Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Would people mind posting pictures of their NPC homes/villages? Creative building isn't my strong suit and I'm looking for some inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Herb bags was my original intent but I only ever found one in, my world and was too lazy to search in another one.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Sailor Dave posted:

Would people mind posting pictures of their NPC homes/villages? Creative building isn't my strong suit and I'm looking for some inspiration.

npc holding pen while i build more specialized housing. i like designing structures around the landscape rather than terraforming them, and this world had an interesting spot to build not far from a floating island, so i went with a living wood/glass/cloud theme. the big bridge doesn't match the apartments b/c i built it before i had a theme for the apartments in mind

little palmwood angler shack

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Goonlandia is updated to 1.4.0.3 and back online!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Changes/Additions:
Removed bad torch luck
Hah!

Draax
Oct 12, 2011
Anyone interested in a fresh non-journey, no dupe Master mode server? Something brutal, where accomplishments mean something lol

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Sailor Dave posted:

Spawn location base; I want to build a few more things off to the side. Merchant shop, storage room, greenhouse.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
^ Wow! I have no idea how to place special walls like those pillars. Looks great!

The bridge in the build above it is also gorgeous and mystery black art to me

Raptor1033 posted:

I've got a poo poo ton of hours in this but I barely remember anything besides the fact the early game can be tedious. Thus, I started under journey mode and the starter poo poo is appreciated but goddamn I remember being much, much faster at movement. Is there a pair of boots I need to craft? I remember hooks being necessary eventually...

Your computer might be having FPS issues, like mine. For me it manifested as walking much, much slower than I know the early game speed to be.

I was advised to press f10 for FPS readout, or if that doesn't work, activate universal FPS counter through steam (Steam -> Settings -> In-Game -> In-Game FPS). See if it's in fact low.

Draax posted:

Anyone interested in a fresh non-journey, no dupe Master mode server? Something brutal, where accomplishments mean something lol

I hope this happens around the time I finish straightening out my computers!

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 21, 2020

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Cranking the spawn rate way up is fun for the early game when it's generally really boring.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

quote:

Fixed an issue where wearing Moon Lord Legs and Frog Legs at the same time would give you no legs at all
this patch sux

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rewarding you for good torch matching without penalising you for bad torches is much better design.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it's telling how quickly that was patched back out and I'm much happier with it now.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Punishing wrong torch could still be ok... If the default torch was, neutral at least, that's the big error in how, it was set up

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SirSamVimes posted:

Rewarding you for good torch matching without penalising you for bad torches is much better design.

Yeah, they did the old World Of Warcraft numbers switcheroo

Nobody likes secret penalties, everybody likes secret buffs

E: If you could make / buy "Tossing Bones" as an inventory item that tells you your current luck I'd be 100% on board even with negatives, gently caress it, them for torch luck, tarot cards for inventory luck, a rabbit's foot for combat luck, slap 'em together into a Holistic Detective Manual and make a New Agey Bullshit App upgrade for the Smart Phone

Somfin fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 21, 2020

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Thanks, turned some settings down and now it feels a bit better. Guess I expected too much out of this l'il guy.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Somfin posted:

Yeah, they did the old World Of Warcraft numbers switcheroo

Nobody likes secret penalties, everybody likes secret buffs

It's not at all like the WoW switcheroo, as the numbers actually changed.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Raptor1033 posted:

Thanks, turned some settings down and now it feels a bit better. Guess I expected too much out of this l'il guy.

Oh my god that was it? I wonder how many players are just quietly dealing with this and have no idea that walking isn't supposed to be such a slow slog

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
A fun little side effect is now all the sudden I have little clouds popping out of my double jump that weren't there before

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Sailor Dave posted:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

I definitely research everything because I have always been a complete hoarder when playing Terraria and not needing to have dozens of chests full of random crap sitting around makes the game experience so much more pleasant to me.

...Are you me?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Journey Mode's research function is like a garbage can with a helpful man inside, it's great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Jesus christ, the endgame poo poo does *not* gently caress around. I cranked it back down to normal from expert on bosses because the Empress of Light is a complete nightmare. I just do not understand how I'm expected to do...anything really.

On the other hand, the Chain Gun with Chlorophyte bullets :getin:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Empress legit feels like its meant to be fought around the same time as the duke, its also got some issues with the line attacks being a bit slower than that kind of attack should be, making it trickier to dodge. On the other hand the weapons you get off of her are quite powerful, including the best whip in the game and my favorite sword in the whole game.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Has anyone used the graveyard shovel that mines in a 3x3 block on soft dirts that is made in the graveyard biome? Seems good to hollow out jungle space and in heck.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Has anyone used the graveyard shovel that mines in a 3x3 block on soft dirts that is made in the graveyard biome? Seems good to hollow out jungle space and in heck.

I made it and I think its terrible they lock such a useful item behind such an obtuse and hidden mechanic. The shovel makes digging in certain areas sooooooo much easier, and gathering things like sand for a truckload of glass a breeze. Early game building can actually be pretty tolerable if you use it alongside the fish equipment.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'll have to grab that shovel tomorrow. Lack of an item/pickup filter and the drudgery of early digging are the worst parts of the game as a whole imo.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

I'm too lazy to build settlements for pylons yet so everyone lives here and hate each other.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I made it and I think its terrible they lock such a useful item behind such an obtuse and hidden mechanic. The shovel makes digging in certain areas sooooooo much easier, and gathering things like sand for a truckload of glass a breeze. Early game building can actually be pretty tolerable if you use it alongside the fish equipment.

If the guide didn't show you recipes to make on X crafting station and "ecto mist" i would have never really known graveyard biome was even a crafting requirement. I had to look at the wiki to find out what "ecto mist" is...

Draax
Oct 12, 2011
I have a fresh Master Mode, SSC, Large world server going live 5/21 at 12:30pm EST. Server info will be posted then if you want to join.

Gotta love slimes hitting for 40. This will be loving brutal without help, teamwork makes the dream work. Boss fights will be nothing short of epic.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

watho posted:

does it make the game worse or does it make your current situation worse? if you knew about it from the start would using the correct torches actually make your game experience worse?

e:^ do you have a problem with any of the other opaque stuff in the game tho? genuine question

I don't like the lighting from other torches.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
master mode has been easier than going through the calamity mod so far for me. the early game is wild, but once you get a few weapons the bosses aren't too much worse than their expert difficulty counterparts

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It would be super funny if the patch notes said "torch luck is gone" but they didn't actually change anything.

This was also funny.

ps calamity seemed interesting, in practice is it just one of those annoying "the game needs to be longer" mods like xcom long war was without the modifier that made it less long, or is it actually alright?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 21, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

calamity is v good imo, a lot of the bosses it adds are super fun to fight and it adds a lot of really cool items. it is difficult but it does let you customize the difficulty a bit and it almost never feels unfair to me

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
Yeah I really enjoyed calamity, only really tricky thing was understanding how to move around bosses is a little more complicated and sort of unintuitive, like you want to fall and rise quite slowly for supreme calamitas or move in a U for yharon.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Even the devil needs the Ol' Classic for his patio.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Anyone up for a bit of an experiment? a Journeymode server with settings locked to:

No god mode
No time/weather alteration
Master difficulty
3x spawn rate, increased to 5x once hardmode is activated
7x spawns for end-game encounters

With journey mode, people coming into the server beyond the initial build-up period can easily get up to speed with more advanced players, and be able to help tackle the ridiculous challenge a 5x spawn rate offers.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Someone on Reddit went into the new torch luck code and the negative stuff is still there, it's just that if your overall torch luck is negative, it gets set to 0. It effectively means that bad torches will counter out the effects of good torches, but it won't cause you an overall problem (which is fine)

It's also worth noting that torch luck is always 0 in the dungeon, temple and anywhere on the surface or above, so don't waste time worrying about it there.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Draax posted:

I have a fresh Master Mode, SSC, Large world server going live 5/21 at 12:30pm EST. Server info will be posted then if you want to join.

Gotta love slimes hitting for 40. This will be loving brutal without help, teamwork makes the dream work. Boss fights will be nothing short of epic.

Server side characters? Sounds awesome. Are you doing any checking of the world before hosting it? Evil type, locations (so they don't gently caress up the special biomes), maybe some large tree clusters and such?

Will definitely be in on that as soon as it comes up. Even made a new character just for it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Make it a 160520 seed so it has crimson and corruption. :getin:

definitely goin to get in on that if i have time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sailor Dave posted:

Only just started (haven't even killed any bosses) so it isn't anywhere near finished, but I've been working on this reverse snowglobe: