Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

euphronius posted:

What is special about the date seed?

Both sets of ores, both evil biomes, different music, dungeon is in a tree, few other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

id like to refer to your avatar

I'm not mad or anything, I just think it's the dumbest hill to die on. Why defend a lovely mechanic? Like, it's not that bad, but... why does it have to be bad at all?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vasudus posted:

the endless meatgrinder that was Skeletron Prime or The Destroyer when you barely have any hardmode equipment

how were skeleton and the destroyer easier than twins for you

e: you can make a sky platform with a 2 tile gap in the floor and shoot endlessly and the destroyer will circle around under you forever

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Let's all agree to disagree: it's a bad change, and people are overreacting to it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sailor Dave posted:

Edit: Also yeah it seems weird that if Red really doesn't like people using torches where they shouldn't be, why didn't he just make it so that holding shift places the correct biome torch instead of making you shuffle your inventory around whenever you go to a new biome?

Was just about to say this. The solution is so simple, just convert regular torches to their biome specific one as you place them.

I think it says a lot about Red's prickly personality that he would choose to punish most players for not conforming to his aesthetics than finding a more rational and painless solution.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Terraria, created by Andrew "At least i'm not Tiyuri" Spinks

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how were skeleton and the destroyer easier than twins for you

e: you can make a sky platform with a 2 tile gap in the floor and shoot endlessly and the destroyer will circle around under you forever

I don't know, I used a minishark w/ crystal bullets on The Twins with a really long runway and it panned out okay, took like 4 attempts. That's hilarious about The Destroyer though, I'll have to try that.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sailor Dave posted:

If you have a biome torch and a regular torch next to each other, does it pick the closest one, or does it add the bonus and malus together?

Edit: Also yeah it seems weird that if Red really doesn't like people using torches where they shouldn't be, why didn't he just make it so that holding shift places the correct biome torch instead of making you shuffle your inventory around whenever you go to a new biome?

I think it actually does do this already. If you have a biome torch and a regular torch in inventory the auto best hotkey will pick the biome torch automatically. I noticed this before the torch luck thing got posted and it annoyed me because I don't like the look of biome torches, so I started trashing them to make it use regular ones.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gadzuko posted:

I think it actually does do this already. If you have a biome torch and a regular torch in inventory the auto best hotkey will pick the biome torch automatically. I noticed this before the torch luck thing got posted and it annoyed me because I don't like the look of biome torches, so I started trashing them to make it use regular ones.

Nope. It places whatever torch is closest to the upper left, in rows, then columns. (or is it columns, then rows?) Just tried it with a 2x2 grid of jungle, ice, bone, desert and it happily placed jungle in every biome.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok I skipped 2 pages you guys aren't still talking about torches are you

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Terraria 1.4: Journey's End, the real Torchlight III

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Terraria 1.4: Wrong Torchlight

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If it just rewarded you for using biome torches but didn't punish you for using normal torches it would be fine and even kinda cool and would be more than enough to encourage people to use their biome torches.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Torch this thread

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ouch, that hurts

I must say, unsurprisingly the dupe menu has sorta burned me out. With unlimited money and ore so easy to get, I'm in a weird place now with the difficulty turned up and spawn rate turned up a bit, I take too much damage with full crimantine while not really being able to do enough effectively to deal with larger groups. I managed to beat EoC and BoC, I dont look forward to skeletron though. I've been exploring the map a little more today to try and find some missing accessories. But I desperately need to do more damage. The soul items needed to craft the better gear are in hard mode aren't they? I found a sword that casts down stars but they are too slow and hard to aim. Minishark takes too many hits to kill anything but the absolute peons. Meatball is alright but still doesn't knock back stuff enough to prevent damage.

I made my first apartment complex a pyramid shape, and people seem to get "stuck" in one side and stack on each other until I talk to one after the other which makes them move. Is the happiness thing new with 1.4? I'm gonna gently caress with that soon and put people where they should be, and properly lay out my own house instead of the albatross I have now.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Nope. It places whatever torch is closest to the upper left, in rows, then columns. (or is it columns, then rows?) Just tried it with a 2x2 grid of jungle, ice, bone, desert and it happily placed jungle in every biome.

Oh, that's disappointing. It would be a good change. I guess I will just stick with regular torches and use the good ones for any arenas I set up

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is there a mage equivalent to the super sword made out of a bunch of swords? Dunno to chase next after I finish the cell phone. I've got full Nebula armor with both lunar magic weapons.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

codo27 posted:

Ouch, that hurts

I must say, unsurprisingly the dupe menu has sorta burned me out. With unlimited money and ore so easy to get, I'm in a weird place now with the difficulty turned up and spawn rate turned up a bit, I take too much damage with full crimantine while not really being able to do enough effectively to deal with larger groups. I managed to beat EoC and BoC, I dont look forward to skeletron though. I've been exploring the map a little more today to try and find some missing accessories. But I desperately need to do more damage. The soul items needed to craft the better gear are in hard mode aren't they? I found a sword that casts down stars but they are too slow and hard to aim. Minishark takes too many hits to kill anything but the absolute peons. Meatball is alright but still doesn't knock back stuff enough to prevent damage.

I made my first apartment complex a pyramid shape, and people seem to get "stuck" in one side and stack on each other until I talk to one after the other which makes them move. Is the happiness thing new with 1.4? I'm gonna gently caress with that soon and put people where they should be, and properly lay out my own house instead of the albatross I have now.

the star launcher deals sick damage and with the dupe menu ammo is no issue.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Huh you guys use torches past the first day or two? I just throw glowsticks around and use a miner's hat until I get more permanent personal lighting.

Now knowing about this mechanic I see it as a buff not a penalty past the very first dug out area which I tend to not go by much (usually a hellavator anyways).

I'll set up future arenas with the right torches. I usually used campfires for regen/extra light but tossing some torches in would make sense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm so annoyed that I used all my item luck getting a slime staff drop from literally the second enemy I killed on Journey mode where you already start with a summon anyways :negative:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kalas posted:

Huh you guys use torches past the first day or two? I just throw glowsticks around and use a miner's hat until I get more permanent personal lighting.

Now knowing about this mechanic I see it as a buff not a penalty past the very first dug out area which I tend to not go by much (usually a hellavator anyways).

I'll set up future arenas with the right torches. I usually used campfires for regen/extra light but tossing some torches in would make sense.

Torches are permanent signposts saying "I've explored over here already" so ... yeah? I think most people just spam torches wherever they go, no?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Torches are permanent signposts saying "I've explored over here already" so ... yeah? I think most people just spam torches wherever they go, no?

So is an uncovered map.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Someone will hopefully mod that dumb torch mechanic out very soon, hopefully the devs actually patch it out or at least make regular torches neutral because man that's a lovely idea.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kalas posted:

So is an uncovered map.

Yeah, but the minimap is not great and it also is just nicer to see more of the map on the main screen especially when there are enemies incoming from those areas. There was no real downside to torch spam before except "it takes resources" but torches are basically infinite.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

God damnit I don't need any more titan gloves, I need literally any of the other mimic drops...

I think I used all my luck getting a sweet unicorn mount from my first trip into the Hallow.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Deformed Church posted:

I think I used all my luck getting a sweet unicorn mount from my first trip into the Hallow.

Time to grab a jousting lance

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oops, back when someone requested a thread title change I alerted a mod, and then forgot to send in a "whoops please disregard" after discussion moved to starting over with a new thread. I guess this can be the 1.4 thread though? The OP is still good. Maybe a little note about 1.4 and Journey Mode would suffice. The pagecount won't be starting over, but that will quickly be a non-issue to navigate through. I guess the only downside is how it affects Google results. Or if people want to navigate to the early 1.4 launch posts, but that can be done through an OP as well.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm taking the :effort: route. Which means not touching the OP unless the discord invite breaks.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

codo27 posted:

Ouch, that hurts

Sounds like you might not be ready for Expert mode. It's a huge step up from even late-game non-expert mode. I think to experience the game as designed and intended at this stage you might want to dial the difficulty back? And if you've been turning it up and down frequently maybe just don't attempt that anymore and you'll have more fun that way. The expert item drops are not crucial for gameplay at all, and were originally meant to be an added reward for people approaching speedrun level skills.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalas posted:

I put up torches so I know where I've already been.

But from what it sounds like I only need to be careful in the ice biome.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 20, 2020

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

codo27 posted:

Ouch, that hurts

what an insane amount of torches

quote:

I must say, unsurprisingly the dupe menu has sorta burned me out. With unlimited money and ore so easy to get, I'm in a weird place now with the difficulty turned up and spawn rate turned up a bit, I take too much damage with full crimantine while not really being able to do enough effectively to deal with larger groups. I managed to beat EoC and BoC, I dont look forward to skeletron though. I've been exploring the map a little more today to try and find some missing accessories. But I desperately need to do more damage. The soul items needed to craft the better gear are in hard mode aren't they? I found a sword that casts down stars but they are too slow and hard to aim.
Starfury? It owns for early game surface combat. Being able to sit in a bunker and kill everything outside is not to be underestimated. It's especially useful for whittling down harpies from safety. And even in late game / hardmode, it retains its usefulness in revealing caves.

quote:

Minishark takes too many hits to kill anything but the absolute peons.
Even on master mode, the Minishark is still quite useful for single and moderate groups of enemies. That and silver bullets is how I killed Skeletron on master mode yesterday, with a moderate sized arena.

If you have hordes, you might want to swap to grenades or a good bow with jester arrows.

quote:

Meatball is alright but still doesn't knock back stuff enough to prevent damage.
May I suggest you check out the Demolitionist's wares? Grenades are a great way to do chunk damage early on and also have crazy knockback. I pretty much always keep a stack handy. Or two or three stacks. Can't have enough of them.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Question for folks. I saved an image of my map to confirm a suspicion and it looks like my entire snow biome is covered in corruption. Is this going to be A Problem as I get further into the game? I know people say that you need to protect the Jungle from corruption but I haven't heard anything about snow. The last time I played extensively the snow biome didn't even spawn on my map.

My Jungle also has a lot of corruption in it. I'm on Journey mode so I turned off biome spread for now. Do I need to be worried and take countermeasures? Am I overreacting and okay to turn spread back on?

Snow Closeup

Jungle Closeup

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm willing to bet that there's something wrong with how corruption is spawning in worldgen right now. My spawn is flanked on either side by two pretty sizeable corruption biomes. As for your jungle normally I'd say don't worry, but you're probably going to lose the whole surface jungle before you take down a mechanical boss.

Turning off infection spreading is the right move here.

EDIT: Corruption destroys the Jungle. Corrupted snow biomes are just snow biomes that spawn corrupt enemies and snow stuff.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Corruption has always spawned like this, and 95% of the time you need to prep your world a bit for hardmode, or you can just suck it up and yolo.

Not everything needs to be perfect in a world.

Edit: That jungle is going to suck but it is very fixable by building some trenches.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm willing to bet that there's something wrong with how corruption is spawning in worldgen right now. My spawn is flanked on either side by two pretty sizeable corruption biomes. As for your jungle normally I'd say don't worry, but you're probably going to lose the whole surface jungle before you take down a mechanical boss.

Turning off infection spreading is the right move here.

EDIT: Corruption destroys the Jungle. Corrupted snow biomes are just snow biomes that spawn corrupt enemies and snow stuff.

Corrupt snow is the only source for https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Pedguin%27s_set

e : nvm, I guess you oculd just wait for a blood moon. ignore me

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Corruption has always spawned like this, and 95% of the time you need to prep your world a bit for hardmode, or you can just suck it up and yolo.

Not everything needs to be perfect in a world.

Edit: That jungle is going to suck but it is very fixable by building some trenches.

So basically just build 3 block wide hellevators around the corruption and I should be good to turn corruption spread back on?

Do I need to do the same in the ice world? I want to make sure Santa has somewhere to live :ohdear:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You can but you can also just use the clentaminator to purify snow and ice if it gets too corrupted. The issue with the Jungle is that once it's been corrupted, purifying it with the clentaminator will just turn it into regular forest iirc.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The revamped flamelash in 1.4 is sick. Homing with great tracking, piercing, good damage. It's like the perfect weapon for dealing with all those bats and demons in the underworld. It looks cool too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Augus posted:

You can but you can also just use the clentaminator to purify snow and ice if it gets too corrupted. The issue with the Jungle is that once it's been corrupted, purifying it with the clentaminator will just turn it into regular forest iirc.
The jungle will fight back against corruption these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Just got back into this game. (For obvious reasons)

How me, a player, mine hellstone without burnings? Obsidian skull???