Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hrm, I think I've discovered a plot hole.

Fujiwara is a musical prodigy. Or frequently described as such and within whats reasonable for anime to depict, clearly she can sing, perform and so on.

But apparently the show wants us to believe that she can't whistle to save her life?

What are they trying to hide!? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My wife has played musical instruments all her life - flute, clarinet, sax - and she's unable to whistle. She can read sheet music, she's in a video game orchestra, she was in marching band, etc. Not a musical prodigy but her entire family plays music, and she can't whistle at all.

I have tried and failed four or five times to learn a musical instrument. I can read sheet music the way a weeb in Japanese 101 reads kanji - with great difficulty and looking poo poo up all the time. I can whistle like a motherfucker, reproduce specific sounds, do vibrato, all kinds of whistly poo poo.

It's not that uncommon to do music and be unable to whistle.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, it's not that surprising. I think whistling has as much to do with coordination as it does with musical skill. I played the piano all through my childhood and have perfect pitch, and I can't whistle to save my life. Actually, I think Chika is a pianist, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wish the adaptation of chapter 30 (Ai's Mission Impossible silliness) hadn't had the Pokemon Go subplot edited out because it was just that much funnier. I assume they couldn't get permission to reference it or thought it was dated or just didn't have the runtime to do it justice.
It's going to pop-up again.. And probably be even funnier.

Also thirding the "can't whistle to save my life despite playing instruments for the best part of 30 years now". I remember watching a cartoon that called it "having chicken lips", so yeah. :shobon:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

nrook posted:

Actually, I think Chika is a pianist, right?
Yeah, Iino mentions that in a previous episode when she described why she wants Fujiwara as a vice-president.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Whistling is just weird. I can only whistle by inhaling, for example.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I only figured out how to whistle while trying to make helicopter noises with my mouth. It's very much a lip and mouth thing that has no contingent on actual music knowledge.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Wow, that's going to be a hard episode to beat for best of the season. Maybe the finale will tease some proper romance again like the fireworks did and jump in front that way.

More anime, especially comedy anime, need to do fake early ED's, I really dug that. I was liking it even before the Shojo reveal, so I think it can have a lot of fun potential even if you're just continuing on with business as usual for the series.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
She can definitely also sing, as that was the focus of the episode in which Miyuki was lipsyncing to the school anthem as she was both the conductor (Which I assume is only given out to the best students) and also tutoring Miyuki for tone/pitch etc. If she was only playing instruments that'd make sense to me but its the singing aspect I'm zeroing in on as strange to me.

But then again I can whistle but not sing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I can sing but I'm terrible at whistling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Sorry guys, I googled it real quick and apparently skill in whistling and singing are correlated: [Link]

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Clarste posted:

Sorry guys, I googled it real quick and apparently skill in whistling and singing are correlated: [Link]

I'm sure I'd be pretty good at holding pitch when whistling, if I knew how to whistle properly

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I can neither sing, whistle, play an instrument, nor interact meaningfully with society! Checkmate thread.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

I can neither sing, whistle, play an instrument, nor interact meaningfully with society! Checkmate thread.

Ishigami is that you!?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

She can definitely also sing, as that was the focus of the episode in which Miyuki was lipsyncing to the school anthem as she was both the conductor (Which I assume is only given out to the best students) and also tutoring Miyuki for tone/pitch etc. If she was only playing instruments that'd make sense to me but its the singing aspect I'm zeroing in on as strange to me.

But then again I can whistle but not sing.
Remember that, while certainly talented, Fujiwara is actually kind of a crappy student.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Remember that, while certainly talented, Fujiwara is actually kind of a crappy student.

Actually Fujiwara has above average grades.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually Fujiwara has above average grades.

In a highly prestigious school so she's on a curve too!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Isn't that the fault of her awful, awful friends though?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Kaguya runs on Konosuba rules: everyone in the show is terrible in their own way. Even the Admin is shown to be something of a super schemer in addition to inconsiderate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Actually Fujiwara is perfect in every way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

Kaguya runs on Konosuba rules: everyone in the show is terrible in their own way. Even the Admin is shown to be something of a super schemer in addition to inconsiderate.

Like early on when his method of judging Shirogane's character was to have some woman he didn't know walk up to him and subject him to extreme verbal abuse.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Clarste posted:

:hai:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fujiwara being unable to whistle is proof that whistling is dumb and bad.

Musical talent can help you turn okay whistling into great whistling, but first you have to be able to purse your lips right to whistle at all, which isn't really something you can teach. Hell, I still don't know how to do the kind of whistle where you put two fingers in your mouth.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Clarste posted:

So far as I know this is correct. Speaking of which, there was some unfortunate cut content from this episode. Right after Ishigami first reads the manga, he says he wants to fall in love, and:

Also good Iino reactions this episode:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The lovely spoiler gang can remain on the other side of the 4th wall, though! :mmmhmm:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I'm so good at whistling that when I got a complaint for whistling outside at night I was still complimented for it sounding good. :smuggo:

Also the episode was very enjoyable or whatever. Miko's running gag, Ishigami falling to peer pressure once again, animation and art style changes, the great idea to play the ending theme early to surprise the viewer and so on.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Aww, they took out my favorite gag in the underwear segment

I honestly can't complain too much when the shoujo segment also exists.

I can't sing for poo poo, but I can whistle along to almost every song I listen to. I can even whistle while breathing in if I want to take a breath mid-song.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Isn't that the fault of her awful, awful friends though?

If by friends you mean Kaguya and Shirogane trying to sabotage each other, yeah.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

If by friends you mean Kaguya and Shirogane trying to sabotage each other, yeah.

How dare you imply that Kaguya and Chika aren't the best of friends.

This is making me want to re-read the manga to see the gags they skipped that I've forgotten. The scene where Fujiwara meets with the boys after leaving the ramen shop is great, and I think someone talking about it is what got me to start reading it in the first place.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to the anime, I cannot stop hearing "USO DE ARU" in my head without hearing Yutaka Aoyama's voice clear as day.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i do wish they had included the bit where kaguya asks if she could inject prez with something to obviate se-.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The voice acting of the "YAY I CAN SEE YOUR UNDERWEAR" bit was utterly perfect.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mirage posted:

The voice acting of the "SHE'S KILLING MEEEE" bit was utterly perfect.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
props to shiragone's va for his despairing wailing in this episode. loving top notch

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Dark Souls visual with the invader and everything :lol:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 30, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Mario Kart bit absolutely killed me.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Marine Kart looks like a fun game, when does it come out? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have been waiting for the doctor's visit since the start of this season and it did not disappoint.