Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I'd like to do yet another run of this game - I've played it a lot, but never really delved into the modding and the mod thread OP has a lot of (outdated?) stuff that I'm having a really hard time parsing. Is there a modpack that makes the game more difficult and especially more lethal? And is there a concensus best mod for improving graphics? And any essential QOL things?

e: Also I'll probably join the Legion as that's the only ending I've never gotten. Are there any recommended mods for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

I think you can remove it from his inventory via opening console, clicking him, and then
Removeitem 174094

That just makes me think of Boone's hat, and how he'd like it back.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Foul Fowl posted:

Is there a modpack that makes the game more difficult and especially more lethal?

Jsawyer mod. Makes all kinds of changes to make Hardcore mode more hardcore, like reducing the player's carry weight by 100 pounds, and making it harder to gain XP and karma.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Viva New Vegas is the standard modding guide these days, I'd recommend giving it a whirl. It's fairly compact as far as Bethesda modding guides go, I completed it in an evening or two

It's split into sections, I'd absolutely recommend doing the core one at the very least - should make your game way more stable.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Chamale posted:

Jsawyer mod. Makes all kinds of changes to make Hardcore mode more hardcore, like reducing the player's carry weight by 100 pounds, and making it harder to gain XP and karma.

Note that jsawyer mod was made by Josh Sawyer (rope kid), who worked on the game

Jsawyer Ultimate is a different mod that somebody else made and didn’t use a more original name for some reason.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
JSawyer Ultimate is called JSawyer Ultimate because it's an attempt to remake Jsawyer.esp but make it more resource-efficient and compatible with modern mods. In general I'd recommend it over the original, though the fact that it restores the Varmint Rifle as a .22 caliber gun is weird.

Also it doesn't integrate GRA weapons into the vanilla game like Jsawyer does, but there's a billion mods to do that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

JSawyer Ultimate is called JSawyer Ultimate because it's an attempt to remake Jsawyer.esp but make it more resource-efficient and compatible with modern mods. In general I'd recommend it over the original, though the fact that it restores the Varmint Rifle as a .22 caliber gun is weird.

Also it doesn't integrate GRA weapons into the vanilla game like Jsawyer does, but there's a billion mods to do that.

I think it does? At least i have no other mod that would be making them spawn on normal enemies and containers

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I swear by this mod when it comes to companions - https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/50468

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't know much about Fallout, can you guys help me identify these characters?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

First: Wendigo?
Second: Mole-miner
Third: Super mutant?
Fourth: Mr. Handy robot

Bottom
First & Second: generic Vault dwellers?
Third: Super mutant?
Fourth: T-51(?) power armor/Brotherhood of Steel paladin
Fifth: Protectron robot

I assume blue are main characters, grey are neutrals and green are enemies.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 25, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thanks!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.thegamer.com/fallout-worst-companions-ever-ranked/

lol

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I hate almost everything about that list.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
They have another list of the ten best companions and loving Ian is on it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
how in the world can you say Raul is bad at combat, Old Vaquero is loving bonkers

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
That... that can't be real, the sheer lack of brain-cells involved in writing it otherwise is staggering. Just... everything there is... ugh... :argh:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keith Atherton posted:

They have another list of the ten best companions and loving Ian is on it

loving Danse is number one

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

I havent played Fallout 4 (and doubt I ever will)

Also no Sulik, Marcus, or Fallout 2 Dogmeat in the Best list

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Randaconda posted:

https://www.thegamer.com/greatest-fallout-companions-all-time-ranked/

quote:

However, it is his fantastic backstory and huge twist that makes him incredibly interesting and worth investing a lot of time into. If you haven't spent plenty of time with Paladin, he is certainly worth going back and helping.

Why are they acting like Paladin is his first name?

Christ, that list is even worse.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How did you even find that website, lmao.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

https://www.thegamer.com/fallout-3-playing-first-time/

Holy crap, I don't think I've ever seen more blatant clickbait.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

it was linked on the new vegas memes subreddit, by somebody outraged Cass was on the worst companions thread lol

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
While both lists were cringe-worthy to read, is it even possible to make a best/worst companion list without getting some denizen of the internet all :bahgawd:?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

it was linked on the new vegas memes subreddit, by somebody outraged Cass was on the worst companions thread lol

I find the words of thegamer.com as offensive as the gamer word. :randpop:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

My totally original best companions donutsteal list:

Stitch - Fallout Tactics
Myron - Fallout 2
NCR Trooper call-in - FNV

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Randaconda posted:

The worst list.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys just haven't learned the joys of the Danse Floor yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gryq8NPxrLM

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Why does the author seem to think Veronica's only "quest" is to wear a dress? For loving real her side quest is one of the better ones in the game. It's so awful with her trying to help the Followers and the Brotherhood being murderous bastards. Not to mention Christine.

Also, this is a troll, right?

The Gamer posted:

In the first two Fallout games, Black Isle Studios were still trying to work things out as far as companions are concerned, which is likely why Fallout 3 ends up being jam-packed with excellent companions.

Putting aside the fact that this reads like Black Isle made both original Fallouts... Fallout 3 companions?
Uninteresting dumbed down Marcus, some ghoul idk (was that 'contract' thing ever explained?), a slave girl, a Jingoistic Mr Handy, generic evil merc #1953820 who only joins you if you're evil enough for his evil tastes, Dogmeat (repeat).

Hating dialogue and judging characters solely on combat effectiveness is certainly an...interesting take.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout is about shooting people in slow motion.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fallout is about shooting people in slow motion.

RIP Aimed Shots at groin.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Carnaticum posted:

Hating dialogue and judging characters solely on combat effectiveness is certainly an...interesting take.

One of the points against Cass was her shotgun not being very powerful. Because companions never change gear, I guess?

Galewolf posted:

RIP Aimed Shots at groin.
No joke. Replaying New Vegas and I keep being confused that I can't target the eyes and have to settle for the head.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Eye or groin shots with a Gauss Rifle was never not awesome.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Possibly one of my favourite Fallout memories was Fallout 2 in the gang quest for San Francisco. I challenged the head of an evil gang to unarmed combat in the public bout ring. The agreement was we were not to fight to the death, simply fight until surrender- the idea being that my skill would prove his barbarism unnecessary. My character had a luck of 10, various crit modifiers and an unarmed skill of 140.

We assemble in the ring, the announcement of combat is made in front of a divided crowd. He hits me for minimal damage, striking the first blow. I go into vats and target his groin for my kick. I kick him in the dick so hard his body splits in two and goes flying in two halves across the ring.

oops

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't the gang all names after Black Isle devs, or was that just a joke that The Storyteller webseries came up with to get the devs to make a cameo on their channel?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
A jinxed F2 play through is hilarious for that reason. People lining up to punch or shoot themselves in the dick.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Carnaticum posted:

Putting aside the fact that this reads like Black Isle made both original Fallouts... Fallout 3 companions?
Uninteresting dumbed down Marcus, some ghoul idk (was that 'contract' thing ever explained?), a slave girl, a Jingoistic Mr Handy, generic evil merc #1953820 who only joins you if you're evil enough for his evil tastes, Dogmeat (repeat).

black isle did make fallout 1 and 2 tho

also thats not bait he just threw the whole goddamn rod in the water

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Didn't the guy who used to write Concerned (the HL2 comic) have a satirical site called The Gamer something or another? I honestly first thought that was it, the list some sort of joke.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
There's some sort of weird bot thing going on with lists this lazy and stupid. I saw one for a different game about "Top Ten Strongest Weapons" that had an actual non-equipable enemy-only "weapon" and a healing spell as number 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
i wonder if theyre just contract writers seeing if people are actually reading what they write