Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia is a blight on art

That's my manifesto

Subscribe to my zine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

smooth wander looks like he just walked out of a resident evil 2 cutscene

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chasing the dragon of realism and fidelity is weird to me.

Like, applied to other games, I can't say I'd be into an okami or kirby game that went for full hair/skin mapped detail and whatnot.

There's nostalgia and there's aiming for a style.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Accusing people of being angry or yelling on the internet is worthless, always has been and always will be. It's completely deniable and unprovable no matter what written evidence you can point to.

Calm down bro, you will live longer :smugbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Accusing people of being angry or yelling on the internet is worthless, always has been and always will be. It's completely deniable and unprovable no matter what written evidence you can point to.
It was the other part of the post that is the crucial part, i was being equally lazy with my language as they were with theirs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Like, applied to other games, I can't say I'd be into an okami or kirby game that went for full hair/skin mapped detail and whatnot.

Remastered with vibrant twenty first century paints

(yes, hyperbole)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Wander's face in the remake looks dumb but fortunately you barely have to see it. I can see what people mean by the world not feeling as mysterious as the original, but the original also had an overdose of bloom lighting. Bluepoint changed the skybox from purplish to gray which I think was a big mistake, but they also did neat things like having the morpho butterflies from Last Guardian in some of the more verdant areas.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Peacoffee posted:

Am I correct in believing that I can play Nier: Automata without playing Nier/going down the drakengard rabbit hole? Should I maybe at least watch a video? The one I checked out just started right off with spoilers for automata.

Yes you're good. There are a few parts where knowledge of Nier would provide more context but that's about it. And the connection to Drakengard in the original Nier was almost non-existent, even moreso here.

If you want the story of Nier then The Dark Id did a great Let's Play of it. There's also a Nier remaster probably coming out sometime this year.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 24, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wouldn't mind a PS4 version of the latest Drakengard with an okay frame rate. The game has a lot of other problems but I'd still give it another try.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

bows1 posted:

Ok FYI you have to do this before the boss you mentioned. I’m at the bird now after the two mini bosses. He’s definitely hard as hell but I’ve also now had a drink and that makes the timing much harder. However does anyone actually go toe to toe with him? Even parrying wipes you out.

I’ll get him tomorrow

It was awhile since the last time I fought him but I don't think I braved trying to parry him at all, mainly blocked and dodged around him on the attacks where that's possible to get hits in on his back. There's also a thrust move he does a lot where a mikiri counter is really easy to pull off and I think there's a firecracker move that you can dodge through and get some attacks on him. You gotta keep a close eye on your posture and back off when it gets high, it's a tough and long fight but I never stopped having fun doing it. Alternatively you can just be way better than me and learn to deflect him properly. Good luck!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Convincing animation is going to be a lot harder than convincing graphics in the new gen
You could make everything almost photo-realistic but the suspension of disbelief will fall apart even more easily because of the graphics when you see some dude's head clip through a tree, or robotically change posture.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Convincing animation is going to be a lot harder than convincing graphics in the new gen
You could make everything almost photo-realistic but the suspension of disbelief will fall apart even more easily because of the graphics when you see some dude's head clip through a tree, or robotically change posture.

This is why I basically don't give a poo poo about photorealism or whatever and prefer to just have solid art direction. I want to play a video game not go outside.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah there are already a lot of games that are photorealistic in screenshots(when there are no people/animals).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Peacoffee posted:

Am I correct in believing that I can play Nier: Automata without playing Nier/going down the drakengard rabbit hole? Should I maybe at least watch a video? The one I checked out just started right off with spoilers for automata.

Nier most definitely isn't necessary to play before Automata, but I would recommend you check out this really good video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just wanted to post and say Shadow of the Colossus is a really excellent game. One of the best!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

VideoGames posted:

Just wanted to post and say Shadow of the Colossus is a really excellent game. One of the best!

Argh Videogames your latest Kirby AV is giving me some weird flashback to some kids cartoon and I can't quite think what it is: it had a bunch of spherical monsters, I think one was wrapped in mummie bandages

edit: I think it was called Madballs

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Spiderman trip report from the first couple of missions : Wheeeee!

Not sure why they thought the science mini games were a worthwhile addition, though.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

RatHat posted:

Yeah there are already a lot of games that are photorealistic in screenshots(when there are no people/animals).

It's weird watching PS5 game trailers and not being wowed at all by the visuals. I mean goddamn Crysis 1 and 2 had photorealistic foliage and nature shots more than 10 years ago. Same with racing games. I hope the big pushes this upcoming gen are to fidelity. Realistic cloth physics and attention to detail in things other than graphics, like interactivity and animation interactions. VR stuff with this gens best graphics on the next Gen consoles will be amazing on its own too I think.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OxMan posted:

It's weird watching PS5 game trailers and not being wowed at all by the visuals.

What PS5 trailers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GodFall?
Or god awful as I call it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The brand new genre of looter-slasher.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The brand new genre of looter-slasher.

:negative:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Argh Videogames your latest Kirby AV is giving me some weird flashback to some kids cartoon and I can't quite think what it is: it had a bunch of spherical monsters, I think one was wrapped in mummie bandages

Ahhh! Real Monsters.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

GodFall?
Or god awful as I call it.

I looked it up and saw 'Gearbox' before seeing 'Publishing' and immediately had flashbacks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Infinitum posted:

I looked it up and saw 'Gearbox' before seeing 'Publishing' and immediately had flashbacks

Please don't post footage of me getting up at 3am for a piss.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Best thing about Colonial Marines is a single typo apparently hosed up most of the Alien programming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Madballs is a game tho, I think I own one of them on Steam.

Edit: o drat, beaten

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dan Didio posted:

Ahhh! Real Monsters.

How the hell did I not realise that show had Tim Curry and Jim Belushi.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JBP posted:

I want to play a video game not go outside.

So you won't be buying a Switch then.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Infinitum posted:

Best thing about Colonial Marines is a single typo apparently hosed up most of the Alien programming

There was way more wrong with that game than just the AI. The story was a dumb mess, the game had some odd decisions like cutting the magazine sizes in half from the movies, etc.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've gotta see a realistic Kirby

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Next time on Things I Immediately Came To Regret

vv Kirby is not this handsome (I have a bunch of extra hands) vv

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Inspector Hound posted:

Turn off your monitor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lobok posted:

So you won't be buying a Switch then.

I have a switch it doesn't leave the dock

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ten hours into The Sinking City (picked it up for 15$ on PSN right now) and I'm kinda loving this janky game?

Pros: The setting is fantastic. Just getting around the city is creepy as poo poo in a Silent Hill way. Assests are reused alot because the city is huge, but I still get goosebumps just driving my skiff around the sunken parts of the story. The first diving section had me making GBS threads myself.

The story is great. A lot of modern Cthulhu games have the problem of the protagonist going insane and discovering the horrors blah blah, but it's lost much of the impact as the Mythos became pop culture. In The Sinking City this isn't the reveal as much as the premise explicitly stated in the first minute. The game shaves off a lot of unnecessary explanation and gets right into an actual mystery that I don't already know the answer to.

The VA and character designs are pretty great. I haven't seen one re-used speaking npc and they all look interestingly creepy and different.

Middling: This game actually has you detectiving which is cool. There's a alot of different gameplay elements, good poo poo like recreating crime scenes and researching in archives. But also a lot of pixel hunting BS (I felt no shame referring to a walkthrough when I knew it was because I didn't look at something at the right angle or something).

Bad: The combat and every element around it is terrible. Just set the combat to easy. The game also runs like rear end on my PSpoor. Just constant frame drops and texture popping.

In conclusion, I definitely don't regret paying $15 for it, but it's definitely a Focus Home Entertainment game so set your expectations accordingly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

agreed "Nice Meltdown" has never been the own people thought it was.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Infinitum posted:

The funny part is I played this with the typo fixed, and the AI is still complete dogshit. Like exceptionally bad. Worst than "run at you and try to kill you without consideration", because it can't even do that right.
I tried to play this with every mod enabled that tried to restore and repair this game, and similar the Snyder cut, it's still garbage and people were making excuses for a shoddy product.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s the game Randy Pitchford outsourced to a smaller dev and used most of the budget to jumpstart production on Borderlands 2, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And Duke Nukem Forever :allears: