Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mllaneza posted:

More likely it's low-level animators who don't have the equipment at home to do their work. Your VA has an agent and a career, it's on them to have a good mic and recording space if they're WFH. A junior animator would need a good monitor, mid-range PC, and probably a good tablet to WFH.

And no, a lot of companies are run by people who aren't competent enough to come up with "box up their workstation at the studio and send it to them". And of those companies that manage it, not all of those systems get set up right at home by artists.

That good mic and recording space is usually at the studio and that doesn't help for mob or minor voice stuff who may not be prominent enough to have their agent get them a space to do that. Even if the VAs did WFH, it loops back around to the same issues animators would have for the sound engineers which assumes that they have a set up that works as opposed to the recording studio.

It's basically theoretically hosed at multiple levels depend on what they can and can't do at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Blaise330 posted:

Eh I don't care about reviving or replacing anyone. We won't get Scarecrow back so what's even the point :(

yeah :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Actors who do a lot of VA work like Patrick Warburton often set up recording studios in their houses. Even doing VA work in a studio, there's glass between the speaker and the tech. Just wipe stuff down.

The guy who says "let's do that again" fifty-seven times can still do that from home with no pants on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Actors who do a lot of VA work like Patrick Warburton often set up recording studios in their houses. Even doing VA work in a studio, there's glass between the speaker and the tech. Just wipe stuff down.

The guy who says "let's do that again" fifty-seven times can still do that from home with no pants on.

You're seeing this with a lot of these remote interviews and stuff. Some people have high quality mics and a rig so it sounds like they are right next to the people in the room, other people sound like they're using a Xbox Headset from 2008.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, they got a 26 episode order and decided to split it into two seasons.

I know I'm being pedantic, but they got a two season order of 26 episodes total, not 26 episodes arbitrarily split into two seasons.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Uhh, I'm too lazy to dig up a source but I think the original order was 26 episodes and the showrunners decided to split it into two seasons for the sake of pacing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I have never heard of anime VAs have fancy set ups like that though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

They don't in Japan because there's a whole "you work at work, you relax at home" culture there where the bosses want to have oversight and VAs often record in groups at the studio.

Plus there's the whole thing with most Japanese homes being tiny affairs compared to Western homes. No room to really setup a personal studio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The small amount of clips I saw for Harley Quinn made me assume it was like a lot of the DC Animated stuff which always seemed to be trying too hard to be edgy and "adult" without really grasping what that actually meant. I was very pleasantly surprised when I finally watched the show that it's not just good for a DC animated show, it's just flat out a good show. Harley and her crew rule a whole lot, and her and Ivy's supportive friendship is the best.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EDIT: Spoilers

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Jerusalem posted:

The small amount of clips I saw for Harley Quinn made me assume it was like a lot of the DC Animated stuff which always seemed to be trying too hard to be edgy and "adult" without really grasping what that actually meant. I was very pleasantly surprised when I finally watched the show that it's not just good for a DC animated show, it's just flat out a good show. Harley and her crew rule a whole lot, and her and Ivy's supportive friendship is the best.

It's just not all grimdark, its downright cute and adorable at times. King Shark is such a sweethart.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xelkelvos posted:

Steve Blum does. Cowboy Bebop did a medley performance of The Real Folk Blues during the quarantine and he closed it out with a thanks to the fans specifically from the recording closet in his home.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

A bunch of anime's been delayed because of Covid so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. There's not a specifically listed reason why, but my personal guess is inability to do VA stuff.

It's apparently mostly a combination of the VAs (for reasons I stated above) and Foley work. Foley work requires both a very good recording setup and a workshop of items used to reproduce sounds. It's not feasible to do from home.

EDIT: That and a lot of the inbetween animating companies being located in South Korea and China where the heaviest shutdowns have been enforced.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's apparently mostly a combination of the VAs (for reasons I stated above) and Foley work. Foley work requires both a very good recording setup and a workshop of items used to reproduce sounds. It's not feasible to do from home.

EDIT: That and a lot of the inbetween animating companies being located in South Korea and China where the heaviest shutdowns have been enforced.

Oh yeah, thinking about it further, In-betweens would also need a lot of data work for a job that's effectively the lowest on the totem pole, so even if they could send them digitally, they definitely don't have the gear to do any animation.

Bruceski posted:

Steve Blum does. Cowboy Bebop did a medley performance of The Real Folk Blues during the quarantine and he closed it out with a thanks to the fans specifically from the recording closet in his home.

What does an American VA have to do with delays on anime production?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xelkelvos posted:

What does an American VA have to do with delays on anime production?

He voices anime?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Bruceski posted:

He voices anime?

Yeah, but the conversation was about Japanese VAs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

He voices anime?

A dub isn't needed for an anime to be released.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The irony being the dubs are easier to produce currently since a lot of American VAs work remotely.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
What a time to be alive and to find the second season of Harley Quinn has been released and it was weeks ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blaise330 posted:

It's just not all grimdark, its downright cute and adorable at times. King Shark is such a sweethart.

I don't know why it made me laugh as much as it did, but him quietly taking a seat in the audience and then getting over-excited and having to be calmed down during the Tawny show revealing Robin lied about being Harley's nemesis just killed me.

The fact that it seems like the show has no issue with knocking over some sacred cows and actually changing up the status quo is also very refreshing. Harley killing Penguin (early season 2 spoilers since OscarDiggs just mentioned they were getting started) genuinely shocked me since I expected some last minute getaway or other bullshit to keep him around for future episodes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Stargirl owns, pass it on.

Unapologetically cheesy and sweet. Definite whiplash considering I just got through Amazon' s The Boys and Starlight on that show is the small-town blonde with a heart of gold... and here's the de-Ennis'd, YA version of her story.

That's not the best comparison, though. I enjoyed the Stargirl-era JSA comics and this is basically live-action JSA with her at the center, which is fine and dandy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is the only official way to watch the Harley Quinn show through DC's streaming service?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harley Quinn airs on Sunday nights on Syfy at 11pm EST. Started May 3, so if you have the channel you can easily catch up.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Stargirl was alright. It kept a brisk pace which I appreciated. Cheesy yes but fun.

They're setting up some sort of her father was actually one of the villains that Christmas Eve twist right?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 19, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Harley Quinn airs on Sunday nights on Syfy at 11pm EST. Started May 3, so if you have the channel you can easily catch up.

is this version censored?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

scary ghost dog posted:

is this version censored?

I mean it'd kind of have to be. Syfy goes for it with minor curse words but dropping F-bombs eight times a show (but no more) is probably a no go.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 19, 2020

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I mean it'd kind of have to be. Syfy goes for it with minor curse words but dropping F-bombs eight times a show (but no more) is probably a no go.

It's not like Happy, Blood Drive or The Magicians aired on Syfy...

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Is DC Universe broken? No matter what I click it takes me to the "Join Now" page (https://www.dcuniverse.com/join/ ), even if I already have an account. Hell, clicking on the "Join Now" or "7-Day Trial" buttons there just reload the page, I can't get anywhere else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

You've not watched Syfy in a while, eh

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hypocrisy posted:

They're setting up some sort of her father was actually one of the villains that Christmas Eve twist right?
The whole issue seems pretty weird so far because Starman didn't seem to be disguised at all. If he went around without a mask, presumably he'd also get recognised in public and Courtney's mum would definitely have known who he was - as would anyone else who wanted to know.

It's also not clear what the current situation is with regard to super-powered people. Obviously some of those old supervillains are still around, but maybe not using their powers for some reason? It certainly felt like we're supposed to infer that there have been no other super heroes since the JSA, and obviously it's not a world under the ruthless thrall of a coalition of unopposed supervillains.

And I'm not sure exactly what tone they're going for, because bits of it seemed to be leaning way more toward the Powerless/The Tick style of open parody, but other bits seemed to be played pretty much straight. But that's probably just one of those things where the first episode is the writers figuring stuff out.

The show is pretty good so far though. Not Harley Quinn good, but quite possibly the second-best DC Universe show so far. Possibly the second-best DCCW show too (behind LoT).

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Stargirl is not for me, because they showed their hand in the first episode and very clearly telegraphed that they're not interested in anything but clichéd characters and motw stand-alone episodes with only a light dusting of a seasonal arc.

All power to you if you enjoy that kind of show, but I need something more character developy and with a lot more sense of wonder (kind of strange a show about literal superheroes is so lacking in that).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Open Source Idiom posted:

You've not watched Syfy in a while, eh

I have literally only watched Vagrant Queen so probably not! :haw:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ovenmaster posted:

Stargirl is not for me, because they showed their hand in the first episode and very clearly telegraphed that they're not interested in anything but clichéd characters and motw stand-alone episodes with only a light dusting of a seasonal arc.

All power to you if you enjoy that kind of show, but I need something more character developy and with a lot more sense of wonder (kind of strange a show about literal superheroes is so lacking in that).

I haven't watched Stargirl or plan to but, I mean, pilots are often pretty rough. I wouldn't write off anything that's not absolutely dire until they're midway into their first season.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

yeah the adds on Facebook for it are awful, then a few clips popped up on my mindless youtube feed and I thought "wtf, this is actually pretty funny"

e: I know it's probably the most generic possible point to make but I love how much they mock Tom Hardy's Bane

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Bane reminds me of the bad guy from The Good Place - no matter what he says it always comes across as menacing.

I WANT YOU TO THRIVE FOR ALL ETERNITY

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ovenmaster posted:

Uhh, I dunno about that one. Got a strong sense that it'll be like all the other DC universe shows, where it's both serialised and with a strong sense of the individual episode.

(If you want some more evidence of this, there's the cliffhanger ending and the fact that the show has a massive cast, most of whom have maybe three lines in the pilot. It's going to be heavily seralised.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Omg this version of MmmBop. Also lol at that Action Movers logo

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Stargirl was really fun, I can't wait to see where the season goes.

I have a huge love for the mid 2000s JSA comic and this felt so much like that, all the villains we saw and the reverence that Pat had for the JSA.

Here's hoping that the JSA isn't totally dead, because my own pet theory is that:

the shadowy black hand was from The Shade, and didn't actually kill anybody, just teleported them away

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Saw the DC Showcase with Adam Strange; it wasn't the clean cut explorer version, but seems to be adapted from the Black Label series; now he's the town drunk in some alien mining colony populated by fellow Earthmen.

They seem to imply that the Zeta Beam now just caroms randomly through the galaxy like a giant pinball game, and he still needs to jump into it to travel, and if he stays long enough in one spot it will eventually come back to him.

But at one point it takes him away from Rann by homing in on him and dumps him on mining planet?!

It gets a meh rating from me just because it feels inconsistent, not much of a teaser and would have been better as a mini-series, shamelessly steals the gory bug concept from Starship Troopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Stargirl was fine. I'm not really a fan of the down home small town stuff, and the premise seems a bit thin they moved to Cornhole Nebraska because the people who killed the JSA relocated there? That can support maybe a season, but it's gonna end up like one of those bad CWDC seasons where the villain keeps getting away because the heroes have to talk out their issues rather than you know, securing the mass murdering super powered being

Also when did Zatan become a villain? I assume that's who the magician at the mansion was. Actually there's something that can get me really into the show, Zatana becoming her bfff