Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Gologle posted:

I really do wonder how the history books are going to tell this story in 50 years or so when these modern events have become history. I'm guessing something along the lines of "corruption and incompetence caused the administration at the time to turn an already bad situation into a horrifying tidal wave of unnecessary, avoidable deaths."

It occurred to me today that, much like 9/11, everyone from here on out will have their story to tell about this time.

I hope that, if these people live, they feel ashamed of their story.

They won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I'll allow it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Oh gently caress yeah reading a thousand pages is paying off.

Holy poo poo this thread is going to pass War and Peace soon.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Alabama is already getting hit hard by people needing to go to the ICU

https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1263487668144537600

If someone needs a vent in Alabama, perhaps Doobie could give them the name of a sales person

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
On the bright side, when thinking of Alabama, the words of an old poet still resonates: "There ain't much to country living: sweat, piss, jizz, and blood; Turn those speakers up full blast, play it all night long"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I was reading the forums and chatting with a friend on discord and suddenly was incapable of carrying on conversation.
More please.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sincx posted:

ruh-oh

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1211912185561124864

Let's hope this isn't SARS 2: Pneumonic Boogaloo

New thread title?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/nursekelsey/status/1263977834512596993

RIP Wisconsin

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I don't know where this idea that I'm a pro trump is going, but I loving hate the mofo and hold him pretty much exclusively responsible for this massive gently caress up.

Also I was just talking about total death figures and curves in this thread yesterday as the true number being somewhere between official and total, cause no poo poo the official numbers are fuckeried.

I apologize, I’ve been having a really pissy day and I unjustly took it out on you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jesus loving christ. . . there is absolutely no reasoning with these people. Like everything that doesn't 100% work in their favour or give them a warm fuzzy feeling inside is either a hoax, or something to be ignored.

"Mr. Trudeau, Tear down put up this wall!"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ruddiger posted:

I apologize, I’ve been having a really pissy day and I unjustly took it out on you.

Ty for show goons how to handle covid conflict

schmug
May 20, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Ty for show goons how to handle covid conflict

burt drunk lol

:cheers:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Burt Sexual posted:

covid conflict

Now I'm imagining thunderdome for the various viral strains.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
ive been drunk for several weeks

schmug
May 20, 2007

stump collector posted:

same, but since I was 15. Im 45

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

stump collector posted:

I've never drunk this much in my life. Like, I would go through maybe a bottle of bourbon every 5 years. Now I'm polishing one off every few weeks.

Many pages ago a goon posted a good SA run streaming channel. Anyone have the link?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
goontu.be

schmug
May 20, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've never drunk this much in my life. Like, I would go through maybe a bottle of bourbon every 5 years. Now I'm polishing one off every few weeks.

Many pages ago a goon posted a good SA run streaming channel. Anyone have the link?

for real. I thought not going to bars would be a good thing, but as it turns out I can drink even more at home for cheaper.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

1 in 12 people at my local home depot had masks on. They are constantly on top of each other.

Does anyone else ever pause and realize it's only really been 2 and a half months since the nationwide spread of this started to heat up and we already have almost 100,000 dead.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

1 in 12 people at my local home depot had masks on. They are constantly on top of each other.

Does anyone else ever pause and realize it's only really been 2 and a half months since the nationwide spread of this started to heat up and we already have almost 100,000 dead.

Prove it

Where are the bodies? You don’t know

I don’t know anyone who had it, well I do but they didn’t die

Actually I think a couple died but it was pneumonia

In conclusion, stop lying!!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tipps posted:

It occurred to me today that, much like 9/11, everyone from here on out will have their story to tell about this time.

They won't

There's already been cases where someone acted like a smug dumbass and caught/passed on the Roni and then went "Well I was only doing what I thought was right, can't blame me" or "Well how were we supposed to know who to listen to, can't blame me" and completely avoid taking any responsibility themselves

Pastor who decried 'hysteria' dies after attending Mardi Gras

quote:

"We just never thought our father would pass away because of this. But he wasn't the type of person to just live in fear and let it rob him of the joy of the life that he had," says Jesse Spradlin.

She does think that mixed signals and, as she sees it, an inability to trust the media contributed to confusion about the virus.

"I was frustrated with the way that the media was very agenda driven - and it's on both sides. I feel like the coronavirus issue turned into something that was 'party against party' instead of one nation under God," she says.

Jesse said that the longstanding polarisation of the American media made it hard to know what to believe and what is political hype.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Tipps posted:

They won't

Of course they won’t, nobody who was racist to Muslims during 9/11 days will ever accept it

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
There's going to be a million deaths in America by this time next year, and they will still call it fake news.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

So excited for the completely unavoidable scenario of half of Wisconsin dying from a deadly virus!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

schmug posted:

burt drunk lol

:cheers:

I have to blow a bactrack every time I log on.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

stump collector posted:

Hello Bourbon my old friend.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://windowsmoviehouse.com/ ?? (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920085)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

In the hand scrawled history books of the before times there is going to be quite a bit of talk about how the half assed quarantine made everything worse.

Not only did we not get rid of the virus while kneecapping our economy we also convinced a majority of people that quarantines either solved the problem so they don't have to worry about it or can't solve the problem so they don't have to worry about it.

Now a giant idiot pendulum is swinging back where people go overboard lifting their quarantines. To celebrate their victory and expose themselves like never before. Collectively as a nation we unite to leave our homes and prove we are free and normal again. In the face of the virus we did nothing to really stop.

lol

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gologle posted:

I really do wonder how the history books are going to tell this story in 50 years or so when these modern events have become history. I'm guessing something along the lines of "corruption and incompetence caused the administration at the time to turn an already bad situation into a horrifying tidal wave of unnecessary, avoidable deaths."

Nah it’s all going to be moot compared to the fallout of the blockchain wars aka (WWIII)

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hey thread. I got a hosed up slow-mo trainwreck story for everyone!

My sister and I have lost the battle for reason with our boomer parents. They were never chuds, but "terminal boomer brain" is a thing.

They both work for school systems and have basically been on paid vacations since February. This whole time they've been itching to go relax at a dinky little condo they bought years back as investment property in Ocean City, Maryland.

For three months my sister and I have been reminding them to make healthy choices during the pandemic. It's been very difficult preventing them from going to visit family members who live in the same state, but we assumed a cross-country roadtrip would be enough to deter them. I live on another continent, and my sister is weeks away from having her second child. Neither of us can stop them.

Well, because Ocean City is now opened up for business, not only are both parents going, but somehow my immunocompromised aunt has decided to go with them. She had a transplant a few years ago and is on anti-rejection meds. She'd been so observant of social distancing that nobody was allowed in her house (groceries delivered on the porch). To add to it, their cousin has decided to hop in the car with them. Woo, vectors!

"Open er up!" is as toxic as the leaded gasoline and paint they were raised on.

My mom has worked as an RN in emergency rooms, private practices, and with the schools for more than 30 years. She informed me of the decision to completely boomer-out in the death cult with an email addressing me as "son" rather than my name. They'll "avoid" the restaurants and boardwalk unless "they're safe."

The email tells me they've all decided to go, and will bring groceries from home, only stay in the tiny 2 room condo the whole time, and wear gloves and masks when they stop at rest stops for bathroom breaks.

It makes no sense to me that they'd all be so cautious while not being cautious at all. I can only assume they all want to die. I can't stop them, so I'm just gonna learn to let go.

My sister has told them when she has her baby (in a few weeks) that they're not allowed in the hospital. Our cousin (child of the transplant aunt) is completely shocked their mom would make this decision to go as well. My sister and I are hoping nobody gets infected, but we're now suddenly at a realization that we should discuss inheritance, living wills, funeral arrangements, etc.

Tl;dr: terminal boomer brain is real, but the real treasure was all the chuds we met along the way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The people who all go to northern WI for holidays are 90% from Illinois FYI. Chicago affords them to own cabins up there fairly easy.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Backweb posted:

The email tells me they've all decided to go, and will bring groceries from home, only stay in the tiny 2 room condo the whole time, and wear gloves and masks when they stop at rest stops for bathroom breaks.

It makes no sense to me that they'd all be so cautious while not being cautious at all.

They’re lying to you. They don’t give a poo poo about safety, and are just saying that to make you feel better, when odds are they’re in the ‘it’s the flu’ mindset.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

:) :hug:

You're awesome, I'm awesome, sorry you had a pissy day :(

Good luck to all this weekend, hope everyone's questionable relatives flooding the streets are okay and that people are able to have an enjoyable, yet safe, weekend.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"I was frustrated with the way that the media was very agenda driven - and it's on both sides. I feel like the coronavirus issue turned into something that was 'party against party' instead of one nation under God," she says.

"It's both sides fault trump told us the deep state crisis actors are making the whole thing up!!!" gently caress these people I hope they die.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BuckarooBanzai posted:

"It's both sides fault trump told us the deep state crisis actors are making the whole thing up!!!" gently caress these people I hope they die.

The best part is, "both sides are so political. . . who should I listen to?"

Hmmm. . . who might have the political agenda? The guys telling you to keep spending money and ignore the GLOBAL PANDEMIC, or the guys saying, "be safe, please think of others"?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Backweb posted:

Hey thread. I got a hosed up slow-mo trainwreck story for everyone!

My sister and I have lost the battle for reason with our boomer parents. They were never chuds, but "terminal boomer brain" is a thing.

They both work for school systems and have basically been on paid vacations since February. This whole time they've been itching to go relax at a dinky little condo they bought years back as investment property in Ocean City, Maryland.

For three months my sister and I have been reminding them to make healthy choices during the pandemic. It's been very difficult preventing them from going to visit family members who live in the same state, but we assumed a cross-country roadtrip would be enough to deter them. I live on another continent, and my sister is weeks away from having her second child. Neither of us can stop them.

Well, because Ocean City is now opened up for business, not only are both parents going, but somehow my immunocompromised aunt has decided to go with them. She had a transplant a few years ago and is on anti-rejection meds. She'd been so observant of social distancing that nobody was allowed in her house (groceries delivered on the porch). To add to it, their cousin has decided to hop in the car with them. Woo, vectors!

"Open er up!" is as toxic as the leaded gasoline and paint they were raised on.

My mom has worked as an RN in emergency rooms, private practices, and with the schools for more than 30 years. She informed me of the decision to completely boomer-out in the death cult with an email addressing me as "son" rather than my name. They'll "avoid" the restaurants and boardwalk unless "they're safe."

It makes no sense to me that they'd all be so cautious while not being cautious at all. I can only assume they all want to die. I can't stop them, so I'm just gonna learn to let go.

My sister has told them when she has her baby (in a few weeks) that they're not allowed in the hospital. Our cousin (child of the transplant aunt) is completely shocked their mom would make this decision to go as well. My sister and I are hoping nobody gets infected, but we're now suddenly at a realization that we should discuss inheritance, living wills, funeral arrangements, etc.

Tl;dr: terminal boomer brain is real, but the real treasure was all the chuds we met along the way.

Some people would rather die than live quarantined. I can't say I really blame them. What value is living when it is without purpose and in misery? I have only gone out for groceries and some poo poo for home projects that are going to save me hassle and headaches in the future (building a retaining wall around the gravel supporting my heat pump so the gravel doesn't gently caress off everywhere into the yard and then I have a sagging, lovely setup that looks like a bag of mashed-up assholes). I have been pretty dilligent and wore a mask, didn't touch my face, sanitized my poo poo, then took off my clothes and washed up when I got home.

I'm a hermit though. I could gladly live my life like this for the foreseeable future. I revel in it. I could play video games on my couch for the remainder of my life and not even really feel like I've wasted my life. Hell, I'm 32 and have been playing vidya pretty much since I got a super nintendo way back whenever. This is easy poo poo for me.

But look at the people out risking their lives. Not all of them are doing it because they are stupid. Now, the people out on the state capitols with their big guns protesting are stupid. But some of the people just out trying to get out of the house for something to do in relative solitude and safety are just trying to scrape by without clawing their eyeballs out looking at the same four walls every day. I don't think stupidity is really playing as big a role in this. People are hungry for meaning and social interaction. I'm the odd one out. Some people value this type of poo poo more than they do life, and it's not really a matter of broke brains.

Depending on their current living arrangements, I don't really see how this is going to be any more dangerous than what they are already living. They gotta live their lives, man. It does suck though watching parents do poo poo like that. My parents are dead already, but this poo poo would definitely have killed my dad. He had immune problems plus lung problems.

I think eventually everyone is gonna get this poo poo; it's just a matter of time. I hope they are safe, though. And I hope all goons are safe.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Lol oops. I meant to post in the cspam thread where everybody is crack-pinging with covidbrain.

Goreld posted:

They’re lying to you. They don’t give a poo poo about safety, and are just saying that to make you feel better, when odds are they’re in the ‘it’s the flu’ mindset.

oh definitely. that's why I've let it go. i called them out on it and they went silent.

vandalism posted:

Some people would rather die than live quarantined. I can't say I really blame them. What value is living when it is without purpose and in misery?
I think eventually everyone is gonna get this poo poo; it's just a matter of time. I hope they are safe, though. And I hope all goons are safe.

Yeah, I hope they're safe too. Trust me when I say their quality of life is fine. They just have boomer expectations of how the world is supposed to yield more for their 401ks. I half expect them to book a cruise now...

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Cool. We literally have not learned from history. All it took was 100 years.

I'm stoked.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
We are literally watching a mainstream suicide cult that is taking innocents with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chocobo posted:

We are literally watching a mainstream suicide cult that is taking innocents with them.

It doesn't kill the right people in bulk, a few opener up chuds will die but mostly a grim and monotonous parade of the old and poor