Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Would I have looked more scummy if I didn't vote? I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
omg i actually forgot my joke vote on aa was still on him

im so sorry

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

dmboogie posted:

tbh im flailing because not only is this day 1 it's a very short day 1

i'm feeling worse about NLK than AA but everything is vague and like 60% gut feelings

also i wanna go back to thi. boogie says he's flailing, but when you look at his posts beforehand re humalong and aa, theyre def not something that looked like flailing (he says one of these two are scum quite confidently) and hell i didnt even characterize them as flailing. if anything, i called them "oddly certain", which is more confident than i feel like he could be, so this post feels weird and oddly self conscious

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

flerp posted:

why is the maigius hammer scummy?

Because there were two people who'd already said they were willing to hammer but we were still in the process of discussing a possible switch to you or Hum. There was five minutes left and enough people around to make it happen when suddenly Maigius swooped in and put an end to that possibility in the name of "moving the game along" which is an extremely weird justification to give because it'd be moving along in five minutes regardless. And for the first time, useful things were happening, information for future days was being produced, etc.

The only thing giving me pause is that Maigius is a newbie. From someone who knew what he was doing it'd be really scummy IMO.

But maybe it just seems worse to me specifically because I hadn't given up on pulling off a last minute switch yet.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Maigius posted:

Would I have looked more scummy if I didn't vote? I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

No. "Oh poo poo I didn't realize it was deadline already and I just woke up" would have been a fine thing to post. Followed by an opinion about whether NLK, flerp or Hum was the best lunch.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

xopods if you think he’s scum you have to go pull more from his post history, one debatably bad hammer post approaching deadline isn’t enough

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

xopods if you think he’s scum you have to go pull more from his post history, one debatably bad hammer post approaching deadline isn’t enough

I agree and am doubting myself, which is why I was asking what others think...

Because I realize that in the heat of the moment, things look different to different people. From my point of view, the way the end of day went was:

Xopods perspective posted:

Sandwolf: Hmm, well I'm not excited by an NLK lunch but I'm going to vote him to make sure we don't no-lunch. Anyone want to switch?

Xopods [shows up]: Oh right, deadline's soon. Yeah, I'll hammer NLK if necessary but I'd rather flerp or Hum.

Other people: [general pre-deadline chaos]

Xopods: Wait a minute, where the hell is Sandwolf? He said he wanted to switch and now he's disappeared. Sandwolf, if you're here it's time to make good on that promise...

Maigius: Too late, hammer bitchezzzzzzz!

NLK: [flips Town]

However, I realize that this is kind of subjective and there was enough stuff going on that depending on what other people see as important, the narrative might seem different.

I also realize, as I said, that for Maigius's hammer (or your absence, Sandwolf) to be scummy requires that one of the potential other candidates to be scum as well, probably flerp since Hum would have been a longshot at that point.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I, like a dumbass, did not hit preview and see that people were going to flip to NLK, but I did see they were at 4 out of 5 votes, and after scrambling to find a decent reasoning other than the bandwagon vote, jumped on and took the hammer. I guess I figured I would be any easy target at night if I did not vote at all.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

(I also realize that Maigius's first, badly formatted hammer came in before my Sandwolf post, even though I didn't see it until after I hit post. But there was clearly still conversation going on, and no chance of failure to lunch because there were people able and willing to hammer who said that's what they were going to do... all Maigius accomplished was to cut off discussion a few minutes before it was necessary to do so. But he is a newbie so maybe didn't realize why that'd be bad, especially if he had in fact just woken up and saw it was 5 minutes from deadline.)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, I've got another game to post in, a setup to work on and some RL stuff to deal with and right now I've got mixed feelings about everyone in this game so I'm gonna step away for a bit and go over the EOD1 again later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This is not a LumpenList

xopods (more townie)
flerp
Maigius
Chic
Humalong
boogie (more scummy)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
appreciate the support

why are boogie + hum at the bottom?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

This is not a LumpenList

xopods (more townie)
flerp
Maigius
Chic
Humalong
boogie (more scummy)

you said you probably wouldn't have voted hum last night, why is he near the bottom? also why am i the bottom you havent said anything about me ever lmao

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

dmboogie posted:

you said you probably wouldn't have voted hum last night, why is he near the bottom? also why am i the bottom you havent said anything about me ever lmao

flerp posted:

also i wanna go back to thi. boogie says he's flailing, but when you look at his posts beforehand re humalong and aa, theyre def not something that looked like flailing (he says one of these two are scum quite confidently) and hell i didnt even characterize them as flailing. if anything, i called them "oddly certain", which is more confident than i feel like he could be, so this post feels weird and oddly self conscious

I agree with this post by flerp from earlier as well as his characterization of your play. Also very good that all you have to do is lightly call someone scum and boy, they appear!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hum’s EOD post felt weirdly hesitant for the time and place of it. It felt way too self conscious. This read requires NLK to have flipped town.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Also very good that all you have to do is lightly call someone scum and boy, they appear!

ive been here the whole tiiiiiiiiiime man

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I take it, since it happened on day 1, no one really cares that NLK was the miller?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

I take it, since it happened on day 1, no one really cares that NLK was the miller?

I fully realize this post makes it look like I'm deflecting suspicion off of myself, but I'm genuinely curious.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Maigius posted:

doesnt rly do anything or change anything

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
the one thing it MIGHT say is there's a cop in this setup, but also that there MIGHT NOT be a cop because toal is trying to mess w/ us

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah normally there are much worse ways to spend day 1 than getting a miller out of the way, but in a 9-person game like this there isn't a single expendable townie

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Miller only exists to trip up cops or gunsmiths but I think it’s probably a red herring in this game

Please do not loving claim if you are a cop or gunsmith

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Hum’s EOD post felt weirdly hesitant for the time and place of it. It felt way too self conscious. This read requires NLK to have flipped town.

I was extremely confused by AA’s continued reaction to my posts. It read like someone who was either not reading things correctly or intentionally misreading my posts to push me.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yeah but why not just take the chance on the latter option when he’s -1 rapidly approaching deadline

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah but why not just take the chance on the latter option when he’s -1 rapidly approaching deadline

Because I know AA often gets confused about poo poo

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

Please do not loving claim if you are a cop or gunsmith

I'm a cop and a gunsmith. Also a tracker.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

two days until deadline this is turbo round mafia babey

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I think Sandwolf is probably a good lunch today. Dmboogie's point about his not-a-Lumpenlist conflicting with his D1 behavior is decent although not damning because it's to be expected that opinions get updated frequently in the early game.

However, I think his EOD1 is very bad and, on consideration, doesn't necessarily require Flerp to be scum.

Sandwolf might be telling the truth that he managed to get distracted by video games and forget about deadline within the span of an hour... however, if that's the case, then it implies he was a bit indifferent about the lunch. Which in turn implies that he was lying about wanting to switch.

If he's Town and genuinely wanted to switch, he wouldn't cast his vote for the player he "doesn't feel great about" lunching, then go off and forget about deadline with one hour to go. Townies forget about deadline all the time, but not if they're there just an hour before and telling people they're not liking the current bandwagon and want to orchestrate a switch.

##vote Sandwolf

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i have awoken

Maigius posted:

why would we care?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

This is actually kind of a weird post to make when NLK is literally about to be lunched or not. Like it feels way too self conscious for what it’s trying to be. If you think he’s scum why hesitate to vote?

unless i'm misreading it was also made 7 minutes before deadline, which is cutting it preeeeetty close & also a setup for "boo I knew it, i told you" posturing

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

xopods posted:

I think Sandwolf is probably a good lunch today. Dmboogie's point about his not-a-Lumpenlist conflicting with his D1 behavior is decent although not damning because it's to be expected that opinions get updated frequently in the early game.

However, I think his EOD1 is very bad and, on consideration, doesn't necessarily require Flerp to be scum.

Sandwolf might be telling the truth that he managed to get distracted by video games and forget about deadline within the span of an hour... however, if that's the case, then it implies he was a bit indifferent about the lunch. Which in turn implies that he was lying about wanting to switch.

If he's Town and genuinely wanted to switch, he wouldn't cast his vote for the player he "doesn't feel great about" lunching, then go off and forget about deadline with one hour to go. Townies forget about deadline all the time, but not if they're there just an hour before and telling people they're not liking the current bandwagon and want to orchestrate a switch.

##vote Sandwolf

Why does that make me scum then

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Why does that make me scum then

It's right there in the last paragraph: You indicated that you had a preference for someone other than NLK, but your behavior says otherwise.

Genuinely forgetting about deadline when you're away from the thread for an extended period is one thing. Being around and noting that the deadline is in an hour and then forgetting about it in that span of time indicates that you aren't particularly interested in who gets lunched and what the flip will be.

If you were absent deliberately, it would suggest that you didn't want to be forced to vote for your buddy... however, if you did genuinely forget, I think that means that you knew both the vote leader and the most likely alternative(s) were Town and didn't care which one it was. And I think it's the latter.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

idk this argument just reminds me of the time where a doctor claimed that they'd forgotten to submit a night action, and then everyone thought it was an obvious lie and they eventually got lunched, and then it turned out they were a town doctor that had forgotten to submit a night action

sometimes forgetting is just forgetting

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

xopods your statement indicates you think both AA and Hum are town, why? Just a gut feel? I know your case is apathy on the lunch = don’t care who’s lunched cuz scum wasn’t at risk. But how’d you conclude that about Hum?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Quick clarification, who's AA? There seems to be no one with those initials in this game.

While I agree the that Sandwolf running off is a bit suspicious, I know I've done the same thing before. (Started playing a video game and lost track of time.)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
nlk is aa

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Let he who has not lost track of time playing video games throw the first stone

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

xopods your statement indicates you think both AA and Hum are town, why? Just a gut feel? I know your case is apathy on the lunch = don’t care who’s lunched cuz scum wasn’t at risk. But how’d you conclude that about Hum?

No, that's not correct.

Earlier today I said I thought both your deadline disappearance and Maigius's hammer-from-nowhere seemed scummy, but that if you were trying to ensure NLK got lunched, it was probably because you were trying to avoid a deadline scramble because it might fall on flerp or (less likely) Humalong.

I still think that's true... it's hard for both you and Maigius to be scum.

However, after some thought, I realized that YOUR alignment doesn't depend on theirs. Because if they are in fact both Town and you knew that, you wouldn't be particularly invested in the lunch decision either way, which would make it more likely you'd become distracted and forget about the thread.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I don't think I worded that very clearly. I'm exhausted today.

Anyway, tl;dr is I previously thought for you to be Scum required that flerp probably be the other Scum (or if not flerp, then Hum). I wasn't saying flerp and Hum must be Town, just now, only that their alignments aren't necessarily connected to yours as I originally thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

hi i might be spotty over the next few days for personal reasons

xopods posted:

No, that's not correct.

Earlier today I said I thought both your deadline disappearance and Maigius's hammer-from-nowhere seemed scummy, but that if you were trying to ensure NLK got lunched, it was probably because you were trying to avoid a deadline scramble because it might fall on flerp or (less likely) Humalong.

I still think that's true... it's hard for both you and Maigius to be scum.

not really sure i Get this take