Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I know it's not going to be done for a long while (if ever) but man I can't wait for Fallout 4; New Vegas to be released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Mnh9WIDCo

Not as good as Yuri Lowenthal's deranged performance, but then again, who is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What I do hope for with the re-recorded voices is that someone redoes a lot of Shane "my script is just one run on sentence" Johnson's lines. I swear that guy must have recorded all of his lines in an afternoon, because Oscar Velasco and Manny Vargas do not stop for breath, ever.

Kay Kyser or Marty Robbins, do your spurs jingle jangle jingle or do you have a big iron on your hip? I'm at a loss for which one I find more catchy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Re: "Why can't they just use the old VA," this is the official response:

quote:

Q: "Can't you guys just do what TTW did with their audio?"

A: No. Tale of Two Wastelands copies the archive files from Fallout 3 into the Fallout: New Vegas install directory. From there, the game engine can natively read the Gamebryo-era Bethesda archive files (.bsa files,) and use the data contained within without any other work needed. This is not the case with Fallout 4. The Creation Engine uses a new version of the Bethesda archive file (.ba2 files,) which have a different data structure. These are an improvement over the older archive files, but as a result of the changeover the engine no longer has support for legacy Bethesda archives. This means that if F4NV wanted to use the voiceovers from Fallout: New Vegas in F4NV, they would need to be extracted from the New Vegas archives and then repackaged in the newer format so that the engine could use them. This violates the EULAs for both Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4, and is considered to constitute piracy. As a result, it is not an option for F4NV.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I know it's not going to be done for a long while (if ever) but man I can't wait for Fallout 4; New Vegas to be released.

I've yet to play Fallout 4. Is that just how faces work there, never moving beyond lip-sync random lip flapping?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm very happy they made sure to accurately replicate the voice file fuckup on his goodbye.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Re: "Why can't they just use the old VA," this is the official response:
It's cool that they want to play it save. But EULAs are nonsense. There are a metric assload of modding tools around that violate the EULA. Bethesda's own GECK violates the EULA. And technically TTW's installer does actually violate FO3's EULA.
Also what they're describing as piracy, isn't piracy. If it was, then basic modding would be piracy. If you don't redistribute files, you're good.

:shrug: They want to go with new audio, it's their choice.
But when they release their mod, someone can release a tool that imports the audio files from your local New Vegas installation and Bethesda will just ignore it.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think it's less "what constitutes actual piracy" and more "how much money can we pay lawyers to show it's not piracy" and i'm guessing that second answer is very close to zero

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just wait for somebody to make a companion mod and release it into the ether via a MEGA download or something. Then you'll get your OG voicepack.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kay Kyser or Marty Robbins, do your spurs jingle jangle jingle or do you have a big iron on your hip? I'm at a loss for which one I find more catchy.

I think, for me, it's jingling and jangling spurs as it has a more cheerful tone and lyrics.

I like Big Iron playing when I'm hauling rear end to a new town or unexplored location.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I've yet to play Fallout 4. Is that just how faces work there, never moving beyond lip-sync random lip flapping?

More or less. A few select characters got more involved animations and facial animations for specific story sequences, but even those characters will not emote very much for most conversations.

Although I will say that I think characters can emote more than in that conversation and they might not have set that up yet.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In F3/F:NV, each node of conversation has an emotion state with a strength from 0-100. If it's not set, you just get blank expressions with procedural lip flap. I'm not sure how it works in F4.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Xander77 posted:

You can absolutely get facial nuance and expression in FO4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IPNPn1kruk Just click through that in a few places and it's pretty clear.

FO4 characters are definitely less wooden than FO3/NV in terms of both facial and body expression during conversation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Piper is specifically the one character where they did some motion capture animation for her cut scenes, and put some care in animating her conversations as well. But even she is wooden in most of her dialogue, and so is literally every single other character in the whole game. It's not as bad as FO3 / NV, but that isn't exactly high praise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rope kid posted:

In F3/F:NV, each node of conversation has an emotion state with a strength from 0-100. If it's not set, you just get blank expressions with procedural lip flap. I'm not sure how it works in F4.

I have to give props, Follows Chalk really does look like he's chewing on his words when he struggles to enunciate properly in English. If that was intentional, good work. If it was a result of the emotion state node or the overall jankiness of the engine, well, it still works

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That F4:NV clip definitely shows a conversation without any of the emotional state data for each line added in yet

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

steinrokkan posted:

Piper is specifically the one character where they did some motion capture animation for her cut scenes, and put some care in animating her conversations as well. But even she is wooden in most of her dialogue, and so is literally every single other character in the whole game. It's not as bad as FO3 / NV, but that isn't exactly high praise.
Nick Valentine at least has an excuse. I honestly felt like the engine handled his face pretty well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rope kid posted:

Does the emotion state vary depending on your faction alignment and whether the NPC likes you, or is it fixed for each snippet of conversation?

Fallout 4 handles real-time conversation and even three-person conversations well, but it can be jarring if the Sole Survivor keeps changing the topic and an NPC's mood keeps changing with it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's purely based on the node settings. It doesn't deal well with non-sequitur shifts in the conversation, but that's more of a problem with the conversation structure than the tech.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not canon; didn't blow his head off.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Broken Box posted:

Not canon; didn't blow his head off.

Look it this guy, not stalking him from a distance, watching him slowly get stung to death by radscorpions.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unfun fact: that guy's model was someone who won a contest on the Obsidian forums, and iirc, has since died

When they put me in PoE2 I left explicit instructions to let me be easily murdered, but they declined and stuck me in Sayuka. They had experience with that sort of thing and I deferred to their wisdom.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Geez. That makes me feel a little better about never actually killing him, now (though even personally wiping out every radscorp within 20 miles only delays things so long). I know I'm in the distinct minority, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You rather pointedly don't get XP for killing him and doing so is, of course, classic Fallout black humor rather than lolrandom murder hobo stuff. I want to say he was okay with how it all turned out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

You rather pointedly don't get XP for killing him and doing so is, of course, classic Fallout black humor rather than lolrandom murder hobo stuff. I want to say he was okay with how it all turned out.

do you get karma for killng a powder ganger?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't think so. You also gain karma for freeing the enslaved gangers in the western legion encampment.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think so. You also gain karma for freeing the enslaved gangers in the western legion encampment.

You gain karma for freeing them from a life of servitude under Caesar and denying the Legion salve labor.

You also gain karma for killing them and removing violent criminals from the wasteland.

win, win.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

This pandemic was a fitting time to revisit Fallout 4, become overwhelmed with regret and reinstall New Vegas.

There's a mod that reinstates The Strip to the original size rather than cut up in to segments. Cranking up the distance sliders for full effect, the only conflict was my emotions.

To squeeze out a few extra frames per second and stop it from becoming a slideshow, there are a few extra mods that made a surprising difference. But the most egregious gameplay killer was a bug causing slowdown when talking to NPCs and the game would choose the wrong graphics DLL (Nvidia for an Ati card and vice-versa), as usual there's a mod.

After the end credits rolled (and siding with strongman Mr House) the game crashed to desktop, which seemed like a fitting end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And now that you've reached the end, it's time to embrace the New Vegas Strip in all its glory and begin again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Had my first taste of prickly pear fruit juice today. It was amazing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rinkles posted:

Had my first taste of prickly pear fruit juice today. It was amazing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How did it taste like? Sweet, sour, let those of us far from the source(s) live vicariously through you!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a bit like... mangosteen...

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've had actual prickly pear, and it was kinda dry and powdery as fruits go, like a dried out watermelon with weaker flavor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does New Vegas calculate overall DPS as well as single shot damage when determining what weapon a companion will equip? One of the mods I'm running makes all pistols fire as fast as you can click, which turns Arcade's plasma defender into an insane DPS machine and when I try to give him a bigger laser gun he won't equip it even if I give him ammo.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Quite possibly. I seem to recall this was an issue once, when Cass had gotten her hands on an assault carbine that could (briefly) out-damage even the hunting shotgun I'd given her.

I'm not sure exactly what the calculation may be, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unfun fact: that guy's model was someone who won a contest on the Obsidian forums, and iirc, has since died

When they put me in PoE2 I left explicit instructions to let me be easily murdered, but they declined and stuck me in Sayuka. They had experience with that sort of thing and I deferred to their wisdom.
Did he die sometime this year? Because the goon in question was posting in 2019.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The guy I’m thinking of died at least five years ago, so I must have been mistaken

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does New Vegas calculate overall DPS as well as single shot damage when determining what weapon a companion will equip? One of the mods I'm running makes all pistols fire as fast as you can click, which turns Arcade's plasma defender into an insane DPS machine and when I try to give him a bigger laser gun he won't equip it even if I give him ammo.

It might not be that; when I was playing recently I had the same issue with Arcade, gave him a modded plasma rifle and he preferred his defender even though it was worse. Then, to test, I gave him a gatling laser and plasma caster and he still used the defender. Well, he'd shoot one or two shots from any of the three guns then immediately switch back to his own gun and never use the others again.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've heard people complaining about Arcade only using his Plasma Defender since the game came out, and even after playing in a heavily modded game only a few months ago I noticed the same thing. That gun must be nuts, and judging by all the glowing melted piles of former enemies I'm inclined to believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I think you can remove it from his inventory via opening console, clicking him, and then
Removeitem 174094