Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have a Spectre from HP

Loudest fans of any laptop I have ever had and they run more often too. Which tbh isn't surprising since it's p thin

I do like the weight and size and most the other stuff about it though. It's a good laptop for sure.

Also I do not like the placement of the SIM card or the case screws they used

Also 2 usbc/tb3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've only had experience with fairly low end hp devices, but they've all been pretty bad

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rinkles posted:

I've only had experience with fairly low end hp devices, but they've all been pretty bad

Low-end every laptop around, you mean. Have you ever used a cheap Dell or Asus laptop? They're pretty bad too. But high-end Dell laptops are mostly great machines, just like the top tier HP or Lenovo stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Low-end every laptop around, you mean. Have you ever used a cheap Dell or Asus laptop? They're pretty bad too. But high-end Dell laptops are mostly great machines, just like the top tier HP or Lenovo stuff.

Low end Dell laptop 6-7 years ago, and yes, was also unimpressed. The current 15" Inspiron I was gifted has actually been decent (except something about the keyboard's busted. Doesn't work right when booted unpowered, but I have a few more months of warranty.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
gently caress these YouTube laptop disassembly videos that are totally unrehearsed guy randomly taking out screws, prying and taking out more screws until stuff comes apart. By the time he gets access to some critical innard component he’s taken out 200% more screws than necessary. Imagine a car repair video trying to replace the radiator and by the time the rad is out the entire car is disassembled and the pistons are out and oil everywhere.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
At work we've been using thousands of HP Elitebooks for probably over half a decade. As far as I know they have worked great, at least better than the Acers we used for a while. After the latest tender we've switched to Thinkpads and I don't think they've been a noticeable improvement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

gently caress these YouTube laptop disassembly videos that are totally unrehearsed guy randomly taking out screws, prying and taking out more screws until stuff comes apart. By the time he gets access to some critical innard component he’s taken out 200% more screws than necessary. Imagine a car repair video trying to replace the radiator and by the time the rad is out the entire car is disassembled and the pistons are out and oil everywhere.

Is that not how you're supposed to work on cars?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Is that not how you're supposed to work on cars?

Car repair videos and channels on youtube seem so much better regardless of the production quality. I guess that's par for the course for screwdriver tech vs wrenching. Computer repair videos can be cringe bad like why even both uploading?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well this 12 year old thermal paste on a Dell laptop has turned into hard plastic. Coverage was decent but didn't do poo poo because an air gap had formed over the entire die. I'm surprised it ran at all and I was able to install Win10(on the third attempt) but it did randomly power off. Temps on the 2nd core would go from 40C right up to 100C instantly with that air gap.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

etalian posted:

Looks like some reviews are out for the Dell XPS 15 re-design

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/dell-xps-15-2020
They ruined the arrow keys.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Looks like a different hinge design too?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

krysmopompas posted:

They ruined the arrow keys.

it must be a law of the universe where one company fixes their arrow keys (razer) another one ruins them (dell)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

so i have an xps 15 keyboard open and in front of me and tbh i think you guys are overreacting :shrug:

i compared the change and it seems like, while, admittedly less visually appealing, they should be fully functional as actual keys.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I can only gently caress with inverted t arrows. That same layout drove me nuts on my old razer stealth, and i would never go with it again unless I had absolutely no other choice.

I’d go so far as to get a lenovo x1 again.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Now that all the drivers and hardware and stuff is mature and maybe can be compared; in terms of a 1050ti and 1650, both in comparable notebooks etc, what's the % performance difference? 40%

I'm trying to get a mental ballpark going of how excited to be for the next gen of low power cards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok I need a Dell guru/computer toucher

Dell XPS 15 9570 i7... 2018 model?

Trying to install windows 10 from scratch off a USB stick. It is a 16gb USB 2.0 stick. I get past the initial screen and then it's says,

infernal error message posted:

a media driver your computer needs is missing. this could be a DVD, USB or hard disk driver. if you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with the driver in it, please insert it now

So, I think this is the Intel RST driver? For the nvme disk? I found a copy from January 2019 and put it on another USB stick and it seems to be able to find it ok, but then I get this error

more fun posted:

no new devices drivers were found. make sure installation media contains the correct drivers

Specifically it has these two options

Intel chipset says/pcie rst premium controller
Intel RST software components extension

Neither work

:psyduck:

What driver and what version do I need? Seems like these drivers go back 10 years and 15 versions and they add/drop support

Would be easier if windows was more specific of which driver

The Dell forums are super useless, some autist gently caress named speedstep spams the same unhelpful message to every poor sap over and over it's infuriating

TL;Dr

ha;lp

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Intel RST driver should not need to be installed at time of initial Windows install. I would first check to make sure that I am using the latest version installer, use a USB 3.0 device to make my life less miserable, and ignore that specific warning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I started off using a USB 3.0 drive, then switched to 2.0,, and I don't seem to be able to skip the prompt, and yeah it's the latest version off of Microsoft's website

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is the boot USB possibly not UEFI?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some Dell specific person will chime in here with the correct answer sooner or later

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently this might be related to realtek revoking their driver certificate and that severely loving with the 1903 release of windows 10

I found the realtek sd card drivers and booted/installed windows off of that instead of usb

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 20, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

wtf is this 1991

i was gonna say, ive reinstalled w10 across 3 different dell laptops from this era (8th gen intel or beyond) a multitude of times (on NVME) and never had this problem

the only time ive had issues with NVME and installing an OS on dell seems to be with linux :shrug:

i do not blame you for assuming it was some bullshit dell chicanery

E: can i just reiterate that my mind is blown that u basically had to do the equivalent of a boot floppy in 2020 because of a hosed sound driver lmfao, ah poo poo, i almost wish that had happened to me
e2: i will say i have ultimately switched out the boot drive on my xps 13/15 from NVME to just SATA3 because eliminating any trace of bullshit was just way easier and...well...its not like im really gonna notice the difference the way i use these laptops. the way theyre designed stock probably doesnt have the thermals to support an SSD thinking too hard anyway :shrug:

while we're on the subject of great dell decisions of recent memory... am i not allowed to undervolt my 9th gen i7 on my xps 15 anymore/still or did i misread that? i havent used it for anything beyond discord since quarantine mostly

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 20, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's not really a Dell decision, it's an Intel one.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Correct, you can’t undervolt anymore after the latest bios update.

However, the geniuses at Dell did a half-arsed job and after updating you can reset the bios settings to factory default and it reenables undervolting. So you can at least work around it for now

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bull3964 posted:

That's not really a Dell decision, it's an Intel one.

webmeister posted:

Correct, you can’t undervolt anymore after the latest bios update.

However, the geniuses at Dell did a half-arsed job and after updating you can reset the bios settings to factory default and it reenables undervolting. So you can at least work around it for now

so is this a permanent change with the 9 series and i gather 10 series? because tbh rolling back to factory default drivers to make my pc thermally stable after i fixed that the right way a year ago

losing the ability to sanely control voltage in these things going forward is not great

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Plundervolt goes all the way back to 6th gen. So, depending on how many products are supported by manufacturers, elimination of undervolting is likely to go back even further. Since it's a hardware issue, there will never be an actual fix for it so the lack of undervolting is here to stay.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

actually thats my bad- i guess i meant on theoretical next gen processors, is this vulnerability already accounted for in the newer designs or whatever. theres less and less reason to keep this xps 15 every day so im already looking at what to replace it with

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We don't really know yet. I would doubt tiger lake has this fixed since it would have had to have been taped out long ago.

I mean, we could also hope that intel gets their TDP under control so we don't need to undervolt.

If you really want to not worry about either of the issues (pludervolt or undervolting), go Ryzen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

god its going to feel weird to be able to pay less for a better product again

one of the smaller (wtf are we calling these 13/14 inch things with good video cards? is this an ultrabook now? too bad powerbook is taken, rip) next gen ryzen with a next gen nvidia card is gonna scream

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrGhnxF0uKM

I just bought 2 cards because my E4200s have a big empty hole in them with that logo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im looking for a laptop for my dad because he just dropped his with extreme prejudice and its in pieces. His previous one was some bestbuy special by HP. Nothing amazing, but he had no complaints.

He mainly just browses on facebook, watches netflix and YT and answers emails. Based on what he told me he wants im looking for something not excessively cheap feeling, has a touch screen, usable trackpad and is 15" or more. His eyes are not amazing so lower res is fine. His budget is 500-600 US.

I imagine there are some pretty competitive AMD products that fit these days. Can someone point me in a good direction so I can start looking for him? He has a costco membership so that is an option for him too

Edit*
this is 499 https://www.costco.com/hp-15.6%22-touchscreen-laptop---10-gen-intel-i5-1035g1.product.100579386.html
I know its not amazing but does it seem to fit? Is there anything wrong with it?

how does it compare to something like this at the same price? Are 2 crappy cores not much worse than 4 crappy ones for the stated uses?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1554844-REG/lenovo_81sr000xus_ip_flex_2_in_1_i3_8145u_8.html/fci/35801

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 21, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Tempted to get that new new Dell Precision based on the XPS 17 when they fall in price a bit dumped from the corporate sector.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is there a tool or method for adjusting the settings of my laptop's display and and external screen to get their properties closer to each other like in general? Just a shot in the dark -- I don't know the first thing about which settings to fiddle with or the vocabulary to use here. I (obviously!) don't do any color-sensitive work and mostly have the laptop closed when it's plugged in to the monitor on my desk so this is really just a mild annoyance but figured someone here has done this. '19 model XPS 15 and some random old Dell monitor if it matters.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is there a tool or method for adjusting the settings of my laptop's display and and external screen to get their properties closer to each other like in general? Just a shot in the dark -- I don't know the first thing about which settings to fiddle with or the vocabulary to use here. I (obviously!) don't do any color-sensitive work and mostly have the laptop closed when it's plugged in to the monitor on my desk so this is really just a mild annoyance but figured someone here has done this. '19 model XPS 15 and some random old Dell monitor if it matters.

You need a colorimeter to calibrate both displays to the same gamma and even the same brightness (dimness really). Don't use the included software, use displaycal. The device basically reads the color and brightness of different RGB values and measures how off they are from the ideal. Then a lookup table is generated and loaded onto the GPU so when the GPU wants to display some color value it will look in the table and see the corrected value and display that instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2xrbmfqlV4

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 21, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some new Ryzen 4000 laptops for sale. Don't know if these are good or not but they're new and look interesting

Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7 14" AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, 8GB LPDDR4X, 512GB PCIe SSD, Win10H @ $899
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/IdeaPad-Slim-7-14ARE05/p/88IPS701400

Dell G5 15 SE: 15.6'' FHD VA, Ryzen 5 4600H, RX 5600M, 256GB PCIe SSD, Win10H @ $862.39
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g5-15-se-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5505-laptop/gn5505dyics?view=configurations

Dell G5 15 SE: Ryzen 5 4600H, 144 Hz FHD, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD, WiFi AX @ $1028.99
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g5-15-se-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5505-laptop/gn5505dyils

Dell G5 15 SE: Ryzen 7 4800H, 144 Hz FHD, 16GB DDR4, 512B SSD, WiFi AX @ $1175.99
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/gaming-laptops/new-dell-g5-15-se-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5505-laptop/gn5505dyiqs

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was announced yesterday that the Matrix RP-15 & RP-17 are now going to have a larger 62wh battery instead of 47wh. It's going to delay shipments a bit and still isn't exactly huge, but it should make a nice difference in runtime.

As for the dells, I would have a hard time paying over $1k for integrated Radeon graphics in a 15" chassis when we are tripping over devices with faster GPUs at near the same pricepoint.

I mean, that Dell G5 15 SE: Ryzen 7 4800H is only $300 less than the G14 which has RTX2060 graphics and twice the SSD size.

Edit: I guess it's not an integrated GPU after all and is the 5600M, are there any benchmarks out there right now to see how it stacks up performance wise?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 22, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Looks like the G15 SE has an excellent Ryzen 7 CPU, surprisingly solid high refresh rate display, and great battery life, but the AMD 5600M GPU is mediocre, even compared to older GPUs like the 1660 Ti, and the build quality is plastic trash. I don't really understand what Dell's target market for this is at $1200 when it isn't particularly cheap and is vastly surpassed by plenty of other laptops in the price range like the G14 or the upcoming Lenovo Legion 5 series.

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/dell-g5-15-se-2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At $800-$900, that notebook would be good, possibly even great. But at $1200 it's just laughable how it stacks up against the G14.

It's also pretty much the same price as the Matrix RP-15 which is going to destroy it in performance and build quality.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
jeez yeah it looks like something straight form 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

jeez yeah it looks like something straight form 2010

Looks like a classic plastic from 2005 or so

I wonder how creaky the keyboard is