Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Just got back into this game. (For obvious reasons)

How me, a player, mine hellstone without burnings? Obsidian skull???
You'll want an obsidian skin potion too. EDIT: or a lava charm or one of the things you build out of it, but the obsidian skin potion will work better if you're wding through the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, alright, I agree that the torch luck thing is pretty dumb. I've been browsing the Terraria subreddit and found this 'lovely' 'gem' of a comment (which also got downvoted to hell).

quote:

It's not that dramatic, it takes a LOT of luck one way or the other to have any significant impact. The stat is actually pretty underpowered and only serves to change up RNG in a superstitious way. What kind of mad man puts regular torches in the ice biome anyway?

:what:

'pretty underpowered' ''superstitious way'. 20% reduction in drops is not 'superstitious'.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zereth posted:

The jungle will fight back against corruption these days.

Correct, in fact Chlorophyte will directly prevent Corruption spread. Still a good idea to help your jungle along but I can guarantee you will not lose your entire jungle.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ambaire posted:

Yeah, alright, I agree that the torch luck thing is pretty dumb. I've been browsing the Terraria subreddit and found this 'lovely' 'gem' of a comment (which also got downvoted to hell).

:what:

'pretty underpowered' ''superstitious way'. 20% reduction in drops is not 'superstitious'.

wait wtf? 1/65535 is superstitious 1/5 is MASSIVE

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Where is the "20% drop rate decrease" number even coming from? My interpretation of it from reading the wiki fits with:

Samopsa posted:

So, if you're looking for a drop that normally occurs in 10% of the cases, your -0.1 luck stat will lead to 10% chance of halving that chance.
9 times 10% chance + 1 times 5% chance divided by 10 times = 9.5% chance overall (lowering the chance by 0.5%)

If the base chance of dropping is 1% this bad luck will lead to an overall drop rate of 0.95% instead (lowering the chance by 0.05%)

SO! the worst effect of spamming torches everwhere will lead to a drop rate reduction that is very small, as to be unnoticable in regular play.

... which is hardly worth the shitfit some people seem to be throwing over it. I've played about 20 hours since the update dropped, most of that on Master/Hardcore and I haven't felt like I've been getting a low amount of drops at all despite pretty much only using regular torches.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Who cares about drops, getting disadvantage on all damage rolls from an improperly lit boss arena sucks.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Also someone else said "And the game checks PER FRAME to see what your luck is, making it laggy as hell." ... is that true? Might be a reason for some of the bad multiplayer performance sometimes...

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ambaire posted:

Also someone else said "And the game checks PER FRAME to see what your luck is, making it laggy as hell." ... is that true? Might be a reason for some of the bad multiplayer performance sometimes...

That was a guess, is not confirmed. And I doubt that would lag much anyways.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

i vomit kittens posted:

Where is the "20% drop rate decrease" number even coming from? My interpretation of it from reading the wiki fits with:

... which is hardly worth the shitfit some people seem to be throwing over it. I've played about 20 hours since the update dropped, most of that on Master/Hardcore and I haven't felt like I've been getting a low amount of drops at all despite pretty much only using regular torches.

The ice biome, specifically, has four times the effect for some reason. That part is probably a bug.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
a .5% reduction of 10% is not a .5% reduction, it is a 5% reduction

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh my god. Are you people doing the classic beginner math mistake where you read 0.05% as the same as 5%? It's the devs' faults for not understanding just how bad most players are at understanding numbers. In the above analysis, the modifiers that come from luck seem small enough to only matter to people who are on pace to set a world speed record.

Seconding the question of where the number "one in five" came from as well

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Seconding the question of where the number "one in five" came from as well

the poster just above says that it's 4x greater in the ice zone due to a bug, in which case then yeah that's a 20% reduction on a 10% rate

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

The White Dragon posted:

the poster just above says that it's 4x greater in the ice zone due to a bug, in which case then yeah that's a 20% reduction on a 10% rate

no that's a misconception.
Normal torches in the ice biome confer a -2 to the luck modifier. (see: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck)

If your luck modifier is -2 or lower, your actual luck stat will be -0.3.

There's a (-100 * luck)% chance that a roll is halved when it is affected by luck. That's -100*-0.3 = 30% chance of a halved roll.

So, if something has a chance of 10% (for instance a semi-rare drop), now it will have a chance of ( 7*10% + 3*5% )/10 = 8.5%. That's a reduction of 1.5 percentage points (or a 15% lower chance of getting the drop compared to neutral luck). It also affects damage rolls, and the largest effect it can have (the absolute worst case scenario) is a 5% drop in DPS.

So, in the absolute worst cases imaginable you're looking at a 5% drop in damage and taking a couple of minutes extra to find the stuff you want.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what's the opposite side? do you get a boost for good luck, and is it the same % up?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's spelled out on the page, my friend.

Torch Scores posted:

If positive score ≥ 1, overall luck gets +0.2.
If 0 < positive score < 1, overall luck gets +0.1.
If 0 < negative score < 1, overall luck gets -0.1.
If 1 ≤ negative score < 2, overall luck gets -0.2.
If negative score ≥ 2, overall luck gets -0.3.

Other things that influence luck:

quote:

Ladybug Luck
(Maximum: +0.2 / Minimum: -0.2)

Ladybug luck relates to interactions with Ladybugs, as well as a few other NPCs.

Torch Luck
(Maximum: +0.2 / Minimum: -0.3) (see above)

Luck Potions
(Maximum: +0.3 / Minimum: 0)

Lantern Nights
(Maximum: +0.3 / Minimum: 0)
Lantern Nights increase luck by a flat rate of 0.3.

Garden Gnomes
(Maximum: +0.2 / Minimum: 0)
If the player has a garden gnome nearby, luck will be increased by a flat rate of 0.2.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'd been checking travelling merchants for days for the dynasty stuff. Finally i found one with it and i was trading with him but he'd fallen into a puddle and died before i could buy anything, the dumb rear end in a top hat!

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

absolutely pissed that i statistically may have to kill 105 cave bats to get a depth meter drop instead of 100. criminal devs should have their game making licenses revojed

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've got a poo poo ton of hours in this but I barely remember anything besides the fact the early game can be tedious. Thus, I started under journey mode and the starter poo poo is appreciated but goddamn I remember being much, much faster at movement. Is there a pair of boots I need to craft? I remember hooks being necessary eventually...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Go find the components for this thing: https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Lightning_Boots

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Even if it was a 0.000001% reduction, does it have ANY reason to exist as a mechanic besides Redigit being mad at people using the wrong colored torches? If not, then it's a bad mechanic and should be removed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

1.4.0.3 will remove Unlucky Torches from the game but will compensate by adding in Weapon Durability and Marauder Shields

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

quote:

TERRARIA: JOURNEY'S END HOTFIX CHANGELOGS

CURRENT: Version 1.4.0.3

I. Changes/Additions

Removed Bad torch luck

Hooray!

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-journeys-end-hotfix-changelog.89153/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okay, please, everyone shut the hell up about the torch thing now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mispoke, the weapon durability and marauder shields will be in 1.4.0.4

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Who knew 3 pages of posting could make the world change to fast!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

"Increased Prismatic Lacewing spawn rate significantly"

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

For you other journey mode players,

Are you researching everything or only the things you intend to duplicate or need in the future?

I've been keeping my research pretty basic so far (metal bars, gems, pylons, wood, stars) but wonder if I should just fill it out and use the filters instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

Are you researching everything or only the things you intend to duplicate or need in the future?

I've been keeping my research pretty basic so far (metal bars, gems, pylons, wood, stars) but wonder if I should just fill it out and use the filters instead.
Everything and using filters, yeah.

poo poo, I'm building out entire sets of furniture just in case I want to use them later.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

I research everything in case I want to use it later.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

I found doing everything now was a little too tedious, so now I'll only research something craftable from basic materials when I need it the first time. I do research everything that ends up in my inventory as I'm exploring, though.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

I research as much as I can unless it's stuff like armor I'm never coming back to or I just forget.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh god I was just about to farm that critter too. Hooray.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like most going for the full research then but at least I'm not alone :)

Trying to work on building out my potion research, but need to grow more herbs first to make more potions, and at that point not sure if I should just research the lot of it.

It did give me a reason to update my forest base with a secret underground grow room.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

Looks like most going for the full research then but at least I'm not alone :)

Trying to work on building out my potion research, but need to grow more herbs first to make more potions, and at that point not sure if I should just research the lot of it.

It did give me a reason to update my forest base with a secret underground grow room.

Find Herb Bags, research herb bags, open infinite herb bags, research infinite herbs, etc.

Research everything you possibly can. Research the world :getin:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I definitely research everything because I have always been a complete hoarder when playing Terraria and not needing to have dozens of chests full of random crap sitting around makes the game experience so much more pleasant to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

Research the herbs!

Or find two herb bags and research those and open them until you have enough to research the herbs and skip bothering to grow anything!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cardiovorax posted:

I definitely research everything because I have always been a complete hoarder when playing Terraria and not needing to have dozens of chests full of random crap sitting around makes the game experience so much more pleasant to me.

this is one of the biggest advantages of the research function, honestly

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Still gonna build a big greenhouse, though, because I like growing things and it looks nice.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's nice being able to build things and make them look nice purely for the purpose of looking nice instead of having to give a poo poo about space for chests and whatnot. like i want to make a small, underground city to house some npcs and i'm going to plant a bunch of gem trees to make it look pretty. not because i want/need more gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

need to grow more herbs first to make more potions,

Find two herb bags in overworld chests.

E:f;b. Twice.