Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

codo27 posted:

I didn't do this, but on journey wouldn't you be better suited to keep 10 life crystals and research them rather than collecting the 14 or whatever it is you need to max?

Pretty much, even more so if playing with others. Because then 10 life crystals is enough for literally everyone. We've found that playing with 3 total is the best because Treasure Bags from bosses are researchable at 3 and so you can just dupe those for all the rare drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Cicadas! posted:

This is weird as gently caress, and seems pointless in a bad way. I don't want to feng-shui my light fixtures while caving, no one wants to think about that, they just want to be able to see.

Is the play now to just beeline for the mining helmet and never use torches again, defense be damned?

Since the game only seems to calculate in a 42 square radius around the player, it seems fine to use whatever torches you want if you don't care about percentile rates in your current activity. Personally I don't mind that I now feel like I have to play the game with weird, thematically appropriate lighting, I'm down for it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I edited the link in the OP with a permanent discord invite. So it should work once again! :toot:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Cuntellectual posted:

Put cursed torches everywhere to boost your luck, apparently.

This seems to be a desperate system put in to justify the existence of so many different kinds of torches, but this kind of thing didn't really need a justification. Wonder why this got in. It seems so arbitrary.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Someone should come up with a new thread title for 1.4.

Are cavern and universal pylons the only ones that work below the surface?

I've tried jungle and snow and they didn't seem to,currently trying to work out where to set up hallowed housing and don't have many options that won't reduce my mob spawn locations... Due to overlapping jungle my hallow generation got a bit screwed and I don't have a clentaninator yet only grass seed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I haven't managed to find one yet, but I think the Mushroom Biome pylon might also work in underground locations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

3 NPCs in one spot will make the area a "Town" and stop enemies from spawning there, but you only need 2 NPCs nearby for the Pylon to work. So if you want mobs to keep spawning in that area, just stick to 2 houses.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

ya boy pbat will live forever

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
oops, ignore this post please

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
pylons also work no matter what after you have them and two npcs, and their happiness is irrelevant. right now my forest biome has like 15 npcs, ocean and jungle each have 2, and all three pylons are fine

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Finally, all golf items.
Played on some maps, and also made a range on my map.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

VodeAndreas posted:

This was a nice suggestion ealier:

Augus posted:

it's journey mode, everything is permitted

Terraria's Final 1.4 Update - It's Journey mode, everything is permitted

DoubleNegative posted:

If someone wants to make a new thread, go right ahead and be my guest. I'll also see about getting another permanent link to the discord once I'm back at my pc. That one was supposed to be permanent but apparently these links are tempermental.

Looks like dis astranagant or Zereth take away the award for posting far more in here than anyone:

Do you two (or anyone else) know enough to make a nice OP update out of the current thread's OP?

If so :justpost:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

benzine posted:

Finally, all golf items.
Played on some maps, and also made a range on my map.

Nice! Can you share them? I wanna try out golf maps but making one on my own is daunting.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Honestly my op is just an ungodly mashup of the previous four threads, so I would personally ditch it all rather than try to save anything.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Verviticus posted:

pylons also work no matter what after you have them and two npcs, and their happiness is irrelevant. right now my forest biome has like 15 npcs, ocean and jungle each have 2, and all three pylons are fine

Oh good, I was trying to get find a suitable spot in the underground for a town. If I do change my mind and go down that route, does it matter if the houses are in the underground or cavern level, or are they the same with regards to happiness?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
not sure, i havent made an underground pylon yet

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

axeil posted:

Nice! Can you share them? I wanna try out golf maps but making one on my own is daunting.

Putt-raria is the best of the bunch

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-journeys-end-official-golf-map-starter-kit.87208/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Munki's Journey Server:
goon.nodecraft.gg
Password: g00nz
We now have an auto-updating map available at http://terragoons.website/

Updates roughly every fifteen minutes after the server saves. It does keep a history so I'm hoping to make a cool animation later, but that web page doesn't have any mechanism to make that available yet. If someone wanted to make a cool web app for these images, I'd be happy to host it.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Nice, and also good to see the jungle is safe

benzine fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 20, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Dreamsicle posted:

Oh good, I was trying to get find a suitable spot in the underground for a town. If I do change my mind and go down that route, does it matter if the houses are in the underground or cavern level, or are they the same with regards to happiness?

Pylons only work in the matching biome, with at least 2 NPCs housed nearby. Other than that, nothing matters. Though you will get higher prices if you put NPCs in hated biomes/with hated others.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hmmm the game decided to delete all the maps for all of my characters. weird

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know if they don't want people to put NPCs in prison boxes you'd think they would of at least updated their movement AI to not be completely nonsensical.

Trying to design them anything that isn't just a simple cube is so hard.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

You know if they don't want people to put NPCs in prison boxes you'd think they would of at least updated their movement AI to not be completely nonsensical.

Trying to design them anything that isn't just a simple cube is so hard.

AFAIK they'll still be happy even if they're in prison boxes.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Verviticus posted:

hmmm the game decided to delete all the maps for all of my characters. weird

There was a bug fix in the changelog with certain strange names for your new character that used to be able to cause that effect. I guess they missed a different similar bug. That sucks, sorry :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dreamsicle posted:

Yeah but I figure they wanna at least create the illusion of keeping em happy.

Building a nice house for myself and the NPCs is what drives the building half of the game too me. Its just frustrating trying to do fancy stuff for an NPC only to realize their hosed up movement means they will only stay inside a tiny box without you rearranging your whole layout.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dreamsicle posted:

Happiness is impacted by proximity to any other NPCs, not just the liked/loved/hated ones. I think they start getting pissed off after having more than 2 neighbors within 25 blocks or I think more than 4 within 125 or something.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

yeah all they care about is WHERE the prison box is and who their cellmates are

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Excelzior posted:

yeah all they care about is WHERE the prison box is and who their cellmates are

Priorities

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Mastermode was a mistake. Hardmode is spanking me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Updates roughly every fifteen minutes after the server saves. It does keep a history so I'm hoping to make a cool animation later, but that web page doesn't have any mechanism to make that available yet. If someone wanted to make a cool web app for these images, I'd be happy to host it.
Nice how'd you make this?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

socialsecurity posted:

Nice how'd you make this?
TerraMap has a headless option, so I set up a python script to download the world from the game host via ftp, run it through terramap, and upload the file to my web host. Of course, terramap being windows only, no crontab, but windows task scheduler sufficed. I can share the python script if someone wants to duplicate the effort, but it's pretty simple. The whole thing is really stitched together but it seems to be working well enough. It'd be great to have a nicer viewer for the image(s), but that'll have to wait for another day.

Incidentally, the latest terramap headless executable was bugged, so I opened an issue on its github and the guy fixed it within, like, 5 minutes, which was pretty awesome.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 20, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That torch luck poo poo is dumb and probably stopped me from finding goodies in the ice and desert biome early on. Oddly doesn't seem to effect the dungeon or hell much, I found all the goodies in those.

Also I think there's a meteor in the cavern layer of my map somewhere.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I rather like the idea because you can keep playing without following torch rules, you can be completely oblivious of the rule and play without restriction, the game just gets harder. If you want to min max, you make plans for your biome accordingly. Your map gets a little prettier and you're spending a little bit more time in consideration of aesthetics. I've never built anything nice primarily due to lack of incentive so every little bit helps.

What seems like they could get a lot more annoying are the other factors for luck. Ladybugs? Wouldn't those get killed quickly anyway if you're releasing them while farming drops? Rare garden gnome statues that you have to drag to every farming expedition, that do make quite a bit of difference? Another potion buff that must be on at all times in order to get the best stuff? And it all greatly effects most every aspect of gameplay.

e: The upside is if a lot of these boosts come late-game only, so that speedruns don't have to depend on luck factor to guarantee enough fortuitous circumstances to make for a good run. If pearls and gnomes are rare enough, speedruns might just skip luck other than the torch side of it.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 20, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i really like the luck and happiness mechanics, they are very similar in that if you want to farm with the maximum efficiency you need to do a bit of prep beforehand, and if you want the best prices from specific npcs you need to make sure they are matched with the ones they like in the biome they prefer. it adds a bit of thought and strategy to otherwise brainless activities

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

With too much free time, thanks lockdown also the goon who gave the 05162020 easter egg a crimson-corruption world really helps.

And this video of a guy who shows every entry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kxZ2w5kEq4

I was able to 100% the bestiary, killing the 225 Giant Antlion Swarmer....

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Man, now I feel bad for spamming the heck out of standard torches in Munki's game.

I like the idea of matching the torches to the biome, but I wish the game mentioned it anywhere.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 20, 2020

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bad Munki posted:

I really enjoyed this map. I like how obvious the vertical shafts created by people blasting down with dynamite/bombs are.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The main problem with the luck rules is that the only in-game indication that they exist AT ALL is the potion and the rather vague comments the Wizard gives out. Who the gently caress, without looking it up, would ever have realized their torch feng shui was messing with their luck?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a guide to explaining NPC movement rules anywhere? Mainly concering how they travel up and down staircases and the weird bullshit surrounding when their AI will decide to always jump down.

I just wanna make multi-level homes they actually use :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
anyone want to try expert or master from scratch?

Augus posted:

3 NPCs in one spot will make the area a "Town" and stop enemies from spawning there, but you only need 2 NPCs nearby for the Pylon to work. So if you want mobs to keep spawning in that area, just stick to 2 houses.

How large is the area? It seems to be pretty small because I constantly have slimes and stuff spawning in my base.

Is there a mod that lets you build turrets or guards or something because it's such a pain.

watho posted:

i really like the luck and happiness mechanics, they are very similar in that if you want to farm with the maximum efficiency you need to do a bit of prep beforehand, and if you want the best prices from specific npcs you need to make sure they are matched with the ones they like in the biome they prefer. it adds a bit of thought and strategy to otherwise brainless activities

I think they're terrible since they're unexplained and also really important.