gender differentiation. And if you just use "trans" you automatically include both, while "transsexual" excludes people who have not had (or do not desire) physical sex alteration,

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i've read that article and it's basically "hitler was a fascist, ender's game portrays fascism, ipso facto, and also there are countless ways that ender's life mirrors hitler's which only a hitler scholar would recognize but this margin is too small to contain them"

osc is absolutely a nutjob and may be a nazi today but he wasn't back in the 80s. ender's game is just regular teenage power fantasy.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Grace Baiting posted:

plz say "trans" (or "transgender" if you must), thx friendo

Edited.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rmac18/status/1262166240308547584

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shaggar posted:

it wasn't convincing at all unless you're grasping at straws for a reason to hate the book after discovering osc is a chud.

hard to blame people for the impulse though

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc
West Wall of America
[Exits: north east south up]
You are in the America. Remember, if you wish to get out of this America, just
go up. Ceilings can barely be seen in this huge America. You feel as if you are
being watched by some divine being.

A Boer tries to run you over.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
> hang firetruck poster on brick wall

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

> play joe organ experience on bluetooth speaker in opposite direction

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LaurenDavis/status/1262116296293879808

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’s the manager asking to speak to the manager in perpetuity. elon actually created the perpetual moaning machine

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

psiox posted:

hard to blame people for the impulse though

yeah it's nice and clean to go "Oh, he's a chud. The book is also bad," because that nicely escapes the whole liking a book written by a jackass.
i was mad at the movie because it skirts around the entire plot twist of "ender didn't need to cause a genocide and nobody bothered to communicate"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SRQ posted:

yeah it's nice and clean to go "Oh, he's a chud. The book is also bad," because that nicely escapes the whole liking a book written by a jackass.
i was mad at the movie because it skirts around the entire plot twist of "ender didn't need to cause a genocide and nobody bothered to communicate"

I read it as an adult, and thought it was pretty bad. The sequels were just complete nonsensical garbage.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

never forget that enders game (or maybe its sequels I can't remember) has two children overtaking the world government by making such good and thoughtful posts on the Internet that they get carried to power on a wave of popularity even though one of them is a literal fascist and they astroturfed the whole thing

pretty sure mark Zuckerberg read the book and went "hmm"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
yeah if you read ednas game as a young teen then you probably got rock hard reading it and thought it was the Bible but I read it in my 20s and thought it was pretty weak

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i went in to the movie thinking it would be complete dog poo poo and it was worse than that

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SRQ posted:

I thought that revealed later in the series but it's been a long time since I read it

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i went in to the movie thinking it would be complete dog poo poo and it was worse than that

review of your sextape? BOOM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

George posted:

yeah if you read ednas game as a young teen then you probably got rock hard reading it and thought it was the Bible but I read it in my 20s and thought it was pretty weak

i read it as a teen and thought it was ridiculous bullshit. osc sure did like his naked boy fights

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/05/report-tesla-plans-to-build-a-new-car-factory-in-texas/?comments=1 posted:

Musk is not "left" or "right" he does not live in this political narrative. He is not from this country. He is VERY grateful for everything America has to offer him since he is from South Africa he realizes how much of a privilege it is just to be in this country with these opportunities. Remember though... his goal and mission in life is to help solve climate change and prolong the existence of humanity with Space X by giving us a chance of survival in a planet wide event, Tesla by helping reduce emissions of CO2, neurolink by giving us high speed bandwidth to communicate to AI, and the boring company (because he is tired of traffic 

It's not fair to pin him to left or right, he doesn't think like we do.
He is not left, not right but forward.

Couldn't even fake post that ironically :barf:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I never understood the praise for Ender's Game. When I read it, I thought it was an okay story. I read the sequel and it was one of the worst things I ever read.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Someone tell me that musk quote is a troll copy-pasta

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i read it as a teen and thought it was ridiculous bullshit. osc sure did like his naked boy fights

there's one of those across the entire series of novels, yet like the hitler analogy, some people get really focused on it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

never forget that enders game (or maybe its sequels I can't remember) has two children overtaking the world government by making such good and thoughtful posts on the Internet that they get carried to power on a wave of popularity even though one of them is a literal fascist and they astroturfed the whole thing

pretty sure mark Zuckerberg read the book and went "hmm"

i mean other than the age what did osc get wrong :chaostrump:

Munkeymon posted:

I thought that revealed later in the series but it's been a long time since I read it

yeah i thought that was in speaker for the dead too, but enders game has like 3 epilogues to bridge it to that book so maybe it was technically in there for some printing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

there's one of those across the entire series of novels, yet like the hitler analogy, some people get really focused on it

i'm p. sure there are two in the first book, but whatever

mystes
May 31, 2006

The hitler thing is dumb, because to believe it you have to assume that OSC is lying about about just wanting to write Ender's Game so he could write the sequels. It's understandable that people would think this because the sequels suck but he follows the exact same pattern of starting with a dcent first book in the standard juvenile power fantasy convention and then diverting it into bizarre moral questions that nobody gives a poo poo about in subsequent installments.

On the other hand there is stuff like naked boys wrestling in the shower in pretty much every book he's written, so that's definitely representative of his work.

Overall, I think he could have been way more popular if he 1) kept is mouth shut about his dumb bigoted opinions, 2) only wrote standalone books because all his series turn into crap, and 3) had less weird stuff like naked boys wrestling in the shower.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 18, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

The hitler thing is dumb, because to believe it you have to assume that OSC is lying about about just wanting to write Ender's Game so he could write the sequels.

the novella or the novel. iirc its very, very clear where he veers off course from the novella to the setup for speaker

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

the novella or the novel. iirc its very, very clear where he veers off course from the novella to the setup for speaker
Wasn't it his intent with both or was that something that happened in between the novella or the novel?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the novella is actually pretty good

the book is the novella plus 200 pages of unnecessary filler and nonsense and isnt good at all

many lols at the movie flopping hard and osc not getting a river of cash from sequels and development deals for his other properties

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i'm p. sure there are two in the first book, but whatever

i believe ender kills two boys in fistfights (both totally in self-defense and he's just such a good fighter that he does it accidentally) but only one of them takes place in the showers.

mystes posted:

On the other hand there is stuff like naked boys wrestling in the shower in pretty much every book he's written,

i do not remember a single naked boy wrestling scene in speaker for the dead, xenocide, or children of the mind. either you or i have some weeeird constructed reality going on

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 18, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's been a long time since i read any of them but i feel like speaker for the dead was pretty good? it's a lot different to ender's game

e: also wtf is this SA banner ad that came up after i posted itt

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 18, 2020

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

big scary monsters posted:

it's been a long time since i read any of them but i feel like speaker for the dead was pretty good? it's a lot different to ender's game

It's incredibly boring self-flagellation while living among sentient portuguese pigs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gschmidl posted:

It's incredibly boring self-flagellation while living among sentient portuguese pigs.

sentient portuguese pigs that you're supposed to let kill you if they want

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Also I'm the 20 plus (or was it 60?) years the colony existed, no one ever cut down a single tree

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i never could determine where card’s portuguese kink in that series came from. in many of the ender books there were conversations where he’d have the characters speaking in portuguese and then he’d supply the english translation on the same line. maybe he was simply being paid by the word.

also i remembered what made me put the whole series down: it was when one of his terribly written female characters started going off about about how great it felt to go into battle with jizz running down her thighs. :wtc:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i believe ender kills two boys in fistfights (both totally in self-defense and he's just such a good fighter that he does it accidentally) but only one of them takes place in the showers.

i do not remember a single naked boy wrestling scene in speaker for the dead, xenocide, or children of the mind. either you or i have some weeeird constructed reality going on
Read Songmaster.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

TerminalRaptor posted:

Couldn't even fake post that ironically :barf:

people really love inventing humble beginning that didn't exist for him

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Also no one figured out how the (non-sentient) wildlife was reproducing.

And the main character discovers his soul mate fromv short a video recording

You also get to see where Bungie plagerized got the idea for Cortana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

i never could determine where card’s portuguese kink in that series came from. in many of the ender books there were conversations where he’d have the characters speaking in portuguese and then he’d supply the english translation on the same line. maybe he was simply being paid by the word.

also i remembered what made me put the whole series down: it was when one of his terribly written female characters started going off about about how great it felt to go into battle with jizz running down her thighs. :wtc:

maybe osc is a Brazilian sex tourist