Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Who the gently caress is running these C-RAM’s anyway? Are they run by contractors? Or do we take navy folks who know how to maintain CIWS or whatever and make them do it in land locked Afghanistan for 6-12 months?

I’m all but 100% certain it ain’t the USAF or USMC running those guns, so my best guess is Navy folks under Army opcon or contractor/civilians. Or Army owning them and having the folks for it, but something tells me the Army isn’t putting joe on that. Just a hunch, could be wrong.

Anyone know?

Looks like they gave it to air defense artillery.

https://www.army.mil/article/120148/avenger_crew_members_transition_to_c_ram

quote:

The temperatures may have been cold here last week, but Thompson Hill Complex was hot as about 70 Soldiers from B Battery, 5th Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, from Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., performed live-fire Counter-Rocket, Artillery and Mortar training.

The Soldiers, who are a mix of Air Defense Artillery, known as ADA, military occupational specialties, were transitioning from the Avenger surface-to-air missile system to Counter-Rocket, Artillery and Mortar, known as C-RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Well I’ll be damned, the Army does own it. That makes waaaaaaay too much sense for the military. I seriously anticipated reading that USN Sailors we’re getting mobilized to loving Afghanistan to maintain and operate those guns, since they have so many of them on ships. I seem to recall Mr. Nice relaying a story about losing an Aegis FC from his boat to Iraq, or Afghanistan. That’s probably where I got it in my head that it was USN. That and their already existing expertise with the systems.

MLMP08, you are an ADA soldier, how big is the Army C-RAM force? We talking a battalion sized element? A couple companies spread across different ADA battalions? A brigade (Doubtful but who the gently caress knows)? I’m curious. It seems like a really cool job, and additionally a very important job.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Who the gently caress is running these C-RAM’s anyway? Are they run by contractors? Or do we take navy folks who know how to maintain CIWS or whatever and make them do it in land locked Afghanistan for 6-12 months?

I’m all but 100% certain it ain’t the USAF or USMC running those guns, so my best guess is Navy folks under Army opcon or contractor/civilians. Or Army owning them and having the folks for it, but something tells me the Army isn’t putting joe on that. Just a hunch, could be wrong.

Anyone know?

I realize from what others posted that it is the Army doing it but I wouldn't have put it past Big Navy to Roger Up for that mission with all the other Navy folks I was with over in Afghanistan. What a loving waste of lives, time, and treasure

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Wikipedia seems to indicate they’re company sized elements in existing ADA battalions.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Back in 06 on Balad, it was Navy dudes in Army uniforms. I spoke with a Navy dude who had an 82d patch on.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Crosspost from the Weather thread:

Deteriorata posted:

Heavy rains in Michigan are causing some problems for my home town:

Sanford Dam failure imminent; Midland residents evacuating

My mother still lives there. She's safe for the time being.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stravag posted:

I think mcnally literally just mailed my operation useless dirt shirt to stravag so v0v

I sent a secret santa gift to "Mr. D. McDef" because I had reason to believe a box full of wires, batteries, and dense cylindrical objects addressed to "Deathy McDeath" would result in unfortunate police interactions for me

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also as regards self-policing of languange we're not keeping up with the rest of the forums, we're leading, and have been for years, and I'm drat proud of it.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

BigDave posted:

Crosspost from the Weather thread:

That's a lot of water flowing over that earthen dam. That whole structure is going to be gone soon, and that's the upper dam. If the Lowry dam doesn't hold, that's a loving LOT of water coming downstream.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

I sent a secret santa gift to "Mr. D. McDef" because I had reason to believe a box full of wires, batteries, and dense cylindrical objects addressed to "Deathy McDeath" would result in unfortunate police interactions for me

Mods were called

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

This footage is of the Edenville dam, which is ~10 miles upstream of the Sanford dam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQh7kIDvNLw

The dam system operator, Boyce Hydro, had their license revoked by the FERC because they "failed to increase the [Edenville dam] project's spillway capacity to safely pass flood flows." In January 2020 a task force (to protect that lakefront property?) bought the upstream dams from Boyce. An engineering estimate of work needed from the task force was expected to be completed by the end of 2020.

This is the Sanford dam ~10 miles downstream.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaWPQNa6OjE

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Michigan not taking a water problem seriously enough? This is unheard of.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress. All of this poo poo happening during a loving pandemic. Jesus Christ these loving ghouls are incompetent.

We need a competent FEMA and fed government at the helm for the coming hurricane season. We're not ready to open the country up again - we don't even have the needed contact tracers, nor the testing infrastructure in place. The second wave is gonna hit loving hard, all the while people in hurricane alley are forced to shelter close together or evacuate to gyms and hotels and shelters. All while a pandemic goes on. Now we're adding dam breaks to it.

What next?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If they weren’t before they’re definitely breaking now.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Someone buy an emoji that's this one :drat: but :dam:, instead

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Noooooo

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the GOP doubling down on McSally after she lost to Sinema is hilarious

All you want to do is drive away McSally, ride, McSally, ride

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Anyone know?

Navy under Army opcon is correct. I was in 2005-2011 and typically one, sometimes two people were detached from our division for Iraq/Afghanistan tours. We did not receive replacement manpower. If you made it to shore duty you were almost guaranteed either Great Lakes or Afghanistan.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember when they were testing c-rams at Anaconda in 2005. There was one posted about a 1000 feet from my companys' area (next to the ed center). Definitely wasn't expecting it at PT formation that first time. loving wild at the time.

My company was dumb and we'd do PT all of 200 feet from the perimeter fence. And the c-ram didn't register the rocket that hit my building without detonating (a French made rocket, go figure). Still have a tailfin as my keychain.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 20, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1262929506647658496

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The BBC has nailed this headline.

Nancy Pelosi accused of fat-shaming 'obese' Trump

https://www.bbc.com/news/52733199

BBC :smug: posted:

Top US Democrat Nancy Pelosi has been accused of fat-shaming President Donald Trump after she called him "morbidly obese".

Mrs Pelosi cited Mr Trump's "weight group" when asked about his disclosure that he is taking hydroxychloroquine to guard against Covid-19.

There is no evidence the drug can ward off the virus, and experts have cautioned it may cause heart problems.

Critics said Mrs Pelosi's "fat-phobic" response distracted from such concerns.

The World Health Organization has called attention to reports of individuals self-medicating and causing themselves serious harm with hydroxychloroquine, which Mr Trump has repeatedly touted as a potential Covid-19 treatment.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, the 73-year-old president said he had started taking the malaria and lupus medication in the past fortnight.

How Trump talks about women - and does it matter?
Trump trades barbs on mental stability
Trump says he is taking unproven drug for coronavirus

"I happen to be taking it," Mr Trump said. "If it's not good, I'll tell you right, I'm not going to get hurt by it."

Asked on Monday night by CNN about Mr Trump's remarks, Mrs Pelosi said she would "rather he [Mr Trump] not be taking something that has not been approved by the scientists".

"Especially in his age group, and in his, shall we say, weight group, morbidly obese, they say," the US House of Representatives speaker said.

But failed with delivery.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
The Twitterati are out in full force about the fat shaming.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Maybe making fun of conservatives for things SJWs fight for is the quickest way to get social justice.

Like arming minorities to get gun control.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

shame on an IGA posted:

Also as regards self-policing of languange we're not keeping up with the rest of the forums, we're leading, and have been for years, and I'm drat proud of it.

I've noticed this too, and I respect all y'all for it

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Oh and just in case you thought Trump might be helping Michigan...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263074783673102337?s=20

Spoiler: he's not.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/nailpounder/status/1263017470593511425?s=19

Who had toxic slurry on their bingo card?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Trump having yet another normal one over Twitter, first going after Michigan, then Nevada, for offering up mail-in ballots for the elections.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263094958417985538

It’s really something how the Republican Party isn’t even pretending that the only way they can win elections long-term is to suppress turnout by whatever means necessary.

Also Trump seems to be back-handed to calling for Joe Scarborough to be attested or killed or something for reasons I don’t care enough to dig into.

Hail 2020, may the passing of toxic sludge flood water cleans the earth.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

This is some Simpsons-level disaster skit

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Trump having yet another normal one over Twitter, first going after Michigan, then Nevada, for offering up mail-in ballots for the elections.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263094958417985538

It’s really something how the Republican Party isn’t even pretending that the only way they can win elections long-term is to suppress turnout by whatever means necessary.

Also Trump seems to be back-handed to calling for Joe Scarborough to be attested or killed or something for reasons I don’t care enough to dig into.

Hail 2020, may the passing of toxic sludge flood water cleans the earth.

Michigan is sending out mail in ballot applications. It’s not even ballots. Michigan is doing the same thing Georgia is doing (and several other states) but look at who the governors are and you can figure that one out.

I don’t really know anything about Nevada.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone know?

https://www.sdefenses.com/what-we-do/current-contracts/

First item

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Georgia decided various nonessential businesses can open up, but it would be too unsafe to hold an election for a Georgia supreme court judge, so they'll just let the Republican Governor pick one instead.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Georgia decided various nonessential businesses can open up, but it would be too unsafe to hold an election for a Georgia supreme court judge, so they'll just let the Republican Governor pick one instead.

Got a link for this? Want to pass on to a friend.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BigDave posted:

Oh and just in case you thought Trump might be helping Michigan...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263074783673102337?s=20

Spoiler: he's not.

As Michigan residents, my wife and I agreed that getting the ability to vote without having to go to the voting place is loving awesome. We got our forms in the mail a couple of weeks ago, maybe last week, and we even had the option to select to do that forever. That's awesome.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Anyone know?

A lot of the more significant maintenance and technical setup work is run by contractors. Manning of the fire control systems, 10-level maintenance, reloading, etc, is done by air defense soldiers primarily, but field artillery units have also been performing the mission for a while, because there are not enough air defense formations around to feed the demand. NAVSEA (Naval Sea Systems Command) also has GS technicians on loan to the Army in various locations. When field artillery units do the C-RAM mission, they go through training and certification under an air defense unit before shipping out to CENTCOM.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Got a link for this? Want to pass on to a friend.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...p-a9523056.html

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

per your link

quote:

The ruling found that in Georgia law, a justice is only replaced via election if they are beaten at the polls, and not if they have already declared they will leave the post.

:thunk:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This year is ticking a silly amount of items off its fuckit list. Im just happy i have a dog who wants nothing more to be a couple feet from me at all times. Really is making this year... well not tolerable but not a complete fuckfest of stupidity and depression. Also she decided she wanted to do catte things last week idfk

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's also a TRIGA research reactor at that Dow site in Midland like the one GeorgiaTech has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Basticle posted:

per your link

:thunk:

Even better then, I guess they can just have judges quit by choice a week or a few before elections and then always allow 2-year gubernatorial appointments.

There are problems with electing judges, but deliberately gaming the system to only allow judges from the party other than the governor to face election is a bad precedent.