Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The_Franz posted:

macos defaults to zshell now

also:

smdh - terminal emulator not shell. you can't be slipping like that in the linux thread.

eschaton posted:

I assume they were talking about Terminal.app not whatever shell the user happens to be running

oh no the terminal emulator doesn’t get a ground-up rewrite with a completely redesigned UI every two years, whatever will we do

its a fuckin terminal emulator what more do you want

24-bit color for my truecolor vim schemes

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i can't believe people still complain about video drivers under lunix

seriously update your easy jokes more than once every ten years, it is not an actual problem

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

psiox posted:

seriously update your easy jokes more than once every ten years, it is not an actual problem

what was that i cant hear you

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Sniep posted:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

psiox posted:

seriously update your easy jokes

turn your monitor off and then on again lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sniep posted:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Sniep posted:

:nice:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

haha god drat

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Btrfs on the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel 6

oracle seems to like btrfs still, good it's not only suse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel sounds like a lovely netflix original that gets cancelled after a season and a half

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

psiox posted:

i would update them but i'm afraid i'd lose hardware acceleration in the process like these poor souls did recently

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

installed the linux

tried to update my graphics driver on the linux

the linux would not start

help how do I get good at the linux?

blink polyfill posted:

this happened to me today

it's good to see that linux desktop hasn't made progress in 6 years lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hopefully linux video drivers will stop sucking now that microsoft has ported d3d12 to them

finally you might be able to run something on a server OS on the desktop that isn't team fortress 2 or a direct3d 8 game under wine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

remember when linux nerds were trying to rub their tf2 benchmarks being 15% faster on linux than on windows

that was in like 2015 lmao

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

your post is from 2015 too

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

hopefully linux video drivers will stop sucking now that microsoft has ported d3d12 to them

finally you might be able to run something on a server OS on the desktop that isn't team fortress 2 or a direct3d 8 game under wine

well, yeah, but it'll only work when running the linux under windows. the d3d12 userspace only talks to the kernel passthrough (which is in turn the only part that they've open-sourced).

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i dont think it'll get upstreamed, not in its current form at least

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, yeah, but it'll only work when running the linux under windows. the d3d12 userspace only talks to the kernel passthrough (which is in turn the only part that they've open-sourced).

and, for now at least, it's only use is to run their directml compute thing under wsl. you can draw to offscreen surfaces with it, but outside of the novelty of "i'm using dx natively on linux" there's no real point

Tankakern posted:

the kernel's policy is "no middle layers", especially layers that do nothing but glue closed binary blobs together, so that's not happening. microsoft gets to be like nvidia and maintain their own out-of-tree interface

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

lol oof

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

agreed. it is all a bit uncomfortable though. nvidia doing an out-of-tree driver is still very much aimed at having their stuff work with existing linux distributions in a natural way. microsofts thing is increasingly to include a linux blob while ripping holes through replacing all they don't like, both in the plumbing below and in the userspace above, with their own proprietary thing.

it is actually legitimately pretty subversive, and wsl has nontrivial momentum.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i've a feeling this bug is more of a windows issue than a firefox issue (half the clip is setup, fast-forward to 0:40 for the action):

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1263543762409492480

also windows sandbox is an actually cool tool for testing poo poo like this

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sir this is the linux thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

pram posted:

sir this is the linux thread
What if you run sandbox in windows in a nested vm in wsl2?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

it is all a bit uncomfortable though.

Well yeah, it's the extend step in their embrace, extend, extinguish cycle.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tbf though all theyd potentially extinguish is desktop linux which is already functionally dead

mystes
May 31, 2006

pram posted:

tbf though all theyd potentially extinguish is desktop linux which is already functionally dead
They're also doing it to enable CUDA in WSL2.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

agreed. it is all a bit uncomfortable though. nvidia doing an out-of-tree driver is still very much aimed at having their stuff work with existing linux distributions in a natural way. microsofts thing is increasingly to include a linux blob while ripping holes through replacing all they don't like, both in the plumbing below and in the userspace above, with their own proprietary thing.

it is actually legitimately pretty subversive, and wsl has nontrivial momentum.

Linux nerds have had almost 30 years now to make a desktop that works. if they haven’t managed by now, they won’t. time to shut freedesktop.org down and strip it for parts

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Linux nerds have had almost 30 years now to make a desktop that works. if they haven’t managed by now, they won’t. time to shut freedesktop.org down and strip it for parts
Do we all have to switch to ReactOS?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kazinsal posted:

wine is fully integrated in steam now, and it supports d3d 9/10/11 through dxvk

linux games have never been easier

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nomnom Cookie posted:

redirect it to microsoft.com because windows 10 is free

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

It's a closed source library that will only run on WSL.

But as stated, wine has directx support already.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Vomik posted:

wcos is the baremetal hypervisor used to launch your favorite windows and linux containers

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

welp

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

get-childitem

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

Despite the combination sounding bad, with commands like Invoke-RestMethod it's very convenient and basically like what you would use instead of curl for testing http calls on windows.

Poking around json or xml interactively is maybe the one situation where powershell is good and maybe slightly more convenient than something like python, and on windows versions of chrome the developer tools will allow you to copy requests as powershell in addition to javascript fetch commands or curl which is nice.
Lol I said this but it turns out if you use "Copy as Powershell" in the chrome developer tools, the result doesn't actually work on powershell 5 because it tries to just set cookies in the headers rather than using a session object. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=932971

It does actually work in powershell core even though the powershell documentation still says this won't work.

I love that the response was "As this issue is required StackOverflow account to test and confirm which is not available with TE-End. Hence, adding 'TE-NeedsTriageHelp' and requesting respective team to look into the issue and help in further triaging" even though the problem is that it doesn't send the cookies to any website ever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yum install powershell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your shell is a piece of poo poo