Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've been messing with a few campaigns and the estimate of 60-70% Order dominance seems right, it's no longer a near guaranteed thing and even when I've seen the Empire dominate it still takes them 80-100 turns to do so and the vampires do really well early on. The Skaven in the south do noticeably better too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

been having a ton of fun with grimgor. you can recruit rank 9 full veteran troops from black crag.. watching da boyz hold the line as wave after wave of skaven get mulched is beautiful to behold.

Grimgor will never get as many kills as wurzag the foot fetishist but so far this campaign I have just ordered him to attack every enemy character and he's deleted them.

the last campaign I played, AI belegar ironhammer personally killed my Vlad, isabella, three generic vampire heroes, two wight kings and a varghulf over two battles. I wonder how grimgor will fare...

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Eltharion Vortex campaign done. That wasn't too bad...

During the final battle, I pulled everyone back to the capture point while the AI got mulched. I just wanted to tire the Greenskins out before they got to me. I wanted to use mostly all Mistwalker units, and they performed pretty well! The missile damage/AP buff you can trigger during the final battle is wonderful. They're something terrific about watching it rain arrows...

The Greenskins actually broke before Grom even made it to the battle. I tried to chase him down with Eltharion and my Noble, but alas. Still, that was a decent campaign. I only ended up jailing some generic Night Goblin Warboss and Aranessa. I did go down to the Badlands and eliminate the Broken Axe faction completely EXCEPT for Grom because the loving Lizardmen got him first.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 24, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Just Chamber posted:

Huh. Did you push any of the empire factions early? Maybe that makes a difference as i focused on just the badlands and pushing south ignoring the dwarfs and empire.

I’m playing Karak Kadrin and the Vampires ate basically the entire empire by turn 30.

Vampiretide is much more likely nowadays. Seen it in multiple games.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So how do I deal with the Empire and everything being an unpleasant climate as Grom? Am I just ignoring france and bee lining it for Ulthuan as soon as possible? I am still getting my rear end kicked by elf armies and a terrible economy. Not sure how I'm supposed to be building armies and have money.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m playing Karak Kadrin and the Vampires ate basically the entire empire by turn 30.

Vampiretide is much more likely nowadays. Seen it in multiple games.

It seems quite swingy.
In the co-op campaign I was talking a couple pages back, from what we could see through the fog of war, power rankings and "faction deleted !" news the Empire was getting schooled left and right ; the whole south and east were basically undead ; yet some 40 or so turns later when my diplo-trade contact making lord had finished hooking around the donut and reached Reikland every town from there to the eastern map wall was either a ruin, an empire town, or an empire town with some vamp corruption around it. I think Mannfred got murked quick ; but the Von Carsteins were going *very* strong for a while.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Won my Grom Mortal Empires campaign just now, decided to keep it going for a bit just to see what would happen and glad I won when I did because it started going real bad almost immediately, some high elf pricks came out of their cities and assassinated the hag troll I'd had from the start of the game (wounded but it meant she wasn't there for any battles either) and then my Orc shaman hero in my backup army fell in a fire which is a fun random event. Then in a siege battle I had against Tyrion that should have been easy, Grom somehow went from full to dead in a couple secs while mopping up some poo poo at the gate, pretty sure it was a bug cause he literally dropped fighting just a noble and he's fought much worse stuff over the campaign and been fine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kobal2 posted:

It seems quite swingy.
In the co-op campaign I was talking a couple pages back, from what we could see through the fog of war, power rankings and "faction deleted !" news the Empire was getting schooled left and right ; the whole south and east were basically undead ; yet some 40 or so turns later when my diplo-trade contact making lord had finished hooking around the donut and reached Reikland every town from there to the eastern map wall was either a ruin, an empire town, or an empire town with some vamp corruption around it. I think Mannfred got murked quick ; but the Von Carsteins were going *very* strong for a while.

They get some nasty stacks early. I'm playing a Gelt campaign (never actually done it in WH2) and i'm basically holed up in the moot with Gelt fighting off stack after stack of vampires. Its neverending.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also I thought that the LLs were supposed to get unique Waaaghs, but Wurrzag's Waaagh ability looks like it has the same effects as Grimgor and the basic Waaagh. Grom's regeneration Waaagh works right but and I just missing the differences between Grimgor and wurrzag and the basic Warboss?

Wurzzag gives 20% physical resist, Grimgor gets twice the damage bonus,Azhag let's all units inflict terror and Skarsnick gets some bonuses to Goblins

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Finished Eltharion Vortex campaign today, which is my first complete campaign since the first game. The final battle was kind of a clusterfuck, but not too hard since I left the useless AI reinforcements to die on the walls and pulled back to defensible territory. I'm not a huge fan of siege battles in general, so the final battle wasn't my favorite, but I knew what I signed up for with this campaign, so it's cool. My only real complaints with the campaign are that going off to Lustria took loving forever just so I could have a super anticlimactic walk over the Defenders of the Great Plan since they'd already taken the city, and that I ended up with way more warden's supplies than I needed very early in the campaign, which made me wish the upgrades had been slowed down a bit. Looking forward to Grom next.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
grom has the best waaagh because it turns out getting a free heal is bonkers

I am starting to sour on grom's campaign in general mostly because it's kinda stupid. I am having 80+ armored gobbos who are constantly regenning and frenzied and remain dirt cheap even for not-groms. allegedly the greenskins have other units

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a lil salty that

1. Skarsnik, the coolest greenskin lord, has almost no reason to take night goblins, the coolest greenskin subrace
2. Grom goblins better than Skarsnik when his whole thing is "a goblin orcs will take orders from"
3. Goblins are straight-up better than orcs now

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grom was never really the Warboss that could boss around Orcs, his whole thing was that the goblins and snotlings loved him so much that they ate all of the orcs who talked back. After Grom conquered some Empire provinces, he settled down for some good eating, and the Orcs either left because they got bored or were devoured by the gobbos.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

We need a brave goon to mod the skill trees for Orc-themed armies and Grimgor's appropriately.

But who??????

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone played Arkhan on ME recently? I barely played the Tomb Kings and thought I'd give him a go but the opening Brett opponent they start you against seems pretty rough, two full stacks of even lovely cav and their polearm units is pretty scary against my absolute dogshit skeleton spears. Should I ignore them and go fight elsewhere for a bit or something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dandywalken posted:

We need a brave goon to mod the skill trees for Orc-themed armies and Grimgor's appropriately.

But who??????

Paging Gejnor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Grom was never really the Warboss that could boss around Orcs, his whole thing was that the goblins and snotlings loved him so much that they ate all of the orcs who talked back. After Grom conquered some Empire provinces, he settled down for some good eating, and the Orcs either left because they got bored or were devoured by the gobbos.

That's fair, I wasn't around when he was big and mostly just sorta remember his army book blurbs.

He's still stealing Skarsnik's thunder a bit. Night Goblins getting more flavour and Skarsnik specializing in them would be cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Night Goblin fanatics should get some different scrap upgrades than base night gobbos. Give them a scrap upgrades that buffs their ball and chain attacks through the roof.

Again, the scrap mechanic is decent but it needs to be fleshed out more.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
grom is the greatest gobbo warlord of all. skarsnik wants to be as good as him.

having skarsnik buff night goblins is a good idea though. he definitely needs something

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of goblins and tech trees, is it just me or did orcs get kinda shafted with the new Greenskin tech tree? It seems to be majorly focused on goblins for some reason.

Nah this new update favours gobbos massively. Grimgor is nice but he's really nothing compared to Grom and all the various ways you can use goblins now

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Just Chamber posted:

It still sucks to play the Greenskins in the Old World, as always the Order-tide just rolls over everything and by turn ~100 you have the whole empire and all the dwarfs bearing down on you. And of course as the Orcs you cant really ally with anyone to help you take them on, Dark Elves, Skaven etc all hate you and only Tomb Kings will ally but they're so far down south it doesnt help at all. I really hoped this new patch would mix it up so that sometimes Empire doesnt always survive and get stupidly powerful late game, maybe the vampires conquer the middle of the map for example.

Not my experience currently. I attacked the dwarves early and eliminated that treat before it could become a real hassle. The mountains are mine now and I'm supporting the vampires in wrecking the empire. It's great.

The new orc units are really good at murdering dwarves. Stone trolls own. 30% missile resist? Yes please. Get lots of trolls

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah my past two games, Ordertide has collapsed. Guess CA was right it only occurs about 60-70% of the time now.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Paging Gejnor.

I will ponder this.

But i will also point out some things:

Orc units are not getting a ton of Melee Attack from the new tech tree, that is true.

They are however getting a massive massive amount of extra damage.

In my Grimgor campaign his Black Orcs are now doing 77 damage. When he Waaghs this goes up to 102 damage. This is mostly AP as you may recall as well. They are literally in Monstrous Infantry range of damage now, with respectable Melee Attack to boot and 120 armour (in Grimgors army)!

And i haven't gotten all the bonuses on them yet!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Past two have had vampires in a dominant position definitely. Empire well underway to collapse.

Edit: if hesitant to buff Black Orc hard combat stats, maybe stuff like vigor loss reduction or movement speed would be good? Having them able to actively outpace other heavy infantry that is fleeing would be a significant boon for Grimgor. Especially early on versus Dwarves in particular.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 24, 2020

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I wonder how much damage the Skarnsik damage over time poison he can give night goblins does.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I've only had time to play a gobbo heavy 30 turn Grom campaign, but I'm really interested in runnin' with da boyz later. People are mostly talking about gobbos and black orcs and the stuff they get with their respective LLs.

But... how are boyz and big'uns looking? Can you make boyz half as decent as Grom's goblins or are they a lost cause?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The other orcs are fine, but Grimgor's waaaaagh is a win battle now button. If you're in the position you want to be in you can turn back insane odds, particularly if you've got the immortulz into a flank or into a unit you want them fighting. The killing power of Grimgor's boys is absolutely insane and while Grimgor won't break any trash killing records, he folds any enemy lord in half with no worries. Once he's got 50%+ black orcs and big uns I can't foresee any army composition defeating him that isn't all dragons or something, but even then they're going to have to land eventually and they're going to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scrap upgraded Big'Uns can get up to 87 armour now with scrap and redline buffs, which helps them significantly when it comes to fulfilling their anti-large role.

Scrap upgraded Black Orcs get either a +10 to their bonus vs infantry, +10 anti large, or, if they're in a Grimgor campaign, +10 to leadership and the ability to cause fear.

They're a force to be reckoned with, but they lack missile defenses.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Scrap upgraded Big'Uns can get up to 87 armour now with scrap and redline buffs, which helps them significantly when it comes to fulfilling their anti-large role.

Scrap upgraded Black Orcs get either a +10 to their bonus vs infantry, +10 anti large, or, if they're in a Grimgor campaign, +10 to leadership and the ability to cause fear.

They're a force to be reckoned with, but they lack missile defenses.

My missile defence system is all gobbos deploying as vanguard.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Trying Grom in ME and I don't even know what I'm doing. The only way I can easily expand is by loving with Skarsnik or Kemmler. Raiding Frenchmen for cash and then dunking Skarsnik, all in order to avoid the elven hell war that is Ulthuan.

You can't make me krump fancy Elves when there's hippie elves and stunties that need killing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The addition of Grom as a problem for the Tyrion campaign made this poo poo much harder for beginner me. I loving hate goblins now

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Trying Grom in ME and I don't even know what I'm doing. The only way I can easily expand is by loving with Skarsnik or Kemmler. Raiding Frenchmen for cash and then dunking Skarsnik, all in order to avoid the elven hell war that is Ulthuan.

You can't make me krump fancy Elves when there's hippie elves and stunties that need killing.

Yeah the way I've played Grom's ME campaign is to krump all the Brets on your immediate doorstep (the AI will rarely attack your capital), go grab the Southern Grey Mountains and The Vaults, and then go sail into the Elf hell war.

Definitely makes things a lot easier once you've got two or three armies each sporting a WAAAGH! to help establish a foothold.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Gonkish posted:

bret is just unfavorable, which isn't even that big of a malus - particularly for greenskins, who don't have an economy based on such petty things as a building

take bret.

also punch skarsnik so you confederate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do ME Chaos all start in the same spot in the wastes now? Is the ME Norsca campaign good?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JBP posted:

Do ME Chaos all start in the same spot in the wastes now? Is the ME Norsca campaign good?

Norsca is the campaign to play if you want to be a chaos worshipper. It has some rough edges given you can still only take coasts, but your roster is more well rounded, you can take and hold some land, and beating up Archaon to steal his title never gets old.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eimi posted:

Norsca is the campaign to play if you want to be a chaos worshipper. It has some rough edges given you can still only take coasts, but your roster is more well rounded, you can take and hold some land, and beating up Archaon to steal his title never gets old.

I mainly want to attack the empire and then Ulthuan, but I do really like chaos champions and stuff. I do remember getting bored of the chaos campaign last time and also getting annoyed that your destruction was so fleeting as everyone just rebuilds immediately.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Luthor Harkon has 103% magic resistance and his gunline got to start at the top of a massive hill.

gently caress this game sometimes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JBP posted:

I mainly want to attack the empire and then Ulthuan, but I do really like chaos champions and stuff. I do remember getting bored of the chaos campaign last time and also getting annoyed that your destruction was so fleeting as everyone just rebuilds immediately.

Marauder champions aren't quite chosen but they are still a good enough frontline. And you get mammoths to just stump all over the map with.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
For head to head campaigns, what does the difficulty slider change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Chaos sucks and Norsca, while cool, isn't really "chaos" if you're into the gods and daemons and album cover stuff.

Game 3 wishlist: good chaos, please make ogres not rely on ranged