Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

it also helps that Carl is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Hey, Yuuki may be dumb but he is always trying his best and is adorable for it. He is like a big dumb friendly dog who just keeps failing to catch a ball.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
And Coral is basically Aqua with cat ears and a functional cerebellum so naturally she gets the best facial expressions.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Black Mage Knight posted:

Hey, Yuuki may be dumb but he is always trying his best and is adorable for it. He is like a big dumb friendly dog who just keeps failing to catch a ball.

And put everything in his mouth like a child to the panic of everyone around him. Its simple yet hilarious.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK finished the most recent episode and Im not sure I like the idea of this show trying to do something grimdark or serious. Its way more fun with everyone being functional idiots.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Besides, how many other shows have a llama in the cast?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Are there any other surprisingly good shows like this one this season? I know a lot of them are on hiatus for now but since I finally have some loving time off work I want to put it to good use.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Are there any other surprisingly good shows like this one this season? I know a lot of them are on hiatus for now but since I finally have some loving time off work I want to put it to good use.

Kaguya-sama is a very good romcom, emphasis on the comedy.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Wave, Listen to Me! (Nami yo Kiitekure ) is a great and unpredictable comedy about spectacular mess of a woman stumbling into being a radio host. It's also one of the most "for adults" animes I have ever seen, not in the "gratuitous sex and violence" sense, but in the "this show is written to be extremely relatable to people that are at least mid-twenties" sense, which makes it pretty unique by itself. Additionally, it features incredible VA work, pretty good glimpse into how radio shows work and cute turtles.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Furnaceface posted:

Bakarina or Hamefura or whatever they decided to call it, the show about a girl who reincarnates into the villain character of her favorite dating game and goes to various idiotic lengths to avoid all the routes where her character would normally be killed. Although perhaps not really "surprisingly good", because the original source is highly acclaimed so it was expected.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember this face:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Wave, Listen to Me! is easily the best anime this season and Hamefura is very good too, so I'll recommend Brand New Animal as a great dose of Trigger bombastic and zany action, and is a whole lot of fun. For a more low key affair, Sing Yesterday to Me is a great examination of mid 20s listlessness, unrequited love and moving on from the past.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BNA and Hamefura were expected to be massive hits though.

Ill check out Wave and Sing Yesterday to Me.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Furnaceface posted:

BNA and Hamefura were expected to be massive hits though.

I still find it kind of hard to gauge the impact of any given Netflix anime that doesn't drop all the episodes at the same time as the Japanese TV broadcast begins because conversation is so fractured. I'm sure that relatively speaking stuff on their gets better numbers than it does on any of the other streaming services in terms of sheer subscriber base, but it's hard to tell how many of those people notice or care about what goes up.

also they suck loving poo poo at signs which depending on the show can be a real ball grater

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Netflix is just completely incompetent with their anime subs as a whole. Just about every Netflix anime I've seen, you're better off with the dub.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OnimaruXLR posted:

I still find it kind of hard to gauge the impact of any given Netflix anime that doesn't drop all the episodes at the same time as the Japanese TV broadcast begins because conversation is so fractured

The only one I've seen them do that with is Violet Evergarden because the whole thing was finished before it aired.

EDIT: \/ they possibly could but they do have their restriction of wanting to release in as many countries as possible simultaneously which affects translation as much as dubbing.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 18, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering that they have a couple shows they do weekly, and some stuff having certain dubs delayed due to the covid means they can add that stuff later, so there's no real reason for them not to simulcast other than holding on to their misguided binge model of releases.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It makes no sense too as it just forces Netflx to need more content and spend more money and growth is going to stall out and contract at some point

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Let streaming services fracture themselves to death going after the same audience, download everything

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It makes no sense too as it just forces Netflx to need more content and spend more money and growth is going to stall out and contract at some point

lol yeah Netflix's business model is super unsustainable

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

The only one I've seen them do that with is Violet Evergarden because the whole thing was finished before it aired.

iirc that one still got netflix jailed in the US while it released weekly in other countries. it's entirely a marketing decision, not a logistical one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's a weird marketing decision to stick with the binge model for anime, considering Netflix are capable of releasing shows as weeklies. And if Netflix did even a modicum of market research, surely they'd realize that a sizeable chunk of their audience wants a weekly model.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

free the post

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

It's a weird marketing decision to stick with the binge model for anime, considering Netflix are capable of releasing shows as weeklies. And if Netflix did even a modicum of market research, surely they'd realize that a sizeable chunk of their audience wants a weekly model.
Netflix doesn't do market research, at least not atomized enough to treat different shows with any degree of individual care. They got where they are entirely on being the first streaming platform convenient enough for normal people to subscribe. They didn't get here by being smart. Hence everyone being able to break off and try to steal their lunch.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Trying is the key word when Netflix's market capitalization is frankly obscene. Its worth more than Disney

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

OnimaruXLR posted:

I still find it kind of hard to gauge the impact of any given Netflix anime that doesn't drop all the episodes at the same time as the Japanese TV broadcast begins because conversation is so fractured. I'm sure that relatively speaking stuff on their gets better numbers than it does on any of the other streaming services in terms of sheer subscriber base, but it's hard to tell how many of those people notice or care about what goes up.

also they suck loving poo poo at signs which depending on the show can be a real ball grater

I remember one episode of Devilman Crybaby had an entire scene that was pointless because they didn't bother translating any of the texts/forum posts/social media posts.

I think a lot of these streaming companies never bothered implementing locational subs. I know shows on Amazon also are incapable of this.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

even funimation doesn't have that functionality still

they translate them at least but they get stacked with the subs at the bottom making everything impossible to follow

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Hidive made good use of them though

(and then didn't bother to subtitle the songs in Revue Starlight, which is a musical)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

sinky posted:

Hidive made good use of them though

(and then didn't bother to subtitle the songs in Revue Starlight, which is a musical)

99% chance that the problem there is a licensing/copyright issue, not lazy translators. (Same for untranslated opening/ending songs)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah their revue subs were awful but the songs werent their fault

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, but if it's complete poo poo they shouldn't be charging money for it (:capitalism:)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

sinky posted:

Yeah, but if it's complete poo poo they shouldn't be charging money for it (:capitalism:)
I mean, would you prefer Revue Starlight wasn't made available in the West at all? Because "aired without subtitled songs" and "not aired" seem to be the two options. And they obviously aren't going to just put it up for free.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, songs are a fuckin' bitch to license and translate in a timely manner since the copyrights for them are usually held outside the production committee, which is why official subs don't usually translate OPs and EDs.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Elephant Parade posted:

I mean, would you prefer Revue Starlight wasn't made available in the West at all? Because "aired without subtitled songs" and "not aired" seem to be the two options. And they obviously aren't going to just put it up for free.

Yes, if fansubbers can put out a better release 2 days before Hidive can they should either not bother or try harder.

Not that it matters now, they have a dub for it :v:

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

sinky posted:

Yes, if fansubbers can put out a better release 2 days before Hidive can they should either not bother or try harder.

Not that it matters now, they have a dub for it :v:
not everyone knows about or is willing to watch fansubs. official releases have the potential to broaden the audience. obviously I agree thst they should've put out better subs, but the solution is for them to do that, not for official subs to cease altogether

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also they did actually go back and subtitle the songs a couple weeks later.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hidive just needs to fire their one infamously bad translator

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dorohedoro still isnt up on Canadian Netflix.

I mean really most of the anime Netflix has licensed is missing from ours, but that and the second half of Saiki K are the two I wanted to watch the most.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dorohedoro's not going up until the 28th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It sounds like the Revue Starlight problem is the Music Industry tbh. (which is still :capitalism:)