Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

opengl128 posted:

I use the one you linked and I'm really happy with it. Zero greasy residue, smells nice.

meatpimp posted:

I have access to all of Zymol's product. I use their vinyl and leather cleaners and conditioners and it's one of their products that I really recommend. Especially the leather stuff. Smells like bananas and I've never had a leather problem after using it on at least a dozen different cars over the years.

A lot of their other products are "meh," but the leather stuff is legit.
trip report: ended up buying this stuff based on the recommendations here. the Meguiar's product seems to do really well as far as an all-in-one can go, it gave the soft plastic on my radio a bit of a stippled finish which I didn't like, but otherwise it did a great job of cleaning up scrapes and protecting without shine.

thanks for the heads up abouy zymol! my seats love this stuff and it really does smell like bananas.

on a related note, my front and rear bumpers need to be repainted really bad. would love recommendations on a body shop in the Boston area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man M27 is easy stuff to work with. I would almost not mind if the durability is a bit lower considering how quick it was to coat an entire car and wipe off. In full sun even.

I didn't bother doing a full correction on my BRZ since I did a pretty decent one on it last year and it spent the whole winter in the garage. I just washed really well and applied it on top. Next day in the morning sun it looks stunning, very glossy.

It was a sunny 85 degree humid day yesterday and that's when I applied it. No issue at all wiping it off after applying it to the whole car first even though I had no shade at all.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

thanks for the heads up abouy zymol! my seats love this stuff and it really does smell like bananas.

Glad it worked out for you. I don't know if it's worth the price premium, but it is good stuff.

bull3964 posted:

Man M27 is easy stuff to work with. I would almost not mind if the durability is a bit lower considering how quick it was to coat an entire car and wipe off.

I don't have anything bad to say about it so far. I've got it on the Escalade, which is an outside car, so I'll know more about durability soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I also coated the summer wheels with it as well before I put them back on the car, that'll be the real test of durability.

I'm all in on the hybrid ceramic stuff from megs right now. I was already using (and liking) the hybrid spray wax from last year. My one quibble with that is that if you didn't use a pressure washer to rinse the spray wax off, you were sometimes left with streaks. I also picked up their new ceramic spray detailer this year as well.

I figure that every 3rd wash or so it will get hit with the hybrid spray ceramic wax to keep things nice and fresh and I'll use the ceramic detailer as a drying aid otherwise. That should keep things pretty easy and stretch the durability of the application.

I may apply a second coat of M27 first though. It rained for about 15 minutes about an hour after I finished applying it. I cleaned the water off right away afterwards, but I know it says that it should cure for 24 hours so I'm not sure how much that short shower could have affected my application.

The Golf R was easy. Washed it with Carpro Reset. Dried it. Applied the ceramic booster spray that I got after the ceramic application. Looks stunning afterward. It was coated in Xpel's ceramic coating (after Xpel PPF) last year. Supposed to be a 4 year coating.

I will say though I'm a little iffy what I was seeing about the hydrophobic qualities of that coating afterwards. The car still sprays clean very easily, but there were areas where water was sheeting rather than beading even after washing. Though, in some areas, (like the roof) that seemed to change after awhile. When I first washed and rinsed the roof part of it was beading, part was sheeting. When I later rinsed the whole car, the whole roof was beading again. I was still getting sheeting on high exposure areas like the hatch and lower rocker panels. I'm going to guess that these are surface contaminant issues that may go away with time, especially after using the ceramic booster spray. From what I understand about the coatings, as the coating wears and some tiny imperfections develop, the beading can be affected, but the booster sprays fill in these microscopic pock marks to restore the hydrophobic properties.

This was the first real wash on the R in months due to weather, so I attribute a lot of what I was seeing to that. I expect things to improve as I regularly wash this summer. Visually though, things look just as good as they did when I got it coated in August of last year.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What’s everyone’s favorite product (and applicator) for dehazing headlights?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

blk posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite product (and applicator) for dehazing headlights?

The 3M one worked great for about 6 months until the single UV protectant pad application they give you is worn through by the sun

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Funny you ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDB5U4QUdD0

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I used this:

And a lake white pad to get a similar amount of hazing on my wife's xc90 lenses to this:

Last page but this worked pretty drat well for the amount of effort I put into it. Took less than 5 minutes total.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Building a shed up front by the driveway just for car related bits.

In headlight chat just use a kit on sale and make sure to use a powered drill
And don’t do it by hand. Clear over it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Would something like this be OK for applying polish/wax? Or should I really get something stronger?

I already have a bunch of 18v Ryobi batteries and this seems way more convenient than dragging an extension cord around.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 10, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't think that is going to help you for polishing at all, just applying and removing wax.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

So awhile back I decided to get the Clover clone of the Rupes 21mm polisher and I've been happy with it. Figured I might as well say something since I've had a chance to use it a few times. Build quality is seemingly very good. I got it from the Clover Store on AliExpress, I'm on my phone and I can't seem to make a good link, maybe https://m.aliexpress.com/store/v3/home.html?shopId=1823451&sellerId=221797543&spm=a2g0n.detail.0.0.5615657aF4ob7M&pagePath=index.htm&gclid= will work

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't think that is going to help you for polishing at all, just applying and removing wax.

What’s the cheapest tool for polishing? Anything in the $50 range?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Harbor Freight dual action. Hfqpdb.com will have a 20% coupon at least

http://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/BAUER+6%22+VARIABLE+SPEED+DUAL+ACTION+POLISHER

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
What's the best coating for wheels? Just use the Mr fix ceramic coat on them, or is the other recommendations?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Maybe everyone knows about this but it seems amazing to me, had scratches and rust in said scratches on roof of one of my Japanese campers. Used this Krud Kitter that was on clearance at Walmart and some dollar store supplies and I am stunned. Unless the RV is now going to split in half I see no downside. You don’t need as much just squirt a little on the s rubber and it just gets the rust off. Uploaded to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/PN-njmtruA0

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

everdave posted:

Maybe everyone knows about this but it seems amazing to me, had scratches and rust in said scratches on roof of one of my Japanese campers. Used this Krud Kitter that was on clearance at Walmart and some dollar store supplies and I am stunned. Unless the RV is now going to split in half I see no downside. You don’t need as much just squirt a little on the s rubber and it just gets the rust off. Uploaded to YouTube:

Krud Kutter also makes some cleaners that get dried latex paint, so I'm not surprised but it is very nice to know it works. What are you going to do to stop rust coming back? Looks like some deep scratches and cracks that are going to keep letting moisture and dirt in.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I filled them in with touch up paint. I just tried this because I was going to sand and prime the spots and wrap the whole roof and I may still wrap it white but this cuts out any need for sanding, I am on a ladder 10 feet in the air here so it doesn’t have to be showroom slick up there

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sorry for the silly questions if they've already been discussed:

- Are Griot's Garage products respected at all?
- Should I get a real polisher instead of using my power ball?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I've never used griot's polishers but they seem to be getting good reviews. If you want to do cutting/polishing on a whole car, the powerball is not going to work very well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Minto Took posted:

- Are Griot's Garage products respected at all?
- Should I get a real polisher instead of using my power ball?

griots stuff is great!

the power ball is fine for like polishing small things but you would never want to polish your whole car with it

everdave posted:

to be clear, you're removing rust stains, not actual rust. i still winced at using a green pad on paint but i guess it's up to you how you want to treat your car

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Dear AI,

Some advice please. Machine and pressure washing sucks and does horrible things to my car. I want to hand wash. I plan on buying two buckets with grate guard inserts, a couple of mittens. I want to use the pressure washer from the car wash to soak the car in clean water, then fill the clean-bucket with soap or shampoo (is there a difference?) and water. Going top to bottom and in straight lines, I'll very gently wash the car with the mittens, without applying any pressure. I'll rinse the mittens in the dirt bucket. I'll use a different mitten or brush for the wheels. Once everything is clean, I'll rinse once more with clean water, and gently dry everything with some large microfiber cloth.

Will that work?

Also is there an idiot-proof product that I can put on the coat to keep it protected? I'm kind of reluctant to apply anything else than shampoo out of fear of damaging anything.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Turtle Wax ICE Seal and Shine is the cheapest and easiest to apply post wash and dry and I love it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

griots stuff is great!

to be clear, you're removing rust stains, not actual rust. i still winced at using a green pad on paint but i guess it's up to you how you want to treat your car

That big spot was a rust stain for sure but it removed rust from scratches. Again this was a roof of an RV that I though I was going to sand and wrap anyways.

If anyone else wanted to try this DO NOT follow directions on bottle where it says spray it on and let it sit until rust disappears. Spraying it on a microfiber towel and wiping with it should have a similar effect. The roof was so grimy from sitting under a tree I am not worried about the green pad, but I would not do that on a "normal" car. If you have some light rust in roof channels or anything I would absolutely recommend this stuff, spray it lightly wipe it off with microfiber.

It took the deep scratches down to metal from rust and I was able to fill with touch up paint.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Minto Took posted:

forgot to mention, no worries :justpost:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
oh, this thread just reminded me... i bought an electric pressure washer, but never bothered to pick up a foaming lance for it

i take it that most of them are about the same and it's mostly a question of how much you want to pay the chemical guys' tax? as for soap, to take a different tact, i take it that their honeydew soap is decent enough?

e: #yolo, just bought some soap, a different orifice, and a matcc canon

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 14, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a bottle of Carpro Reset to use after the winter season, but for the most part you can't go wrong with Meguiars Hyperwash.

It's cheap, great suds, very concentrated (1 oz per 5 gallons).

Get a gallon for ~$30 and a 1oz pump and enjoy weekly washes for 2.5 years.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
any ideas on how to get this off a plastic grille? It was behind a license plate mount for 9 years. General cleaner and wiping with a microfiber got me nowhere.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

any ideas on how to get this off a plastic grille? It was behind a license plate mount for 9 years. General cleaner and wiping with a microfiber got me nowhere.

Can't tell from the pics, but it may have corroded the chromed plastic. In that case, nothing you can do. I'd try a magic eraser with some Simple Green as a Hail Mary.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Thanks I’ll try that, although you’re likely correct in that it’s Not Coming Off.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

How should I approach painting two adjacent areas, one with with gloss clear and the other with flat clear? Do I mask the second section so it very slightly overlaps then sand down the double thick bump?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my buddy sent me these pics asking if I have a buffer :aaa:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat :nms: that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Uhh what happened

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Guessing something on the roof rack was improperly secured during a braking operation.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Was the something a bag of sand?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

Was the something a bag of sand?

That's totally a boat/kayak/whatever that got thrown on top after being drug up on the sand.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Motronic posted:

That's totally a boat/kayak/whatever that got thrown on top after being drug up on the sand.

motronic is 💯 correct

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So whats everyones go-to for foam/soap to do washes on a ceramic coat these days? I just had my ride PPF'd and Ceramic'd. Just something PH neutral? Adams / Chem Guys ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BraveUlysses posted:

:barf:
Man oh man.

So dumb question time!
My wife has a BMW i3 that's pretty well taken care of. I clay-barred it yesterday, and wanted to try the M27 hybrid sealant on it. No swirls so would it be ok to throw some Meguiars polish on, use a polish pad, wipe it down, and then seal?