Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Q_res posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, someone did something really stupid and free XP'd up to the Shchors. How would one go about playing that boat?

HE spam from safety. If you're asking how to play a CL I suspect you won't know what "safe" means, but that just means now is a good time to learn. Avoid shooting when the other team can shoot you is the long and short of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Hiding behind islands, try to make sure juicier targets are between you and the enemy team. I sort of understand the broad strokes I guess (but not really, I suspect), how to do that and actually be effective at anything on the other hand...

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Not sure how relevant this is to other cruisers but seemed ok enough that I bookmarked it

https://imgur.com/a/5qJS5

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Q_res posted:

Let's say, hypothetically, someone did something really stupid and free XP'd up to the Shchors. How would one go about playing that boat?

You've got bad armor and bad maneuverability but excellent range and a spotter plane. Use that to HE spam at long range as support. It's really not an exciting playstyle but that's about it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also Shchors can really make DD's weep with it's Russian Railguns. It even has pretty good turret angles for firing front and aft.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Q_res posted:

Hiding behind islands, try to make sure juicier targets are between you and the enemy team. I sort of understand the broad strokes I guess (but not really, I suspect), how to do that and actually be effective at anything on the other hand...

Hiding behind islands and shooting isn't really a Russian Cruiser thing because of their low flying and fast shells. You basically want to angle away and shoot while kiting the enemy. Look for enemy ships that are pushing and BBQ them. And try to stay at long range as much as possible, so you can dodge long range BB volleys as much as possible.
It's not a super interesting playstyle, but it'll teach you how to kite and dodge shells. Chapayev gets more interesting because you can stealth radar with that.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Learn the Russian wiggle. rear end towards enemy, angled just enough to unmask your front batteries, moving at half to three quarters speed. Engage from long range. Make them do the burny burny dance until they start aiming at you; when they’re about to fire, go to full speed and turn away (or towards if you’re brave). Once you juke the shells, repeat. This is the anti BB method, by the way. Count to thirty in your head as soon as they fire, and when they’re about to die the next volley, say around 25ish, play throttle and rudder games. If things get too scary, stop shooting and disappear and wait until they point their guns at someone else to start again.

Offer void when being shot at from multiple angles.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Not sure how relevant this is to other cruisers but seemed ok enough that I bookmarked it

"This island looks like a mitten" made me smile :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Got the New Orleans which is a Pensacola with armour and a 10.8km detection range and the ability to murder air squadrons I love it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Meow Tse-tung posted:

A lot of these are good, and more importantly: funny.

Bookmarked.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

serious gaylord posted:

Got the New Orleans which is a Pensacola with armour and a 10.8km detection range and the ability to murder air squadrons I love it.

If you like the NO I have good news for you because the Baltimore is quite similar, except it was once a pretty good T9 that was then moved down to T8 with essentially no changes to it. :getin:

Meow Tse-tung posted:

These are good! They're pretty old though so some of them have been made sort of obsolete by map changes.

Also, you can and should (ab)use island cover in any ship in any class. It's free real estate. Don't have to camp it, don't have to sit close to it, but line of sight blockers can always come in handy.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 25, 2020

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I got a 30% coupon. I was gonna use it on premium but google suggests that premium sales aren't completely unheard of, so maybe I should use it on a ship I have no idea how to play effectively? What say you, goon friends.

serious gaylord posted:

Its a grind but it was legit a very good ship once you get the upgraded torps.

The Akatsuki is imo a worse version of the Fubuki in that it sees tier 9 gunboats that wipe it off the face of the earth in 30 seconds but its still decent.

I am however, very bad in torpedo boats.

Yeah, it didn't take long to get the upgrades. It's real good. I like it. If the Akatsuki is worse I might just stop grinding this line for now (unless the Kagero makes up for it).

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheFluff posted:

If you like the NO I have good news for you because the Baltimore is quite similar, except it was once a pretty good T9 that was then moved down to T8 with essentially no changes to it. :getin:

Its very nice for me because unlike the Pensacola, you can kind of get away with a major screw up in positioning because the turrets turn faster and you have armour.

folgore posted:

I got a 30% coupon. I was gonna use it on premium but google suggests that premium sales aren't completely unheard of, so maybe I should use it on a ship I have no idea how to play effectively? What say you, goon friends.

Yeah, it didn't take long to get the upgrades. It's real good. I like it. If the Akatsuki is worse I might just stop grinding this line for now (unless the Kagero makes up for it).

Its not a 'worse' ship, its just you see tier 9 destroyers, all of which have better guns than you and better detection range. You need to play it differently to the Fubuki, and I didn't enjoy it as much until I learnt that. Also please remember im not a very good torpedo boat player.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Tier 7 is just a very rough tier for destroyers in general. A lot of things in your matchmaking bracket outspot you, will absolutely annihilate you in a gunfight, or both. Reccent changes to the matchmaker (to prioritise keeping T10s in all-T10 games whenever possible) also mean tier 7-9 matches are very common, so you'll be bottom tier in games full of radar and extremely strong gunboats very often.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Reading the Atlanta thing made me dig mine out, and one game a CV could just waltz through and hit me with rockets multiple times, the next I poked out to help radar a DD while a Kita was around an island, ate a torp from a Kagero and that was it. That one was on me though, I was too aggressive and didn't think a guy would push like he did, but still thought the friendly DD would have helped.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

That one was on me though, I was too aggressive and didn't think a guy would push like he did, but still thought the friendly DD would have helped.

I bolded the funny part.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A Kagero sitting in the open, a Kita just around the corner. I still would have died, but goddamn, that Kagero would have been dead too.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The rocket planes really do need to be simply removed from the game.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

folgore posted:

If you don't have premium right now, get premium. It's the best thing you can spend money on in this game. Premium sales do exist but usually it's special deals for 180 days or something and they come around once or twice a year or so. If you don't have a bunch of doubloons already, those are also a good use for a coupon - you can get a lot of ships for doubloons in the armory and you get a 25% coupon for that for free every 6 months or something, so you can buy a discounted ship in the armory with discounted doubloons. Or you can buy premium time with them, or respec captains, or dismount special modules, or w/e.

Premium time isn't that expensive tho as far as subscription games go, it's less than :10bux: a month, so if you'd rather just pay that and get a ship, that's also fine, but if you want recommendations you should let us know what you like to play and what your budget is.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 25, 2020

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Beginning to think i should reset all german lines for research and simply never touch any of them again.
I seriously dont see the point in any single ship in the entire complete lineup anymore.

The DDs are poo poo, the BBs are a joke and the cruisers are "meh" at best.
The less said about the CV the better.
There is not a single redeeming quality to them, or i dont see it.

Is there any reason to play anything german at all?
Im not even ranting, im serious, it feels like everything they do, they are outclassed by someone else in addition to being spotted from the moon by night.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I really like German cruisers :shobon:

Also you don’t get the RPs when you reset a line, you get them when you reset and then climb back up again.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
Hindenburg is still good (especially if you have the special captain on it). GK is also not as bad as people make out.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Beginning to think i should reset all german lines for research and simply never touch any of them again.
I seriously dont see the point in any single ship in the entire complete lineup anymore.

Im not even ranting, im serious, it feels like everything they do, they are outclassed by someone else in addition to being spotted from the moon by night.

Almost all German ships are real bad, yes. There are a few exceptions but overall their gimmicks are pretty dumb and not particularly useful. Like, you can make a secondary spec GK work these days but in the end you're still better off in the Montana. The Z52 is a strong contender for worst T10 DD, of course. The Hindenburg is basically a joke these days and when I play BB's I consider it almost a non-entity - it'll sit at range and spam HE that does no damage and starts few fires, and if you shoot it with any 457mm+ gun it's a citadel pinata at almost any angle and range.

e:

davejk posted:

Hindenburg is still good (especially if you have the special captain on it). GK is also not as bad as people make out.

GK is the least bad of the German T10's, at least it has a gimmick that can be made to kinda sorta work now that you don't need to take IFHE for the secondaries. 406/420mm guns are not great at T10 these days though - the Montana makes them work with accuracy but the GK doesn't really have that.

I don't have a Hindenburg but as I said above, when I play BB's I consider it less of a threat than almost any other cruiser. It's got Zao levels of lovely HE DPM but without Zao's ballistics, stealth, torps, speed and fire chance, and the AP only works against broadsides. The improved HE pen really doesn't do a whole lot these days either. Its gimmick is supposed to be that it's tanky, but with all the 457mm's around it really, really isn't.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 26, 2020

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I liked the Konigsberg and Konig.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Wibla posted:

A lot of these are good, and more importantly: funny.

Bookmarked.

Yeah there's been a lot of good info that I really appreciate, but those are pure gold.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

Almost all German ships are real bad, yes. There are a few exceptions but overall their gimmicks are pretty dumb and not particularly useful. Like, you can make a secondary spec GK work these days but in the end you're still better off in the Montana. The Z52 is a strong contender for worst T10 DD, of course. The Hindenburg is basically a joke these days and when I play BB's I consider it almost a non-entity - it'll sit at range and spam HE that does no damage and starts few fires, and if you shoot it with any 457mm+ gun it's a citadel pinata at almost any angle and range.

e:

GK is the least bad of the German T10's, at least it has a gimmick that can be made to kinda sorta work now that you don't need to take IFHE for the secondaries. 406/420mm guns are not great at T10 these days though - the Montana makes them work with accuracy but the GK doesn't really have that.

I don't have a Hindenburg but as I said above, when I play BB's I consider it less of a threat than almost any other cruiser. It's got Zao levels of lovely HE DPM but without Zao's ballistics, stealth, torps, speed and fire chance, and the AP only works against broadsides. The improved HE pen really doesn't do a whole lot these days either. Its gimmick is supposed to be that it's tanky, but with all the 457mm's around it really, really isn't.

Thats kinda what i feel these days.
457s are growing, ranges go up and RoF is through the roof.

I really liked the GK for a time, but lately all i feel is despair.
With the detectability (13km by air) and its own range (19 if you take the legendary which is a joke in itself) the only thing it can do is farm potential damage it seems.
I literally got CV spotted at the 19:02 timestamp in an open water spawn last night, and was under constant fire until i died before i reached the closest cover because he was smart enough not to waste his planes on an attack but kept them in the air to provide sight.

Really, why does it have cruiser-range on its guns? Even if you dont slot the legendary, you have to take range upgrade in slot 6 to make it competitve range-wise, which still means you dont have the reload everything else takes, combined with a very long base reload to begin with. All of this with rather unimpressive 42cm guns. I would understand the low range and low RoF if it had bigger-than-yamato guns, but theyre laughable in comparison. Sure you could *not* take the upgraded guns, but what are going to do with 40cm on a BB? Spam HE?
I absolutely fail to see what i am even supposed to do in any given game that is not a roflstomp im tagging along.

Hindenburg has a surface detection that not only rivals but trump some BBs. Yes its got range, but so do others that do not have 14km detectability.
6km torps are yolo at best. The 5.2km on the AA im not even talking about.

If german gimmick was survivability at some point in time, thats played out. With the amount of HE spam these days it doesnt mean poo poo how much armor you theoretically have, especially if you are being spotted from across the map. Each game youre doing good with any of the T10s you probably would have done amazing in anything else. What do they bring to the table?
The hydro is nice, yes. Thats basically it. Its like complimenting a girl on her shoes.

Each of the 3 lines could really use a rework thats of course never going to happen since its germans in a russian game, and grudges sit deep.
Which is a shame, since theyre really pretty.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Really, why does it have cruiser-range on its guns?

It's got powerful secondaries and a turtleback which means it can't practically be citadeled from closer ranges, it's also got German accuracy which means the guns aren't that amazing at long range. It's also got a massive health pool.

The ship is designed to push in and brawl at closer ranges.

The problem is that most people don't play it like that, and the meta currently isn't very conductive towards pushing in and brawling with anything.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

It's got powerful secondaries and a turtleback which means it can't practically be citadeled from closer ranges, it's also got German accuracy which means the guns aren't that amazing at long range. It's also got a massive health pool.

The ship is designed to push in and brawl at closer ranges.

The problem is that most people don't play it like that, and the meta currently isn't very conductive towards pushing in and brawling with anything.

I read that a long time ago and thought this would suit my prefered playstyle, thats why i chose to actually play them.
Turns out its a fever dream though

The powerful secondaries require immense investment to be of use and even then are more of a meme than of actual use.
The massive health pool is 10% over ISN/USN and lower than Kremlin.
Citadels dont mean jack poo poo when youre being HE spammed from every cruiser and DD on the map from the instant you cough until you burn to death.

I absolutely WOULD like to go close and brawl,
but half the time i cant get close due to the above, the other half the enemy doesnt care that im brawling him and flat pens the poo poo out of me through any angle.

Still trying to find a way to enjoy this thing, but im running out of ideas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Der Shovel posted:

Also the Soviet battleships are better brawlers

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

folgore posted:

Premium time is a lot better deal than premium ships. Buy that.

Akatsuki isn't worse than Fubuki, you have more or less the same torpedoes but you're faster (actually makes a pretty big difference) and the guns are usable.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The German cruiser line is all good with the exception of the Hipper. The BBs aren't the strongest line, but they're clearly meant to be easy for newbies/bad players and they do that reasonably well (it just leads to people going into a cap four minutes in in their secondary spec kurfurst and then complaining that they only died because of HE spammers). It's just the German DD line where the tier 10 has the stats of a tier 7 ship.

NTRabbit posted:

no lol

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

James Garfield posted:

The German cruiser line is all good with the exception of the Hipper.

why tho

Like, sure, the Königsberg and Nürnberg are both good, but once you get to 20cm guns I really don't see why I'd want to play these things over anything else. There's just nothing they do better than any other line, other than maybe do direct HE damage vs some very specific ships. The AP DPM is good on paper but it's incredibly situational, and the tankiness is questionable at best.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NTRabbit posted:

Well I mean... They may have more main battery firepower than the Kurfürst or FdG or even Bismarck, but their armour is poo poo in comparison. They will absolutely eat massive citadels if they show broadside whereas the turtlebacked German boys are practically invulnerable to them.

E: also Soviet secondaries are not good.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 26, 2020

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

why tho

Like, sure, the Königsberg and Nürnberg are both good, but once you get to 20cm guns I really don't see why I'd want to play these things over anything else. There's just nothing they do better than any other line, other than maybe do direct HE damage vs some very specific ships. The AP DPM is good on paper but it's incredibly situational, and the tankiness is questionable at best.

One thing i noticed when shooting Nürnbergs is that they tend to eat massive amounts of overpens when broadsiding a battleship, kinda like the Smolensk.
Its debatable if being so fragile that AP doesnt arm counts as "tanky" though.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Yolomon Wayne posted:

One thing i noticed when shooting Nürnbergs is that they tend to eat massive amounts of overpens when broadsiding a battleship, kinda like the Smolensk.
Its debatable if being so fragile that AP doesnt arm counts as "tanky" though.

The Nürnberg is infamous for being explodey but it's a T6, all cruisers at that tier are fairly fragile and the maps are small so you can just camp islands all day long. When I talked about questionable tankiness I meant the higher tier German cruisers with turtleback, 30mm upper belt and fairly large HP pools. Those used to be pretty tanky but power creep happened.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Der Shovel posted:

Well I mean... They may have more main battery firepower than the Kurfürst or FdG or even Bismarck, but their armour is poo poo in comparison. They will absolutely eat massive citadels if they show broadside whereas the turtlebacked German boys are practically invulnerable to them.

E: also Soviet secondaries are not good.

Who is showing broadsides? They have hugely better main guns, better armour, more hp, a much better damage con, the secondaries don't matter. Soviet battleships are the supreme short range battleships right now.

Also FdG is not in any way invulnerable to citadels, it eats them all the time at all ranges, as well as having the problem of eating full pens everywhere else. It's just not going to do a Soyuz in a brawl unless you happen to sneak up on one at 5km broadside like a destroyer.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 26, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

At some point they'll probably have to. They can't reverse away from a charging FdG / GK, which means they'll show broadside at some point. They can't overmatch German BBs from the front either, so unless the German player fucks up they'll have the advantage. They'll have better secondaries starting fires and peppering the soviet BB in addition to the normal gunfire.

I mean if we're just talking about two battleships hanging out 12km away form each other, then maybe. But that's not brawling IMO.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
GK is not appreciably worse than Montana after its accuracy buffs (if it had better turret angles I'd call it outright better). The problem is WG has sort of rendered all other battleships irrelevant by releasing Kremlin and Thunderer, which are the best at everything except sniping and at sniping, respectively.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been on a bit of a boat break, are submarines in yet?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Played a few games of rankef. How am i to reliably damage a sinop using the KGV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Burns posted:

Played a few games of rankef. How am i to reliably damage a sinop using the KGV?

Use HE.