Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's probably done in a glove box manufactured in the early 50s that failed in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

eh etching serial numbers into lumps of plutonium seems pretty common judging by pictures i've seen, it's probably part of manufacturing or something. i assume it's done in a glove box and the dust is all collected but who knows

Part of the citation from this picture was poor handling of the rods even prior to the pictures being taken, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was just a guy etching rods with a mask on.

Shame Boy posted:

that's assuming nothing nearby (like your squishy water-filled human body) is reflecting or moderating or anything

Would need to be arranged a little worse to really cause that, but either way it was badly thought out by whoever did it.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
this is for sure a very juvenile question but

i'm going to participate in a small ctf next week and was curious if anyone had any good suggestions for introductory background reading and/or tools i should start researching to get a handle on how to solve/investigate practical problems. i have the vague peripheral awareness of the kinds of security issues that plague software and systems, but uh, it's not my day job and i've never had to do very much with it. but dangit i want to learn.

installed burp toolkit and feeling about as elite as installing programs for aol that turn your text into leetspeak once did

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

psiox posted:

i'm going to participate in a small ctf next week and was curious if anyone had any good suggestions for introductory background reading and/or tools i should start researching to get a handle on how to solve/investigate practical problems. i have the vague peripheral awareness of the kinds of security issues that plague software and systems, but uh, it's not my day job and i've never had to do very much with it. but dangit i want to learn.

installed burp toolkit and feeling about as elite as installing programs for aol that turn your text into leetspeak once did

on the practical side, last i checked https://www.hackthebox.eu/ was still the best free pentest lab, but someone else might have a better suggestion

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

psiox posted:

Best way to prepare for a CTF is to do CTF challenges. I recommend picoCTF for beginners. Pick a challenge that looks fun to do. Try to solve it yourself without spoilers at first but don't be ashamed to read write-ups of challenges for hints if you get stuck. The important thing is to have fun and to learn something every time.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

psiox posted:

I also recommend hackthebox.eu I use it pretty frequently, and recommend it.

You don't get access to the retired machines with the free version, but the paid version is ~15$/month and totally worth it.

If you go this route find Ippsec on youtube for some good tutorials as a starting point.

EDIT:

https://trailofbits.github.io/ctf/

for a guide to CTFs with links to picoCTF and a few others.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 20, 2020

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
this is good stuff, I should have plenty to chew on

thanks folks!

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

psiox posted:

I was gonna mention the trailofbits link and Carnegie Mellon's picoCTF. hackthebox.eu is great and we (my college club's team) do those constantly, but keep in mind that the "vm's" (as opposed to the challenges you'll find in the pwn and Reverse Engineering sections) feature exploitation like what you'll do in a CTF, but are more pentesting from start to finish. Whereas challenges in a CTF are distilled down exploitation, and decoupled from things like sys admin skills and networking. So in a standard hackthebox vm, you'll get a scenario like "hack into this machine using an exploit based on a buffer overflow," whereas in a pwn (category of CTF challenge, aka Binary Exploitation) challenge, its more like "find and exploit the buffer overflow itself."

Couple of programs to look into:
1) binwalk for data forensics, finding and extracting files within files
2) wireshark for capturing and analyzing network traffic
3) burpsuite, as you mentioned
4) netcat
5) your web browser's developer console

If you have a moderate familiarity with C, C++ or even assembler, check out
6) gdb, especially with pwndbg or gef extensions
7) cutter, ghidra or IDA Pro
If not, might wannna be wary of the Reverse Engineering and PWN (BinEx) category of challenges.

My team is doing https://www.hackasat.com/ this weekend.

quote:

The United States Air Force, in conjunction with the Defense Digital Service, presents this year’s Space Security Challenge, Hack-A-Sat. This challenge asks hackers from around the world to focus their skills and creativity on solving cybersecurity challenges on space systems.
CAPTURE THE FLAG, MEET SATELLITE

Pull together a team for our Hack-A-Sat Capture The Flag. Participants who successfully complete a set of qualification challenges on cybersecurity and space this spring will be invited to the ultimate challenge: to (ethically) hack a satellite.

WHERE
DEF CON 28

ENTER THE WORLD OF SPACE SECURITY CHALLENGE IN THE AEROSPACE VILLAGE...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are these uncover folks legit?

https://twitter.com/unc0verteam/status/1263260302713524225?s=21

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
https://www.qualys.com/2020/05/19/cve-2005-1513/remote-code-execution-qmail.txt

qualsys rediscovered some integer overflows from 15 years ago in qmail that were never fixed because they couldn't be exploited on a normal config

oops, now they can be exploited on the default config

the response is "whatever, don't configure it that way"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
What's the deal with iOS "jailbreak enthusiasts". They're not all doing it to assist their security research. Do they all just want to change their clocks to comic sans or cheat at flappy bird or something. It's a bit odd

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

when in doubt it's always to cheat at video games

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

flakeloaf posted:

when in doubt it's always to pirate cheat at video games

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
its piracy, OP

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mostly piracy, but also there's that one particular brand of nerd that thinks that weedlordbonerhitler420's exploit / custom OS / whatever is more secure and trustworthy because reasons

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

qualsys rediscovered some integer overflows from 15 years ago in qmail that were never fixed because they couldn't be exploited on a normal config

haha, gently caress you djb for your rear end in a top hat response to those exact same overflows 15 years ago. one of the few old security vulnerabilities i remember precisely because the response was so overbearing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

Classic djb

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
this one's pretty fun too

https://twitter.com/FiloSottile/status/1262854396934791168
https://twitter.com/hashbreaker/status/1108637226089496577
https://twitter.com/saleemrash1d/status/1262855371665870849

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
qmail cannot fail, only we can fail qmail

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

spankmeister posted:

It's from Indiana lol

Ah ha I am an OSINT master :downsa:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sniep posted:

its piracy, OP

back around idk ios 2 and 3, maybe still at 4 but I don’t remember, I did jailbreaking to get some cool features that weren't in the os yet, like hitting volume down then volume up would turn on the flashlight, or hitting a volume button in camera would take a picture. but then they made all those things either direclty features or close enough. haven't looked into jailbreaking for years and years now though

and also to pirate games

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I jailbreaked a phone once for ~~security research~~ purposes.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

from the recent dns paper

yossposs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Progressive JPEG posted:

from the recent dns paper

yossposs

pos my neg cache: a discussion of recursive dns inefficiencies and vulnerabilities

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

ugh, started poking at a cool service i actually want to use, then for idk why decided to look at their basic web security, and lol no csrf tokens anywhere, not a single http header, so like no x-frame-options so wide open to clickjacking, let alone csp, cookies have no security settings on them, session cookies don’t get cleared server side so session fixation. i stopped looking there, but I imagine there is tons more.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

how do you even manage that these days? pretty much any modern framework will do this poo poo for you

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pardot posted:

back around idk ios 2 and 3, maybe still at 4 but I don’t remember, I did jailbreaking to get some cool features that weren't in the os yet, like hitting volume down then volume up would turn on the flashlight, or hitting a volume button in camera would take a picture. but then they made all those things either direclty features or close enough. haven't looked into jailbreaking for years and years now though

and also to pirate games

I did a jailbreak on I think iOS 3 so I could install an app (still the only one I've ever paid for) to do tethering

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Granite Octopus posted:

how do you even manage that these days? pretty much any modern framework will do this poo poo for you

print "<b>$var</b>";

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

don't use a modern framework obvs

i know jetty didn't have that poo poo by default until fairly recently for example

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

from the gray forums, as defense for not patching

Zero VGS posted:

Nah, I use security groups in AWS so that only our whitelisted office IPs can communicate with the PBX.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Granite Octopus posted:

my guess is they’re go purists and so they’re just using the straight stdlib http server.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Fool posted:

oh dear.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

On the one hand, WTF

On the other, it's Zero VGS, noted moron and cheapskate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I do remember one years back where you could actually hijack the IVR to make a call at the company's expense, so there was that one. Anyway no one is going to make it back into the office to use these phones for at least a year.

Internet Explorer posted:

Seems like a great time to patch...?

Zero VGS posted:

That's what I was thinking but I kinda don't wanna give you nerds the satisfaction.

lmao I can't wait for this moron to get popped

running out of date software despite having a year long open maintenance window to own the something awful dot com forums

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
oof, the best part about ctfs is how the scoreboards make you feel stupider than your peers

not sure i can deal with the competitive aspect of this

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-14107

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
work that iTunes guy got a new job!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

how

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

We didn't consider that the custom location chosen by players could also have files belonging to other programs in it. And unfortunately, we didn't catch that in tests. So the bug would only impact players who had selected a custom install location for Dungeons where other program files also exist, then tried to uninstall the Dungeons Launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
the only good thing about the old way of keeping data and executables in the same directory was that uninstaller programmers had to be slightly more careful so they didn't nuke some user's data files

also doesn't installshield and nsis and poo poo register every file that they install so you can just go "wipe this list of files, kthx"?