Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

haveblue posted:

Reddit is antisocial media

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Invisible Clergy posted:

GF(19) is angry that I failed the final she made me take for her

Taking bets about how long before OP constructs a cuck shack.

Need a loving spinal transplant here

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Invisible Clergy posted:

Taking bets about how long before OP constructs a cuck shack.

His apartment is already a cuck shack.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Invisible Clergy posted:

A big dumb idiot posted:

This stems from a late-night conversation where I said that she is a 7/10 priority compared to my studies which I rate at a 9/10.

she's an rear end in a top hat for sure, but lol at numerically ranking your priorities and thinking it's a good idea to tell your girlfriend she isn't number one

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The love shack's rebranding took an interesting turn.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

My (22F) bf (22M) is insecure about me wanting to use a dildo that is larger than he is?

drat, that guy is pretty insecure

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

He goes on to say that his girlfriend won't leave him because shes financially dependent on him. When people accuse him of financial abuse he says that its not his fault she git a useless English degree.

gently caress man just let her have chapstick

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

quote:

My [47M] dance routine for my son's [27M] wedding is causing family drama

Needs amazing dancing

https://i.imgur.com/tK3IWtm.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3N1gAnp.mp4

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Cumshitter, what kind of dance did you perform at your son's wedding?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Biplane posted:

Still extremely shook by the dad giving the car to the wrong son, just such a monumental gently caress up.

Maybe if you want your dad's cool car you don't go non contact for 4 years? Maybe you make more than a token effort to be a part of his live cause of "studies"?

Promises made as and to children aren't binding. I note there doesn't seem to be an overt concern for taking over the family business; only the 150k car.

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?
AITA for being annoyed about my pregnant wife's reckless behaviour?

quote:

My (36M) wife (25F) of two years is pregnant with our first-born child. We've been together for five years. She is 18 weeks pregnant right now. She's a great woman usually . Kind, loyal, and homely. However, I am scared and a bit annoyed by how reckless I've seen her be while pregnant with our child.

First of all, she insists on still doing the grocery shopping and carrying bags in from the car. She also still goes running twice a week which I've heard can be so dangerous in terms of encouraging miscarriage! She still drinks soda often even though there's caffeine in it (also harmful). She remains working even though we could get by perfectly well for the next few months on my salary. She insists on tracking the her pregnancy symptoms herself through some app on her phone, even though I have been already using a top-rated app program to monitor her progress.

All these little reckless acts are frustrating enough but what has really broke me is that last weekend she went to an event run by a friend of hers. I had warned her off it for weeks. There was absolutely no need for her to go in her condition. She went anyway and she stayed way too late and lied to me about it. I was working at the time so I didn't see her until the next day. She told me she got home at 10:30pm but I found a cab receipt in the hallway that says 1:13am. When i confronted her, she also insisted that she had been drinking non-alcoholic rosé all night but honestly I wouldn't be surprised at this point if she had been drinking alcohol too!

I flipped out and told her that I could already tell she was going to be a lovely parent and that I wished she would just listen to me. It's my kid in there! I just want things our family to be safe. She hasn't spoken to me much since and I just can't believe how bad her attitude is. Reddit, am i the rear end in a top hat here?

**Update:**

A: By homely I meant that she is plain-faced. Not ugly by any means but she's no VS model. She isn't stuck up and self-absorbed in her looks.

B: She went to a BBQ. Also bad because of the smoke/possibility of undercooked food but she didn't care much about that either. Where we live you can gather in groups of 10 people but that is in regards to *HEALTHY* people. I find it selfish.

C: I care a lot and want a successful pregnancy. That's my numero uno. I am not intentionally controlling her. I just want her to be careful which she would be if she listened to me.

TL;DR: Wife is pregnant. I feel that she has been reckless about our unborn child's wellbeing. AITA for flipping out on her?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everytime I see the huge litany of things pregnant women are supposed to avoid, I wonder how we managed to make it as a species.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Everytime I see the huge litany of things pregnant women are supposed to avoid, I wonder how we managed to make it as a species.

The human species doesn't need perfect, it just needs good enough.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Solus M.D. posted:

quote:

Kind, loyal, and homely

Is he trying to say she's a homebody and just-

quote:

A: By homely I meant that she is plain-faced. Not ugly by any means but she's no VS model. She isn't stuck up and self-absorbed in her looks.

:wtc:

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Solus M.D. posted:

"How dare she continue to act like she did 18 weeks ago, and not become completely dependent upon me to provide for her! And how dare she want to monitor her health herself, or want to have a social life while pregnant!"

Like, he sort of has a point with the social gathering bit, but it gets outweighed by all the rest of it.

Dude's an rear end in a top hat, and she should sever as soon as possible.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for breaking into my daughter’s iphone and deleting her Tinder match?

quote:

I feel really guilty for doing this. I have an excellent relationship with my daughters. One of them has been at home since spring break due to universities shutting down. She’s been using the Tinder app to flirt with local guys. She shows me their profiles sometimes so we can share a giggle or laugh at some of the more ridiculous ones. One of the things that I still cannot quite get comfortable with is that she has a thing for older men, so her matches range in age from 20s-40s. She knows I’m uncomfortable with it and in fact shows me her older matches sometimes just to needle me (in jest).

Yesterday she showed me one of the older guys she’s been teasing. I was ready to have a laugh with her until I saw his face. He, “Joe”, was my high school fling with whom I had a complicated relationship. It is only a relationship that my now-deceased parents and ex-husband know about. It’s a secret I’m resolute in bringing to the grave with me.

Freshman year in college when both of us turned 18, we went on a road trip to Las Vegas where we got married at one of those wedding chapels. Around the same time I got pregnant. My parents were rightly livid. When I told “Joe” about the pregnancy, he freaked out because he wasn’t ready to be a parent. Truthfully, neither was I. My parents helped us get an annulment. This was time before social media so it was a lot easier for me to “take a year off from college to travel the world”. I had the baby whom I gave up for adoption. “Joe” also disappeared from my life promptly after the annulment. During that time, I met a very nice man from a fellowship group who, despite my messy history and pregnancy, accepted me for who I am. A year after adoption/recovery and self-discovery, we married and had my now beautiful daughters. I have completely forgotten about “Joe”.

I tried looking him up. The only thing I could find was another guy with his same name on linkedin but it wasn’t him. Desperate, I decided to break into my daughter’s phone while she was sleeping. I only wanted his contact information. I read her messages with him to see if they exchanged phone or email. Luckily, and also unfortunately, they haven’t met but he was coming on very strong, the same guy I knew. My daughter explained to me that unmatching someone permanently cancels him. So I sent him a message from her Tinder telling him to stay the hell away from my daughter because she is the half-sibling to his own offspring out there. And then I unmatched him.

This morning, my daughter was upset that a guy had canceled her because she’s the one who usually does the ghosting. I reached out to my ex-husband (haven’t for ages) to ask for advice. He strongly believes I should have been honest with our daughter but he and I will bring this secret with us to the grave, I reminded him. He suggested I keep looking for “Joe” to make sure he got the message. I will do that. Sorry for the long story, I’m rambling a bit because I’m distressed.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Not to single out a particular one, but there are way more stories lately that just SCREAM "badly executed creative writing exercise" and it's getting tiring having to peace out of the thread until discussion has run it's course. Generally these are the ones written in an articulate but naive/credulous voice outlining either obvious red flag behaviour in the poster or clearly normal fine behaviour in the second party that the poster takes umbridge with. They bear very little resemblance to the kind of rambling unstable poo poo that spews from the keyboards of real chuds/incels/estranged parents etc that the whole exercise becomes really stagey. Obviously they COULD all be true but they just hit so many key points so exhaustively and are on the nose to the point of ridicule, it just feels utterly pointless even engaging in discussion of/with a strawman

They're also usually really boring, since to include that many cliches the ideas have to be really commonly discussed and the "appropriate" opinion really obvious

I'm assuming covid lockdown means more folks are bored at home and trying to amuse themselves fakeposting

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
"Oh yeah, my wife is great. She doesn't have too many opinions of her own, I can push her around, and she's hot enough to gently caress but not hot enough to gently caress around, you know? Anyway, I thought I landed her young enough that she would accept her eventual role as mindless vessel for my unborn heir, but now that I've impregnated her she refuses to play along with all my archaic superstitions and she wants... get this, she wants autonomy. I shouldn't have to back up my expectations with science! Why even marry a woman eleven years my junior if she's just going insist on personhood? What a bitch."

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Might as well enjoy the semi convincing fiction

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

1 month ago:

AITA for taking a 3 hour nap every afternoon and expecting my husband to look after the kid and only wake me up for emergencies?

quote:

My husband (38) and I (34 f) have been married for 5 years. We have a 4 year old daughter and and a 3 month old son. Our son has a health condition and needs to be fed every 40 to 80 minutes.

I work in IT and can easily work from home and generally make my own schedule. My husband works from 6am to 3pm. I get up every hour at night to feed our son so my husband can sleep. I drop our daughter off at kindie in the morning and then work and look after our son. I obviously don't get much sleep during the night so I have started to go to sleep from 3.30 to 7pm and I made it clear that I am not to be woken up unless it's an emergency. My husband looks after the kids and cooks tea while I'm asleep and at 7 we all eat. After that we take turns reading stories to our daughter as a bed time ritual. She's usually down for the night at 8. Then my husband and I have us time form 8 to roughly 9.30 which is when he goes to sleep. After that it's only me looking after our son so my husband can sleep through the night. I usually do some more work and go to sleep at around midnight but obviously very interrupted sleep since I have to get up every hour.

My husband has started complaining recently. He doesn't think I should sleep in the afternoon because during that time childcare is on him completely. He wants some time to relax when he gets home. But the thighs is, I need a few hours of uninterrupted sleep too otherwise I'll go crazy. Our son will most likely outgrow his condition and should be able to live a normal toddler life by the time he is 18 months. I can't possibly not sleep for another year and 3 months though. My husband isn't happy.

AITA?

Edit. I should clarify that I don't actually sleep at night due to the feeding pattern. My nap is the only sleep I get. My husband doesn't want a nanny and he doesn't want to be a SAHD.

Today:

quote:

It's been a while since I last posted but a lot has happened so I figured I should update you.

Making this post has been an eye opener for me and I decided there and then that I was done. So thanks to everyone who told me what I desperately needed to hear.

I started gathering evidence which would allow me to leave relatively savely. After I had enough evidence I prepared to leave. I gathered all documents and secretly packed up some stuff for the kids and myself. I informed my parents and my brother about the situation. My parents immediately turned my brother's old room into the new kids room and my old room has never stopped being mine. I waited for my husband to be gone and then my brother picked us all up.

I left a message for my husband explaining that I wasn't coming back and that I'd be filing for divorce. I also told him about all the evidence so he wouldn't do anything stupid.

I've been at my parents' for nearly a week now. We have a carer who stays here 3 nights a week and I share the other 4 nights with both my parents. My dad is retired so he looks after the kids for a good portion of the day.

I have talked to a lawyer and she said I will likely get full custody. My soon to be ex has left some nasty messages but hasn't shown up so I feel relatively safe. I don't think he will fight for custody since he was always disappointed that our daughter wasn't a son and our son isn't the strong little boy that he wanted either.

As of now I will stay with my parents. The kids are happy, my parents are happy and I had 7 hours of sleep last night.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

Well that's a quite a...

quote:

This morning, my daughter was upset that a guy had canceled her because she’s the one who usually does the ghosting.

lol get the gently caress outta here

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

1 month ago:

AITA for taking a 3 hour nap every afternoon and expecting my husband to look after the kid and only wake me up for emergencies?

Today:

Did OP reveal a bunch of other poo poo in the comments of her first post? No doubt her husband is an rear end in a top hat but going from posting on a forum about him complaining about her napping in the afternoon to leaving the house with the kids and filing for divorce seems kind of drastic.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

teen witch posted:

:holymoley:

Holy poo poo. That's one hell of a story.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SoftNum posted:

Maybe if you want your dad's cool car you don't go non contact for 4 years? Maybe you make more than a token effort to be a part of his live cause of "studies"?

Promises made as and to children aren't binding. I note there doesn't seem to be an overt concern for taking over the family business; only the 150k car.

I believe they talked in the past four years while the son was in college just never physically met. It was the 2-4 years before that after the ex-wife and son moved that they saw each other for 3-4 weekends a year.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. There's a lot of flags going on this story though like the son going to a 4 year college at 16 to be an automotive technician with plans to go work for his biological dad after without ever discussing it, despite obviously not having a close relationship and the two living apart since the son was 6-8 years old and moving away when he was 12-14 to "many states over." Sounds like a discussion they should have at some point?
the stepson getting accepted to a medical program at 16 too just makes the whole thing sound fake though

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fatkraken posted:

Not to single out a particular one, but there are way more stories lately that just SCREAM "badly executed creative writing exercise" and it's getting tiring having to peace out of the thread until discussion has run it's course.

but you just know it's true somewhere because that kind of person totally exists and is doing all these oppressive things to someone, so this is

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nurglings posted:

Did OP reveal a bunch of other poo poo in the comments of her first post? No doubt her husband is an rear end in a top hat but going from posting on a forum about him complaining about her napping in the afternoon to leaving the house with the kids and filing for divorce seems kind of drastic.

She made some thinly veiled comments that threw up a lot of red flags on the original post, including saying that he won't allow her to make changes that could let her get more sleep, "isn't the kind of guy who can be reasoned with", and won't let her hire a nanny because he's paranoid about strangers in the house. He wanted a "real job" to feel like a man instead of staying at home to help raise their kids, but he works as a personal trainer and just watches Netflix most of the day instead of working while she keeps up a full time IT job. She was basically forced to spend over 20 hours a day taking care of the family while he does nothing and he was not only refusing to dedicate even a few hours to helping, but was demanding that she effectively go on a 24-hour shift without sleep forever until the kid stops needing extra care. I can't fault her for divorcing him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for lashing out on my sister because we're going have to move because of her?

quote:

Im in a similar situation to a viral post, which inspired me to write this.

My sister (16) has been bullied by 2 girls, Sarah and Jessica over the past couple months. They share one class together. Im 17 and next year is my senior year. Ive been in this city for the entirety of high school and I love it here, I'm the founder of the hiking club where we usually pull up about 40 kilos of garbage every time we go hiking and I'm the captain of the rugby team. I'm trying to get a scholarship at the top university in another country and I'm absolutely sure i can get it.

My sister however, has been constantly complaining about how she's being bullied. Its never physical, its just some girls occasionally say mean things to her in person and occasionally online, some of which i feel like she might deserve a bit like one time where she got everyone in trouble because she refused to admit to cheating off other people on a test (she cheated off of them and copied their wrong answers word by word, teachers couldn't figure out who cheated on who and punished the whole class) . School counselors tried to bring my sister and her bullies to talk it out.

My sister demands we move because of how "stressful" it is here and how much it sucks. My parents decided that next year we will and i told my parents there's no way I'm moving, i have one year left here and I'm not moving to another school and lose everything I've worked for here, Rugby team captain, honor roll, Hiking club president, and i feel like i could be on student council next year not to mention my gf and all my friends here. My parents want to move us across state (they've been wanting to but promised me they'd wait until we finished high school) and i told them no loving way I'm doing that at a dinner discussion and I told my sister she's a selfish oval office for trying to uproot our lives because she can't fuckign stand up for herself or take some critiszim. This bullying sucks but so loving what, its a part of life and she's too much of a coward to face her problems so she's fleeing at our expense.

My parents said that if i don't live with them then we're done and I'm no longer a part of their lives. This seems to be some threat to get me to change but gently caress them for siding with my sister on this. gently caress my sister too, you hear this Veronica, yeah gently caress YOU. I plan on moving with my gf in the next week or so.

EDIT: my sister bitches about a rude comment that she reserves once or twice a week at most, instead of ignoring the person saying them or standing up for herself she decides all of us need to move and accodmate her. I was bullied severely in middle school, parents didn't do poo poo they told me to handle it on my own, and thats what i did i stood up for myself, i offered to help my sister and she refuses and tells me to go away. Also i think its worth mentioning my sister refuses to go to any schools nearby because they don't have ballet clubs there so we have to go to a faraway school with one.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't fault her for divorcing him.

The additional context makes it a lot more reasonable for sure, I feel bad for the lady

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

21st Cherry boy posted:

Cumshitter, what kind of dance did you perform at your son's wedding?

A perfect recreation of from Dance of the Hours from Fantasia with my husband (I was the hippo).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for hanging up Satanic decorations?

quote:

Posting from a throwaway. So I (21F) live with my roommate “Bethany” (19F). Bethany is an extremely religious Christian and I’m an atheist. She has hung up tons of Bible verse/Christian decorations in the shared spaces of our apartment. The other week I asked if she could keep them out of the common areas, as I’m an atheist and have had some trauma with organized religion growing up and would rather not see reminders of that every day. Bethany took this as a evidence that she’s being persecuted for her faith, and refused to take anything down.

We’re now pretty much stuck in the apartment together because of coronavirus, and it’s getting worse. Yesterday she overheard me saying some sexy things on FaceTime with my girlfriend (I was in my room) and later passive aggressively made a comment about how God can “heal” all sorts of “sinners.” I didn’t even know what to say. She left to go get groceries and while she was gone I printed out pictures of Satan, pentagrams, etc. and hung them all over the common spaces. When she came back she freaked out, started crying and accused me of bringing demons into the apartment.

I feel bad for making her cry and causing more tension, but I also feel like it’s warranted after how pushy and homophobic she’s been.

(I signed a lease for a new apartment with a more compatible roommate but that doesn’t start until August, so I have to tough out the next few months here.)

Edit: I did tell Bethany about my trauma when I originally asked her to take the decorations down.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

She made some thinly veiled comments that threw up a lot of red flags on the original post, including saying that he won't allow her to make changes that could let her get more sleep, "isn't the kind of guy who can be reasoned with", and won't let her hire a nanny because he's paranoid about strangers in the house. He wanted a "real job" to feel like a man instead of staying at home to help raise their kids, but he works as a personal trainer and just watches Netflix most of the day instead of working while she keeps up a full time IT job. She was basically forced to spend over 20 hours a day taking care of the family while he does nothing and he was not only refusing to dedicate even a few hours to helping, but was demanding that she effectively go on a 24-hour shift without sleep forever until the kid stops needing extra care. I can't fault her for divorcing him.

Sleep deprivation is no joke. People can steel their willpower to tolerate literally any hardship, but lack of sleep saps that exact willpower. You can't fight your own brain. This is why it's sometimes used as a torture device.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

That was how I felt before reading the post but apparently the son is actually into it? The drama is the fiance (understandably) not being into it and the other sons mad at him for sharing their special thing with the first son.

He doesn't sound that into it. He said the son is backing out of the lessons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for buying my niece a car?

quote:

My niece is a 17 year old rising HS senior; a little over a year ago, when she turned 16, my brother bought her a late 90’s Nissan with 200K miles on it that can be generously described as a piece of poo poo and more accurately described as a death trap. I’ve ridden in the thing twice and both times it was shaking so hard that I was legitimately afraid for my life. On top of that, the deal that my brother made with her was that he would buy the car if she paid for maintenance, which from my understanding has already exceeded what he paid for it.

So last week my brother and his family came over for dinner and my niece mentioned that the A/C on her car had stopped working, which concerned me because we live in Southeast Texas and the heat index has topped 100 degrees several times already this summer. So on Sunday I decided to go over to Carmax and buy her a new car, because as a teenager I spent a summer delivering pizzas in a car with no A/C and it was the most miserable experience of my life. I suppose I could’ve just fixed the A/C, but I thought enough money had been sunk into the car already. I bought her a completely reasonable, reliable, and affordable car (2017 Civic with 26K miles). Nothing fancy, but good enough that she won’t have to worry about car trouble again until after college.

I should note that both my wife and I are high earning professionals with no kids (by choice), so the $20K I paid for the car barely made an impact on our savings and isn’t something I thought I had to think twice about doing. My brother, on the other hand, makes ok money working a trade and his wife is a part time waitress; they’re not destitute, but they could not have easily afforded the car for themselves, let alone their teenage daughter.

I brought the car over yesterday as a surprise, and my niece was ecstatic but I could tell it was bothering my brother. He asked to talk to me privately before I left and accused me of “spoiling his kid” and “giving her handouts” and saying she should have to tough it out like we did. He wanted me to take the car back, but I refused because I think he’s being ridiculous. It’s not like I bought her a new BMW, I’m just trying to keep her safe and comfortable, because I can and because I care about her. My wife says I should’ve asked him about it first, which I probably should have, but I wanted it to be a surprise and I didn’t think anyone would be upset about it. AITA?

Reddit declared him the rear end in a top hat for not asking his brother's permission first.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

teen witch posted:

I've had to re-read this a couple times. How is her daughter the half-sibling to Joe's kids? She gave the kid she had with Joe up for adoption, and had her daughter with another guy. They aren't related at all. Or did I miss something?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for saying my mom is a lot more beautiful and successful than my stepmom?

quote:

My stepmom has always been a very insecure person. Same with my dad. He married way out of his league but his own insecurity drove my mom away.

My mom is now married to a really nice guy she met at work. My mom is very well-respected professor and really beautiful. I mean she is my mom so I'm biased but she gets a lot of compliments. We do yoga and work out together. So she does work hard at keeping up her fitness.

While I was at my dad's, I overheard my stepmom making fun of mom for apparently getting all dressed up trying to win back my dad. And she also said a few unkind words about my mom. My dad was kind of laughing.

Granted, it was their private conversation but I heard it and got mad.

I walked into the kitchen and said it's not my mom's fault my stepmom was ugly as gently caress and that she was working a lovely job.

And that there was no way my mom would try to get back with my dad. And I may or may not have called them a gremlin looking couple, which I agree was harsh.

My stepmom ended up crying and locking herself in her room. My dad was mad too but he just begged me not to tell my mom what I'd heard.

I haven't told my mom yet but I have been ignoring my stepmom and she's been hiding in her room a lot.

AITA?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for buying my niece a car?

Reddit declared him the rear end in a top hat for not asking his brother's permission first.

I would say ESH except for the niece. The guy who bought the car for not even telling his brother and thinking "20k isn't much and doesn't matter" and the brother for saying "making life hard on purpose for my daughter builds character, no handouts." I also want to call the brother a dick for buying his niece a rolling deathtrap but unreliable narrator and that might have been the best he could afford.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nurglings posted:

Yeah, I want to know what the 'evidence' is that she collected. This isn't the first time he's been outrageously selfish, I'm guessing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

limp_cheese posted:

I would say ESH except for the niece. The guy who bought the car for not even telling his brother and thinking "20k isn't much and doesn't matter" and the brother for saying "making life hard on purpose for my daughter builds character, no handouts." I also want to call the brother a dick for buying his niece a rolling deathtrap but unreliable narrator and that might have been the best he could afford.

I vote NTA purely because of the brother's reaction. Buying an expensive gift like that without warning comes off as bragging, but he seems to have truly done it out of love for his niece and concern for her well-being and finances (since he says she's already spent more on maintenance than her dad spent buying the deathtrap, which means this car is making her lose money). "My kids need to suffer like I did" automatically makes you the bad guy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for telling my coworker to STFU about The Office?

quote:

I have a coworker who in my opinion is unhealthily obsessed with the TV show The Office. I actually used to like The Office but this dude has completely ruined it for me. It ended seven loving years ago and my coworker will not shut the gently caress up about it. We are recently back at work after our state reopened and taking a long break from him has made me realize how much he's ruining my day with his nonstop chatter about this loving show. I am not exaggerating, he keeps a running tally of how many times he's watched this show and it's at something like 40 full watches right now.

Everyone who works in our office has been assigned a The Office character based on his assessment of our personalities. He calls a girl he thinks is hot Pam, for example. It's obvious she's not flattered by the comparison. I get called Dwight or Stanley. He makes "that's what she said" jokes multiple times a day. He tries to pull idiotic pranks on people. He seriously suggested doing an awards ceremony similar to the Dundees at our retreat later this year. He quotes obscure lines from the show constantly and nobody has any idea what he's referring to. It never loving ends with this dude. Some of my coworkers are polite about it, but it's clear nobody else is into it and he never talks about anything else.

Multiple people have tried to gently tell him they don't care about The Office, like when he quotes a line from the show we're just like "oh, I don't know that scene" and he completely doesn't understand that we have no interest in a play by play description of what happens. People will literally walk away and he will follow continuing to describe whatever bullshit he's referring to. I have told him to stop calling me by character names whenever I do something "like" that character and he just doubles down. Many of us are now going out of our way to avoid talking to him at all.

On Friday, he made another loving "that's what she said" joke and I snapped and told him to shut the gently caress up about the show, that nobody gives a poo poo about this show that premiered 15 loving years ago, and his obsession with it is creepy and annoying.

He looked like I stabbed him and we didn't speak for the rest of the day. He's been avoiding me today, too. Two of my coworkers think I was too harsh. I have no idea if he's still talking about the show with other people. I don't want to apologize because honestly I'm not sorry, but I guess I will if it sounds like this could become an HR issue. TBH the peace I've experienced today is worth burning this particular bridge.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AITA for stating that I hoped my next child would be a boy?

quote:

To preface, I’m the father of a beautiful 3 year old girl whose mother and I are no longer together. Although my daughter is my world, I hope to be remarried in the future and have more children because I always saw myself having a lot of kids. The other day, I made a comment while on the phone to my friend which I honestly thought was fairly innocuous.

Growing up, my father and I always played sports together, loved roughhousing with one another, etc. I know that girls can and do enjoy this too, but I have taken psychology classes before and I know that stuff like this is more naturally inclined toward boys. I think it is polite fiction to think that there are absolutely no differences between male and female children.

While I was talking to my friend, I mentioned that if I ever was able to find someone to have another child with, I would of course love them despite their gender, but I would love to have a boy because I would have someone to throw my ball around with.

My friend called me an idiot, and told me that having a gender preference was potentially harmful, and I should rethink my priorities before trying to have another child. Personally I don’t why what I said was so wrong, AITA?