Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I enjoyed the RLM video but the last five minutes or so are spot loving on.

Man it would be cool if Strange New Worlds actually brings back the optimism.

Akiva Goldsmith told Variety that SNW would be more episodic and more optimistic. But take this with a grain of salt.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Where's the RLM thread? Coulda sworn I had it bookmarked.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is the RLM circle jerk thread.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It's here for some reason.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

GALACTIC TREATY

It’s the World Series of treaties

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Somehow I missed this and didn't see those details reported elsewhere. I am choosing to blindly believe that everything will be exactly as I hope despite the creative team, franchise history, and all other evidence to the contrary. I will only stop doing so post-quarantine, at which point my shriveled heart will no longer require Good Things to hold on to and I will at that point switch back to being a cynical jerk about it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That Plinkett video could have probably been edited down to 1/2 it's length without losing anything, but I think that video was more about Mike being really pissed about Picard than anything else.
Was still a good watch.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

galenanorth posted:

introducing a Borg Queen after that long without one and giving it so much focus broke immersion. It was transparent she was only there because the creators or executives thought that the viewership needed an enemy with a face, but a face representing a hivemind was a much more boring concept, like a lot of the other ways they changed the Borg. For anyone who has seen all of the She-Ra reboot, Horde Prime was better in the role of Borg Queen, except with using assimilation as a temporary conquering tool before genocide, instead of assimilating distinctiveness for the functionality of its diversity

Especially when Seven was introduced so they could talk to an individual rather than the collective as a whole, but in later episodes the Borg were just "gently caress it, talk directly to the Queen".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

That Plinkett video could have probably been edited down to 1/2 it's length without losing anything

Much like Picard!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So I never played Mass Effect and I had heard that Picard ripped off Mass Effect and I thought, oh, sure, sci-fi is always using similar themes and plot devices, no big deal, it's probably nothing, and then I watched the Mr. Plinkett review and decided to look at some Mass Effect stuff and Jesus loving Christ, how did they not realize people would notice they were shamelessly ripping off one of the most popular sci-fi things in recent memory?

I think it's got to be a Carlos Mencia situation. They're not deliberately ripping somebody else off. They're just too dumb to realize the ideas in their head came straight from somebody else.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Animal-Mother posted:

So I never played Mass Effect and I had heard that Picard ripped off Mass Effect and I thought, oh, sure, sci-fi is always using similar themes and plot devices, no big deal, it's probably nothing, and then I watched the Mr. Plinkett review and decided to look at some Mass Effect stuff and Jesus loving Christ, how did they not realize people would notice they were shamelessly ripping off one of the most popular sci-fi things in recent memory?

I think it's got to be a Carlos Mencia situation. They're not deliberately ripping somebody else off. They're just too dumb to realize the ideas in their head came straight from somebody else.

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers had kids who told them the story years ago when it happened and they totally forgot about that and just sorta synthesized it in their brain and thought they were coming up with a unique take. It's just amazing because of how hilariously blatant it is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

galenanorth posted:

introducing a Borg Queen after that long without one and giving it so much focus broke immersion. It was transparent she was only there because the creators or executives thought that the viewership needed an enemy with a face, but a face representing a hivemind was a much more boring concept,

I feel she should've been limited to First Contact and basically been the Borg experimenting with a new "Locutus" as a way to try and somewhat pacify targets before assimilation.

Essentially a diplomacy drone.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

feedmyleg posted:

Somehow I missed this and didn't see those details reported elsewhere. I am choosing to blindly believe that everything will be exactly as I hope despite the creative team, franchise history, and all other evidence to the contrary. I will only stop doing so post-quarantine, at which point my shriveled heart will no longer require Good Things to hold on to and I will at that point switch back to being a cynical jerk about it.

I guess that you could make the argument that since they are making a bazillion Star Trek spinoffs, the law of large numbers should start to apply and eventually a good one might eventually squeak through. We've seen similar poo poo for Star Wars - it's not like the Mandalorian was AMAZING, or even much better than "eh." But it wasn't embarrassing. Who knows?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watched most of the Plinkett review today and one thing that stuck out was how one of the directors was talking the importance of making the show "emotional." And that's a very weird thing to focus on because it's so easy and a natural byproduct of a story with stakes. It's like if you interviewed a musician and he said "the big thing with my next song is that it's GOT to have chords. So many chords. They're crucial"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Most stories with world-ending stakes, you just watch it with your mouth open and don't feel anything, but this one is going to have a lot of scenes of people turning away and weeping as someone's dying and it's going to be great.
     /
:v:  :hf: :10bux:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Animal-Mother posted:

To be fair Mass Effect itself was basically ripping off or paying homage to tons of already established sci-fi poo poo to begin with. And I say that with nothing but love for that game.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Architect: We're going to make absolutely sure to put rooms in this building. It's our belief that rooms are something a building should have
Building: Collapses, killing dozens

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

To be fair Mass Effect itself was basically ripping off or paying homage to tons of already established sci-fi poo poo to begin with. And I say that with nothing but love for that game.

Sure, but there are more than just broad thematic similarities. Mass Effect even did the exact same "visions of vaguely horrible stuff that makes you go crazy" thing. It's not just broad thematic similarities, it's very specific details that can't be a coincidence.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

precision posted:

Sure, but there are more than just broad thematic similarities. Mass Effect even did the exact same "visions of vaguely horrible stuff that makes you go crazy" thing. It's not just broad thematic similarities, it's very specific details that can't be a coincidence.

That has a very specific term, called 'theft'.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

precision posted:

Oh yeah, that was pretty loving bad, especially the way they did the imagery of the vision in a nearly identical fashion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah, that was pretty loving bad, especially the way they did the imagery of the vision in a nearly identical fashion.

I hadn't even seen that until the RLM video and I was like "are you loving kidding me"

So glad I bailed around episode 5

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DrNutt posted:

When you rip off ideas well and thoughtfully it's called pastiche.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just remember the old saying: "Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism."

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

It was similar to Mass Effect but the part when the not reapers show up and they're coming out of the hole with tentacles was some actual reapers poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Riker could have taken the space octopuses.

You gotta show them loving up a Constitution-class to establish how OP they are! Come on!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

precision posted:

Look, season 2 is going to have more action, more emotions, and Picard and crew will have to stop Reapers Synths Romulans The Borg Maybe all of them at once A new threat to the Federation by going on a suicide mission through The Omega Relay To the Center of the Galaxy!

It'll be more like the Star Trek you like and less like a popular video game franchise that the production staff will say they are in no way familiar with. Also, in unrelated news, Drew Karpyshyn is joining the writing staff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PostNouveau posted:

I'm pretty sure Riker could have taken the space octopuses.

You gotta show them loving up a Constitution-class to establish how OP they are! Come on!

You mean acting Captain Riker?

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
DURAS Jr runs into the shuttlecraft. We see an SFX shot as it races out of the LA SIRENA.

CAPTAIN RIOS
Dammit, I can't believe he got away.

PICARD, slightly out of breath from the chase, puts a friendly hand on his shoulder and smiles.

PICARD
What did I say about never giving up?

PICARD steps back. We see the 7 CHAOS EMERALDS start to fly around him as he slowly floats up off his feet, and then, suddenly, with a blinding flash, he morphs into SUPER PICARD.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Next season Martin Sheen shows up as the leader of section 31, and forces Picard to work for them to stop a mysterious threat that is kidnapping people from non-federation colonies without a trace. Every episode is Picard and co recruiting another Star Trek alumni.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 20, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Don’t forget Seth Green.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would unironically like to have Martin Sheen in a Trek role

He was good as the Illusive Man in ME2 but ME3 is another story.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

precision posted:

FWIW Chabon was actually asked about the Mass Effect stuff in one of the Q&As he did, and claimed he'd never heard of it.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

DrNutt posted:

This always kills me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCxAJdCZGg

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The decision to slap a glowing Starfleet logo on the synth is Questioned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The horror

*bashes own head in with a rock*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

there are people in the comments defending this

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Next season Martin Sheen shows up as the leader of section 31, and forces Picard to work for them to stop a mysterious threat that is kidnapping people from non-federation colonies without a trace. Every episode is Picard and co recruiting another Star Trek alumni.

Tbf this would be much better than season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Tbf this would be much better than season 1.

I was thinking the same while typing it haha, also watching TNG for more or less the first time and just watched "measure of a man" which was a hell of a set up for what turned out to be a pretty disappointing conclusion