Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seeing the reaction to Martha Hart's entirely legitimate grievances from certain wrestling fans has really made me mad. And honestly, seeing the absolute mess that the Hart family is it's hard to blame her for wanting nothing to do with the rest of them.

It was such an avoidable tragedy. Just loving greed and a stupid need for things to look a certain way.

And I know it's an irrelevant thing in the scheme of things but it's such an indictment on the WWE that all they could find for Owen Hart was an ironic retread of the Blue Blazer gimmick. He was so good. Not a great promo and not as big as they liked at the time but other than that there's really not much else you can say against Owen Hart as a pro wrestler. And that feud with Bret. Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

gently caress wwe and gently caress everyone involved in it, let this garbage company die

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I still can't believe that loving clasp they used. When they talked about a quick release thing, I assumed it was still some kind of carabiner that opened more easily and wasn't one of the locking carabiners. To see Martha hold up that thing and show how easily it released... just, gently caress.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Also it was wildly depressing and infuriating when Jericho started listing the guys who would come to WWE the year following Owen's death. He would absolutely had a career renaissance and probably have made a bunch of money so he could have retired even earlier.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

Bret is conspicuous by his absence in that one. I really hope he and Martha can figure their poo poo out someday. :/

What a grueling watch. That was just tough to get through. gently caress anybody who says Owen should be in WWE's fake-rear end garbage hall of fame.

Oh yeah and gently caress you, Mark Henry.

One of the most telling things about Bret and where his priorities lie is that, after everything Vince did to him and his family, he finally started working with the company again just so they wouldn't release an unflattering DVD documentary about him

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
When did “Bret meets Vince in a park after Montreal and brings his brother along for security” take place

I wonder if Bret getting his footage/photos back was in exchange for “start talking poo poo about Martha so WWE doesn’t look bad”

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Lucania posted:

Forbes had an article about this today:

Also:

ETA: In his book, Bret said that he was disappointed that she had settled, although he acknowledged that Ellie Hart's actions (stealing documents and giving them to the McMahon side) made the case more complicated for Martha. She called him to tell him the news, but refused to reveal the amount and also told him that getting his footage wasn't important enough. And then she went to the news to say that the Harts had worked against her and that Owen was a white sheep in a black family.

Thanks for this.

Certainly takes Bret down several notches in my mind. :(

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really wish I could see the alternate timeline where she didn't settle and this did wind up going to trial. To see Vince squirm on the stand trying to explain away all of this...

Did they mention specifically why she settled? I can't recall if they mentioned it, and they really just tied everything up quickly after a commercial break without a lot of details.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

One of the most telling things about Bret and where his priorities lie is that, after everything Vince did to him and his family, he finally started working with the company again just so they wouldn't release an unflattering DVD documentary about him

To be fair his issue was that they’d control basically his entire history as a wrestler, not just the lovely DVD they would have released.

This doesn’t really make it any better, just saying.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well gently caress. That police report really makes it sound like it was Owen's sillyass cape that killed him. The test (and the one rigger's testimony) would indicate the thing started choking him on the descent, Owen tried pulling at it and pulled the cheap release mechanism instead.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I really wish I could see the alternate timeline where she didn't settle and this did wind up going to trial. To see Vince squirm on the stand trying to explain away all of this...

Did they mention specifically why she settled? I can't recall if they mentioned it, and they really just tied everything up quickly after a commercial break without a lot of details.

She talked about this on Jericho's podcast. If I remember right, she settled because of Ellie Hart giving WWE their documents and, more importantly, WWE was going to drag everything out and do the typical corporation/rich rear end in a top hat tactic of dragging everything out long enough to bleed the plaintiff dry.

I distinctly remember her saying (paraphrasing) she was adamant about getting justice/accountability but realized that wasn't going to happen and the settlement was the best she could do.

e:

DeathChicken posted:

Well gently caress. That police report really makes it sound like it was Owen's sillyass cape that killed him. The test (and the one rigger's testimony) would indicate the thing started choking him on the descent, Owen tried pulling at it and pulled the cheap release mechanism instead.

That clip was never ever going to hold Owen's weight regardless of any extra pulling.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

I mean she settled because 18 million dollars will set her family up for generations, 18 million is how much the kid who Michael Jackson assaulted got after lawyer fees, it’s a massive number. If they had pursued further they’d be going up against lawyers who could find loopholes and ways to wriggle out of poo poo and draw the case on for years and years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Besides the lawyers dragging everything out, I have to imagine that the actual money isn't as satisfying for her as just taking money out of Vince's pocket.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

^ That's all what I figured, with WWE running the long game knowing they could pay for a long process and Martha couldn't. Such a great and not at all problematic legal system!

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Unperson_47 posted:

"I resent your tone."

God damnit, gently caress you, Vince. You piece of poo poo.

I got massive Trump vibes from this part. Classic deflection.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

goddamn that was a brutal watch, I had to take a few breaks.

gently caress Vince McMahon.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

owen was the only hart that wasn't a total mark for the business and wanted out. so of course the business killed him.

i hope the wwe dies, and vince [redacted]

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I guess I'll put this here?
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1263157748893650944

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Seeing all of the family videos and photos made me think of my daughter (4). I'm going to need to rewatch this because I felt so much for Martha. Paraphrasing here: "I instantly saw two clear paths from this." As a teen at the time of Owen's death I never understood how statements like that are such a big deal. I'm a parent now. I would not reach that better decision as quickly as she did.

PWT is now selling two new Owen Hart shirts. Proceeds go to the Owen Hart Foundation, which does amazing things. If you'd rather not support PWT, please send all money directly to the Owen Hart Foundation.

Once more for the people in the back

Coaaab posted:

gently caress vince mcmahon

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

forkboy84 posted:

And I know it's an irrelevant thing in the scheme of things but it's such an indictment on the WWE that all they could find for Owen Hart was an ironic retread of the Blue Blazer gimmick.
I would say it's very relevant. It started a chain of events that ultimately lead to Owen's untimely and completely needless death.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Because it bears repeating

Coaaab posted:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

someone elsewhere said there was no need to continue ribbing on sting since the wwf was well ahead of wcw at that point

but as sting vs triple h proved, vince is so loving petty

Coaaab posted:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

animeluva1 posted:

Seeing all of the family videos and photos made me think of my daughter (4). I'm going to need to rewatch this because I felt so much for Martha. Paraphrasing here: "I instantly saw two clear paths from this." As a teen at the time of Owen's death I never understood how statements like that are such a big deal. I'm a parent now. I would not reach that better decision as quickly as she did.

PWT is now selling two new Owen Hart shirts. Proceeds go to the Owen Hart Foundation, which does amazing things. If you'd rather not support PWT, please send all money directly to the Owen Hart Foundation.

Once more for the people in the back

PWT's site is down because of everyone wanting Owen shirts.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Wasn't the return of the Blue Blazer gimmick a punishment for him turning down some seedy garbage involving Debra?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

probably was a punishment. i know he had zero interest in doing the adultery gimmick with debra, and we all know that vince decides on a whim whether standing up to him works in your favor or not.

double gently caress vince mcmahon

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think it needs reiterating just how hosed up of a decision it was to keep the show going after Owen’s death. I’m reminded of when the cricketer Phil Hughes was hit by the ball during a match and was hospitalised but died two days later. The game he was playing in was immediately abandoned following the hit and the other State games being played at the same time were called off at the end of that day. This was all before Hughes had died (although things didn’t look good, obviously).

I’ve read all the excuses for why the show continued and they’re all bullshit as far as I can tell.

Seams fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 20, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then they sent Jeff Jarrett, by most accounts Owen's best friend, out there to wrestle next to a big puddle of his blood.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Haven't watched the ep yet, but Martha tell the story about how the company sent a wreath to Owen's funeral, and it had a giant WWF logo in it?

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1263200247766867969?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 20, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I have to imagine Vince's response to tragedies is always "How could they do this to me?"

Benoit kills his family and himself, setting off months of intense media scrutiny and changes to the industry? "How could he do this to me? I rescued him from WCW, he never told me he was sad!"

Martha's suing? "How could she do this to me? I said I was sad and did a tribute show!"

Bret refusing to drop the belt to Shawn? "How could he do this to me? I let him go to WCW!"

Eddie, Crash, Hawk, Bulldog, Perfect, Bossman, etc. dying at a young age, raising suspicions about the long term health of wrestlers = "How could they do this to me? Why didn't they take better care of themselves?"

Snuka controversy returns? "How could they do this to me? That was over 30 years ago!"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
349,000 total viewers (previous high was 320,000 for Benoit).

0.18% rating in the key demo (previous high was 0.14% for Benoit; last week's NXT did a 0.15% rating in the demo).

31st highest rated premiere on cable in the key demo all day Tuesday. (Previous high was 68th place for the Road Warriors episode last week.)

Yeeeeeeaaaah, it looks like we're getting a third season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Have to imagine the Eddie ep is a lock for season 3

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress Vince McMahon forever and gently caress the WWE period

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Have to imagine the Eddie ep is a lock for season 3

Is there more to say after the Benoit episodes?

Bulldog, on the other hand...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has Nattie ever publicly stated who's side she goes towards in all of this?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Doesn't really answer your question but Bret has accompanied her to the ring on a few occasions

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At this point they're basically paying Nattie to not sue them over the Tyson Kidd thing. She's probably smart enough to keep quiet.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Benne posted:

At this point they're basically paying Nattie to not sue them over the Tyson Kidd thing. She's probably smart enough to keep quiet.

What thing? The injury? Stopping him and Cesaro from using The UpperCats as a tag team name?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Benne posted:

I forgot about that. You're probably right.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Red posted:

What thing? The injury? Stopping him and Cesaro from using The UpperCats as a tag team name?

Tyson broke his neck on a random dark match he was forced into at the last minute. Nobody checked on him backstage and Nattie had to drive him to the hospital when the pain got worse. It ended up being a near-fatal injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Haven't watched the ep yet, but Martha tell the story about how the company sent a wreath to Owen's funeral, and it had a giant WWF logo in it?

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1263200247766867969?s=20

here it is

https://twitter.com/wonf4w/status/1263222981989298179?s=21