Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ahhhh I was going to join that tomorrow morning. Someone already got to hardmode? Wow. I thought for sure by the time I joined you all would still be not far past hiding from zombies and sifting through piles of gravestones, from the sound of it.

I think there's two servers though, maybe I can still hop on Munki's with some hope of catching up.

So that I can play eventually, could someone help me with this?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

First time on Desktop version. Getting very low frame rate intermittently. Is there any way to see my current FPS? That would help to diagnose.

It runs best when I go windowed and only use part of my screen. But, the mouse pointer clicks my Desktop icons whenever I overshoot out of the window. In contrast, Minecraft "captures" your mouse so that this can't happen. Is there any way to do something similar in Terraria? How do I avoid clicking outside of a windowed (not full-screen) game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also if anyone knows what these two buttons are meant to be? Where can I read up

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ahhhh I was going to join that tomorrow morning. Someone already got to hardmode? Wow. I thought for sure by the time I joined you all would still be not far past hiding from zombies and sifting through piles of gravestones, from the sound of it.

I think there's two servers though, maybe I can still hop on Munki's with some hope of catching up.

So that I can play eventually, could someone help me with this?

Munki's server is the Journey server that's on master difficulty and hardmode already.

Stealtharcher's server is the Master mode only server, and I'm not sure if it's been updated yet.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also if anyone knows what these two buttons are meant to be? Where can I read up

Click them and note the header text below changes as you do. They're Gameplay Controls and Menu Controls.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ambaire posted:

You can smart cursor replant herbs in pots as one action rather than harvesting then replanting... this is gonna save a bunch of time. No more tedious careful pickaxing of the blooming herbs; just run along and quick harvest/replant at the same time.

edit: however, it will happily replace moonglow with daybloom or whatever, so some caution is advised
Get a Rod of Regrowth and you get more stuff when you harvest with it, and it only hits blooming herbs!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

Get a Rod of Regrowth and you get more stuff when you harvest with it, and it only hits blooming herbs!

Well, yeah, sure, if/when you get one.

I'm pretty sure the smart cursor replant blooming plants is new with 1.4.. isn't it?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

My 5-man Master mode server has been an absolute riot so far. None of us could remember anything about the game (last time we played was 2017), and the first couple of nights were a total massacre. It took us a really long time to figure out how ghost spawns were triggered, and they were just exponentially increasing our death rate.

We've cleared everything bar Wall of Flesh now, so not long until we push into hard mode. Minus some crazy rubberbanding on flying mobs, we've only really had one issue -- the Dungeon entrance at the bottom of the staircase was misaligned, so the door was floating in mid air and the staircase was solid dungeon brick, so I ended up grabbing my old character to mine a doorway for us.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I've been sitting at 24x speed with no meteors... but I got enough travelling merchants and fishing quests done to finish my Cell Phone before hardmode at least, that's something.

Journey Mode options are so convenient.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've been thinking about Master mode first goblin invasion strategies.. there's nothing that says I can't load up on obsidian skin potions (thanks to fireblossom seeds from an herb bag) and make the surface center area an ankle deep lava trap, right? I already put my forest pylon in the forest close to the ocean edge, so I have no bases near the surface center. Cavern base, sure. I've got an invasion banner and am sitting at 180hp so I don't have to worry about random Eye spawns.

edit: although i guess i'll need to go to 200hp to summon them. drat. may as well finish getting enough hearts to go straight to 400...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 18, 2020

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Ambaire posted:

Stealtharcher, if you're around, the server could use an update and restart.. getting some mad lag here.

The server in question is back on 104.246.132.142:7777 Travelling and doing it on a phone sucks.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I am having two problems thus far with this update.

First: I can't seem to get a forest pylon. I have a small house with the merchant, guide, and zoologist near the spawn in the forest, but they don't seem to be happy enough with the arrangement to sell it. I've moved most of the other NPCs away from the usual spawn prison (about two screens distance away) but there are still some there, is that somehow screwing with them? None of them have the "hate being crowded" dialogue anymore, though. I've successfully gotten desert/jungle/underground pylons, forest just won't proc.

Second: In multiplayer I'm having crazy rubber-banding of enemies. No frame drops or more traditional lag, just enemies rubber-banding a lot. In my 2-person playthrough with my partner in the same room it's mostly not happening unless we're on opposite ends of the world, but I tried to get another world going with a friend a few hundred miles away and it got insanely bad, like a zombie would jump and 2/3rds of the way through the jump would start the jump over again, repeat 30 times. If you manage to hit it, it teleports 20 blocks away to restart the whole process.

Even weirder, when both of the others left the game as we were closing down, in-game time sped up to like 4x normal. It was like the game had saved up all the time spent repeating enemy actions and was playing it in fast forward to catch up, or something.

Any ideas? Everything on the Reddit is like "change your lighting" and "disable background" which has done nothing thus far. I've just been using the "host and play" multiplayer and join via steam options, should I run the server exec separately? Would that do anything? It's unplayable as is for the multiplayer group I wanted to get going.

Edit: Also folks posting servers for goons, remember that this thread is just in games and isn't behind a paywall, so it's possible for non-goons to see and join servers you post.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nighthand posted:

I am having two problems thus far with this update.

First: I can't seem to get a forest pylon. I have a small house with the merchant, guide, and zoologist near the spawn in the forest, but they don't seem to be happy enough with the arrangement to sell it. I've moved most of the other NPCs away from the usual spawn prison (about two screens distance away) but there are still some there, is that somehow screwing with them? None of them have the "hate being crowded" dialogue anymore, though. I've successfully gotten desert/jungle/underground pylons, forest just won't proc.
Put one person who has a shop and likes the forest in the area, and a person the shop haver likes regardless of the second person's biome preference. Only one person needs to be happy enough to sell you the pylon.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I love the secret 05152020 seed. Used it to get both kinds of metal up to gold/platinum and do both crimson and corruption stuff. Now my character has an infinite supply of both.

Working my way now through fishing quests in my normal world.

Has anyone had any luck yet with npc placement and pylons. Getting sick of running to the ocean/jungle and would like to build towns there but I have no idea what NPCs to put where so I can get the pylons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I tried a huge map as a solo newb

I think it’s too big

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

axeil posted:

I love the secret 05152020 seed. Used it to get both kinds of metal up to gold/platinum and do both crimson and corruption stuff. Now my character has an infinite supply of both.

Working my way now through fishing quests in my normal world.

Has anyone had any luck yet with npc placement and pylons. Getting sick of running to the ocean/jungle and would like to build towns there but I have no idea what NPCs to put where so I can get the pylons.

If you don't mind spoilers, the wiki is updated and seems to be accurate.

I've opted to use it in lieu of trial and error making a spreadsheet manually.

euphronius posted:

I tried a huge map as a solo newb

I think it’s too big

I do large maps so I have a decent distance between surface and sky start and lots of stuff to explore underground. I wouldn't mind world gen options for a Deep small/medium world (150% or 200% normal total height)...

edit:

BURN! only disadvantage of this is no banner progression. need to figure a way to tag em

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 18, 2020

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Built my Angler a nice house out by the ocean, next thing I know I get a message saying he has left. :negative: I didn't even know NPCs could do that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

VodeAndreas posted:

Not specifically but want it ticked off the pre-hardmode list in my head.

I am planning on going Magic this run but I think jungle armour's slightly better than meteor (if I'm not using Space Gun)?

Same here, cant get the meteor to drop. Fought 3 Brains of Cthulhu last night and nothing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Master mode goblin army was defeated in a minute flat of mindless minishark spamming trying to tag the poor helpless goblins as they melted alive in my glorious lava ankle lake. Oh yeah.

Left side:

Right side:

Lava good, ya'all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

axeil posted:

The bestiary tells you what their favourite biome is. In my experience an NPC alone in their favourite biome will sell the pylon, though you'll then need a second NPC around to use it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Built my Angler a nice house out by the ocean, next thing I know I get a message saying he has left. :negative: I didn't even know NPCs could do that.

That means he died. They just won't say a kid died. Same thing for the cat and dog, I found out.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Malmesbury Monster posted:

He died. His death message is ”left” since children dont die. 99% chance he walked to sea and drowned.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Oh so that's why my cat kept leaving, I thought it was just being a cat doing cat things.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Doesn’t seem to do anything special for me? Except it says generating bees throughout world gen, but it’s otherwise normal.

e: Journey mode helped

Clearly you didn’t visit the scenic yellow oceans or newly remodeled underground

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

The bestiary tells you what their favourite biome is. In my experience an NPC alone in their favourite biome will sell the pylon, though you'll then need a second NPC around to use it.

Do the NPCs have to be happy to use the plyon, or do you just need at least 2 around?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

axeil posted:

Do the NPCs have to be happy to use the plyon, or do you just need at least 2 around?

They Need to be in their fav biome to sell it, Thats all. Once you have a pylon Any 2 peons can operate it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

axeil posted:

They don't even need to present, as long as their assigned houses are nearby. (And that means they don't need to be happy either, since NPCs far from their homes are very unhappy).

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Valtonen posted:

He died. His death message is ”left” since children dont die. 99% chance he walked to sea and drowned.

I thought he just hated his new house and moved out :saddowns:

Someone else moved in immediately after his demise so it's going to be a minute before he comes back. Not building barracks has got my NPCs in a huge bottleneck but it's a fun problem to have. Journey Mode has really made building a lot less stressful.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Folks getting a 'this is not a valid house' for this house

This is my first time trying to build a house underground can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Folks getting a 'this is not a valid house' for this house

This is my first time trying to build a house underground can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

The background walls have to fully cover the room.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure, but it might not like the roof over 2 y-levels. Might be worth trying to level it out.

We had one yesterday that just randomly stopped qualifying and had to rebuild the whole drat thing to make it work again.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
NPCs need at least one block on the floor to stand on.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Omnicarus posted:

The background walls have to fully cover the room.

Yeah it looks like you're missing a few pieces of background wall above your workbench

edit: to add to this, I recommend turning on the smart cursor (left control button to toggle on/off) when you're filling in or hammering out background walls. It's a nice quality of life move where you can stand in one place and hold left mouse button down and the game does the rest. Before this, I would occasionally miss pieces too.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 18, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Geomancing posted:

NPCs need at least one block on the floor to stand on.

From the wiki

quote:

Framework
A house must be fully enclosed with the following features:

The side walls (vertical blocks) can be made of blocks, Doors, Platforms or Tall Gates.
The floor and ceiling (horizontal blocks) can be made of blocks, Trap Doors or Platforms. The whole floor cannot be made of platforms.
(emphasis mine)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Yeah it looks like you're missing a few pieces of background wall above your workbench

edit: to add to this, I recommend turning on the smart cursor (left control button to toggle on/off) when you're filling in or hammering out background walls. It's a nice quality of life move where you can stand in one place and hold left mouse button down and the game does the rest. Before this, I would occasionally miss pieces too.

Thanks for the help folks!!! I'll go back in and do a better jobs with the walls.

E: Turns out the problem apparently was the mixed ceiling? I don't know I replaced the ceiling with wood except for the entrance platform and it worked. Now folks are saying you need two people down in the house? I could make another room and move the nurse in?

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 18, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mayveena posted:

From the wiki
(emphasis mine)

quote:

Framework
A house must be fully enclosed with the following features:

The side walls (vertical blocks) can be made of blocks, Doors, Platforms or Tall Gates.
The floor and ceiling (horizontal blocks) can be made of blocks, Trap Doors or Platforms. The whole floor cannot be made of platforms.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Should I use Secret Seed for my first Terraria playthrough?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

HAHA, that's what I get for trying to be literate this early in the AM. Thanks!!!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Should I use Secret Seed for my first Terraria playthrough?

First ever it might be challenging.

You could do what I did and make a "normal" world and a secret seed world. The different ores are purely aesthetic differences and Corruption/Crimson doesn't really matter all that much since you're not playing on Expert.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As for hardmode on my server, I think it’s gonna be sitting pre-mechanical-bosses for a bit...a pirate invasion was beaten back with much effort, but it’s been a full wipe every time one of the mechanical bosses has shown up. More prep is pending and will be for a while, so I wouldn’t give up on it because of that one step.

On a side note: Zenith is new, right? I don’t recall the terra blade crafting tree going on that long :aaa:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat. I went into Journey mode blind and didn't expect it to basically be easy mode. I played for a few hours last night but I'm gonna ramp up and difficulty and possibly the spawn rate and give it a try. I've beaten WoF before but I dont know if I've ever cured all the corruption. Something else that will be trivialized by this research menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

axeil posted:

First ever it might be challenging.

You could do what I did and make a "normal" world and a secret seed world. The different ores are purely aesthetic differences and Corruption/Crimson doesn't really matter all that much since you're not playing on Expert.

Actually the alternate ores make slightly better equipment, Platinum Armor has better defense than Gold Armor, for example.

Though, you can also get the alternate ores with Silt/Slush and the Extractinator.