Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dead Cells is my favorite roguelike on switch

I'd probably double dip on slay the spire if there was a good sale though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd never heard of the swappy-block game, but we played it for a couple of hours tonight and it actually is really great.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
I've been playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on Switch and felt it was a better investment than Skyrim. You have exploration and generally a better story. Plus your companions have fun banter with each other. Even games like the divinity series fail to capture the same feel as these.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Binding of Isaac is great but Enter The Gungeon is better.

BOI has much higher highs when it comes to absurd power combos but you can get whole 40 minutes runs of absolute garbage.

ETG has a much more even experience. Each run is valid but you don't get those crazy peaks without a lot of unlocks.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I heard Enter the Gungeon was a hell of a grind which is a shame because that game really appeals to me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lord Lambeth posted:

I heard Enter the Gungeon was a hell of a grind which is a shame because that game really appeals to me

I suppose it's a grind in that there's an obscene amount of stuff to unlock, but it doesn't take long to fill out your pool of items adequately so each run is varied.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rutibex posted:

The best rogue-lite on the Switch is The Curious Expedition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rfiQJTVqw

I'm not sure why (maybe the text-heavy presentation) but this game reminds me of JONES: Life In The Fast Lane. I kinda really want JONES on Switch now, but I'm pretty sure there's already a free browser-based version of the game floating around.

Edit: !!!

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 21, 2020

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

quote:

There’s a screenshot of boos that can be manipulated to be scared or attacking Mario based on their position on the wheel

Okay now I'm starting to be sold more on this game's battle system. Still wanna know more of course, but there's already looking to be considerably more strategic depth compared to Sticker Star and Color Splash.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Huxley posted:

I'd never heard of the swappy-block game, but we played it for a couple of hours tonight and it actually is really great.

what game of you referring to here i like blocks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gungeon is more twitchy while Isaac is more methodical and about squeezing advantage out of various marginal mechanics imo

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Panel De Pon, I think.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Lord Lambeth posted:

It hasn't really seemed like a grind at all to me, maybe because I have no idea what half the poo poo does or what's better than what. It's all about just jumping in and playing with what you get. I absolutely hated BoI but ETG owns.

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
I finished Golf Story yesterday and while many games have a sense of fun this one actually had me laughing out loud. Chipping the ball into the hole being easier than putting puts a twist on golf as well. I also saw that PGA 2k21 is coming to Switch and I've really been wanting more golf on Switch. I also started Mario + Rabbids and it is deliciously surreal. Been a good Switch week for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They upgraded a bunch of stuff and added a ton of QoL improvements to Gungeon since release which has made it was easier and more fun. Still challenging to beat the game but you're able to get farther more often and quickly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Dead Cells is my favorite roguelike on switch

I'd probably double dip on slay the spire if there was a good sale though

Both of these have made many plane rides fly by

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nethack is good. Especially, if you back up your save file.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rutibex posted:

The best rogue-lite on the Switch is The Curious Expedition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rfiQJTVqw

Anything that's compared favorably to FTL makes me highly curious. What's it play like? Is it actually good? Can we just get FTL on the Switch, drat the button controls?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tangentially related to the mention of FTL as a game that wouldn't work great with button controls: I really miss the ubiquitous IR (and later gyro) pointer UIs that we got during the Wii era. I might be in the minority here but I feel like there's so much in the Switch's library that'd benefit from the option of cursor controls – like, even though Civ VI is totally playable as it is, being able to use the joycon like a pointer mouse and drag the map around would be a significant quality-of-life upgrade. I'm thinking about how the PS4 touchpad went woefully underused in part because publishers tended to mandate that multiplatform games offer "parity of experience" across both consoles. Nintendo doesn't insist on something similar for handheld vs TV play, right? Or if they did at first, they've since eased up on it? Otherwise we wouldn't see third party devs adding bespoke touchscreen controls in the cases of games like Civ and Cities Skylines.

In any case I don't think I've seen any cursor-based gameplay or UI navigation in any of the Switch games I've played so far. Closest thing I can think of is the shooting gallery in the new Clubhouse Games.

LionEyez
Aug 17, 2014

enojy posted:

I'm not sure why (maybe the text-heavy presentation) but this game reminds me of JONES: Life In The Fast Lane. I kinda really want JONES on Switch now, but I'm pretty sure there's already a free browser-based version of the game floating around.

Edit: !!!

Don't mind me, just lurking. I always loved playing Jones in the fast lane (I think I recall playing it in black and white on an old IBM?). Just wanted to say there's already game just like it on Switch called No Time to Relax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alS-UTHuYcI

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Waltzing Along posted:

There's also a built in "Wizard mode" that, among other things, lets you keep multiple save slots.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anything that's compared favorably to FTL makes me highly curious. What's it play like? Is it actually good? Can we just get FTL on the Switch, drat the button controls?

Hmm. I honestly don't know a good analogy, its a very unique game. I would compare The Curious Expedition to the boardgame Mage Knight, they are very similar. Thats what this is, basically a complex kind of board game. The combat even has virtual dice to rolls. Thematically I would call it "Heart of Darkness: The Game". You travel from place to place "collecting" native treasures, trying not to let your sanity meter fall to far. It is very tight mechanically, so its the kind of game you really need to plan properly or you will die.

But honestly my favorite part of the game is the atmosphere and soundtrack. It has a very HP Lovecraft horrors kind of theme (you can even unlock HP Lovecraft as a playable character :v:). The number of ways you can die after losing sanity rivals a Kings Quest game. Yes, when you run out of food your companions may try to eat you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0DzKW6RD4&t=204s

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 21, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah I love Binding of Isaac but I’m not willing to pay $40 for it. I would probably pay $25 and maybe $30. I played the original but somehow never got around to rebirth and was briefly excited at the idea of playing it on switch, but not for $40.

It's expensive, but we're also a few expansions past Rebirth at this point. If anything the general complaint is that there's now too much stuff in the game. If your last experience with it is the old Flash version, it's basically a different game entirely.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Panel De Pon, I think.

Correct, sorry. I was just already in bed and couldn't think of the name. Hard was a little too much for my colorblindness, but easy is a very chill block-flippy good time.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Waltzing Along posted:

lol imagine being this lame. If you can't beat nethack, just play a Valkyrie or something, don't cheat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finished up Huntdown on Normal last night. Found it quite entertaining throughout and I'm looking forward to going back and mopping up the sub-objectives that I haven't gotten to (which also means finishing each level on one life, a fun challenge). Gonna try and bump up the difficulty as well and see if that switches things up enough to be worth another playthrough.

Really good time. Game has great pixel art, snappy controls, a unique aesthetic, and lots of fun boss fights.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Araxxor posted:

Okay now I'm starting to be sold more on this game's battle system. Still wanna know more of course, but there's already looking to be considerably more strategic depth compared to Sticker Star and Color Splash.

The stuff we're seeing so far is very very encouraging, I really hope they stick the landing because it will absolutely be a must-buy if they just stick the landing of the battle system. I will absolutely pre-order if they just release a couple more videos of the battle system and it proves to be a good system.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Pretty good posted:

Tangentially related to the mention of FTL as a game that wouldn't work great with button controls: I really miss the ubiquitous IR (and later gyro) pointer UIs that we got during the Wii era. I might be in the minority here but I feel like there's so much in the Switch's library that'd benefit from the option of cursor controls – like, even though Civ VI is totally playable as it is, being able to use the joycon like a pointer mouse and drag the map around would be a significant quality-of-life upgrade. I'm thinking about how the PS4 touchpad went woefully underused in part because publishers tended to mandate that multiplatform games offer "parity of experience" across both consoles. Nintendo doesn't insist on something similar for handheld vs TV play, right? Or if they did at first, they've since eased up on it? Otherwise we wouldn't see third party devs adding bespoke touchscreen controls in the cases of games like Civ and Cities Skylines.

In any case I don't think I've seen any cursor-based gameplay or UI navigation in any of the Switch games I've played so far. Closest thing I can think of is the shooting gallery in the new Clubhouse Games.

One of the main downsides of the hybrid console gimmick of the Switch is that the most distinctive control features of the previous generation of Nintendo consoles are rendered useless. Nintendo wants most games to be playable in handheld mode, so most games can't have IR controls or elaborate motion controls. Also, basically every game has to be playable docked so the touchscreen can't be properly utilized.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Huxley posted:

Hard was a little too much for my colorblindness

I only had the Game Boy version as a kid. It's about as playable as it sounds. Still sunk at least 1000 hours into it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

Finished up Huntdown on Normal last night. Found it quite entertaining throughout and I'm looking forward to going back and mopping up the sub-objectives that I haven't gotten to (which also means finishing each level on one life, a fun challenge). Gonna try and bump up the difficulty as well and see if that switches things up enough to be worth another playthrough.

Really good time. Game has great pixel art, snappy controls, a unique aesthetic, and lots of fun boss fights.

Ok I’m not sure how I’ve never seen or heard of Huntdown until now but this looks like 100% my jam

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok I’m not sure how I’ve never seen or heard of Huntdown until now but this looks like 100% my jam

On PC it's an Epic exclusive which is obviously controversial, especially for an indie game. Luckily we sexy Switch owners get to avoid the politics and just enjoy a fun game :)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

One of the main downsides of the hybrid console gimmick of the Switch is that the most distinctive control features of the previous generation of Nintendo consoles are rendered useless. Nintendo wants most games to be playable in handheld mode, so most games can't have IR controls or elaborate motion controls. Also, basically every game has to be playable docked so the touchscreen can't be properly utilized.

"playable" is not the same as "ideal". I find the touch screen is very well used on my Switch Lite. I can't imagine trying to design a level in Mario Maker 2 docked on the TV, that would be torture.

I think its brilliant design. Switch has all of the gimmick features of the Wii and WiiU, but its doesn't force them on it. It's a normal gaming console first.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does anyone else try to budget for big 1st party titles at full price but then every month like 3-5 games you really want come out or go on sale for like $5 and you can't help it?

I have like 20 games on my Switch now but still no Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, or Astral Drift because I keep buying fun Indie metroidvanias and platformers! :negative:

Breath of the Wild and Pokemon Sword are like the only BIG games I own.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone else try to budget for big 1st party titles at full price but then every month like 3-5 games you really want come out or go on sale for like $5 and you can't help it?

I have like 20 games on my Switch now but still no Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, or Astral Drift because I keep buying fun Indie metroidvanias and platformers! :negative:

Breath of the Wild and Pokemon Sword are like the only BIG games I own.

I only have some full price games because I got them with my Switch. I have not considered buying another one once I found out how the eshop sales work. My backlog of $10 infinity replayable indy games has grown quite large :v:

I imagine I will burn through all of the indy game worth having after another month of sales. Meanwhile I continue :f5: Dekudeals.com every day.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

sethsez posted:

It's expensive, but we're also a few expansions past Rebirth at this point. If anything the general complaint is that there's now too much stuff in the game. If your last experience with it is the old Flash version, it's basically a different game entirely.

Definitely. There's apparently a mod you can get that explains what the items do. That'd be so useful because even when playing it a lot there's no way I could remember them all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Ogmius815 posted:

lol imagine being this lame. If you can't beat nethack, just play a Valkyrie or something, don't cheat.

Lol imagine being this lame where you have an opinion on people "cheating" in single player games

For most of us, video games are toys not achievements. I can't speak for the crazy speed runners that run thru games at blistering speeds tho

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Lol imagine being this lame where you have an opinion on people "cheating" in single player games

For most of us, video games are toys not achievements. I can't speak for the crazy speed runners that run thru games at blistering speeds tho

I mean, it isn’t like, using the Konami code to get extra lives. It’s undermining a core element of the gameplay. It’s like beating super Mario bros with a game shark code that lets you fly over obstacles.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I enjoy playing games and enjoying their design and overcoming their challenges legitimately, and sometimes I want to undermine the core gameplay as well. I wanted to finish xenoblade 2 but got real tired of it by the end so I turned on autobattle and nerfed the difficulty, and I don't regret it because I just wanted to get it over with and that made it go faster for me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Huntdown looks neat.

Rutibex posted:

Hmm. I honestly don't know a good analogy, its a very unique game. I would compare The Curious Expedition to the boardgame Mage Knight, they are very similar. Thats what this is, basically a complex kind of board game. The combat even has virtual dice to rolls. Thematically I would call it "Heart of Darkness: The Game". You travel from place to place "collecting" native treasures, trying not to let your sanity meter fall to far. It is very tight mechanically, so its the kind of game you really need to plan properly or you will die.

But honestly my favorite part of the game is the atmosphere and soundtrack. It has a very HP Lovecraft horrors kind of theme (you can even unlock HP Lovecraft as a playable character :v:). The number of ways you can die after losing sanity rivals a Kings Quest game. Yes, when you run out of food your companions may try to eat you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0DzKW6RD4&t=204s

Thanks for the explanation, that actually sounds way too intense for me in that case, but I'm glad the concept is out there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, it isn’t like, using the Konami code to get extra lives. It’s undermining a core element of the gameplay. It’s like beating super Mario bros with a game shark code that lets you fly over obstacles.

Ok a so let's say a game's core element is being "undermined," I'm still not seeing the problem here.

For example I've played gungeon for dozens of hours and have only seen half the game because I'm just not that good. But I don't really care to play it anymore, and wouldn't mind a god mode or something that would let me see all the content at my leisure.

Even if I wasn't done with it, what if I didn't want to engage the core elements and just wanted to see the pretty sprite work? I paid for the game, I should be allowed to toy with it however I please.

Not to mention, not everyone takes the same things away from video games and some people (a lot actually) don't care about the achievement or challenge side of it.

As someone who loves dunking on dark souls noobs, I can't believe I'm arguing against a "git gud" argument but ya it's just games

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Ok a so let's say a game's core element is being "undermined," I'm still not seeing the problem here.
They called it lame. They didn't stand trial in front of a firing squad.