Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I'm home and still catching up, but:

Voodoo what the gently caress, why would you reset votes so close to the deadline AND vig the vote leader? It's not like you didn't know that using your power would reset the votes, because the power explicitly says that's the case. It's like you were hopping up and down for the chance to use your power on who you wanted to die, and not on who the actual lurker was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!

Oops I'm dead

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Apparently you covered this but

Voodoofly posted:

Oh poor spring child, if you think I wasn't salivating at the mouth to kill a lurker regardless of my alignment then, well, I'll show you the true path over the next however many games we hopefully play together.

You didn't kill _a_ lurker. You killed a specific lurker by goading the other leading lurker into posting. Why would you give a poo poo either way? And why would you knowing reset the vote count with three hours and change to deadline? Maybe even less time than that, since it seems there was a possibility that you thought it was even closer to the deadline than it actually was because of the 10:00AM comment.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Cidrick posted:

And why would you knowing reset the vote count with three hours and change to deadline?

Mafia edit: my profile still thought I was in pacific time. So yeah with either under a half an hour or under an hour and a half left, you chose to reset the vote count.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CID i didn’t know it would reset until this morning. My role pm didn’t say that. By the time I knew it would cause a reset pander pander was

And I said I wanted spoonsy over pander because I was already voting spoonsy when jammy started posting. It was one versus the other so made a choice. If spoonsy started posting it wouldn’t have mattered and I hammer pander instead.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Pander posted:

I explained to my wife how people pissed I wasn't around for 90% of the day and then I end up horsewhipping everyone into voting someone.

and that if jammy isn't scum I am so hosed tomorrow.

I'm going to stop beating around the bush here, and call you and Voodoo scum buddies. Based on how this all played out, it REALLY looks like Voodoo publicly berated his scum buddy into posting so that he could vig someone he knew was town, and try to force a no-lynch by doing it so close to the deadline to give the scum team a numbers edge early on in the game. Plus, you led the panic-vote at the last second on a thin case against Jam when there were no clear candidates because the leading one was vigged.

We have a lot to potentially to learn from night actions tonight, but we're not in twilight, so gently caress it, I'm putting my money where my mouth is

##vote Voodoofly

Sorry buddy. I'll happily vote Pander today if the votes move that way instead.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Cidrick posted:

I'm going to stop beating around the bush here, and call you and Voodoo scum buddies. Based on how this all played out, it REALLY looks like Voodoo publicly berated his scum buddy into posting so that he could vig someone he knew was town, and try to force a no-lynch by doing it so close to the deadline to give the scum team a numbers edge early on in the game. Plus, you led the panic-vote at the last second on a thin case against Jam when there were no clear candidates because the leading one was vigged.

We have a lot to potentially to learn from night actions tonight, but we're not in twilight, so gently caress it, I'm putting my money where my mouth is

##vote Voodoofly

Sorry buddy. I'll happily vote Pander today if the votes move that way instead.

Bold move.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

CID i didn’t know it would reset until this morning. My role pm didn’t say that. By the time I knew it would cause a reset pander pander was

And you did it anyway?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

Bold move.

Join me. Or on Pander. Both are good options!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cidrick posted:

And you did it anyway?

Yes. I already covered this. I justified it as spoonsy probably going to be a lunch candidate anyway. Hell he might have been vote leader when I did it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Cidrick posted:

Join me. Or on Pander. Both are good options!

I generally prefer to wait until the day starts.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

CCKeane posted:

I generally prefer to wait until the day starts.

Want to see if your night kill goes thru eh?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

Yes. I already covered this. I justified it as spoonsy probably going to be a lunch candidate anyway. Hell he might have been vote leader when I did it.

He absolutely was the vote leader. Votefinder listed him as the lead candidate with 4 votes in the post directly before your vig. Sorry, I just don't buy your rationale at all.

I'm sorry that you had to be scum in our first game back together, but it had to happen to someone :clint:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Cidrick posted:

He absolutely was the vote leader. Votefinder listed him as the lead candidate with 4 votes in the post directly before your vig. Sorry, I just don't buy your rationale at all.

I'm sorry that you had to be scum in our first game back together, but it had to happen to someone :clint:

Why on earth would I not want to use the kill on someone I had called scummy already, who wasn’t posting, and who was likely a lunch? It gave us to lunches today. We missed on both. I would have preferred chili as the other one but not enough people agreed?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Two lunches not to lunches

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Voodoofly posted:

Why on earth would I not want to use the kill on someone I had called scummy already, who wasn’t posting, and who was likely a lunch? It gave us to lunches today. We missed on both. I would have preferred chili as the other one but not enough people agreed?

You spent the better part of a day jumping up and down trying to get Pander to post instead of just using your lurker kill on Pander, and letting Spoonsy get lynched. Spoonsy wasn't the vote leader yet, but he seemed to be well on his way to being lynched for lurking. We still would have gotten two flips and more time to process the flip without having to deal with the last minute no-lynch situation.

Voodoofly posted:

Two lunches not to lunches

Phone posting is a bitch.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Want to see if your night kill goes thru eh?

I'm consulting my lawyer because this post made my eyes roll out of my head so hard that they fell out, the world's first mafia related injury.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

I'm consulting my lawyer because this post made my eyes roll out of my head so hard that they fell out, the world's first mafia related injury.

Smells like a deflection to me, folks.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Cidrick posted:

Smells like a deflection to me, folks.

Who said that!

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

CCKeane posted:

Who said that!

The ghost of good rationale

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.
oh man cid's posts just now are pretty good maybe he isn't scum after all

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

not to get too wifom but if jammy was vig then that means neither highwire or cid took it and a scum vig would be too ridiculous too pass up so that flip, imo, look pretty good for them

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

This is a tough one to untangle.

On one hand, it's really weird that Voodoo tried so hard to specifically avoid lurker-killing Pander.

On the other hand, that would be a pretty bold move for scum. There wasn't really anyone that was the imminent lunch target, so it wouldn't make sense to behave that way to specifically reset the lynch and save someone.

Voodoo can you elaborate on what you're saying here:

Voodoofly posted:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I kinda don't buy that the reset mechanic wasn't in your role PM, because... your role PM is publicly posted in the OP, and sure enough, it's there. Unless merk really hosed you, you're lying.

Voodoofly posted:

ahem, I'm the only one so far who has killed a townie. Killing townies is the most townie tell there is.

But seriously vote Chili today. We can examine Pander tomorrow.
I also don't like the sequencing here, as if you're trying to nudge the town into getting trapped in a dead end.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Cidrick posted:

Here's the problem I'm having with this scenario: if Voodoo and Pander are scum buddies, Voodoo isn't really saving Pander from anything... besides his own gavel. Spoonsy probably would have gotten hammered anyway. If anything, it adds an element of risk for the scum, because it allows for another lunch target, and that could have been anyone at this point in the game.

Killing a townie and forcing a no-lynch isn't really worth a big gambit: the scum were already well on their way to getting a townie (Spoonsy) lunched without the need for a big gambit. That would have numerically put them in the position that you're proposing without the risk of the gavel.

At the time the votecount was:

votefinder posted:

Votecount for Day 1

Spoonsy (4): Voodoofly, Hal Incandenza, Voodoofly, wins32767, Voodoofly, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza, Chili, Chili, Voodoofly, Dhaes, b-minus1
b-minus1 (2): Chili, Chili, Highwire, Spoonsy, Spoonsy, Spoonsy
Chili (2): Cidrick, Voodoofly, wins32767, Voodoofly, wins32767, Voodoofly
Voodoofly (1): Cidrick, Cidrick, Chili
Jamuraan (1): dy.
wins32767 (1): Jamuraan
Highwire (1): Pander
dy. (1): CCKeane
Cidrick (0): Dhaes, Dhaes
CCKeane (0): Highwire, wins32767, dy., wins32767, Dhaes, Dhaes, Highwire, dy.
Hal Incandenza (0): Chili, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza, Chili
Pander (0): CCKeane, CCKeane, Dhaes, Voodoofly, Voodoofly, Chili, Dhaes, Chili

Not Voting (0):

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 24th, 2020 at 1 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 25 minutes.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

It seems like the correct townie application of that power would be to use it later in the game on a day where the town is having trouble deciding between lunching a lurker and someone else. If played well, it would effectively give the town an extra day and forego the scum night kill.

The way Voodoo played it, immediately on Day 1, and before anyone really has the chance to even be a lurker, doesn't make a lot of sense.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Honestly I’m not opposed to taking out the people that got to pick first. We can start with voodoo. Sure we may lose some town, but scum definitely wanted to steal those power roles from town. It seems unlikely that scum submitted 1 for their numbers. I was surprised when our number choices were made public. Jmo

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

Honestly I’m not opposed to taking out the people that got to pick first. We can start with voodoo. Sure we may lose some town, but scum definitely wanted to steal those power roles from town. It seems unlikely that scum submitted 1 for their numbers. I was surprised when our number choices were made public. Jmo
What? You want to just lunch the top of the draft order?

Highwire
May 15, 2003

You see, I have this condition...
Man, the deadline timing really messed with me.

Assuming I have a big target on my head N1, my top reads are:-

scum

Voodoofly
Pander

possible third scum

wins
Hal

Town vibes

Cidrick
Dhaes

That is all.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Even if I'm squinting it's really hard to see the voodoo pander scumbros theory. It's just too much and honestly, I can't see Voodoo just spamming the thread like that when he really didn't need to.

Like, yeah poorly executed and a terrible call on his part but it seemed like he really wanted to do what he wanted to do and Pander really wasn't around for it.

More than anything he's coming across as a townie who made a big mistake. Now if Pander is scum it was a huge mistake. Still scratching my head on that one, gonna read him more in-depth now that he's been around a bit.

Sidenote: I am really irritated with the switch to "lunching". Like yeah, it's really good that we're not using lynching, cos that's a terrible word with a terrible history that we don't need to use. But lunching is basically just saying the same thing but now it sounds really stupid cos it doesn't mean anything. Can't we just use kicking or something similar? I'm guessing that over the years this has been debated in the community but that's my two cents.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Chili posted:

Even if I'm squinting it's really hard to see the voodoo pander scumbros theory. It's just too much and honestly, I can't see Voodoo just spamming the thread like that when he really didn't need to.

Like, yeah poorly executed and a terrible call on his part but it seemed like he really wanted to do what he wanted to do and Pander really wasn't around for it.

More than anything he's coming across as a townie who made a big mistake. Now if Pander is scum it was a huge mistake. Still scratching my head on that one, gonna read him more in-depth now that he's been around a bit.

Sidenote: I am really irritated with the switch to "lunching". Like yeah, it's really good that we're not using lynching, cos that's a terrible word with a terrible history that we don't need to use. But lunching is basically just saying the same thing but now it sounds really stupid cos it doesn't mean anything. Can't we just use kicking or something similar? I'm guessing that over the years this has been debated in the community but that's my two cents.

I prefer execute as a term, personally, and agree with your last paragraph yeah - I kind of feel like "lunching" feels like it started as a wink and a nudge that folks aren't REALLY saying the distasteful word, heh heh heh!

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

current reads

Highwire - town maybe?
Cidrick - town
Jamuraan - town
Dhaes - town
Chili - i think hal or him or both might be scum pushing for jammy mislynch
dy. - feels townie at the moment
Pander - i really think he is town, mostly gut
wins32767 - didn't vote but also mid day deadline was wtf so neutral
Voodoofly - same as pander
Keane - i think if chili is scum he is town. if chili is town it is a neutral read
Hal Incandenza - same as chili
b-minus1 - i still feel like he is scum, plus that draft order poo poo? i mean, come one, no way voodoo wins and keane weren't going 1,1
Spoonsy - town

scum team is b-1, at least 1 of if not both chili and hal, and possible wins if the other two aren't both scum

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Chili posted:

legit i think its just phone posting and autocorrect

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Just looked at everyone’s numbers again and I misunderstood the selection process for the draft. Hmmm

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

merk: is night going to be over once you get all actions or do we have a set time for day 2 to start

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Dhaes posted:

merk: is night going to be over once you get all actions or do we have a set time for day 2 to start

When I'm with you, Dhaes, the night never ends.

Highwire
May 15, 2003

You see, I have this condition...

Chili posted:

My theory is that Voodoo generated content and cred for himself with his constant hectoring of lurking players, including focusing on Pander - it creates an antagonistic relationship between them which is conducive to future bussing if required. However, Voodoo's Lurker Hammer really cemented it for me; after pulling the trigger on the vote leader rather than Pander (and there are other players with similarly low post counts), reseting the vote count before the deadline, and taking everything off the board, then running a train on Jammy.

The entire thing was a patently anti-town series of events; Voodoo could have hammered Pander and we could have lynched Spoonsy and I think we might have been far more pleased with that outcome.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

Just looked at everyone’s numbers again and I misunderstood the selection process for the draft. Hmmm

Can you explain the thought process around your previous post about executing the top of the draft order?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Dhaes posted:

current reads

Highwire - town maybe?
Cidrick - town
Jamuraan - town
Dhaes - town
Chili - i think hal or him or both might be scum pushing for jammy mislynch
dy. - feels townie at the moment
Pander - i really think he is town, mostly gut
wins32767 - didn't vote but also mid day deadline was wtf so neutral
Voodoofly - same as pander
Keane - i think if chili is scum he is town. if chili is town it is a neutral read
Hal Incandenza - same as chili
b-minus1 - i still feel like he is scum, plus that draft order poo poo? i mean, come one, no way voodoo wins and keane weren't going 1,1
Spoonsy - town

scum team is b-1, at least 1 of if not both chili and hal, and possible wins if the other two aren't both scum
I agree with this so much that it's kind of creeping me out. My only divergence is I think Voodoo might be scum. The role PM thing seems particularly damning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

dy. posted:

I agree with this so much that it's kind of creeping me out. My only divergence is I think Voodoo might be scum. The role PM thing seems particularly damning.

i dont know if the role pm thing has anything there, i was looking back at my own posts trying to find something and there was speculation that voodoofly role was a lurker lynch which i wouldn't have posted if he had posted the role in the OP, he also doesn't have white mage in the OP

i'm thinking merk added it there after it was activated just to clarify how the role worked