Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
So new Pride watchface with today's update. Am I wrong that this is the first full color, full screen ambient mode watch face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm not giving it to him. Not sure what else to say about it. It's unfortunate that we disagree on the specifics though. Can we still be friends?

I just don't think that a thing that hasn't happened one single time with over 6 million products of that type being sold, is a giant concern. It's ok to not be into that assessment, though.

e: oh actually its over 30 million apple watches, where the thing being discussed has not happened, one time.
"Listen, no one's ever died being shot by *this* particular model of gun..."

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Taima posted:

:words:
Can we still be friends?
:words:

No - you’d try to burn me with a bad lithium ion battery.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
It’s amazing this battery thing is still keeping the thread alive and it’s also amazing that goon hasn’t killed himself by even keeping the thing around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know which of the zillions of Apple app related threads this came up in recently, but this seems like a likely candidate: Sleep Cycle has re-added their watch app. It's a standalone app now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I always get close to perfect month of closing rings and then one weekend I sleep in and miss the stand goal by an hour. Drives me insane!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

I always get close to perfect month of closing rings and then one weekend I sleep in and miss the stand goal by an hour. Drives me insane!
You're holding your day wrong.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Housh posted:

I had a 6 month streak going on my Series 5 until I missed the move goal because my Watch didn’t recognize standing for a few hours. Now I only care about completing my move goal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The stand goal is bullshit anyway.

I got up today and was walking around for a good 15 min doing house stuff and it didn’t trigger the stand for the hour till I stood in one place.

Fucker.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

The stand goal is bullshit anyway.

I got up today and was walking around for a good 15 min doing house stuff and it didn’t trigger the stand for the hour till I stood in one place.

Fucker.

Yeah mine does this a bit. You can game it by gently swinging your arms like 20 times, almost always triggers it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My May challenge has been “double your move goal 4 times” which is an interesting one. Very easy to game since you control the move goal, but if you set your move goal correctly, kind of difficult to get without actually making an extra effort four times.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The stand reminders may be my favorite thing about the Apple Watch as someone who works sitting down and games a lot.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I gotta start jogging or I'll go nuts. My phone too big and I don't have LTE service on the watch. What's the options for offline music?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just copy music from my phone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Housh posted:

I gotta start jogging or I'll go nuts. My phone too big and I don't have LTE service on the watch. What's the options for offline music?

You can copy music directly to the watch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204691

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My old apartment made it impossible to get stand credit for some reason unless I had my hands at my waist for a minute. It was on the second floor of the building, but that has never futzed with it at other places.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SeANMcBAY posted:

The stand reminders may be my favorite thing about the Apple Watch as someone who works sitting down and games a lot.

Yeah it’s actually really good for this. I kind of wish you could tweak it though so it reminds you to stand every 30 minutes but then you still get the credit each hour or something.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You can copy music directly to the watch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204691

Overcast is also insanely good for podcasts. However, my watch hasn't been handing off the AirPods from iPhone to Watch properly, or (apparently?) downloading the podcast files -- anybody else having that issue of late?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Am I missing something or is there no way with Apple Music to create a "radio" station from a song when playing standalone off the watch?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

harperdc posted:

Overcast is also insanely good for podcasts. However, my watch hasn't been handing off the AirPods from iPhone to Watch properly, or (apparently?) downloading the podcast files -- anybody else having that issue of late?

There was a recent change to Overcast in how it gets podcasts to the watch, with mixed results.

https://twitter.com/overcastfm/status/1265704944855728130?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

smackfu posted:

There was a recent change to Overcast in how it gets podcasts to the watch, with mixed results.

Ah, that might explain it! I’ll keep an eye on the updates.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

smackfu posted:

Awesome. This is one of the few things I've directly complained to an app dev about. The new version sucked (it purposefully only synced when the watch was docked, but failed most of the time anyway, and there is no status indicator or progress bar on either device).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

So any time I’m playing audio of any kind on my phone, the Now Playing app shows up when I look at my watch, instead of the watch face. I know this is the default behavior, but I don’t want it.

I’ve had an Apple Watch since almost day one, and I could be going crazy, but I feel like up until about a month ago, I had managed to disable this, but now I can’t figure out how.

First question: am I crazy that it was ever even possible to disable this behavior? Second: if it is possible, how?

Edit: ok, I seem to have figured it out for myself ten minutes after posting. If I go to Settings > General > Wake Screen on the watch, there’s a list of apps labeled “Return to last session app”. Toggling Now Playing to off seems to have fixed it. This list isn’t there when I look at Settings in the Watch app on my phone though.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 6, 2020

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

So any time I’m playing audio of any kind on my phone, the Now Playing app shows up when I look at my watch, instead of the watch face. I know this is the default behavior, but I don’t want it.

I’ve had an Apple Watch since almost day one, and I could be going crazy, but I feel like up until about a month ago, I had managed to disable this, but now I can’t figure out how.

First question: am I crazy that it was ever even possible to disable this behavior? Second: if it is possible, how?

Edit: ok, I seem to have figured it out for myself ten minutes after posting. If I go to Settings > General > Wake Screen on the watch, there’s a list of apps labeled “Return to last session app”. Toggling Now Playing to off seems to have fixed it. This list isn’t there when I look at Settings in the Watch app on my phone though.

The “Return to last session app” section is new to me, but above it there’s a toggle (on the watch and in the app on the phone) labeled “Auto-launch Audio Apps” that’s been around for a while. Turning that off should do what you want too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

fr3lm0 posted:

The “Return to last session app” section is new to me, but above it there’s a toggle (on the watch and in the app on the phone) labeled “Auto-launch Audio Apps” that’s been around for a while. Turning that off should do what you want too.

That was already turned off. I still don’t fully understand what “return to last session app” actually means, but it did the trick.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think it means show your last app “screen” when the display comes back on, rather than the face.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This is stupid but, my wife and I are doing one of the Activity competitions. I've closed all 3 rings for the first two days, but have only earned half the available points for each day. I thought closing all 3 rings means 200 per, so 600 max per day. I'm not sure what's going on? Someone tell me because I need to crush her.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is stupid but, my wife and I are doing one of the Activity competitions. I've closed all 3 rings for the first two days, but have only earned half the available points for each day. I thought closing all 3 rings means 200 per, so 600 max per day. I'm not sure what's going on? Someone tell me because I need to crush her.

Closing the rings more than 100% gives you additional points.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Closing the rings more than 100% gives you additional points.

Oh, I see now. I thought each ring closed was 200 points, but it sounds like one ring is 100 points, but you can get multiple trips around the same ring for more points.

https://www.cultofmac.com/606710/win-apple-watch-activity-competitions/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does anyone know the magic sequence to get Nike Running Club to properly sync a run? I have a Nike Apple Watch 2 and have two annoying problems: 1) the weather list of cities gets wiped at midnight Japan time and replaced with "Bunkyo-ku", 2) the NRC app loves to sync with Apple Healthkit and then just drop the data from it's own log.

Like I go for a run, finish, see the map run and stats, hit done, then it doesn't appear in the activity list. Somedays I find that if I wait a few minutes with the app open it will appear as unsynced and then I can use the iPhone app to randomly sync it with the :yayclod:

Just to rub it in, the "Match it" button will show the correct distance of the last run, and I can always see the run in the Healthkit list of workouts.

(edit) Apple Support are super patient superstars. If I have Bunkyo-ku on my watch and use the watch to add New York, then that city will appear in the list but not become default. Check settings > weather, and New York is set as default. Hop over to iPhone and disable automatic timezone, then the watch changes from Bunkyo-ku to New York. Weird.

Have to wait through tomorrow to see if it still works.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 14, 2020

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's embarrassing how addicted I am to closing these rings. I finally got off my rear end last week to start exercising again and yesterday was a rest day but I took my dog for a 60 minute walk to close the move ring. I guess my dog likes the Apple Watch since her usual walk time was doubled.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nairbo posted:

It's embarrassing how addicted I am to closing these rings. I finally got off my rear end last week to start exercising again and yesterday was a rest day but I took my dog for a 60 minute walk to close the move ring. I guess my dog likes the Apple Watch since her usual walk time was doubled.

You can do the exercise ring when you do those walks too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Nairbo posted:

phosdex posted:

You can do the exercise ring when you do those walks too.
To be a little more specific, the Workout app has an "Outdoor Walk" item you can use to count your walking towards closing your exercise ring.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
The gentleman’s method is pretty basic and guarantees SUCCESS.. and rage / questions...

Every day at about 10pm-12am force press Activity app on your watch. Set the target to about 5 calories or KJ... wait a few minutes then set it back to your normal target. Will drive away friends, family and anyone else who foolishly tries to beat your amazing point target.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Because I am a cheap bitch I have always gone for the knock off sports bands besides the one my watch came with but I picked up the Apple Nike Pride band because it seemed subtle and fun in this depressing time.

My first Nike sports band and drat is it cool, the rainbow colors don't even go all the way through like the norm sports bands, the top half of the hole is colored and the bottom half is gray, between the white band and the grey bottom it's just a subtle little rainbow effect that I won't be too worried about being hate crimed over.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Once again drat you stand ring and Apple conspiring to never give me a perfect month.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s the easiest way to see humidity on the watch? It doesn’t seem to be anywhere in the weather app, even though it would be much more useful than AQI to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

What’s the easiest way to see humidity on the watch? It doesn’t seem to be anywhere in the weather app, even though it would be much more useful than AQI to me.

The dark sky app tells me the humidity for the day.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Last minute tweet leak?

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1274927908704776192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I thought the sleep was “confirmed” not too long ago? Hand washing sounds hilarious but you know what if it gets people to do it properly then go for it.