Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Deified Data posted:

I'm in the final week and getting these weird spawns in Mementos of way upscaled lesser demons that can't be negotiated with and have all their affinities reset to unknown. Are these guys here specifically to grind on?

I saw them too, and I'm almost certain yes, they're level 99 mechanically or at least close to that. I wonder if them showing up is related to the Mementos Progression stuff for the final palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Well I made an earnest attempt at beating Palace 5 boss on Hard but I've decided that it just isnt possible without power levelling. Maybe I would have done it if I got Harus level up but I didnt feel like doing that, so Merciless it was.

Also a question for palace 6: I've been doing okay without following a guide so far but I'm worried about finishing Akechis confidant before the cutoff date. Since August he just straight up refused to hang out with me anymore so hes stuck at rank 6. Is this normal or did I mess up?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nah I think that’s normal. You just need to hit 8 before the end of palace 6, and you’ll have a few opportunities to hang out again once that palace actually starts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You can't go past rank 6 with Akechi until September.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I... may have completely overprepared for Palace 7 by walking in with poo poo like Lucifer and Satan, but the last few bosses were cool. I liked the little changes Royal put in.

Now I just need to fuse Yoshitsune and coast to the new semester

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Well I made an earnest attempt at beating Palace 5 boss on Hard but I've decided that it just isnt possible without power levelling. Maybe I would have done it if I got Harus level up but I didnt feel like doing that, so Merciless it was.

Also a question for palace 6: I've been doing okay without following a guide so far but I'm worried about finishing Akechis confidant before the cutoff date. Since August he just straight up refused to hang out with me anymore so hes stuck at rank 6. Is this normal or did I mess up?

For plot reasons, 7 and 8 ranks are locked until you begin Palace 6. For more plot reasons, rank 8 is the last one you need to manually do, but it’s absolutely necessary for the third semester.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Has anyone seen a thing where - you have a Persona in the compendium, but they still show up unidentified in a Palace?

Like...I worked my way through all the Strength confidant fusions, one of which was a Bugs with Samarecarm. But then I got to a Palace and had a fight with a "Creepy Teddy Bear" or whatever Bugs is called before you recruit it. I have seen this more than once, with different personas.

Anyone else?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

HaB posted:

Has anyone seen a thing where - you have a Persona in the compendium, but they still show up unidentified in a Palace?

Like...I worked my way through all the Strength confidant fusions, one of which was a Bugs with Samarecarm. But then I got to a Palace and had a fight with a "Creepy Teddy Bear" or whatever Bugs is called before you recruit it. I have seen this more than once, with different personas.

Anyone else?

If it's a miniboss or other special encounter it will have unique stats and not be identified as whatever the normal persona is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Are you in the third semester? I think the jacked up versions of otherwise weaker Personas you find during that timeframe have different stats from their usual selves.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Of course Jack Frost gets buff during the dead of winter. Why wouldn't he?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Gruckles posted:

If it's a miniboss or other special encounter it will have unique stats and not be identified as whatever the normal persona is.

Yeah it wasn't that. The minibosses don't have their level displayed. These definitely did.

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you in the third semester? I think the jacked up versions of otherwise weaker Personas you find during that timeframe have different stats from their usual selves.

I am. Maybe this is it. Still seems weird, tho.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

HaB posted:

Yeah it wasn't that. The minibosses don't have their level displayed. These definitely did.

I am. Maybe this is it. Still seems weird, tho.

I didn't try to negotiate with any of the jacked up enemies because I was killing them way too fast to even think about figuring out how to get hold ups, I wonder what happens if you try to recruit one of those Personas?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChaosArgate posted:

I didn't try to negotiate with any of the jacked up enemies because I was killing them way too fast to even think about figuring out how to get hold ups, I wonder what happens if you try to recruit one of those Personas?

You can't. All enemies which aren't standardized personas cannot be negotiated (with the exception of a couple scripted minibosses). The buffed Bugs in the final palace? The Kali group and Jack group in the final Mementos area? You can't recruit them.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Geostomp posted:

For plot reasons, 7 and 8 ranks are locked until you begin Palace 6. For more plot reasons, rank 8 is the last one you need to manually do, but it’s absolutely necessary for the third semester.

Cool. I figured this was the case but the confidant guide I was reading didnt mention it so I got worried.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Goddamn that last boss was a hell of a send-off

Also if I had to guess probably another boss that Merciless mode made easier

Geostomp posted:

What does this mean? I did it and everything went as it should but what happens if you don't level Akechi?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Goddamn that last boss was a hell of a send-off

Also if I had to guess probably another boss that Merciless mode made easier

What does this mean? I did it and everything went as it should but what happens if you don't level Akechi?

the event that leads to the third semester doesn't trigger unless akechi and katsumi's links are as high as they can go prior to that point

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Does the game just end normally then?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yep. It'll be like you weren't playing royal at all.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Where’s the best place to find Hope Diamonds? I’m in the third semester and it’s the last persona I need for 100% compendium.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fit em all up in there posted:

Where’s the best place to find Hope Diamonds? I’m in the third semester and it’s the last persona I need for 100% compendium.

Pop a treasure trap and hang around the later quarter or so of original mementos.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

the event that leads to the third semester doesn't trigger unless akechi and katsumi's links are as high as they can go prior to that point

Akechi and Maruki. Kasumi isn't actually necessary. :eng101:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can also screw yourself out of the third semester if you pick the wrong dialogue options with Akechi, or if you lose the duel with him in Mementos. To be fair though you really have to be a bonehead to pick the wrong options.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I came to ask about this because even with lowering the difficulty to easy I can't beat this boss. It feels like a damage rate check and I'm barely failing on phase 4 with the green robots. If Haru had a turn after they stand up and not right before it, I'd be fine because I could hit them with their weaknesses and then baton pass. Unfortunately she's too fast. If I try to have Morgana or Makoto debuff on the defense boosted enemy's defense (instead of attacking with a ma- spell) then I won't have enough damage to even get it close. As soon as I do have them close they all run away and I have to start over. I can't get them to have status effects (only forget seems to hit with any regularity and a turn from anyone without a damage spell means not enough damage) so using technicals isn't an option. Pulling my hair out over this one.

Level 45.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TTBF posted:

I came to ask about this because even with lowering the difficulty to easy I can't beat this boss. It feels like a damage rate check and I'm barely failing on phase 4 with the green robots. If Haru had a turn after they stand up and not right before it, I'd be fine because I could hit them with their weaknesses and then baton pass. Unfortunately she's too fast. If I try to have Morgana or Makoto debuff on the defense boosted enemy's defense (instead of attacking with a ma- spell) then I won't have enough damage to even get it close. As soon as I do have them close they all run away and I have to start over. I can't get them to have status effects (only forget seems to hit with any regularity and a turn from anyone without a damage spell means not enough damage) so using technicals isn't an option. Pulling my hair out over this one.

Level 45.

Have you tried putting it on merciless difficulty? That's what the person you quoted did, it makes attacking weaknesses do way more damage in general so will make that part easier than putting it on easy probably will. I failed twice on hard and then put it on merciless and did it easily.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wait, the hardest difficulty makes it easier?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TTBF posted:

Wait, the hardest difficulty makes it easier?

Merciless triples damage from weaknesses on both sides. Since that one boss doesn’t hit weaknesses (unless you’re stupid and use Decarabia), it only benefits you since you can damage the obnoxious robots much more.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

TTBF posted:

Level 45.

Yes I switched to Merciless difficulty for the extra weakness damage. The farthest I got on hard was the last big robot but I was wasting the clock trying to revive and heal people after the stupid amounts of damage he puts out.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I changed to merciless for that fight and just stayed there.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So the new semester New Game+ boss is wrecking my butt. I can get to her final phase relatively consistently, sometimes the part that requires crits messes me up due to rng, but otherwise is fine. However, that final phase I just get wrecked by Lucifer-concentrate, Megidolaon. Is there a tell for when she is going to do that, or a certain number of turns or something, or is it just a random get hosed move?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Madmarker posted:

So the new semester New Game+ boss is wrecking my butt. I can get to her final phase relatively consistently, sometimes the part that requires crits messes me up due to rng, but otherwise is fine. However, that final phase I just get wrecked by Lucifer-concentrate, Megidolaon. Is there a tell for when she is going to do that, or a certain number of turns or something, or is it just a random get hosed move?

every 5 turns

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm one trophy shy of the Plat and it's the drat lottery one - I can't really get it with any of my saves without a ton of hassle. Anyone know the odds of winning if you do the year end lottery at the end of the game? I'd have to beat the last boss again which I don't feel like doing. Might just save it for NG+ later.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I'm one trophy shy of the Plat and it's the drat lottery one - I can't really get it with any of my saves without a ton of hassle. Anyone know the odds of winning if you do the year end lottery at the end of the game? I'd have to beat the last boss again which I don't feel like doing. Might just save it for NG+ later.

I won in my first try. I assumed you were guaranteed a win

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Merciless mode made the fight a breeze! Thanks!

Also yeah I won the first weekly lottery I did as well.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think if you do the lottery on the very first day its available you win it, that's what all the guides say to do. I think the summer lottery is a guaranteed win which doesn't count toward the trophy, but thankfully I won again soon after that happened. I had to try like 10+ times for a win

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Yes I switched to Merciless difficulty for the extra weakness damage. The farthest I got on hard was the last big robot but I was wasting the clock trying to revive and heal people after the stupid amounts of damage he puts out.

The big robot always tells you who he's going to attack so you just put Tetrakarn on that person to reflect the stupid amounts of damage he does.

Basically every dungeon boss is designed for you to use the new character on.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Third Semester:

If I max any of the teams confidants after the initial, “Hey can I talk to you?” can I still hit their Rank 11s? I had Makoto at 9 going into the last Palace and wondering if I should bother or just go full Kasumi.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

^burtle posted:

Third Semester:

If I max any of the teams confidants after the initial, “Hey can I talk to you?” can I still hit their Rank 11s? I had Makoto at 9 going into the last Palace and wondering if I should bother or just go full Kasumi.

I think you might have enough time to manage that? IIRC you get like 20 days to do stuff in the Third Semester?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm trying to figure something out.

See the tag hanging from the chain that says Garu? It shows up for all my Personas. Why?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

See the tag hanging from the chain that says Garu? It shows up for all my Personas. Why?

You are wearing an item that allows you to cast Garu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

The accessory you're wearing lets you use Garu.