Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Midjack posted:

Fun Acura died when they axed all their stuff like the RSX and TSX sport wagon and they decided to move fully into the Lexus/Infiniti space.

The RSX ruled. The ILX sucks and is nothing but a tarted up Civic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Q_res posted:

He then went on to implement the exact same naming scheme at Cadillac (CT for cars, XT for crossovers and then Escalade probably because he got told he couldn't rename it), he kind of sucks, but at least he's consistent.
I think what the people who hire him miss is that Ferdinand Piëch was the driving force behind turning Audi into a Mercedes and BMW competitor. Even after he stepped down as the head of Audi to run the VW group. He was willing to spend the money and take the time to make it happen. De Nysschen took over from Piëch and just followed his plan and instructions. There’s a lot more to becoming a luxury brand then just changing over to an alphanumeric naming scheme.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

God I know, I still miss mine 8 years after I let it go.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Minto Took posted:

Isn't that exactly what the RSX was too?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

dissss posted:

It looked better doing it imo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think what the people who hire him miss is that Ferdinand Piëch was the driving force behind turning Audi into a Mercedes and BMW competitor. Even after he stepped down as the head of Audi to run the VW group. He was willing to spend the money and take the time to make it happen. De Nysschen took over from Piëch and just followed his plan and instructions. There’s a lot more to becoming a luxury brand then just changing over to an alphanumeric naming scheme.

you don't really understand what either Piëch or De Nysschen's roles were

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

Yes, but, uh...

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Jon Ikeda, the boss of Acura, makes all the right noises about it being a performance brand going forward, not a luxury brand.

What would be the business case for doing this? I can understand the rationale for keeping it alive as a slightly fancier brand for their high-margin SUV business, but if they put out a new Integra or something, I think it would sell like a wet fart, and I think a new Legend would sell even worse. Acuras were cool and all in the 90s and early 2000s, but is the brand really that strong?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
They tried to be a luxury brand but flopped massively.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Steely Dad posted:

What would be the business case for doing this? I can understand the rationale for keeping it alive as a slightly fancier brand for their high-margin SUV business, but if they put out a new Integra or something, I think it would sell like a wet fart, and I think a new Legend would sell even worse. Acuras were cool and all in the 90s and early 2000s, but is the brand really that strong?

This makes more sense if you let go of the illusion that anyone is in charge at Acura in favor of: senior leadership doing and saying whatever they need to do to keep the brand limping along for the next few years before getting the hell out and passing the buck on to a successor

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

RSX-S had a better engine than the Civics of its day though they were based on the same Global Small Car platform. The base RSX shared an engine with its contemporary Si.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Steely Dad posted:

There isnt one. That's just a remark meant to be breathlessly analyzed by the myriad of bloggers and then processed into many columns of word vomit of over thinking / outright making up a fantasy and generating publicity to keep the Acura name on the front page of various sites.

Meanwhile the ACTUAL performance brand of Honda keeps humming along. Of course it's not a standalone brand but "Type R" IS the badge and branding performance minded buyers are going to be looking at.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Acura and Lincoln are both very successful and profitable brands.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Midjack posted:

RSX-S had a better engine than the Civics of its day though they were based on the same Global Small Car platform. The base RSX shared an engine with its contemporary Si.

The was a Civic Type R back then (market dependent)

Also the ILX has the 2.4 which wasn't in the Civic.

E. Guess it was, weird

dissss fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 25, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

The was a Civic Type R back then (market dependent)

Also the ILX has the 2.4 which wasn't in the Civic.

Sure, the Civic type R had the same K20A or K20A2 that the RSX type S and Integra type R did at the time depending on the year and where you bought it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wheeee posted:

In an era of Signature, Platinum, Limited, etc, trim levels on mainstream badge vehicles which bring most of the amenities of actual luxury vehicle interiors, brands like Acura and Infiniti which mostly sell vehicles built on cheaper mass-market platforms no longer have any reason to exist; nobody who cares about the badge will buy an Acura or Infiniti over a real luxury status brand.

I don’t think the average buyer necessarily cares, but Infiniti at least makes RWD sedans that might theoretically appeal to enthusiasts, which Nissan doesn’t really do. Their existence for a while there was predicated on being a credible alternative to BMW but then they never really got any better, Audi and Mercedes got their poo poo together, they segment got more crowded and competitive and also people stopped buying sedans altogether.

So yea, I don’t really see why Infiniti exists but it’s got less to do with their association with Nissan and more to do with the fact that the market moved and they didn’t.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Infiniti made some neat stuff from time to time but it's basically been a failure since it's launch. Nissan abandoned plans to launch it in it's domestic market, which says a lot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you don't really understand what either Piëch or De Nysschen's roles were

Yeah, JdN was in charge of Audi of America, not the entire worldwide brand.

Steely Dad posted:

Because it was a performance brand when it first appeared, and just trying to be Honda’s Lexus is pointless because Toyata’s Lexus already does that better, is the reasoning.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I got turned off Acura’s when a friend of mine and his wife, who have had six or seven Acura’s over the last decade and obviously love them, said every one they’ve owned leaked oil.

I don’t know if they’re exaggerating, had bad luck, or it’s actually something common to the brand but I decided not to deal with it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Both Nissan and Honda tried and failed to do what Toyota did with Lexus basically.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Both Nissan and Honda tried and failed to do what Toyota did with Lexus basically.

Neither of them failed as hard as Mazda did with Amanti, though!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Because it was a performance brand when it first appeared, and just trying to be Honda’s Lexus is pointless because Toyata’s Lexus already does that better, is the reasoning.

I get that, but Acura’s current incarnation makes sense, at least to me, a schmoe who knows little about the business. They make some luxury SUVs, in a segment that sells well, and they have an upmarket brand for them. To switch from that to performance, which is at best stagnant, seems like a good way to start making less money.

Is there something I’m missing here?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

Do not look into the history behind the 2.0T engine, it will destroy the reputation you hold of Hyundai.

Sure, the original Theta being designed by a committee of Hyundai back when they were in the market position that Mitsubishi is in today, a severely declining Mitsubishi, and Chrysler is a good punchline. But that engine was totally fine.

The Theta II wasn't fine. From what I've gathered, the major issue is rod bearing failure, either due to excessive wear, poor manufacturing practices, or not getting enough oil from a bad oil pump design. The last 2 points have been resolved with newer Theta II-equipped vehicles but engine failures are still happening, albeit at a lower rate. Oil consumption is typically a harbinger of engine failure. The turbo Theta IIs have failed at a far higher rate; my guess is that the turbo motors are at least twice as likely to fail than the N/A motors. You can protect yourself by running a thicker oil (e.g. 5W-20 is on the cap for fuel economy on the N/A motors, but Hyundai puts in 5W-30 as the factory fill after engine replacement), being diligent about checking oil levels, and following the severe schedule OCI.

The saving grace that has left me content instead of racing to the nearest Toyota dealer is that Kia hasn't told me to gently caress off like Ford has done to DCT-equipped Focus & Fiesta owners, or GM has done to Silverado owners whose AFM lifters have failed a hair outside warranty. Someone at Kia understood that their reputation may never recover if they told the buyers of the first decent and memorable cars they sold in the U.S. to gently caress off. I have a lifetime engine warranty, and rental coverage for whenever my engine does blow up. And Kia has honored these warranties, even for people with turbo Optimas that were heavily modified.

Steely Dad posted:

I get that, but Acura’s current incarnation makes sense, at least to me, a schmoe who knows little about the business. They make some luxury SUVs, in a segment that sells well, and they have an upmarket brand for them. To switch from that to performance, which is at best stagnant, seems like a good way to start making less money.

In a market dominated by SUVs there is still room for a luxury brand to have 2 cars. The cars can burnish the brand's reputation through performance and design, which are harder to do with SUVs. They can also provide a better entry point into the brand than yet another dogshit subcompact SUV.

Honda has left money on the table by not making a new Integra ILX that eschews the rolling gaming laptop aesthetic of the current Civic.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I seriously do not understand why Acura has not gotten their hands on the CTR and took a hot iron to all of the drat creases and lines that makes it look like a goddamn Gundam and turn it into something that doesn’t look like a meth addict’s half finished origami project. Take a car that is by all accounts a very very nice sports compact and make it palatable for the late thirties owner that has a professional career and doesn’t want a car that screams boy racer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Golf R already exists.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Actually, yeah, if they really nailed it, I guess I would consider a CTR-based Acura sedan. I probably would still buy used, but I’d consider it.

KillHour posted:

The Golf R already exists.

Honda’s reputation for reliability would help with marketing against the Golf R.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 25, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Huge_Midget posted:

something that doesn’t look like a meth addict’s half finished origami project.

Gotta give you props.

My challenge this week is to somehow use this phrase in a conversation.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My father in law previously always had Acuras as company leases. He eventually switched because the car was noisier than he liked. Now he's in an Avalon. That thing is NICE.

Acura really only needs to sell the RDX (which is excellent), MDX and TLX. I guess they could throw enthusiasts a bone and have a coupe version of the TLX concept they are trotting about recently that they will sell tens of. Keep the NSX as your halo car of course that doesn't sell.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Steely Dad posted:

I never said the plan would work, I’m just saying that’s what Acura says it’s doing now.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

drgitlin posted:

Acura wasn't a performance brand when it first appeared. It was always a luxury brand. Import caps in the 80s pushed all the Japanese makers to at least consider launching a luxury brand so they could sell more expensive cars and maintain revenue despite the import caps. The Legend was a more luxurious Accord that came with a V6 not so much for performance as for prestige. Acura got the NSX in America because of the NSX's price point, not its performance.

Acura also predates Lexus in the US market by about 5 years.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The first car I ever bought was an Integra GS-R and y'all are coming perilously close to tarnishing the memory of my beloved torque-less beauty.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The first car I ever bought was an Integra GS-R and y'all are coming perilously close to tarnishing the memory of my beloved torque-less beauty.

I test drove a manual Integra when my AW11 met an unceremonious end and it was fuuuuuuun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

I seriously do not understand why Acura has not gotten their hands on the CTR and took a hot iron to all of the drat creases and lines that makes it look like a goddamn Gundam and turn it into something that doesn’t look like a meth addict’s half finished origami project. Take a car that is by all accounts a very very nice sports compact and make it palatable for the late thirties owner that has a professional career and doesn’t want a car that screams boy racer.

I’m not quite as bothered by the styling as you but yeah, if Acura dialed the lines back a bit and used the same powertrain or even better added their awd to a similarly sized car I would have taken that over the Civic Type R. If they do so in the future I would strongly consider switching to it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

PeterWeller posted:

Acura wasn't a performance brand when it first appeared. It was always a luxury brand. Import caps in the 80s pushed all the Japanese makers to at least consider launching a luxury brand so they could sell more expensive cars and maintain revenue despite the import caps. The Legend was a more luxurious Accord that came with a V6 not so much for performance as for prestige. Acura got the NSX in America because of the NSX's price point, not its performance.

Acura also predates Lexus in the US market by about 5 years.

The Legend had nothing to do with the Accord at the time, and arguably not now. The Integra was a worked over Civic. It certainly was not a luxury car even if it was marketed as one.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

That was a big part of why I liked that car when I was 22. Under 3000rpm, it was just a slightly nicer Civic, which was a very practical car. Above 4000rpm, hilarity ensued.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Integra, particularly the DA and DC versions, are some of the best FWD cars of all time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Huge_Midget posted:

I'm kinda scratching my head on this one because I've usually seen Civic Type R's owned by Millenials and the occasional X'er. It's not a cheap car and honestly? Most of us are that kind of professional career worker and .. well there's plenty of us out there.

Frond posted:

The Integra, particularly the DA and DC versions, are some of the best FWD cars of all time.

I'd go one step further and say the DC2 ITR is the perfect FWD performance template that hasn't been bettered.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really dislike the weird style of headlamps that modern Acuras have. It's like they have a row of diamonds?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BraveUlysses posted:

I really dislike the weird style of headlamps that modern Acuras have. It's like they have a row of diamonds?

I really dislike how those said headlamps are brightest loving things on the road, and are angled in such a way that blinds me if I so much as look at my mirrors in my low-ish car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm kinda scratching my head on this one because I've usually seen Civic Type R's owned by Millenials and the occasional X'er. It's not a cheap car and honestly? Most of us are that kind of professional career worker and .. well there's plenty of us out there.

Any middle aged car enthusiast will look at the rubber bands they call tyres and recoil in horror at the tradeoff in ride quality.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 26, 2020