Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for ignoring my step mother in front of her boss?

How about "gently caress you, call me my real name".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Piell posted:

AITA for making my girlfriend choose between me and her stuffed animal?

This lady is a loving psychopath.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Farming/victory gardening/homesteading discussion is very interesting.

AITA for telling my wife to gain weight instead of having me pay for a boob job?

quote:

My wife doesn't like the size of her breast and never has. When we first met that was probably her biggest insecurity. Five years later apparently it has not gotten any better. She wants me to pay so she could get a boob job, and we have a one year old.

I'm not comfortable paying for a boob job, and I'm trying to understand why she still wants one. Considering she's married and has a kid. I do not shame her at all for wanting one.

She brought it up the other day and I had told her she should try gaining weight first, because I'm not in the position where I want to pay for one yet. My wife is a twig, I don't think that's an unfair thing to ask. She said that won't change anything and she likes the weight she's at, and please listen to her and stop being so inconsiderate.

She does not want one now, but wants to get it like a year from now. She also said she does not like me as her husband not listening to her and basically dismissing what she has been insecure about for years.

What does everyone think?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

therobit posted:

This lady is a loving psychopath.

I can almost guarantee you it was written by Ellen.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for ignoring my step mother in front of her boss?

Her middle name is Karen, so why didn’t she talk to her stepmother’s manager

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Danaru posted:

Oh man similarly, it's so obvious when you get tomatoes grown locally vs tomatoes imported from other countries that sat in a refrigerated truck for days because seriously you can taste those bad boys just holding them near your tongue, the flavour is so god drat intense and wonderful.

I miss having a yard :smith: My fiance thinks I'm nuts for wanting to put that much work into it, but he's totally behind my desire to hit up a U-pick apple orchard and try hard cider homebrewing/eating fresh apples until I actually die

This cracked.com (lol) article (double lol) also has some insight into the bland tomatoes sold in stores: https://www.cracked.com/article_24741_americas-tomatoes-taste-like-garbage-because-racism.html

The short of it is that some dude at UC Davis chucked tomatoes at the road and bred the ones that survived unscathed, with no regard for flavor, so that they could be picked by machines instead of by hand, and so now we have poo poo tomatoes grown commercially.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Batterypowered7 posted:

This cracked.com (lol) article (double lol) also has some insight into the bland tomatoes sold in stores: https://www.cracked.com/article_24741_americas-tomatoes-taste-like-garbage-because-racism.html

The short of it is that some dude at UC Davis chucked tomatoes at the road and bred the ones that survived unscathed, with no regard for flavor, so that they could be picked by machines instead of by hand, and so now we have poo poo tomatoes grown commercially.

I'm pretty sure the bland green beans you find that are just a texture and way to get butter from plate to mouth are similar; bred for shelf life rather than taste,

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for cursing out the school bus driver?

quote:

I was on the school bus and our school bus driver is such a bitch. She for no reason will try to separate people from sitting next to each other usually if its a boy and a girl sitting in the same row. She says its "inappropriate" and that they hsouldnt be so close together. This type of bullshit is why my friend's left Jehovah's witness. Anyways i see Kelly, one of my best friends crying and she sits in a seat thats a row to my left and 2 behind me. This happened about maybe 5-10 minutes after the bus left the school. I left my seat (which was next to Daniel, who i normally sit next to) and i go over to kelly and I give her a hug and i ask her if she's ok. The bus driver sees it and stops the bus. She said what i did was inappropriate and that i can't sit next to her.

Our boss driver often has a habit of singling me out. She stops the bus and says she's not going to drive until either my parents or a school staff or some other adult can pick me up and she's not going to continue to drive. I considered walking but school is 8 miles from where i live and I'm sure i'd get lost trying to get there. Phone died so i didn't have google maps. After trying to reason with the bus driver for 10 minutes and her just being stubborn saying "nope I'm the adult and this is for everyone's safety" I absolutely lost my poo poo and i cursed out the bus driver calling her a stupid incompetent bitch and many of the other students who are pissed off are cursing her out too. Kelly calls her sister to come pick us up and she shows up about 20 minutes later. Bus driver is still waiting for a school staff member to come pick us up. We're still arguing and mostly cursing out the teacher when Kelly's sister arrives. Bus driver refuses to open the door so we opened the emergency door in the back and Kelly, me, and Daniel all go home in Kelly's sister's car. Apparently the bus waited for another 30 minutes for a school staff member to arrive, they talked it out and they got home, about 20 minutes later.

School launched a massive investigation into it and the bus driver got fired and I'm on probation. loving hell.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for getting upset with my partner and FIL for drinking beer, when they were meant to be minding our kids, while I was at work? (Essential worker)

quote:

So I’m (F38) an essential frontline healthcare worker. With the Covid 19 Pandemic my husband (M44) has been able to work from home and mind the kids, while I’m on shift. However it’s getting harder as we’re both getting busier.

My FIL just offered to help out with childcare, as he’s just lost his job. I was so grateful as this would solve so many problems.

So - today was the first day of FIL minding kids and my husband working from home. I finished a 12hour shift in hospital and arrived home to find;

- my 4year old running around in the street naked - in front of cars - with their feet all cut and bloody
- my 10 year old getting in a fist fight with another neighbours child and neighbourhood parents getting upset with us
- a neighbour stopping me asking me had I left the kids “home alone” as they had been keeping an eye on them for the last hour as “no parents are around”
- really hot day here. Neighbour has been putting sunscreen on my kids and giving them water.

I get into our house really worried something has happened to my FIL or husband, and find them chatting and drinking beer in the back yard. Husband obviously not working from home as he said he had to.

When I ask what’s going on they said “oh we let the 10year old mind the smaller ones”. When I explained I was upset and concerned about what was happening our front of house my husband got really angry with me.

I said I know it’s really difficult to try mind the kids and work from home (as I’ve had to do it myself). And if this arrangement won’t work, maybe we need to figure out something else that’s works for us all. As for me, kids safety is paramount.

I said this in front of his Dad - and this is where I might be TA. My husband said I embarrassed and humiliated him and his Dad by giving out to them in front of each other. But I’m really worried now about how safe our kids are when I’m out at work.

But my husband is absolutely livid angry with me now and hasn’t spoken to me in 24 hours now. I’ve apologised and said I should’ve picked a better time and way to talk about my concerns. But he is still saying I’m overreacting and being disrespectful to him and FIL and is really angry and won’t talk to me. And I’m worried about kids when I’m going to work tomorrow.

So am AITA for getting upset, and expressing My concerns, regarding how my husband and FIL are leaving kids unsupervised while I’m working?

TLDR: FIL meant to be minding kids while husband and K working. I come home from 12 hour hospital shift to find them drinking beer in garden And neighbourhood parents minding kids. AITA for expressing my concerns in front Of husband and FIL?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think my best friends fiancé proposed to her with a lab grown diamond and she doesn’t seem to know..

quote:

Background: she and her fiancé are quite money conscious. She’s made comments about how she wouldn’t want to spend more than 5-10k on an engagement ring. Nonetheless, she never mentioned anything about being ok with factory ‘diamonds’.

Fast forward, proposal happens. She’s ecstatic about the ring b/c it was custom-made and her fiancé designed the band and setting on some 2D software and had it made. The company that made it was recommended to them by a mutual friend. Two weeks after the proposal, mutual friend comes across a company post of the exact ring on Instagram boasting about how good a job they did and that you can’t even tell it’s an engineered diamond. (You can definitely tell - a bit too shiny and high quality plastic looking). We have not shown this video to best friend or her fiancé.

Mutual friend and I don’t know what to do. We’ve asked (multiple times) her if she’s gotten the ring authenticated - she said yes, that the fiancé has the paperwork. We suggested she should keep a copy. She shrugged it off.

This ring is HUGE. According to her almost 2 carats. For someone who wasn’t into spending too much on a ring, it doesn’t add up. But she seems to believe her fiancé went above and beyond for her.

Mutual friend and I don’t want to directly say anything to her and cause suspicion of her fiancé. We thought of maybe asking the fiancé first. Or should we just not inquire? A small gut part of me tells me she knows it’s not natural but doesn’t want to say anything.

I’d be happy with her choice of going for a factory made gem if that is what she wants or is okay with. I’m not okay with it if the fiancé is lying to her. But I also don’t think she’s THAT naive not to know or get the authenticity documents, etc.

At a loss of what I should do.. we found out shortly after the proposal but thanks to the ‘Rona, 2.5 months have passed. She’s in the healthcare front lines, so none of us thought it would be appropriate right now. But its been bugging me ! I don’t know what to do!

Tl;dr- a friend and I found out through ring setting companies Instagram post that the ring my best friend’s fiancé proposed with is a lab grown diamond. Best friend has not seen the post and seems to think it is genuine. We’ve asked best friend to make sure she gets it authenticated. Says Fiancé did and has the documents. Should we say something ?

Edit: LOL. Got myself a fiesty bunch here. In case you all didn’t read the part in which I said: SHE MAY NOT KNOW it is lab grown and in UNDER THE IMPRESSION it is natural.

I myself could give two shits about which she prefers. It’s HER ring, HER relationship. My problem here is WHETHER SHE KNOWS OR IS HER FIANCÉ LYING.

FINAL EDIT: thank you to those who offered their opinions sans the attacks. You all helped me think through some valid points. And for those of you who decided to attack my character thinking I’m snobby because you thought the price tag of the ring was of concern, or I’m fake because... not sure why for this one LOL, or I’m jealous of their relationship and want to stir up problems - I hope you guys are not like this in person, honestly. Kindness goes a long way and makes for a better communication medium.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man she's going to be so loving choked when she finds out no kids died for that rock.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think my best friends fiancé proposed to her with a lab grown diamond and she doesn’t seem to know..

Oh my God WHO GIVES A poo poo, mind your loving business

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Oh my God WHO GIVES A poo poo, mind your loving business

DeBeers gives a poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tactlessbastard posted:

This guy gets it

Blueberries. I always try and visit mom when the blueberries are bearing. She's got three bushes that bear heavily and fresh off the bush, warm from the sun, are the best thing ever. If the climate is right, your garden needs blueberries. As trade stock if nothing else.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

quote:

thank you to those who offered their opinions sans the attacks. You all helped me think through some valid points. And for those of you who decided to attack my character thinking I’m snobby because you thought the price tag of the ring was of concern, or I’m fake because... not sure why for this one LOL, or I’m jealous of their relationship and want to stir up problems - I hope you guys are not like this in person, honestly. Kindness goes a long way and makes for a better communication medium.
How did she read all of that and not get that yeah, that does accurately describe her.There's zero reason you would care otherwise, like the thought would not even cross your mind as relevant info you'd need to try to reality check your friend unless you were all of those things.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (22f) boyfriend (26m) thinks that working as a server in a high-end strip club is the same as having sex with other people.

I reconnected with a highschool friend about a month ago who I currently a dancer in our best local strip club. It's pretty high end and she told me she makes ~1k a night. I said I would not be okay dancing but I would be a server and she told me to apply and that the servers still make decent money. I asked my boyfriend if he would be okay with me working in a strip club without specific details about the friend and he originally said that he wouldn't care.

Well I've thought about it and I told him a few days ago that I was going to apply. I lost my job due to the shut down and figured this would be an easy way to recoup expenses lost. He... was.. pissed.

He said if I'm going to work as a server I might as well be stripping and that if I'm going to get all that attention from men, he wanted to be able to talk tp and have sex with other women too. I was blown away. I told him I'm not touching them or giving them lap dances or anything. I'm only serving and im not even nude. He said not yet.

I don't know what to think and honestly I feel pretty disrespected. He told me he was okay with it. I asked my mom and she thinks it was a pretty disgusting response too. What do you think? Do any of you have girlfriends working in strip clubs?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for cursing out the school bus driver?

At least they fired the bus driver, though I see the school still punishes kids for doing anything other than reflexively obeying even obviously incompetent and insane authority.

teen witch posted:

AITA for getting upset with my partner and FIL for drinking beer, when they were meant to be minding our kids, while I was at work? (Essential worker)

Sorry you married into a family of useless men.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (22f) boyfriend (26m) thinks that working as a server in a high-end strip club is the same as having sex with other people.

Both the post and account deleted within 6 hrs.

It's pretty obvious he's a scumbag, maybe she realized he was human waste and broke up with him.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

pentyne posted:

Both the post and account deleted within 6 hrs.

It's pretty obvious he's a scumbag, maybe she realized he was human waste and broke up with him.

Yeah but she’s going to get covid if that post was recent.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Invisible Clergy posted:

Farming/victory gardening/homesteading discussion is very interesting.

AITA for telling my wife to gain weight instead of having me pay for a boob job?

quote:

She does not want one now, but wants to get it like a year from now. She also said she does not like me as her husband not listening to her and basically dismissing what she has been insecure about for years.

What does everyone think?
I think the alimony she gets after divorcing you will pay for a great boob job.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least they fired the bus driver, though I see the school still punishes kids for doing anything other than reflexively obeying even obviously incompetent and insane authority.
I’d bet the reason they fired the driver is because other kids’ parents complained about the bus driver making everybody sit around for 60+ minutes (!) during his hissy fit.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MagusofStars posted:

I’d bet the reason they fired the driver is because other kids’ parents complained about the bus driver making everybody sit around for 20+ minutes (!) during his hissy fit.

Her, and I imagine a lot of parents were worried when their kids were coming home late with no explanation too.

I had some trouble with substitute bus drivers out in the country, especially when it's normal for kids to walk or ride a long distance to get to their homes. So instead go back to the nearest town and drop the kid off with no further assistance until they have to ask someone to call home. All the talk about liability is completely missing the point where the arbitrary enforcement of rules doesn't make anyone safer and just makes their job harder. (and in this case, leads to no job) I think most people have known the kind of person as a kid who would enforce rules without any regard to actually getting anything done and refuse to actually communicate or look for solutions and make things harder for everyone else.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 21, 2020

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for "targeting" short, fat, and out of shape coworkers by making them exercise?

quote:

I'm 17F and I'm a lifeguard in a big county park district. Due to the closure/reopening stuff, we're doing a lot of training until reopening to patrons. I was chosen as one of the guards to lead small groups in training.

I believe that the standards for who can be a lifeguard are wayyy too low. Some of my coworkers are super overweight, super short/skinny, or just generally have no muscle.

I'm a believer in scenario based training, and I've been intentionally putting short/fat/out of shape people in the more physically demanding roles. Now, I don't tell them that, but some have caught on. If the purpose of training is to get better at something – why the gently caress should I be putting the weightlifting, track-running, swim team kid who obviously doesn't need much fitness training in the more physically demanding roles? It makes more sense for them to focus on technique while people who need fitness focus on fitness.

While I'm not trying to be superior, I do have advantages compared to many here - I grew up on the ocean, started swimming lessons when I was a baby, have freediving/SCUBA experience, my first lifeguard job was as a camp counselor on a big lake. I'm also into parkour/freerunning so I have some athletic experience.

I currently live/work in the midwestern county. Something like 70% of the population is urban or suburban, there's not many lakes/ponds, even lifeguards have less swimming experience, etc.

Tldr: People started to notice that I target out of shape people in training and have been bitching about it. I don't think I did anything wrong.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Blueberries. I always try and visit mom when the blueberries are bearing. She's got three bushes that bear heavily and fresh off the bush, warm from the sun, are the best thing ever. If the climate is right, your garden needs blueberries. As trade stock if nothing else.

You can't have any blueberries, the birds got there first

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for "targeting" short, fat, and out of shape coworkers by making them exercise?

Y are absolutely TA, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Not everyone can run four-minute miles, deadlift 100 kg, or swim 1 km without breaking a sweat. Not everyone wants to. As long as they fit the physical requirements for the job, gently caress off.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

What's the point in targeting short people for that kind of role? It's not like they're gonna get taller by exercising

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If that worked there wouldn't be so many men hung up on being short

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

bell jar posted:

What's the point in targeting short people for that kind of role? It's not like they're gonna get taller by exercising

quote:

> exercise isn't going to make them taller

Repetitively performing difficult tasks that they are disadvantaged in will help them get better at it, though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Batterypowered7 posted:

Sometimes I think I blame capitalism for too many of my problems, then I see poo poo like this and whoops no I was right

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I'm 17F and I'm a lifeguard in a big county park district. Due to the closure/reopening stuff, we're doing a lot of training until reopening to patrons. I was chosen as one of the guards to lead small groups in training.

I believe that the standards for who can be a lifeguard are wayyy too low. Some of my coworkers are super overweight, super short/skinny, or just generally have no muscle.

Doesn't fat float?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If a lifeguard's only job is to blow a whistle, then out-of-shape and fat doesn't matter. Lung capacity would matter, I suppose.

So, if that's their only job, then person ITA.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Gonna be the odd one out and say NTA because it's for loving lifeguarding. If this was for some warehouse gig, who cares, but when you're expected to drag a lifeless body out of the water you kind of need to be fit.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

op posted:

last year a bigger dude fell off a swimtube in the wave pool, hit his head on another persons head, KO'd himself, and went passive straight to the bottom. The guards stationed on that pool went after him, took an extended time from entry to getting to him, had difficulty pulling him up off the bottom.

On the CCTV video you can see the guards stationed to the pool (relatively short) reacting quickly & scramblimg to get to him, and having a lot of difficulty pulling him up. They got him to the side & on a board somehow to try to pull him out, but couldn't.

A taller guard from another pool jumped in, swam all the way to the end of the pool 4x faster than it took the girls who only had to swim half the way. He pulled the guy right up and started CPR since he was in full arrest.

Prolonged extrication to CPR time caused this guy to end up braindead. The family ended up donating his organs. Guy was ex-military, ended up buried with honors at Arlington.

While that one sticks out, I can attribute multiple delayed rescues to the fact it takes a short person longer to propel themselves through the water because they have a smaller body surface area. If you take a tall paddle vs a short paddle on a boat that have equal width, the tall paddle will move the boat faster because it has more surface area.

We haven't had any lifeguard injuries to my knowledge, but we've had several delayed rescues including that full arrest & a seperate seizure pt as far as the ones I wasn't there for. The only resuscitation I've been apart of had a delayed rescue too that, imho, is due to the resucer having more trouble

death by short people

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Hopefully at 17 he faces consequences for how he handled this and learns being short, under/overweight, or lacking muscle does not cause an automatic inability to do a physically demanding task. Meanwhile his “fit” coworkers got no training/reinforcement of those physical skills.

Maybe NTA, but a poor decision made out of youth and ignorance. He should at least be rotating people in training roles and observing which individuals are best at certain tasks without letting body type cloud his judgement and train to improve based on that, or placing individuals where they’re best suited on the busiest days.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 21, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Hopefully at 17 he faces consequences for how he handled this and learns being short, under/overweight, or lacking muscle does not cause an automatic inability to do a physically demanding task. Meanwhile his “fit” coworkers got no training/reinforcement of those physical skills.

Maybe NTA, but a poor decision made out of youth and ignorance. He should at least be rotating people in training roles and observing which individuals are best at certain tasks without letting body type cloud his judgement and train to improve based on that, or placing individuals where they’re best suited on the busiest days.

She.

But yes, just because somebody is a good swimmer doesn't mean they are good trainers and a 17 year old isn't likely to be qualified to be in that role. I'm guessing this is a gig that little care is given about throughout and barely meets the standards to keep the parks open.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Interesting article about someone who regularly trolls reddit, including r/relationships

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/21/trolls-internet-cartoons-hate-her-reddit posted:

AITA for grouping guests at my wedding by Harry Potter houses?

My [22F] boyfriend [25M] categorizes everything as Virgin vs Chad and it’s annoying

AITA for calling my girlfriend “big chungus”?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

You've gotta be loving joking. It's a loving job requirement to be physically capable of performing life saving rescues?

Like, where I live there are specific tests as part of your certification that you must meet to become certified and not being fast enough or strong enough will get you failed. Because otherwise you let people die.

Also, I can only imagine being a physically inadequate lifeguard that keeps letting people die being a pretty awful job.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

They're not the rear end in a top hat for setting aggressive training goals and standards in a literal life saving job. They're the rear end in a top hat for not holding everyone to the same standards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blitter posted:

You've gotta be loving joking. It's a loving job requirement to be physically capable of performing life saving rescues?

Like, where I live there are specific tests as part of your certification that you must meet to become certified and not being fast enough or strong enough will get you failed. Because otherwise you let people die.

Also, I can only imagine being a physically inadequate lifeguard that keeps letting people die being a pretty awful job.

Yeah. In six years of EMS I’ve seen a ton of calls go sideways because people were so out of shape they couldn’t actually do their jobs. Moving people is physically demanding even outside of water, in water I’m sure it’s even harder. Doing CPR is also crazy strenuous. If you can’t do it properly you’re going to have people die. Either get into shape or do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
From the original post:

quote:

I take this to mean that her coworkers have actually passed the required physical fitness tests to be a lifeguard, but she doesn't think the tests are good enough so she took upon herself to push her coworkers up to her standards. Which, since she's been super physically fit since forever, are stupidly high.

No, gently caress off. If you think physical requirements are too low, campaign so they get changed, don't do this passive-aggressive bullshit.