Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Gunder posted:

There have been studies that show that distributors actually serve to lower extraction, not increase it. So take any pro-distributor testimonials with a grain of salt.

Do you have a link? It doesn't make logical sense to me but maybe I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

kemikalkadet posted:

Do you have a link? It doesn't make logical sense to me but maybe I'm missing something.

http://socraticcoffee.com/2016/12/examining-the-impact-of-the-ocd-on-total-dissolved-solids-extraction/

The conclusion:

quote:

Because our dose and final beverage mass does not vary significantly between conditions, any differences observed in TDS can be extrapolated to differences in extraction yield (EY). Our last hypothesis, regarding the interaction between the independent variables, would suggest that an effect seen when using the OCD would be evident with all grinders. This could be related to consistency in the OCD’s effect. Our results may suggest variability inherent in the grinder itself with regard to TDS/EY can overcome any negative impact on extraction created by the OCD.

Did the OCD lead to more consistent extractions? Given our data, this does not appear to be true. Using our metrics (TDS and shot time), “more consistent” would imply “less variability within a condition”. The amount of variability did not vary between OCD and non-OCD conditions. The most consistent effect was a reduction of shot TDS when using the OCD. For shot time, in two of the three grinders used, there did appear to be a slight reduction in overall variability after use of the OCD (the significant interaction effect). However, this was not seen for all grinders and did not alter the overall extraction of dissolved solids.

Why the OCD consistently reduced extractions is not clear. Tamping provides a compression force to coffee particles in a puck. The OCD device may apply a significant amount of shear force. Why the OCD’s effect was so pronounced with all grinders only in TDS and not shot time is also not understood. Any negative impact the OCD may have on coffee particle arrangement, bed architecture, etc. that could potentially impact extraction would seemingly have a corresponding impact on shot time.

We intentionally did not collect or present any subjective data. We feel it is the role of the barista/café owner to determine the desired taste given his/her equipment, coffee, water, and preference. Our data is meant to compliment and better inform the coffee community so that they may arrive at their desired taste more efficiently, effectively, and consistently. It is possible the OCD shots of lower TDS/EY would be preferred by the barista/consumer. Further, while somewhat unlikely, it may be possible that the content of extracted solubles differed when using the OCD.

That's the first one I found. I'm sure I've also heard of another one that was mentioned a while back in one of James Hoffmann's espresso videos. He's not a fan of distributors either.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 21, 2020

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I use a distributor prior to tamping with my Lelit Anna/Eureka Specialita and it's worked out excellently for me - maybe it's due to improving technique, but I've been getting no spray with my bottomless PF extractions lately.

Also, strong endorse for Ceremony Coffee. I think Onyx Monarch is still my favorite espresso, but I'm finishing up a bag of Ceremony's Destroyer blend and it's a great change of pace. They're local-ish, too which is nice - they're in Annapolis, but I can find the beans easily here in the DC area

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Got myself a Furno 500, 32oz dog bowl, and some sweet Maria's. Now to wait for the beans :(

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

bizwank posted:

So, I think I've installed around 40 PIDs at this point in my career, mostly on Silvias (two of those were my personal machines) but also the occasional Gaggia Classic or Ascaso Dream. It's often difficult for me to quantify how "easy" a given repair would be for the layperson, but installing a PID on a Silvia, is very very easy (provided you've purchased an all-in-one kit designed for it). All you're doing is attaching wires and a few small components; you'll need a couple different screwdrivers and 2-4 hours. I almost exclusively use the kits from Auber Instruments; they have a wide variety of options (get the pre-infusion), great documentation and support if you need it. Yes you can DIY a PID from Ebay parts or whatever for a lot cheaper, but only if you don't value your time because programming them is no small feat. And if, in the end, you find the PID isn't enough and you need to replace the machine, Silvias hold their resale value very well and you just added about $200 to yours.
Thanks for the specific reco on a PID brand--there are a lot out there and it's a bit confusing on which would be best.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
To clarify, I also went with the all-in-one Auber kit which has everything you need. It was my first time tinkering with my machine and I did a full boiler strip and clean along with it which is probably part of the reason I took so long.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

After like, what, two or three years? Bothered buying an automatic grinder, having used the hario skerton the entire while until just recently some light roast yirgacheffe brought me to my knees.

Jesus christ why was I even bothering, this is so much easier and it's way more consistent. I bought some completely whatever bean blend and it brought a second life to it. gently caress me. :negative:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Kalsco posted:

After like, what, two or three years? Bothered buying an automatic grinder, having used the hario skerton the entire while until just recently some light roast yirgacheffe brought me to my knees.

Jesus christ why was I even bothering, this is so much easier and it's way more consistent. I bought some completely whatever bean blend and it brought a second life to it. gently caress me. :negative:

Well what did you buy :ohdear:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah that's me but I'm still using the skerton :ohdear:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is the information in the OP still good with regards to roasting your own coffee? I've never done it and was thinking of buying a stove-top unit.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

moctopus posted:

Is the information in the OP still good with regards to roasting your own coffee? I've never done it and was thinking of buying a stove-top unit.

It's not a bad way to go but I would recommend you only do that if you're going to be doing it outside. Roasting coffee indoors is kind of a terrible experience; it puts out a lot of smoke and the chaff goes everywhere. Some of the best results (especially if you want to roast more than a few grams at a time) on the cheap can come from a metal bowl, some heat-proof gloves, and a good heat gun.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mediaphage posted:

It's not a bad way to go but I would recommend you only do that if you're going to be doing it outside. Roasting coffee indoors is kind of a terrible experience; it puts out a lot of smoke and the chaff goes everywhere. Some of the best results (especially if you want to roast more than a few grams at a time) on the cheap can come from a metal bowl, some heat-proof gloves, and a good heat gun.

I roast on a table next to an open window, and have a box fan set up on the windowsill to blow air out the window, It maybe roasts 50-75g at a time but I've run a few batches in a row through it without issue.

The only downside is that if you do it while the wind is blowing back into the window you end up with a house smelling like you burnt a bag of popcorn in every room.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

i own every Bionicle posted:

Well what did you buy :ohdear:

Baratza Virtuoso+.

Probably a bit overkill for my use case (primarily pourover with a v60). I'm willing to concede that I may have been setting my skerton to an improper grind but it was always such a chore to adjust it. I've had killer cups with it, mind, but I somehow managed to bring out a brightness and kinda lemony tone to the beans which I never was able to before.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Do you have a recommendation for a heat gun? I didn't even know these existed. And as crazy as it sounds, a recommendation for what would count as a quality metal bowl?

Thanks for helping me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I roast on a table next to an open window, and have a box fan set up on the windowsill to blow air out the window, It maybe roasts 50-75g at a time but I've run a few batches in a row through it without issue.

The only downside is that if you do it while the wind is blowing back into the window you end up with a house smelling like you burnt a bag of popcorn in every room.

To me that's enough on it's own to make it a bad idea. Plus it makes me cough, others YMMV but I don't think it's a great idea regardless, honestly.

moctopus posted:

Do you have a recommendation for a heat gun? I didn't even know these existed. And as crazy as it sounds, a recommendation for what would count as a quality metal bowl?

Thanks for helping me.

Honestly whatever you can get on sale that has variable heat settings is probably fine; preferably more than high and low but you can also modulate with distance.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mediaphage posted:

To me that's enough on it's own to make it a bad idea. Plus it makes me cough, others YMMV but I don't think it's a great idea regardless, honestly.

Honestly whatever you can get on sale that has variable heat settings is probably fine; preferably more than high and low but you can also modulate with distance.

fair enough, my conditions are unique enough that bad winter weather almost never involves wind blowing back into the windows, but it's situational enough that it's probably good to not roast inside if you can help it.

It's just that roasting outside in a blizzard/sub-freezing temperatures are awful.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone here own a high end double boiler machine (2-3K?) I’m been saving for one for a while, but I’m undecided on which one and whether or not it’s a huge waste over say, a 1000$ heat exchanger machine.

Mostly making milk drinks and Americanos, some espresso.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone here own a high end double boiler machine (2-3K?) I’m been saving for one for a while, but I’m undecided on which one and whether or not it’s a huge waste over say, a 1000$ heat exchanger machine.

A HX machine should be more than enough for home use, all a double boiler really gets you is more capacity for making lots of drinks one right after another. I like the Rocket's fit and finish, but make sure whatever you're buying can be serviced locally as you really don't want to be shipping a ~60lb machine across the country every time it needs some work.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kalsco posted:

Baratza Virtuoso+.

Probably a bit overkill for my use case (primarily pourover with a v60). I'm willing to concede that I may have been setting my skerton to an improper grind but it was always such a chore to adjust it. I've had killer cups with it, mind, but I somehow managed to bring out a brightness and kinda lemony tone to the beans which I never was able to before.

You made a good choice. And the Hario grinders are all trash and i wish people would stop recommending them. They are strictly for use during camping or if you're desperate IMO. Though to be fair the newer Hario Skerton Pro is very easy to adjust the grind.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

You made a good choice. And the Hario grinders are all trash and i wish people would stop recommending them. They are strictly for use during camping or if you're desperate IMO. Though to be fair the newer Hario Skerton Pro is very easy to adjust the grind.

Yeah. I got a Hario because I haven’t had my grinder for a week. It’s okay. Annoying to adjust, and I have some Ethiopian beans that feel like grinding gravel. It’s good for what it is, which is a cheap portable grinder that’s relatively consistent, but not super great. Does middle of the road beans well, and has kept me drinking decent coffee when no other socially distant options were available.

I’ll be happy when I have my regular powered burr grinders back though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mu Zeta posted:

Or...if you don't want to spend much on a grinder in case you don't end up wanting to make coffee that often? Why is it a bad recommendation for a starter? Is there a similarly priced better alternative?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

bizwank posted:

A HX machine should be more than enough for home use, all a double boiler really gets you is more capacity for making lots of drinks one right after another. I like the Rocket's fit and finish, but make sure whatever you're buying can be serviced locally as you really don't want to be shipping a ~60lb machine across the country every time it needs some work.

Yeah, the Rocket machines are gorgeous, best looking ones in my opinion. Whatever machine I end up buying, I intend to keep for a long time so serviceability is also a plus which lead me towards ECM. I do host a fair number of dinners and brunches, so being able to crank out lattes fast would be super nice.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I got a Breville BES920XL a couple months ago that I have been happy with so far.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

silvergoose posted:

Or...if you don't want to spend much on a grinder in case you don't end up wanting to make coffee that often? Why is it a bad recommendation for a starter? Is there a similarly priced better alternative?

I think it's a bad idea because you won't use it anymore once you get a real grinder. There is an OXO grinder that goes on sale for ~$80 or you can save a little more for a Baratza. If $40 is all you can afford then I put that in the desperate category, but anyone posting here will move onto a better grinder for home use.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's a bad idea because you won't use it anymore once you get a real grinder. There is an OXO grinder that goes on sale for ~$80 or you can save a little more for a Baratza. If $40 is all you can afford then I put that in the desperate category, but anyone posting here will move onto a better grinder for home use.

Lol. Desperate? Jeez.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Anyway for actual content: brewed some of the El Salvador Caturra Black Honey processed batch this morning. Crazy smooth, very low acid - which sometimes leaves a coffee feeling flat but this was nice. Nothing too stand outish in terms of flavour notes, but still a nice drink. It was even drinkable cold when I picked up my mug later, which is often when most coffee will taste sour ime.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes, because using the hario sucks. I have one. I also have the Porlex and the Hario slim mill. They are all bad.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Javapresse grinder is better and cheaper than the Skerton.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes, because using the hario sucks. I have one. I also have the Porlex and the Hario slim mill. They are all bad.

Yeah, I don't care about the hario, I just think it's a little insulting to suggest that anyone who can't or doesn't want to spend a ton on a grinder should be called 'desperate.' Honestly those aren't really competing with some of the grinders people in this thread tend to use as much as they are the people who are using those tiny spice grinders and looking for something different, imo.

Clark Nova posted:

The Javapresse grinder is better and cheaper than the Skerton.

I haven't heard a lot good about it from people who've used it, but I haven't used any of these small hand grinders so I'm hardly an expert on them. I am still on the lookout for one to take on christmas trips, though.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

For whatever it's worth, I was fine using mine until I absolutely wasn't. Mind, my coffee habits went from explicitly only Central American medium-ish roasts to (mostly) single origin African light roast and there's a world of difference in terms of what the skerton will tolerate. The tiny rear end light roast beans may as well be rocks in it.

I generally found that the peak, in terms of flavour expression, was probably around like day 3, lasting maybe a day or two with a general trend in depreciating flavour lasting 'til the two week mark where it's mostly very similar until I deplete it all (I buy in 340g lots). For reference, this ambiguous bag of beans I'm using now is some sort of medium roast, non-country/region specific blend (bought in a fit of desperation because COVID ain't makin it easy). It doesn't have a roast date, but it's still from a third wave company that offers single origins whathaveyous with roast dates. With zero indication when it was roasted, being about a week or so in, the grinder is definitely carrying it way harder than I thought was possible. When I bought the virtuoso I thought I was just buying into a convenient way to not have to grind anymore, but I guess I was just getting a not-so-great grind anyway because I'm enjoying the same coffee now in a way that I definitely wasn't before.

I think if you are enjoying the coffee you have now and aren't dreading grinding beans, keep at it. But for me, it's a little bit of a Pandora's Box. I never want to have to go back, if only for the convenience, but also for flavour.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've recently discovered a Baratza Vario in my girlfriend's closet which belonged to her late brother. Apparently it doesn't work but her and the family don't really know what the issue is. Are there are any common issues these tend to have?

I believe there is a local service agent (I'm not in the US) who could maybe service it. Considering this is a pretty expensive grinder am I going to be looking at $$$ to get it working? Or are parts fairly reasonable?

I'm assuming this will be more than fine for pour-over once working?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm a massive cheapskate so if the Skerton had been a bitch to use but turned out a really consistent grind I would probably still be using it today but honestly it's just a bitch to use and grinds super inconsistently. I think you can buy a piece that stabilizes the top burr to make it more consistent but why

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Red_Fred posted:

I've recently discovered a Baratza Vario in my girlfriend's closet which belonged to her late brother. Apparently it doesn't work but her and the family don't really know what the issue is. Are there are any common issues these tend to have?

I believe there is a local service agent (I'm not in the US) who could maybe service it. Considering this is a pretty expensive grinder am I going to be looking at $$$ to get it working? Or are parts fairly reasonable?

Baratza is pretty good at supporting their products and they sell a lot of parts on their site, but with shipping to wherever you live it may not be cheap.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Frank Dillinger posted:

I make two drinks a day (both with milk), and my Rocket Mozzafiato Evo R is more than enough. On the one or two times a year a bunch of guests all want coffee, the gating factor is still that I hand grind every shot on my Helor Flux. The Rocket Apartamento is nice too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Baratza has some decent troubleshooting, etc. stuff on their website. Any idea what about it doesn’t work? I’ve had grounds get stuck in the switch inside the housing before that prevented contact/motor power and all it took was a screwdriver and a can of compressed air to fix.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Red_Fred posted:

https://www.baratza.com/shop/vario-repair . This will be more than fine for pour-over once you get it repaired by Baratza; it's a entry/mid-level espresso grinder so it can do pour-over easily.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

Similar use case here. I have an old NS oscar I that works greats for us. I’ve pumped out steam and shots all morning long for guests without a problem.

Not as pretty as apartemento tho.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone looking for entry level roasting should look at the gene cafe. It’s a little pricy (~$600) but I can roast on it in my kitchen with a duct going to the window and not cause the whole house to fill up with smoke. Once you go from medium to dark (around 2nd crack) the smoke gets a little out of control. The way it works all the chaff is collected in the exhaust so it’s pretty easy to clean that out. It has a safety feature so you can’t really roast unattended. Highly recommend for folks looking to roast 2-5 lbs in a sitting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

milkman dad posted:

Anyone looking for entry level roasting should look at the gene cafe. It’s a little pricy (~$600) but I can roast on it in my kitchen with a duct going to the window and not cause the whole house to fill up with smoke. Once you go from medium to dark (around 2nd crack) the smoke gets a little out of control. The way it works all the chaff is collected in the exhaust so it’s pretty easy to clean that out. It has a safety feature so you can’t really roast unattended. Highly recommend for folks looking to roast 2-5 lbs in a sitting.

I definitely recommend this over the behmor (which i started with) if you're willing to spend that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone work at a Lelit distributor for the US? I'm trying to get my hands on a Mara X, even if it is just a preorder with an expected delivery date a month or two out. I'd take a return /open box / used unit also.

I'm worried about them selling out as soon as they come back into stock.