Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

LingcodKilla posted:

Shouldn’t he be out doing something 4 are Troops this weekend?

Whatever he can’t disappoint me any more than he already has.

Those troops are already dead, what can you do for them? Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scope posted:

One of my secret worries is, we live in ABQ right now and if nukes go flying I’m guaranteed a close to instant death. KAFB is one of if not the largest storage sites of nukes in the US. My wife wants to move us East of the Sandia mountains and I’m afraid that a nuclear strike might not kill us instantly.

I'm far enough from any US military bases and just far enough outside of the blast radius of whatever's likely to hit Vancouver that I'm guaranteed to *not* be turned into a carbon shadow (you'd need to smack central Vancouver with a full-yield Tsar Bomba, and then I'd still "survive" with some third degree burns if a house didn't fall on me), and I think I'd honestly rather not suffer a couple weeks of my lungs turning into radioactive sludge and/or me dying of a skin infection.

I don't know if I should head as far east as possible if the alarms sound or drive towards the point of impact.

e: Man, it's been a while since I've opened up Nukemap.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 25, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm still planning to go to the tallest building in town so I can welcome the bombs ID4 alien style.

So pretty.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
100,000 deaths is a great success for Trump. He has killed more americans than anyone else since world war 2.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Living in Northern VA, even if I had an hour's notice it wouldn't make any difference in a full-scale exchange so :shrug:.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is “haters and losers” how he’s referring to the bodycount now?

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Do you really want to live in a post-nuclear exchange world?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
I miss this cold war "my town will get nuked first" pissing match. I grew up halfway between Buffalo and Niagara Falls and figured between factories and the hydroelectric plant that powered a lot of the east coast, we would all be dead quick.

Now I live rural enough that I'd probably survive. It's a bad feeling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm still planning to go to the tallest building in town so I can welcome the bombs ID4 alien style.

So pretty.

My plan is to stand by a sturdy wall with a paper towel roll against my crotch and try to make a nuclear shadow version of that dude who was mummified by Vesuvius in the jackin' it pose.

Well, that or holding a catcher's mitt up so it looks like I was trying to catch the MIRV.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Is “haters and losers” how he’s referring to the bodycount now?

keep the tweet date in mind but also probably

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Scope posted:

Do you really want to live in a post-nuclear exchange world?

Live? hell no.

the real winners will get vaporized first.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MRC48B posted:

the real winners will get vaporized first.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Republicans hate people being able to vote.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/politics/republican-national-committee-california-vote-by-mail-lawsuit/index.html

cnn posted:

The Republican National Committee and other Republican groups have filed a lawsuit against California to stop the state from mailing absentee ballots to all voters ahead of the 2020 general election, a move that was made in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

On Friday the state governor said all registered voters would get a ballot by mail.

I bet the GOP is really hoping this gets pushed up the the SC level.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That Works posted:

The monkeys paw closes so violently that it bursts into flames.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

This is his best tweet, hands down.

Nah this one takes the cake for the 'haters and losers' tweets:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/377947866641485824
But there have been some other fun ones over the years:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/302549902255325184
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/308365908420751360
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/321951327301296128
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/330359969813770242
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/338042150812012546
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/449836320572321792
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/550399835682390016
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/604838076586856448
And of course,
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/516382177798680576

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 25, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

quote:

Fuckface Von Clownstick
:lol:

Never heard that one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

:lol:

Never heard that one.

Jon Stewart coined it in 2013.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ded posted:

Republicans hate people being able to vote.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/politics/republican-national-committee-california-vote-by-mail-lawsuit/index.html

On Friday the state governor said all registered voters would get a ballot by mail.

I bet the GOP is really hoping this gets pushed up the the SC level.

Their campaign against this doesnt even make sense since there is currently no evidence mail in ballots help either party.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

lightpole posted:

Their campaign against this doesnt even make sense since there is currently no evidence mail in ballots help either party.

Can't close the polling places in certain districts if everybody gets a ballot in the mail.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No, trump, you are the Nauseas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
May 2020: Welcome to the Nausea Party

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hmm, that one doesn't work

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

June 2020 Current Events: Just six months until the worst year of your life so far!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
We got a whole 'nother week for something catastrophically dumb to happen to take the thread title next month.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I already have the November thread title ready.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

lightpole posted:

The biggest :wtc: is the fact that this is California. A state that orange piss baby lost by well over 2 million votes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php

quote:

'The price you pay': Sweden's 'herd immunity' experiment backfires

Unlike its Nordic neighbors, Sweden decided early on in the pandemic to forgo lockdown in the hope of achieving broad immunity to the coronavirus. While social distancing was promoted, the government allowed bars, restaurants, salons, gyms and schools to stay open.

Initially, Sweden saw death rates from COVID-19 that were similar to other European nations that had closed down their economies. But now the Scandinavian nation’s daily death toll per 1 million people is 8.71 compared to the United States’ 4.59, according to online publication Our World in Data. Sweden's mortality rate is the highest in Europe.

"I’d say it hasn’t worked out so well," said Dr. George Rutherford, professor of epidemiology at the University of California, San Francisco. "I think the mortality in Norway is something like ten-fold lower. That’s the real comparator." (Norway's daily death rate is less than .01 per 1 million people.)

"If you let this go or don’t try very hard or go about it in somewhat of a more restrained way rather than we have here, this is the price you pay," Rutherford said. "Maybe it didn’t hurt businesses, but you have twice the mortality rate of the United States. All those people who died were part of families and they were citizens and part of the fabric of Swedish society. And now they’re gone because of a policy that hasn’t worked out quite the way they thought it would."

Scientists estimate herd immunity for the coronavirus is reached when 70-90% of the population becomes immune to a virus, either by becoming infected or getting a protective vaccine.

Despite its relaxed response, Sweden is nowhere near to hitting that goal. Tests on 1,118 Stockholm residents carried out by Sweden's Public Health Agency over one week in late April showed that only 7.3% had developed the antibodies needed to stave off the disease.

The country's chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said the number was a "little lower" than expected "but not remarkably lower, maybe one or a couple of percent,” CNN reported. But the public health agency previously said it expected about 25% of the population to have been infected by May 1, according to the Guardian.

“I think herd immunity is a long way off, if we ever reach it,” Björn Olsen, a professor of infectious medicine at Uppsala University, told Reuters after the release of the antibody findings.

Other countries that instituted shelter-in-place measures realized antibody counts in their populations that are not that far behind Sweden’s. In Spain, for example, 5% of the population had developed antibodies as of May 14, according to a government epidemiological study.

UCSF's Rutherford estimated that 2.5% of the U.S. population has been infected with the coronavirus. To possibly reach herd immunity, "you're going to have to get close to 100% of the population being antibody-positive," he said.

"Now there's a tremendous cost in mortality for doing that, and there's lots of other strategies. It's not this or a vaccine, those aren't the choices," Rutherford said.

He said we can keep doing non-pharmaceutical interventions like contact tracing, mask wearing and isolation quarantines, but also develop drugs that work better treating people who already have the infection so they don't require critical care in a hospital.

Sweden’s government insists that it does not have a herd immunity strategy, but Swedish virolgist Lena Einhorn said that “they have denied it, but under their breaths they have acknowledged” the strategy, according to France24.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Yeah, Sweden's killing it.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Didn't Trump tout Sweden's "plan" as the gold standard some weeks back?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

stevobob posted:

Didn't Trump tout Sweden's "plan" as the gold standard some weeks back?

And all of his supporters on twitter and I’m sure they realize how wrong they were.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You see, the musselmen are well known for not respecting personal spaces, coupled with the inefficiencies of socialized medicine,

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yesterday I saw a guy say he was upset that there were so few remaining COVID patients in Colorado hospitals because we should've been keeping them full to build up herd immunity.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/126...ingawful.com%2F

o7

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thank you master chief

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Loverro’s departure has nothing to do with this mission or its safety. The best guess from industry/news sources is he violated procurement rules in the break neck race to get back to the moon by 2024. He said specifically that his resignation had nothing to do with DM-2.

Having some experience with the matter I definitely wouldn't put much stock in the whole "I just wanted to make sure we got to the Moon as quickly as possible!" defense, either. He's got a bunch of lucrative side gigs with various parts of the aero/defense industry and I'm sure none of that played a part.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That is a nonsense defense because there is an existing process for sole source justifications and mechanisms to gauge the ability of industry to meet contract requirements before you even issue an RFP. He would have been aware of these.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:patriot:

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1264904306358091776?s=19

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That’s disgusting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bloops posted:

That’s disgusting.

Less disgusting than the president playing golf on memorial day. Then again he likes heroes who didn't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Having some experience with the matter I definitely wouldn't put much stock in the whole "I just wanted to make sure we got to the Moon as quickly as possible!" defense, either. He's got a bunch of lucrative side gigs with various parts of the aero/defense industry and I'm sure none of that played a part.

Fallom posted:

That is a nonsense defense because there is an existing process for sole source justifications and mechanisms to gauge the ability of industry to meet contract requirements before you even issue an RFP. He would have been aware of these.

My point was his departure has nothing to do with the safety of the upcoming crewed dragon. My point was not that he “aw shucks’d” some contracts, just that the safety of the upcoming flights played no role in his resignation.