Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Klyith posted:

A couple of them are into star citizen, I poo poo you not.
Proof there is a God and they want me to die laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

PS Now is primarily sold as an upsell to the existing PS install base - most users are not using it for streaming. Yes - it could be a good comp for consumer appetite for a content subscription. PS Now was also $20/month for a long time. What is in the content sub matters alot.

Sort of apples and oranges in other ways though. Stadia offers games ala cart as well, and it is less tethered to the console than PS Now. Also offers a lot features that PS Now can't and Stadia will continue to add.

$20/month to spend 10 hours to download a game on your PS4 sounds like a crap experience. Stadia is pick up and play instantly.

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what feature does Stadia offer that PS Now doesn't? I can think of many large ones that PS Now offers that Stadia does not and will never

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
*4K 5.1 streaming***

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s even a bunch of streaming-only games on there since they’re running on server racks of PS3s and there’s no PS4 version.
That's a tough spot to be in since no one is making new Cell chips. It must be only slightly less of a nightmare to emulate than the Saturn.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

hostile apostle posted:

Also offers a lot features that PS Now can't and Stadia will continue to add.

lol Has a lot of features that PS doesn’t and also doesn’t have a lot of the features that PS Now doesn’t!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

30 GB download 😲

30GB download trending on twitter....people going crazy over the amount of updates needed for warzone. If only stadia had warzone, so many people would jump on board.

quote:

This will be more and more of a competitive edge. Next gen games will only be bigger.

quote:

I tried bringing this up on Twitter. The console fanboys believe next gen game storage technology will keep file sizes exactly the same, if not, less.

quote:

LMAO

Game publishers are actually pushing the boundaries of their game sizes to edge out competition and to build a sense of investment in their consumer base. Large game sizes are also there to make consumers think twice about uninstalling.

They're bothering less with compression, not more. It's pretty obvious when COD: Warzone is 150gb and I literally had to uninstall Battlefield 1 to have it on my console.

Grinding Downloading for 6.5 hours builds a sense of pRIdE aNd aCComPlisHmEnt in our consumers.

quote:

If they want Warzone to compete with Fortnite and PubG the only good way to port it to mobile is through Stadia IMO.

quote:

Honestly, I've had more fun with pubg on stadia.

quote:

It kills me. I'm playing Warzone on the Xbox but my God.. If it was available for Stadia, then Consoles would be screwed - it would put them in such stark contrast with the stadia

^^^ that dude's gonna get murdered by the other Stadians

quote:

We basicAlly know battlefield will.be on Stadia, Siege is announced, others will follow. people who deny Stadia as a legitimate platform can already be seen as individuals who will constantly be moving the goalposts as to what defines it as a bust. today it's there's not enough games, tomorrow it will be you can't legitimately own the titles, this will continue until there's no good reason to view stadia as a bust. At that point, these people would simply stop making comments instead of recanting the things that they've said in the past.

quote:

Truthfully, because Google supports it, I would not be surprised to see Activision's storefront appear on Stadia.

quote:

This is one reason i love Stadia!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

wait what Siege on Stadia? loving lmao I hope that's true, it's going to be a loving clown show when graphics artifacting makes it so you can't see the guy peeking just barely above the desk and he takes your head off, and any kind of lag is often a death sentence in that game. Oh man it's going to be loving amazing :allears:

EDIT: loving triple lmao if it doesn't include voice chat

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 20, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

*4K 5.1 streaming***

Come on man I was looking for the fine print!

Also lol at the 30gig download which was done while the machine was asleep for like 99% of players.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zoig posted:

It really does feel like we go in circles where we keep asking "who is this for" "does this even help" and my personal favorite "why," so i have a question i don't remember if it was ever asked: is it possible to have done this whole thing worse than stadia? I don't just mean this as a joke i genuinely am trying to think of how you could bungle it worse outside of the obvious criminal option.

Only paid games but they still rotate out. Locally mines cryptocurrency. You completely lose all access when cancelling and have to rebuy when you resub.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Uses p2p that gets you throttled or flagged /sued for filesharung

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

So a weird story. When stadia got revealed my friend was super passionate about the idea of it and praised it endlessly to me and my other friends. I'd just bought an xbox one X and was basically defending that stadia was underpowered and would never compare to modern day console gaming etc.

This led to a massive arguement and debate which got quite heated and we didnt talk for days.

I would just like to say - I am so sorry.

2 days ago I bought a Samsung S6 tablet with my phone upgrade and immediately got stadia up and running on the browser (desktop mode) and hooked up my ps4 controller.

And in 2 days. I've done more gaming than I've done in the last 2 weeks. I can not get over the fact of how handy and easy stadia is. The fact I can play wherever I want (handy as me and my partner only have 1 main tv in our house) and the fact I can now play in bed at night without keeping her awake is pure bliss. I've already sunk £100 in games on it and will definitely be purchasing more.

I'm more than happy with stadia and to my old friend I apologise for being so naive. (Although in my defense the fact they recently made stadia free to everyone to use is what won me over to try it ;)

Heres to many more hours going ahead!

quote:

yup same with my friends im a hugh tech nerd and with that have almost every modern system/a few old consoles so when i got stadia and i must say it worked for me from day 1 without any issue my friends just seem to listen to all the hate that had been going on and keep saying it sucks without trying it even if its a free trail like why hating something you didnt even try btw 1 of these friends did the 1 hour free session for gfn and it failed on him (had a bad network at home)but even then loving try it atleast before saying stuff that isnt even true

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Also lol at the 30gig download which was done while the machine was asleep for like 99% of players.

Also actually done when it was released. Stadia has to approve updates and push them to cloud machines, which means people wait longer, even if they're not in the process of downloading during that time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

Or preloaded days in advance so they unlocked immediately.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK they can’t preload patches right?

It just gets pushed to live whenever.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

PS Now is primarily sold as an upsell to the existing PS install base - most users are not using it for streaming. Yes - it could be a good comp for consumer appetite for a content subscription. PS Now was also $20/month for a long time. What is in the content sub matters alot.

Sort of apples and oranges in other ways though. Stadia offers games ala cart as well, and it is less tethered to the console than PS Now. Also offers a lot features that PS Now can't and Stadia will continue to add.

$20/month to spend 10 hours to download a game on your PS4 sounds like a crap experience. Stadia is pick up and play instantly.

This is one of the worst posts you have made in this thread. Do not start outright lying in here for your employer.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

why are posts by marketers even allowed really

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

well why not posted:

It’s quite enjoyable dunking on them to be fair.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

well why not posted:

As long as the posts are ridiculous and the replies funny, then I think it belongs. (The Thermidor thread was very funny) and ultimately I love seeing jokes in the forums. Especially Games which does not have the reputation of being particularly funny. So far HA has given us (completely unintentionally) some very funny lines. The one in their avatar is my favourite, followed closely by Stay Tuned, Bud. (This one even more funny now that I was staying tuned for a random youtube video followed up with an insult and then a lie about a service).

If it gets too much here then I will disallow it, but for the moment this is actually a wild thread and it makes me laugh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

well why not posted:

I really don't believe that he is a marketer. Yeah he works for google and drinks the flavor aid but I don't think its his job to schill.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Weedle posted:

yeah 8 hours for 100 gigs is about 3.5 MB/s.

That gigabit Internet really delivering value then. I guess the rest of the bandwidth was being used to ~~stream games~~

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I really don't believe that he is a marketer. Yeah he works for google and drinks the flavor aid but I don't think its his job to schill.

Im gonna say this with confidence, only a very very very badly managed company would waste the cost of a live person posting about their product on SA

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK they can’t preload patches right?

It just gets pushed to live whenever.

Sometimes when there is big updates they dole them out in smaller increments so everything don't break on patch day, but nobody does that anymore because of datamining.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Barudak posted:

Im gonna say this with confidence, only a very very very badly managed company would waste the cost of a live person posting about their product on SA

Well it’s google so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sandweed posted:

Sometimes when there is big updates they dole them out in smaller increments so everything don't break on patch day, but nobody does that anymore because of datamining.

Yeah so in theory that could be a win for Stadia BUT!

A) Only a small portion of the gaming population 100% has to play as soon as the patch is released and can't wait the 1-2 hours for it to download

B) Stadia doesn't keep up with patches so lolololololol

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

That's a tough spot to be in since no one is making new Cell chips. It must be only slightly less of a nightmare to emulate than the Saturn.

It’s why I’m basically never getting rid of my PS3. The hardware for that is some kind of otherworldly abomination so I’m sure that a lot of the games I have on there are only ever going to be playable on there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s why I’m basically never getting rid of my PS3. The hardware for that is some kind of otherworldly abomination so I’m sure that a lot of the games I have on there are only ever going to be playable on there.

iirc, MGS4's so hardcoded to the PS3 they'd probably have to remake it from scratch to get it working on anything else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There are working PS3 emulators out there that can already run a bunch of commercial games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, it can* even have Drakengard 3 run at a stable** framerate

*You need a serious rig
**Almost but not quite 30

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

warzones download and update sizes are awful but its a very cod problem. its completely inexplicable why the game is so huge at all and ridiculous the BR only version of the game still wants you to download 100gb

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Yeah, it can* even have Drakengard 3 run at a stable** framerate

*You need a serious rig
**Almost but not quite 30

It's not like PS3 could even run Drakengard 3 at stable 30.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

It's not like PS3 could even run Drakengard 3 at stable 30.

Oh sorry, yeah, my point is emulation for PS3 is significantly better than hardware in some cases

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Stux posted:

warzones download and update sizes are awful but its a very cod problem. its completely inexplicable why the game is so huge at all and ridiculous the BR only version of the game still wants you to download 100gb

You'd think the CoD engine ecosystem would be a solved problem at this point, totally modular so they can make changes quickly and roll out patches / new stuff quickly like an MMO. Instead they had like a decade of wierd ID Tech and seemingly still 100GB patches. I don't see why CoD needs to take up more space than say, Fortnite or Overwatch.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

What I would like, which might totally not be your thing, is a social lobby kind of space. I think Stadia can be the perfect platform for this. Imagine a space like the Oasis (ready player one/but without VR) in which you can create your avatar and interact will all other players in that space. The space shows portals to all available games on Stadia, which might have some locked and others open, depending on what games you own. In the lobby space you can meet up with either friends, or random strangers. Interact and discuss what game you would like to play together. The lobby could have some short games you can play together while waiting for more people to join in, or just because you like that interaction, without actually going into another game.

I'd see this as a third person perspective lobby, maybe with the option to change to first person.

He just described PlayStation Home but lamer. :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

well why not posted:

The only posts of his that irk me are the ones that are purely solicitation — the ones where he pops in just to post a sale announcement.

I feel like those posts should be strictly confined to SA-Mart with immediate punishment for violations. NO MERCY :black101:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

well why not posted:

You'd think the CoD engine ecosystem would be a solved problem at this point, totally modular so they can make changes quickly and roll out patches / new stuff quickly like an MMO. Instead they had like a decade of wierd ID Tech and seemingly still 100GB patches. I don't see why CoD needs to take up more space than say, Fortnite or Overwatch.
With the yearly release cycle between two studios I think that's a pit of technical debt they're not getting out of.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
CoD was still using a modified version of the Quake III engine til 2014 or 15, they really dont change technical stuff too much. Rotating between studios (I think they're up to three now) really doesn't help.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

...! posted:

The only posts of his that irk me are the ones that are purely solicitation — the ones where he pops in just to post a sale announcement.

I feel like those posts should be strictly confined to SA-Mart with immediate punishment for violations. NO MERCY :black101:

Yeah if they were not so embarassing half the time then I probably would hit harder. Again, I know this is a bit inconsistent with the main rules but this thread is so ridiculous that as long as it continues to be this way it stays a good source of humour.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah same, it feels a lot more like he's a true believer with the misfortune to actually work for and experience the sheer Tech Company incompetence firsthand

If only he could convince one small group of people that Stadia is good, then he would be validated :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Time_pants posted:

Okay, I don't play that many games, but how many games out there run 100 GB? That seems excessive.

It's getting more common but is still not the norm.

My XB1X (so including games with texture packs) here are the installed games that are >50 gigs. This isn't a complete list of games, of course, but most of the heavy hitters are here other than most of the CoD games, which we know are mismanaged to hell in terms of data size.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (119.3 gigs)
Hitman 2 with all DLC content - 118.8 gigs, note that this rolls in all the content from the first game so effectively makes it have the content of two games with their DLC
Gears of War 4 (117.7 gigs). Interestingly, Gears 5 is only 60 gigs.
Destiny 2 (106 gigs), effectively a download-only game now (I think patches require a full redownload and with the game going F2P the disc is redundant).
Halo: MCC (104.1 gigs), although you can install it piecemeal now. It's effectively a download-only game now (installing from disc maybe saves you 200 megs of DL if even that).
Halo 5 (99 gigs)
Forza 7 (98.6 gigs)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey with all DLC (98.5 gigs), base game on its own is 66.3 gigs
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (92.9 gigs)
Middle-earth: Shadow of War with all DLC (89.9 gigs)
NBA 2K20 (84 gigs). This is an interesting case since it's far and away the biggest sports game and was this size even at launch, so you needed a 30ish gig download even from the get-go. I think NBA 2K19 was sub-60 gigs and didn't even have 10 gigs to download, and the ones before were definitely "complete" on disc. The Switch version is slightly over 40 gigs.
GTA5 83.9 gigs
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition (plus Episode Arwen) 83.9 gigs
Star Wars Battlefront II 83.7 gigs
Quantum Break 83.6 gigs (although you have to stream the cutscenes unless you download an additional free DLC pack that's I think something like 94 gigs)
Battlefield V: I don't have this installed but the store says it's 78 gigs
Battlefield 1: 74.9 gigs
Forza Horizon 4: 74.1 gigs
Assassin's Creed Origins with all DLC: 72.6 gigs (base game is 49 gigs)
Borderlands 3 with all DLC to date: 63.7 gigs (base game is 53.8 gigs)
Titanfall 2: 69 gigs
Fallout 4: 53.9 gigs
Tom Clancy's The Division 2: 64.2 gigs
DOOM: 60.8 gigs
RAGE 2: 56.6 gigs
Forza Horizon 3: 57.6 gigs
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus: 53.8 gigs
Mortal Kombat 11: 52.1 gigs (I imagine next week's DLC will increase this)

On my PS4 Pro, game filesize reporting can be wonky particularly for series titles (e.g. a Call of Duty game will add up the DLC from ALL installed CoD games) but here are some noteworthy games with what I'm fairly certain are the correct filesizes:

Gran Turismo Sport - 106.5 gigs
Final Fantasy VII Remake - 85.84 gigs (North American version, it's around 5 gigs smaller for Asian versions and 5 gigs larger for European versions)
The Last of Us Part II will span 2 discs.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 20, 2020