Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My favorite Pegg Trek moment was when he was doing an interview and was like "oh don't worry Tarantino is a true Trekkie he's not making Pulp Fiction in Space" and then a couple days later Tarantino did an interview where he was like "lol I'm absolutely loving making Pulp Fiction in Space"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
They could have very different ideas of what being "pulp fiction" is. Like, Pegg could have been saying were not getting a trek with gimpsuits, dancing and heroin overdoses, while Tarantino could merely be confirming he would be following his usual MO of making a violent genre pastiche with obscure references.

The world of TOS is pretty dark and violent, yet there is levity and some groovy 60's and 70's visuals. I think it would be a good match.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

They could have very different ideas of what being "pulp fiction" is. Like, Pegg could have been saying were not getting a trek with gimpsuits, dancing and heroin overdoses, while Tarantino is merely confirming he would be following his usual MO of making a violent genre pastiche with obscure references.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That could be fun too. If anything it would be closer to Roddenberrys vision than anything in nu-trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Beyond was co-written by Simon Pegg, so it's more nerdy and interesting than the other Abrams Treks
The fact that a major plot point involves stuff from Enterprise, yeah I would say so

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the movie industry has fundamentally changed since the 80s so that movies are much more secure investments for big companies to pump money into and get reliable profits out of, so it's almost impossible for a big name IP to get a weird director with weird ideas.

But maybe that's just my pessimism talking.

Anyhow;
https://twitter.com/chrisfulkerson/status/1261806343175860224

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

One last thing about the whole warp speed thing.. in By Any Other Name, its mentioned that the Kelvins were able to modify the Enterprise warp engines so that it would reach the Andromeda Galaxy in only three hundred years. And it's currently 2.53 MILLION light years away!

I hate how this got thrown away into the memory hole, because this implies that the Enterprise should have been able to do this for every episode after.

The Kelvins literally made it the fastest ship in the galaxy!

I mean did Scotty just go in and trash all their modifications without at least committing what they did to memory so he can build a Warp 50 shuttlecraft?

I remember trying to do some napkin math based on pre-TNG warp calculations but gave up when I figured souped up Enterprise could get to the Delta Quadrant in less than 10 years..

At that speed they wouldn't need some dopey mushroom drive to get around and the Enterprise would win battles by being instantly 10 light years away from where the disruptors / torpedos were aimed.

Also, Star Fleet plans its invasion of the Dominion, Magellanic Clouds and all the dwarf satellite galaxies just as a warm up..

McSpanky posted:

People joke about this a lot but I actually would like to think that the Federation is smart enough to keep technologies that would radically alter/destabilize society under wraps and revisit them in the future, or at least gradually introduce them instead of just being like "yeah we can cross the galaxy in ten years now, shuttles can fly through stars, android immortality is possible and there are multiple time travel methods of varying reliability and accuracy, go nuts".

Fake edit: did some math for funsies, under the TOS "warp factor = cube of the velocity in c" system the Kelvan upgrades equaled approximately warp 20.6.

Thinking too deeply about the speed of ships in Trek doesn't make sense so it's largely best to ignore it.

For example running the numbers on that upgraded Kelvan warp drive gives a speed of 1 light year an hour, still much slower than we have seen ships do at various points in the show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Is it better or worse at this than Stargate Universe, because we're about 7 episodes into this and it feels like about 3 episodes worth of actual content, with the rest of it taken up by incompetent people sniping at each other while the whole production is being carried by Robert Carlyle.

I don't have anywhere else to post this update, but SGU is getting really good after the aliens start chasing them. I didn't realize how much I was on the fence with it until now, but after I think about episode 13 it feels like it suddenly found its footing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

More TOS-

-The Apple: This is an episode that feels like several earlier TOS episodes shoved into a blender. It has the society controlled by a computer (seen before in Return of the Archons), a problem that requires using the Enterprise’s phasers from orbit (Who Mourns for Adonais?), and a society that is idyllic but stagnant (This Side of Paradise). It’s also worse than those three. It also ends very abruptly considering that Kirk just completely upends this planet’s belief system and is like ‘tough poo poo, learn to do things yourself’.
-Mirror, Mirror (rewatch): Still as good as before, it really keeps the tension up for most of the episode and still manages to do a decent amount of world building. Mirror Spock feels different but still similar to Prime Spock and you can sense his frustration with the status quo moving to a breaking point.
-The Doomsday Machine (rewatch): Probably one of my favorites, up there with Balance of Terror. The story is tight and there is almost no downtime whatsoever. One of the few times in TOS where two ships are working together to solve a problem. It feels a lot like a TNG episode in a lot of ways.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm not exactly hating the characters in ENT like I was before, they're mostly still unlikable but some of them have certainly gotten enough writing that I find them interesting. Reed and T'Pol chief among "interesting but unlikable" and Hoshi and Tripp among "likeable but uninteresting." I still really just wish that anyone else was talking Phlox and Archer's spots, and also does Mayweather exist anymore??
Temporal Cold War stuff is starting to actually heat up and I'm actually enjoying it. I liked the season 1 finale twoparter and so far the season 2 episodes have been generally much better written than season 1 stuff. Hell, I didn't even mind "Night In Sickbay" that much. Archer has gotten more than enough screentime but I did like getting a microscope focused in on his emotions that aren't "wow arent humans neat" and "pissy because the vulcans dont trust him". I don't understand why everyone thought he was so whiny in that episode? He has every loving right to be as upset as he is. The aliens didn't care about the health of the people going to their planet, which meant that Archer brought his dog (which they were forewarned of) and Porthos ended up offending the easily offended aliens again in a way that would not have happened if they'd actually given a poo poo. Their carelessness got their sacred trees defiled and almost killed a dog and they're getting pissy because the captain isn't jetlagging himself for no reason. God what awful characters.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
You don't bring your loving dog on a diplomatic mission, though! Why the hell did Archer think that was a good idea anywhere, let alone on the planet of the really touchy people?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Beyond was co-written by Simon Pegg, so it's more nerdy and interesting than the other Abrams Treks

also he tapped into the unlimited energy of trek nerds in a safe, controllable way, by asking them specific lore questions like "what is a personal gift Uhura could give Spock which could plausibly be detectable from orbit"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

curiousTerminal posted:

also does Mayweather exist anymore??

Nope.

Edit: That's not to say he's been stuffed in a locker or anything, it's just that the writers very quickly realized that they had absolutely nothing for him to do so there are several episodes where he literally gets like two lines of dialogue.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Angry Salami posted:

You don't bring your loving dog on a diplomatic mission, though! Why the hell did Archer think that was a good idea anywhere, let alone on the planet of the really touchy people?

Oh yeah it's loving stupid but he did take proper precuations for his stupid decision. Presumably he explained what this animal was when he sent the genetics over and got given the go-ahead. These assholes knew what Porthos is and still were like "please yes bring your excretion machine to our planet oh no he excreted

Timby posted:

Nope.

Edit: That's not to say he's been stuffed in a locker or anything, it's just that the writers very quickly realized that they had absolutely nothing for him to do so there are several episodes where he literally gets like two lines of dialogue.

I don't know why they went through such an effort to get him out of the Roxann Dawson computer room. He wasn't much less interesting as a fake corpse than he was as a living corpse.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I don't have anywhere else to post this update, but SGU is getting really good after the aliens start chasing them. I didn't realize how much I was on the fence with it until now, but after I think about episode 13 it feels like it suddenly found its footing.

We do have a Stargate thread that's still active from time to time. A few people in there would probably be interested in first-time impressions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3414536

SGU got better and getter as it went on, season 2 brings in some cool concepts that other shows would have as a one episode reset button thing and really runs with them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Nope.

I swear to god there are a few episodes where he doesn’t even have any lines, but my memory could be failing me on that one.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I grew up with cats and dogs and poo poo and I always thought it was supremely hosed that Archer let his dog run out of the shuttlepod like it was his loving backyard when they landed on their first alien world

you don't know what's behind those rocks there could be klingons or some poo poo you don't loving you poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

I swear to god there are a few episodes where he doesn’t even have any lines, but my memory could be failing me on that one.

Your memory is accurate. I just did a re-run of the show a few months ago, not long after I got laid off, and he indeed does not appear in several episodes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh hey, RLM's Plinkett review of Picard is up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

-The Apple: This is an episode that feels like several earlier TOS episodes shoved into a blender. It has the society controlled by a computer (seen before in Return of the Archons), a problem that requires using the Enterprise’s phasers from orbit (Who Mourns for Adonais?), and a society that is idyllic but stagnant (This Side of Paradise). It’s also worse than those three. It also ends very abruptly considering that Kirk just completely upends this planet’s belief system and is like ‘tough poo poo, learn to do things yourself’.

Coincidentally we just watched the TNG episode "The Masterpiece Society" and one thought I had was that it's basically a better version of "The Apple". The people in the biosphere pretty much know what's up, and they have some valid points about their way of life, but it's also undeniably left them unprepared for this giant flying thing that's about to hit them. Meanwhile there's no way for the crew to intervene without threatening their perfect balance. It's a much more nuanced version of the concept. (That society is also kind of like a parody of what people have accused TNG as a whole of being like.)

Of course, I did wonder how they could possibly deal with accidental deaths, if losing one person really would ruin their whole gene pool. Are they so perfect that they never fall down the stairs or whatever?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Coincidentally we just watched the TNG episode "The Masterpiece Society" and one thought I had was that it's basically a better version of "The Apple". The people in the biosphere pretty much know what's up, and they have some valid points about their way of life, but it's also undeniably left them unprepared for this giant flying thing that's about to hit them. Meanwhile there's no way for the crew to intervene without threatening their perfect balance. It's a much more nuanced version of the concept. (That society is also kind of like a parody of what people have accused TNG as a whole of being like.)

Of course, I did wonder how they could possibly deal with accidental deaths, if losing one person really would ruin their whole gene pool. Are they so perfect that they never fall down the stairs or whatever?
It never made a lot of sense to me. Someone had to have died accidentally in the hundreds of years they were on the planet. I don’t like that episode at all for no other reason than the leaders of the society are incredibly insufferable and the Troi/society lesser romance feels very forced

I’m also pretty sure that somehow Picard never seems concerned with the fact that this is basically an entire society of Augments and against what the Federation stands for. He gets upset on the planet where there are like 6 genetically different people and they survive with cloning. I get that it’s a different society but he never really comments on it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the movie industry has fundamentally changed since the 80s so that movies are much more secure investments for big companies to pump money into and get reliable profits out of, so it's almost impossible for a big name IP to get a weird director with weird ideas.

But maybe that's just my pessimism talking.

Anyhow;
https://twitter.com/chrisfulkerson/status/1261806343175860224

This flies in the face of Taika Waititi getting Thor and Rian Johnson getting Star Wars.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The dialog in the episode explicitly addresses those issues and says there's enough genetic diversity to endure an occasional untimely death, just not a mass exodus of people.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m also pretty sure that somehow Picard never seems concerned with the fact that this is basically an entire society of Augments and against what the Federation stands for. He gets upset on the planet where there are like 6 genetically different people and they survive with cloning. I get that it’s a different society but he never really comments on it.

This is before the genetic engineering=bad thing was introduced. That doesn't really happen until DS9, when they change Khan et al from being eugenically bred supermen to genetically altered supermen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just finished the Picard Plinkett review. It's definitely not the best thing RLM has put out, and at times they kinda miss the forest for the trees (though they're spot on about 80% of it). But the last fifteen minutes or so are just a perfect encapsulation of what Star Trek should be and why Picard isn't it. And it kinda makes me really sad.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 19, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Epicurius posted:

This is before the genetic engineering=bad thing was introduced. That doesn't really happen until DS9, when they change Khan et al from being eugenically bred supermen to genetically altered supermen.

Yeah remember the season 2 episode with the scientists developing kids that have all kinds of mind powers and are physically flawless? And instead of being all "WTF you're making SUPERKHANS???" the crew is just like "huh that's pretty impressive, maybe we'll all be like that one day".

HD DAD posted:

There should've been a Mayweather version of the ep where Trip gets all hosed up and they have to clone him to save him, except no one really minds and at the end the clone goes completely apoplectic Tuvix on the bridge and nobody speaks up not because they're afraid of the captain's wrath or embarrassed because they want their 'real' friend back, but because they just don't give a poo poo

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 19, 2020

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Timby posted:

Your memory is accurate. I just did a re-run of the show a few months ago, not long after I got laid off, and he indeed does not appear in several episodes.

Surprisingly he’s only absent from 4 episodes (he’s a voice over in one of those episodes).

In comparison, Phlox is absent from 7 episodes - the most of any regular Enterprise cast member!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/ENT_main_character_non-appearances

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

About Mayweather: you know you've done hosed up when the most interesting version of the character is the Mirror Universe one. See also Sato, Hoshi.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Remember that Beauty and the Beast episode where Hoshi had to stay with that loser alien

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have absolutely nothing against Anthony Montgomery as an actor or person, but as Mayweather, his expressions are just so blank and empty that he falls into the uncanny valley to me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

We do have a Stargate thread that's still active from time to time. A few people in there would probably be interested in first-time impressions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3414536

SGU got better and getter as it went on, season 2 brings in some cool concepts that other shows would have as a one episode reset button thing and really runs with them.

I'll probably throw something together in there when I get a bit of time, then, thanks. I did see the thread a while ago but wanted to finish watching first without too much idea of where it was all going.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'll probably throw something together in there when I get a bit of time, then, thanks. I did see the thread a while ago but wanted to finish watching first without too much idea of where it was all going.

I'd love it if you did posts on Stargate after each episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Years and years and years ago, there was a haiku contest in this thread and someone wrote one about Mayweather.

I remember it included "Hush, child, speak no lines."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Some good news out of Goldsman regarding Strange New Worlds returning to a more episodic, optimistic format and tone.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zurui posted:

Some good news out of Goldsman regarding Strange New Worlds returning to a more episodic, optimistic format and tone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just… I just wanna watch Star Trek

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
[To the tune of 'Copacabana']

Oh Akiva
Akiva Goldsman
He wrote lovely scripts and he sold them
Oh Akiva
Akiva Go-o-o-oldsmaaan
At writing he's crap
But he keeps coming back
To Hollywood
Where garbage sells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

8one6 posted:

I'd love it if you did posts on Stargate after each episode.

Considering we're nearing the end of SGU season 1, and I therefore have probably 300+ episodes under my belt, you'll probably have to settle for a retrospective.