Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Paul MaudDib posted:

one thing I noticed after I bought a Signals is that the app is like hilariously low-rated on the app store, 1.5 stars

The app is dogshit, so that is a generous rating. Any time I go to use it with the Smoke + Gateway it ends up needing to be re-synchronized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I view the Smoke X vs Signals thing as like its only $40ish dollars more and might as well get that functionality rather than want it later. I havne't pulled the trigger yet but I want to.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

All the "best thermometers" listicles say not to get a remote thermometer because it's soooooo hard to get working and is a gimmick, which makes me think that the vast majority of grillers / smokers are 90 year old tech illiterates

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Nice. Got a bigger pic of your table? I'm going to end up building another for my second Kamado Joe.

sure here ya go:

BraveUlysses posted:

hello smokethread, i recently built a table for my XL big green egg

big thanks to all the goons in DIY woodworking who answered my dumb questions

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I’ll say the more tech I throw at smoking the more problems I’ve had. I’m a big fan of the just the maverick two probe analog wireless thermometer. Anything app based has been a nightmare (looking at you Weber).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bob A Feet posted:

I’ll say the more tech I throw at smoking the more problems I’ve had. I’m a big fan of the just the maverick two probe analog wireless thermometer. Anything app based has been a nightmare (looking at you Weber).

I use a cheap inkbird 4-probe unit with Bluetooth. It cost like $40 on amazon and the temperatures sync up with my Dot.

The good things are it has a rechargeable battery and it has Bluetooth with an app. The bad thing is it doesn’t store the data. So if I left the app on and near the thermometer for an entire cook, I’d see a sweet graph like fire board does, but I can’t store it anywhere. If the app ever disconnects then the chart just randomly starts all over again so it’s hard to check trends or see how long something stalled for.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tomfoolery posted:

All the "best thermometers" listicles say not to get a remote thermometer because it's soooooo hard to get working and is a gimmick, which makes me think that the vast majority of grillers / smokers are 90 year old tech illiterates

Yeah, until you realize most of the people that design the poo poo are 90 and your data is leaked.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, until you realize most of the people that design the poo poo are 90 and your data is leaked.

noooo my secret recipe for hickory smoked horse buttholes

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Since it's the last day of the ThermoWorks 20% sale, do you guys get a lot of value seeing temp graphs from your cooks? Outside of nerding out about stats that is. Does it actually help you improve future cooks?

I'm considering buying a Smoke/Signals but I've got an off-model dual-probe thermometer that works fine right now. Doesn't seem like there'd be much to improve on a probe thermometer like there is in upgrading to a Thermapen's quicker readings.

Well, it's basically an automated form of journalling.

Does keeping a journal help you with future cooks? Yes, if you actually do enough cooking to generate useful data, and if you take it seriously. Using it once in a while won't do much, and if you never consult it you won't get anything out of it. But if you do enough cooking that you start to gain insight into how much extra fuel and time you will need on a windy or chilly day or you can estimate time adjustments based on the weight of your shoulder/brisket/roast, then yes it can be very useful - it can really help you build your intuition around smoking and save a lot of late dinners.

For instance I smoke a turkey at Thanksgiving and Easter and it's useful to be able to look at the weather on those days and how long the cook took (and at what pit temp), so that I can plan for when I need to stop playing with the kids and start sunday's feast. Same goes for the last pork shoulder I made, or the supermarket ribs that I buy that are always more or less the same size + cut. If you take good notes you can experiment more to really improve what you're doing - my easter turkey wasn't as good as the thanksgiving one, for example, and since I wrote down my numbers I know it's because I didn't use as much wood. The key of course is to have a consistent approach and only tweak one or two variables at a time.

But if you don't take good notes or don't use it enough to generate good data, then it won't help you very much. Is an automated one better than a manual one? Depends on how well you take notes - for me, I have two kids and I'm not THAT into it so it (cyberQ cloud) gives me enough to work with. I ended up modifying it to work with an app called "BBQ Pit Pal" / "The Pit Pal" and my only complaint is that it doesn't have push/app notifications for things like pit temp or done temp... kind of a gigantic oversight for a BBQ app...

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 20, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are y’all doing for Memorial Day weekend? I need food ideas.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got the other 12lb butt from the Costco 2 pack thawing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I've got a 7.5 lb butt thawing right now. Gonna smoke it Sunday.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I think a mix of beef and pork ribs, corn on the cob, some jalapeño poppers.... and a poo poo load of beer.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Might do a brisket.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kalman posted:

Might do a brisket.

Me too, if I can find one. Last time I was at costco they had absolutely no fresh beef and they only pork was shoulder (which came out real nice).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Republicans posted:

Me too, if I can find one. Last time I was at costco they had absolutely no fresh beef and they only pork was shoulder (which came out real nice).

Mine’s the opposite - plenty of brisket but almost no pork of any type (and definitely not shoulder or I’d have bought a few to throw in the freezer for later use.)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Got the Smoke X today as well as notification that the billows blower shipped (which they said would be around at the end of the month) so happy day since I got a brisket I've been sitting on.

Not that it matters much but the thing is built like a beast. Both components weigh around 3 times what my Maverick was.

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.
Wanted to chime in on the Signals discussion: I bought a Signals and Billows for my WSM during that 20% off sale, and unboxed it and got it set up today.

Initially had issues with the wifi; it wouldn't connect to my network at all. But I turned on a "guest" ssid in 2.4ghz mode (with WPA2), and it connected to that instantly.

I haven't had a chance to cook yet, but I've left it on my back porch and have been periodically checking the graphs just to assess connectivity. So far so good after a few hours! It claims it's getting -27 dbm signal strength back there, which doesn't even make sense; default placeholder value or something?

Edit: also connected the billows and that works fine too! Obviously all it does at room temp is sit there and spin, but I'm encouraged.

antisocial democrat fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 21, 2020

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I. M. Gei posted:

Smoking a couple of pork butts that I got at the store this week. I haven't smoked in ages, though. What's the current standard advice on the actual cooking method? TVWB (was my go-to back in the day) says 225-250. The BBQ with Franklin series says 275, and then he foils it. I'm going to kick it off before dawn tomorrow in hopes that I'll be able to let it rest and be ready to pull in 12 hours or less. These are two ~7.5 lb boneless butts and they're going on my 22" WSM with regular Kingsford and some apple wood.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up some nice looking pre-seasoned drumsticks at Costco today, gonna give smoking those bad boys a go this evening.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Easychair Bootson posted:

Smoking a couple of pork butts that I got at the store this week. I haven't smoked in ages, though. What's the current standard advice on the actual cooking method? TVWB (was my go-to back in the day) says 225-250. The BBQ with Franklin series says 275, and then he foils it. I'm going to kick it off before dawn tomorrow in hopes that I'll be able to let it rest and be ready to pull in 12 hours or less. These are two ~7.5 lb boneless butts and they're going on my 22" WSM with regular Kingsford and some apple wood.

Kinda hard to mess up pork butt. I smoked mine for about 8 hours at 275 then threw them in a covered roasted pan with a little apple cider vinegar and put it in a 200 oven until the bone pulled out effortlessly, which was maybe 2-3 hours later.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The UltraQ showed up today. Hoooooly poo poo it is so much nicer than the cyber Q, which was also nice but this is next level.

Now I have to find meat to smoke this weekend.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Republicans posted:

Kinda hard to mess up pork butt. I smoked mine for about 8 hours at 275 then threw them in a covered roasted pan with a little apple cider vinegar and put it in a 200 oven until the bone pulled out effortlessly, which was maybe 2-3 hours later.

Yeah I've done it several times but it's been years. I put it on at 5:15 this morning and will cook in the 250-275 range.

My go-to method (and rub) has always been the renowned Mr. Brown, which has you do a rub of equal parts paprika, pepper, and turbinado sugar plus salt and other stuff at 225. I've been happy with the bark that it produces in the past, but I'm wondering if the slightly higher temperature I'm using today will take the bark too far. Should I foil it at some point? Am I overthinking it (almost certainly).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Oh yeah, you’re over thinking it. As long as the insides moist, I’ve never minded too much bark. Bark is so temperamental anyway.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
A butt's bark is usually worse than its bite.
:dadjoke:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bean tray aficionados, when do you put the tray under the butt and how long do you leave it there? I don't like my beans too mushy so don't want to screw that up.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I realized yesterday the 7 lb pork butt I got out on Tuesday to smoke this weekend was still rock solid. I think because it got pushed back to the back of the fridge :cry:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Crack a beer, put it on the smoker. The heat will thaw it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

I realized yesterday the 7 lb pork butt I got out on Tuesday to smoke this weekend was still rock solid. I think because it got pushed back to the back of the fridge :cry:

put in a bucket of cold water, it will thaw very fast

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I was gonna say a smoker don't give a gently caress what temp you start at.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Won't you end up drying out the outside because the inside takes longer to get up to temp?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The whole food safety thing would get me too.

Speaking of, how is it safe to take an 8 pound pork shoulder and cook it at 225? It’s not like it hits 140 degrees within two hours.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

nwin posted:

Speaking of, how is it safe to take an 8 pound pork shoulder and cook it at 225? It’s not like it hits 140 degrees within two hours.

I do it all the time. The inside of whole muscle meat is usually considered sterile.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Also smoky salty environments are not generally hospitable to growth of foodborne pathogens.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Excited for Sunday. Going to pre-cook a bit for Memorial Day. The weather is supposed to be poo poo for a good bit of it, but I have a slightly covered space that's going to help me sort it. I have a pack of 3 pork loin back ribs & some wings. Going to try to round up a pork butt as well. Most of the food is for other folks, but one rack of ribs is for me. I'm debating on experimenting with butcher paper wrapping on my rack of ribs. Not really a fan of the 3-2-1 method with foil. Happen to have the butcher paper on hand for briskets, so its no big deal. Just an extra step. Oh and I'm doing the wings around a Weber Vortex. It's really hard to mess that up and it's so quick. Most likely will do those the day of though if it's not too crappy weather wise, otherwise they're going on the insulated smoker.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2020

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

nwin posted:

Yeah, but if you wait until it gets to 190+ before pulling it (or realistically way below that), it will be fully pasteurized regardless of whatever time it spent in a danger zone. Just like why you can sous vide chicken or pork at 145 and be perfectly safe.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Hey quick update i took it to 195 and it was delicious. Shocking I know

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Hmm so if I throw it on the smoker still frozen inside it won't mess up / overcook the outer part that did thaw? I'm skeptical about that but at the same time it does make sense with low and slow.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dango Bango posted:

Hmm so if I throw it on the smoker still frozen inside it won't mess up / overcook the outer part that did thaw? I'm skeptical about that but at the same time it does make sense with low and slow.

I was too hasty last week and put a partly frozen butt on. Looked beautiful at the end bark wise, but was the first tough shoulder I have ever made. I'll never smoke again until completely thawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

The UltraQ showed up today. Hoooooly poo poo it is so much nicer than the cyber Q, which was also nice but this is next level.

Now I have to find meat to smoke this weekend.

Do you mind giving a thorough review of the UltraQ once you've got yourself familiar with it?