Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Splicer posted:

Build a new one later

It'd still be there, taunting me... Having the ability to make a new one from scratch would make not being able to fix this one even worse, come to think of it. No, no, I'm just going to re-roll with the "shoulders of giants origin", been wanting to try that one too.

Edit: Ugh, I meant the remnants origin. This whole ringworld debacle really has me at sixes and sevens. Stellarised again!

Crespolini fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wait, you can manually desiginate planets? How do I do that?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Drone_Fragger posted:

Wait, you can manually desiginate planets? How do I do that?

This you mean?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason not to put jumpdrives on all my ships? I noticed the game doesn't do it automatically when upgrading.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

wilderthanmild posted:

Is there any reason not to put jumpdrives on all my ships? I noticed the game doesn't do it automatically when upgrading.

You might get something you didn't ask for

The Unbidden

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

wilderthanmild posted:

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

Not an actual spoiler, but if you're new to the game feel free to ignore and have fun: it influences which end game crises you're likely to get. So if you're seeing one a lot you can opt not to in hopes of making the other crises more often. But the AI will still do it's own thing so your influence on it is actually pretty limited.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Taking interstellar shortcuts rules, and it basically functions as Hyperdrive 4 so your ships will leave systems faster.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The only reason to not do it would be if you 100% didn't want the Unbidden to be the crisis.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Bear in mind that using a jump drive cripples your fleet for 200 days, so unless you heavily outgun your enemy you shouldn't use them to jump into a battle.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

Bear in mind that using a jump drive cripples your fleet for 200 days, so unless you heavily outgun your enemy you shouldn't use them to jump into a battle.

But it does bugger all to army effectiveness, so you can jump your transports about like there's no tomorrow.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
If you have ships merging with a fleet and that fleet makes a jump all the merging ships will also jump to the fleets destination if its in range.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And landing an army on a planet replenishes the jump timer for transports, so keep that in mind too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aethernet posted:

But it does bugger all to army effectiveness, so you can jump your transports about like there's no tomorrow.

and death stars!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vord posted:

If you have ships merging with a fleet and that fleet makes a jump all the merging ships will also jump to the fleets destination if its in range.

What a very intelligent feature.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Captain Splendid posted:

This really is a shame, but I guess the jump drive would make the late game really messy if everyone could just jump past choke points and cause havok with big fleets. You still kinda can, but gimping it limits the effectiveness a bit.

Also I definitely missed this detail before and had no idea why one of my most important fleets became garbage when I jumped it into a big fight.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Here is why jump drives are cool and good. You can either go Orange because hyperlanes hate you, or you can *pop* over asap (Green).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What a strange conversation.

Yes, jump drives are unambiguously the best, that's their point. Jump to avoid dump hyperlanes. Jump onto smaller enemy fleets. Jump onto bigger fleets when reinforcing a fight. Jump when moving in a straight line since its still faster despite the penalty. It's not really a debate or even a topic.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

You might get something you didn't ask for

The Unbidden

Just having the tech is enough to increase the chance, you don't need to equip them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Serephina posted:

What a strange conversation.

Yes, jump drives are unambiguously the best, that's their point. Jump to avoid dump hyperlanes. Jump onto smaller enemy fleets. Jump onto bigger fleets when reinforcing a fight. Jump when moving in a straight line since its still faster despite the penalty. It's not really a debate or even a topic.

They get a serious debuff so jumping into a battle you’re not gonna 100% stomp means you’ll lose a good chunk of ships.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

binge crotching posted:

Just having the tech is enough to increase the chance, you don't need to equip them.

Which kind of sucks, since you can get the tech without even really meaning to by researching debris.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

After about 150 hours I've finally completed my first single player game (I usually play multiplayer). Xenophillic megacorp was fun, but pretty chill.

Looking to go for the opposite with devouring swarm, does anyone have any tips? I'm imagining habitability is going to become a big pain. I'm about 15 years in, already taken an empire, and my EC balance is already shooting down haha.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Skeletome posted:

After about 150 hours I've finally completed my first single player game (I usually play multiplayer). Xenophillic megacorp was fun, but pretty chill.

Looking to go for the opposite with devouring swarm, does anyone have any tips? I'm imagining habitability is going to become a big pain. I'm about 15 years in, already taken an empire, and my EC balance is already shooting down haha.

You can sort out habitability once you get terraforming tech, it's not that big of a deal.

For me the big pain with a hive mind was amenities and deviancy, and how bad the game is at appropriately assigning drones to work them.

-----

Example 1: New colony, two drones.

There are five available jobs - two synapse drones (unity and admin cap), one hunter-seeker (deals with deviancy) and two maintenance drones (gives amenities). If you leave the colony alone, it'll fill up all five of these jobs, with the synapse drones first, then the hunter-seeker, and then the maintenance drones.

Problem is, there is no deviancy until you get a ton of drones on the planet, and the colony building provides plenty of amenities, so 60% of the jobs on a new colony are a waste. You can disable them, but then you have to keep checking back until you see amenities or deviancy in the red.

-----

Example 2: Research colony, thirty drones.

There are thirty available jobs - two synapse drones, twenty-five brain drones (research), one hunter-seeker and two maintenance drones. Deviancy is sky-high and amenities are in the toilet because the game assigns every drone to the brain drone job first and ignore the other two lesser jobs.

-----

I wish you could just set it to only run maintenance or hunter-seeker drones if there was a need for them, and to prioritise them if there is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

There are thirty available jobs - two synapse drones, twenty-five brain drones (research), one hunter-seeker and two maintenance drones. Deviancy is sky-high and amenities are in the toilet because the game assigns every drone to the brain drone job first and ignore the other two lesser jobs.
I think a lot of this is playing the game "as intended" vs playing the game as is fun. In example 2 if I only build new buildings as needed then there's no problem, and who doesn't love constantly jumping back and forth between planets keeping an eye on the amenities level, something not even listed in the side panel? Once I have too many planets for that to be feasible then obviously I turn on automation which I totally trust to only build new jobs as needed.

But how I actually want to play is to grab a new planet, slap down a 5/20/50 year plan depending on how far into the game I am, and swing by every few decades to update things. Which breaks the game to shreds.

Similarly for your first example everything works pretty OK if you throw down a district early, because by the time you fill out your district you're running low on amenities so those couple of amenities drones are useful, and increased stability will improve the district production. But if you don't want a district and instead want to save your minerals and dive straight into your first building slot look just stop playing the game wrong ok???

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 19, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Splicer posted:

Similarly for your first example everything works pretty OK if you throw down a district early, because by the time you fill out your district you're running low on amenities

Problem here is that the district doesn't get any drones until they've filled out the synapse, hunter-seeker and maintenance drones, so you've got like eighty months to wait before the colony starts actually producing anything.

Or you can micromanage it all and disable the hunter-seeker and maintenance drones because micromanagement is tremendous fun

Example two was also a ring world so you only really add twenty brain drone jobs at a time and they monopolise all the pops unless you... micromanage everything again

It's not like it's game-breaking, it just bugs me when the efficient way to play is also the one that requires a million monotonous clicks

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just allocate a stockpile to every sector, add a governor and let the game handle the rest. I'm too busy with the big picture like unlocking the secrets of the galaxy and conversing with strange lifeforms, I can't be bothered by what the people think they need or want.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gort posted:

Problem here is that the district doesn't get any drones until they've filled out the synapse, hunter-seeker and maintenance drones, so you've got like eighty months to wait before the colony starts actually producing anything.

Or you can micromanage it all and disable the hunter-seeker and maintenance drones because micromanagement is tremendous fun

Example two was also a ring world so you only really add twenty brain drone jobs at a time and they monopolise all the pops unless you... micromanage everything again

It's not like it's game-breaking, it just bugs me when the efficient way to play is also the one that requires a million monotonous clicks

That's an intrinsic challenge of the game always prioritizing complex jobs over basic jobs, if you're turning on the fire hose of complex jobs then your basic jobs will suffer. Colonies like ring worlds that provide complex jobs from districts are much more prone to this sort of problem. On a normal world it's a lot easier to not fall into that kind of trap, especially in the early-mid game when your buildings are only providing 2 jobs

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

John F Bennett posted:

I just allocate a stockpile to every sector, add a governor and let the game handle the rest. I'm too busy with the big picture like unlocking the secrets of the galaxy and conversing with strange lifeforms, I can't be bothered by what the people think they need or want.

That'd be great if the automation wasn't complete garbage.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't even care about how my planets end up, tbh. To compensate I lower the difficulty by 1 level and enjoy my carefree, non-micromanaging space opera building sim. Hurray!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's not about difficulty, having nice planets is a big chunk of why I play the game. Since 2.6 sponsoring regulatory facilitation is the number one way to get on my shitlist, beaten only by tiyanki extermination in 2.7. I also don't terraform planets because I don't want to kill all the (not even modeled in game) plants and animals.

So handing over my precious precious bonsai worlds to an incompetent AI that can't even be trusted to keep amenities in the positive is kind of a non-starter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

Maintenance drones get a massive priority reduction if you've more than 5 extra amenities, but that means the reduction only kicks in if you have at least one too many maintenance drones. Should probably be more like > 1

e: Only Maintenance Drones and Duelists have this check. Entertainers and clerks don't. Weird.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 19, 2020

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Skeletome posted:

For minmaxing in general you should disable Land Appropriation policy because pops are a valuable resource and you don't want to displace them when there are better uses...

Tip for genocidal empires in particular: purging diminishes the population at a flat rate regardless of habitability, traits, or pop count. So they'll die at a rate proportional to the number of planets with ongoing purges. If you just go by the civic's description that shouldn't be an issue because you supposedly just want to kill people, except that you gain resources from purge jobs and not from pops dying. So it's counterintuitive but you want to keep your undesirables around for as long as possible, which means resettling them onto to a minimal number of planets.

Purge jobs are affected by generic "+x% [resource] from jobs" modifiers (and edicts and empire-wide effects) so if you stack bonuses on a world specialized for those outputs then initially it's a waste of energy to resettle, but fairly quickly you'll get enough additional resources during the extended pop lifetime as to pay off the cost, and then some.

Their output is also affected by low-habitability penalty so if you're using this strategy you'll benefit greatly from having something that is universally habitable like gaia/ring/ecu/relic/habitat, which you might want to factor into your empire origin/species traits.

Also it sounds completely loving insane, which is the best reason.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I love this game, but boy howdy does performance poo poo the bed well before endgame.

I turned off automatic pausing and picked up some supplies over a good half an hour and the two wars I was in still weren't finished.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MadJackal posted:

I love this game, but boy howdy does performance poo poo the bed well before endgame.

I turned off automatic pausing and picked up some supplies over a good half an hour and the two wars I was in still weren't finished.
Beta has some performance improvements

silentsnack posted:

Their output is also affected by low-habitability penalty so if you're using this strategy you'll benefit greatly from having something that is universally habitable like gaia/ring/ecu/relic/habitat, which you might want to factor into your empire origin/species traits.
Moving entire species' to paradise so you can optimise their murder :stonklol:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol that they actually put in an option at game generation to disable the Xeno-Compatibility ascension perk instead of just removing that loving garbage from the game entirely

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Set a global stockpile instead, fewer clicks. You can also setup a monthly transfer, usually I start around +10 energy/month so the initial economy hit isn't as bad.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've been playing the New Horizons mod. It's an incredible production for an amateur project, really professional quality in terms of sound, graphics, and artwork. I also think the game does interesting things with its strategic resource and district economy that is arguably better than the base game. Basically, lots of buildings and components require components. Strategic resources can either be produces in small amounts for lots of basic resources (minerals/energy/food) on any planet, or produced in large amounts without resources if planets have a special deposit. Many planets seem to have at least one large strategic resource deposit. This helps to differentiate and specialize planets and ties it to gameplay.

With that said, the mid-game boredom appears to be worse than the base game. There's a few events that seem mainly to require sending a science ship and picking choices heavily dependent on luck. You can send ships on deep space missions, but the choices are extremely repetitive. Am I missing something? Does the late game pick up? Right now I feel like I'm staring at a cool screensaver while listening to podcasts. I suspect part of the reason for this is that my exploration/expansion is quickly cut off by the large, surrounding, canonical empires.

I know its beta and suspect it will be more flushed out as development continues.

prometheusbound2 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 20, 2020

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gort posted:

You can sort out habitability once you get terraforming tech, it's not that big of a deal.

For me the big pain with a hive mind was amenities and deviancy, and how bad the game is at appropriately assigning drones to work them.

-----

Example 1: New colony, two drones.

There are five available jobs - two synapse drones (unity and admin cap), one hunter-seeker (deals with deviancy) and two maintenance drones (gives amenities). If you leave the colony alone, it'll fill up all five of these jobs, with the synapse drones first, then the hunter-seeker, and then the maintenance drones.

Problem is, there is no deviancy until you get a ton of drones on the planet, and the colony building provides plenty of amenities, so 60% of the jobs on a new colony are a waste. You can disable them, but then you have to keep checking back until you see amenities or deviancy in the red.

-----

-----
I'm guessing your drones have a racial bonus to research, and possibly a penalty to amenities production

The problem is that these are affecting the weighting of which jobs pops take even though you only really have one pop type in your empire since you're a hive mind.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Invictus posted:

lol that they actually put in an option at game generation to disable the Xeno-Compatibility ascension perk instead of just removing that loving garbage from the game entirely

That's the proper way to do it, as undoubtedly there's some wierdos out there who really really love it and don't mind the clutter at all. So keeping the feature in for single player and letting everyone else forget that it existed is the right call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm guessing your drones have a racial bonus to research, and possibly a penalty to amenities production

The problem is that these are affecting the weighting of which jobs pops take even though you only really have one pop type in your empire since you're a hive mind.

I don't think that racial bonuses are accounted for at all, drones will normally prefer to take complex jobs over menial ones, just like how normal pops prefer becoming specialists over becoming workers