Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably a dumb question since I assume the answer is yes, but if I'm interested in Nioh 2 but not in the mood for total relentless masochism atm, I assume it's still pretty easy to just summon and get competent help? I'm in the mood for the Souls gameplay loop and even difficulty but not in the mood to spend 3 hours mastering a boss if it comes down to it, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Nioh 2 is real good and it's easy to join/summon coop partners. Also players can drop AI versions of themselves you can summon, it's more expensive and not as good as a real player but you pretty much never have to solo if you don't want to

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:cool: thanks. Think I'll grab it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Am I correct in believing that I can play Nier: Automata without playing Nier/going down the drakengard rabbit hole? Should I maybe at least watch a video? The one I checked out just started right off with spoilers for automata.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finished the first chapter of FF7R. Game is slick so far. Hard to resist the impulse to hack 'n' slash everything and take time to get a sense of the enemies. I also have zero clue as to what Cloud or Barrett are doing when I switch away from them. But the menu is snappy and the button shortcuts are really useful for staying in the action.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TenTonHammer posted:

Weird I guess, but for me 4 wasn't too bad, but I had a real hard time finishing up 5. I felt like they added in just way too many characters to play as, and some of the stuff, like Saejima's storyline out in the mountains, and Haruka's whole section just really dragged on forever. I had to walk away from it for a couple of weeks before I could go back and finally finish it up last night.

I've only played the start of 5 (I try to have a bit of a break between yakuza games usually), but I really think it helps that it starts out with you playing as kiryu, instead of starting you cold with a new character, much as I eventually ended up liking Akiyama. One thing with 4 that I think is also true of 5 is that I feel a sort of... I'm going to say time pressure? In that I feel like I have to do all the side stuff and training as soon as it becomes available because I'm never sure when the next story mission will end their section and mean I cant come back to that character to finish stuff up for another 6 chapters or whatever. So there was no way in hell I was going to do the fighter management stuff in 4 for example, because I cant do it in bits and pieces between story missions like I would with say the property management stuff in zero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Peacoffee posted:

Am I correct in believing that I can play Nier: Automata without playing Nier/going down the drakengard rabbit hole? Should I maybe at least watch a video? The one I checked out just started right off with spoilers for automata.

Only one character is really shared and that characters backstory isn’t terribly necessary.

Nier is important to why the world exists the way it does. But that does not matter in the slightest to the actual plot

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd say you should play nier anyways even without it being necessary for automata but there is that remaster/version we never got coming out eventually so that's probably more of a 'when that happens' thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also you are better off watching a video on drakenguard because that game is tedious

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Hmm. Well I guess without an older system I am sol on playing either for now anyway. Maybe i’ll just watch a lets play of nier and read a little of the other, then

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey. You guys remember "The Bouncer"?

Cool

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Firstborn posted:

Hey. You guys remember "The Bouncer"?

Cool

I loved The Bouncer. I unlocked every character and ending. It was very good.

Feb 2, 2005

Peacoffee posted:

I went I with 0 Nier or Drakengard knowledge and it was one of my favorite games ever. Totally stands on its own.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Why do you use this word

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vikar Jerome posted:

nah veni is right. videos games and their remakes are in a weird place, some of the remakes are good and some are whats been discussed on the last few pages, then theres remasters and enhanced remasters and the original is the masterpiece everyone still remembers it was. if full BC and re-releases were the norm, or the option to include the original in the remake or a modern easy access to it, poo poo wouldnt be a problem. older graphics, lower polygon counts dont matter in the end, nintendo keep telling you this but you wont listen.

you all dismiss this stuff because you enjoyed ff7r too much because you enjoy basking in the nostalgia of your fading youth. its not to say the remakes arent good, its just the original experience is the original experience you remember for a reason and people constantly crying for remakes because brains have been melted over the years by disgust of lower polygons and frame rates and resolutions.

i played the original ps2 yakuzas after i played the kiwami versions and they still own. which reminds me, often remakes removes stuff, like kiwami 2 removing good poo poo and locations from og yakuza 2 for no real reason yet kiwami adds majima story and the cabaret club. so now you have two yakuza 2's. its just weird and they could have avoided it by including the original game on disc. same with resident evil 2 remake, totally destroying the story and the pacing and the flow and the a/b stuff just so you can experience everything with one character? its a pointless change and thats a bad mark against it, even if the game overall is pretty good, the original still has it beat without any nostalgia.

i get frustrated and conflicted with video game legacy sometimes.

FF7 is in a bit of a unique position when it comes to remakes, because it came out at a weird transitional point graphically speaking that everyone realized at the time acted as a constraint on the visual design. The design was and remains rather unique, and still shone through because the backgrounds allowed for so much detail that would be lacking in the shift to 3d-model environments. So there was a desire to see the world fleshed out that couldn't be accomplished at the time. One of the big things the remake does visually is allow you to see the plates above the slums, which very rarely happened in the original because the view was almost always top-down.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Why do you use this word

I keep having the urge to use it like "check this out" but I can't quite bring myself to do it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oi mate, ya grok is a gormless slog!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Inspector Hound posted:

I keep having the urge to use it like "check this out" but I can't quite bring myself to do it

Fear is the Mind Killer. Free yourself from these invisible chains and actual is your true self

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The USA is, Europe isn't

:smith:

Sega is ashamed of their great historic games and have pride in all their lovely Sonic rehashes and I don't know why

The US version is the international English version.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

When is PSO2 coming out anyway.

I heard it’s insanely good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Next week is the PC version, it's already out on Bone.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Imhotep posted:

I believe you can still get attack power from the boss I’m talking about, and the other Hirata Estate fight you mentioned, but cool, you should definitely try that boss, I’m pretty sure beating the Fountainhead boss, the dragon, is required before you can fight it.

Ok FYI you have to do this before the boss you mentioned. I’m at the bird now after the two mini bosses. He’s definitely hard as hell but I’ve also now had a drink and that makes the timing much harder. However does anyone actually go toe to toe with him? Even parrying wipes you out.

I’ll get him tomorrow

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's a drat shame we aren't getting Sekiro DLC

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Boy I forgot how awful the boss gauntlet at the end of KH1 was. 4 bosses, only one time to restock on items and no save point in between them.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Man, Tanimura's final boss in Yakuza 4 sure is something. I can't wait to be done with this game, even the boss designs feel like total poo poo.

EDIT: Complaining on the internet works again! Beat it, but I think overall Yakuza 4 leaned too heavily into semi-bullshit setups for bosses and some "pivotal" plot encounters. It felt like this one had a larger number of boss mobs who could stunlock you, etc. Really liked the story and new characters overall, but the gameplay didnt jive with me this time around. Time to take a break, maybe clean up some sidequests, and then move on to 5.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 24, 2020

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bows1 posted:

Ok FYI you have to do this before the boss you mentioned. I’m at the bird now after the two mini bosses. He’s definitely hard as hell but I’ve also now had a drink and that makes the timing much harder. However does anyone actually go toe to toe with him? Even parrying wipes you out.

I’ll get him tomorrow

Nah it just takes a bit to learn it, I always tried to bait him into the shuriken throw followed by the overhead slam which always lets you get a few free hits in. I remember I started using Mortal Draw with candies and killed him by using it when he was exposed after that attack, and he always follows up the firecrackers with a long mikiri-able thrust attack. He does so much posture damage, or just straight up knocks you down and breaks your posture if you block instead of deflect, so its tricky, but you can definitely get the timing down. Also in his second phase maybe try using the umbrella for the like owl transformation attack, he flies around as an owl then jumps out somewhat randomly and does an overhead attack, which can be tricky so I’d probably use that mainly, as far as prosthetics.

Also what do you mean, you need to do the boss I mentioned above before the dragon? I think once you’ve fought him at least once you can always go back and fight him even after you’ve beat the game, but I could be wrong. Also I’m pretty positive the boss I’m talking about, a late late game optional boss only shows up once you’ve killed the dragon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

The newer Wander does look better though

:psyduck:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Wrapped up a couple of levels in Rayman Origins, thats just a stupidly stylish 2d platformer that puts a smile on my face. Oh and I also had a few hours racing in Wipeout and Gran Turismo and a few games of Rocket Leauge as mini courses.

Origins is one of the best 2D platformers ever made, criminally overshadowed by its lesser but flashier sequel.

precision posted:

The use of crowd noise as a key instrument and the faux-live instrumentation make it way more interesting than any other version, besides having a lot more energy. When the crowd noise is at its height, it's basically a punk song

That's an interesting point. Makes it more of a beehive undergroung song in that way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's a drat shame we aren't getting Sekiro DLC

Yeah... :sympathy:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Let go of your nostalgia, you know it to be true.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yelling at people about nostalgia is just about the laziest way to tell someone they're wrong, imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yelling?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
More like screaming.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Let go of your nostalgia, you know it to be true.

I'm just not a 'fidelity' type. Bluepoint Wander is quite dumb looking.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just look at the Colossi instead

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm just not a 'fidelity' type. Bluepoint Wander is quite dumb looking.

So they remade him perfectly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
some of it's hipstery, but there are things worth appreciating about the old ways or old versions (i mean this very generally) that don't boil down to nostalgia. sometimes we don't realize this before it's too late.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Accusing people of being angry or yelling on the internet is worthless, always has been and always will be. It's completely deniable and unprovable no matter what written evidence you can point to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Peacoffee posted:

You can go in cold and do just fine. I did.

This video goes through the Drakengard and Nier stories and stops where Automata starts.

https://youtu.be/JE6n2KGbaZ0